Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Today, I figured out that the oil leak on my new-to-me Bandit 600 was because the threads in the oil drain plug are knackered.

So much for a nice long weekend of riding. :(

Get an oversized self tapping drain plug. Bring yours into NAPA. It'll be sub 5 bux. I've done this many times with 100% success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't the oil pan pretty easy to drop on those? Doing it properly (drain oil, drop pan, tap threads) will make you feel mechanically omnipotent.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I don't know if I have a NAPA like that in Canada.

Yes, as far as I can see/read, the only thing in the way is the exhaust header.

I still need to remove the pan to do the oversized drain plug right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ziploc posted:

I still need to remove the pan to do the oversized drain plug right?

Oversized bolt route you don't need to. Just bring the bolt in and find something just slightly bigger.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oversized bolt route you don't need to. Just bring the bolt in and find something just slightly bigger.

Won't the ruined threads be pushed into the sump?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Won't the ruined threads be pushed into the sump?

Possibly, not saying it is the best option but it is a quick/cheap fix that I have seen people use before. I would at least cycle some oil through, even used, just to clean it out.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Installed a K&N air filter to replace the stock airbox and its assorted tubes. Bonus shot of the freshly-installed YSS coilover shock. I'm hoping all I need to do is fiddle with the air/fuel mixture without having to adjust the carburetor needle.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NitroSpazzz posted:

Possibly, not saying it is the best option but it is a quick/cheap fix that I have seen people use before. I would at least cycle some oil through, even used, just to clean it out.

I think I may attempt that. And in the meantime source a new pan.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Had to run some errands so I took the bike out. Came out of the store to see 2 guys get out of a truck and circle my bike. Asked if I could help them. Said they were just "admiring my bike." After which they proceeded to wait and follow me for 2 blocks before I got on the freeway, gunned it, and got away from them.

Got the first few of their plate numbers and went to the local police precinct but they said they probably wouldn't be able to do anything. They did however mention that there were a couple of bike thefts in the area this week and that might have been them. I wish I could have remembered the other numbers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thieves make my blood boil - I wish you got the number plate so I could hunt them down myself (ITG translation: try to google them a bit then give up, but still...)

Today, I set out to solve my leaky left fork. I've noticed that, for a few months now, my upper left fork cover has had a sheen to it, and stuck dead mosquitoes that I have to clean off, where the right fork is bone dry. The bike is two years old, but I told myself even sealed oil seals can fail early.

NOPE

Turns out that the Enfield forks aren't clamped to the top yoke, they screw in. The caps on top of the casquette serve two purposes - they're where you fill your fork oil, like in any other USD telescopic fork, AND they're also where you put a half-inch allen socket to screw the forks into the yoke. My left fork tube had somehow unscrewed itself over time. I also searched high and low for a half-inch allen socket/wrench, but such a thing only exists in speciality brake service kits, and I'm not willing to pay $30 for an otherwise useless kit.

Instead, I found a bolt in my collection that had a 1/2" head to it, put a few nuts on the other end, and used it to screw the fork back in. It took about seven full turns before it tightened up, which equals about 3/4 of a centimeter in total length. I bet not having a pressurized chamber on half of the front suspension is also what caused my shimmying on the highway, besides the short wheelbase itself.

Spanking Giraffe
Sep 4, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Geirskogul posted:

I bet not having a pressurized chamber on half of the front suspension is also what caused my shimmying on the highway, besides the short wheelbase itself.

Happy high speed wobble.

Yeah, I realize that high speed is relative, but an Enfield should be quite enough to kill you.

Any specific reason not to tear that fork down and rebuild it? Parts aren't that expensive. A good coffin is at least $2K in comparison.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Probably Hates You posted:

Had to run some errands so I took the bike out. Came out of the store to see 2 guys get out of a truck and circle my bike. Asked if I could help them. Said they were just "admiring my bike." After which they proceeded to wait and follow me for 2 blocks before I got on the freeway, gunned it, and got away from them.

Any chance you were at a store that had video cameras in the parking lot? I'm not sure if the store would even let you/cops view them but it might be worth a shot.

Spanking Giraffe
Sep 4, 2011

by Ozmaugh

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any chance you were at a store that had video cameras in the parking lot? I'm not sure if the store would even let you/cops view them but it might be worth a shot.

I don't think that's likely to happen since no crime was committed. No judge would demand that the shop release surveillance tapes.

The smart thing to do would be to wait a few minutes, snap a fuckton of pictures and sit it out until the bike is manhandled to the truck. Then call the cops. In reality this rarely happens, since we're just too loving protective about our own bikes.

The above solution isn't perfect though. I've lost a bike that way, but I was lucky enough to be able to settle things with a baseball-bat a few years later qua my pictures and other information.

Yeah, MC-thieves just plain sucks. I don't think they even consider that a large number of MCs aren't insurance covered for theft due to ridiculous rates. In my book there's only one way for MC-thieves: Heavy footwear and the river.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

<In regards to deleting the PAIR system from a bandit 1200>

Usually you can just hammer the reed valves shut and then plug the hole in the top with anything handy.

Well, trying to rejet is a bitch, since I can't seem to get the carbs out with the PAIR valve in, I'm getting rid of the PAIR valving first.

I took off four plates bolted to the cylinders with metal tubes that go to rubber tubes that go to the PAIR valve. Are these metal bits the ones I hammer shut? Or is there some OTHER thing I'm looking for? I don't see anything reed-valve-shaped, unless it's recessed into the face of the cylinder.

I'm about to cut these metal tubes about an inch past the cylinder and hammer them flat. If they're steel, I'm thinking about putting a weld on the front.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spanking Giraffe posted:

Happy high speed wobble.

Yeah, I realize that high speed is relative, but an Enfield should be quite enough to kill you.

Any specific reason not to tear that fork down and rebuild it? Parts aren't that expensive. A good coffin is at least $2K in comparison.

I haven't had a chance to take it out on the highway yet (Labor Day weekend - avoiding traffic), but the front moves smoothly now. It used to bind on the rebound about halfway back.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, trying to rejet is a bitch, since I can't seem to get the carbs out with the PAIR valve in, I'm getting rid of the PAIR valving first.

I took off four plates bolted to the cylinders with metal tubes that go to rubber tubes that go to the PAIR valve. Are these metal bits the ones I hammer shut? Or is there some OTHER thing I'm looking for? I don't see anything reed-valve-shaped, unless it's recessed into the face of the cylinder.

I'm about to cut these metal tubes about an inch past the cylinder and hammer them flat. If they're steel, I'm thinking about putting a weld on the front.

I'd just find the closest tap or die and either put an outside thread on them (and a cap nut) or an inside thread and screw in a short PTFE'd bolt. Much less hacky and possibly reversible if you ever need to sell the bike ;)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd just find the closest tap or die and either put an outside thread on them (and a cap nut) or an inside thread and screw in a short PTFE'd bolt. Much less hacky and possibly reversible if you ever need to sell the bike ;)

Good call. Not that I'm going to sell the bike, but it does look less hacky.

Seriously, I just removed something like 20 hoses that basically just go from the gas tank to the airbox, just with other parts in the way. Parts like the carb, or crankcase, or cylinder head, or exhaust manifold.

The carbs themselves took 9 vacuum plugs to cap all the stupid extra hoses. On the parts breakdown fiche from bikebandit, everything I just got rid of says "E33" or "CA only." California is rear end.

And on the mention of someone else, I rerouted the crankcase breather hose from the airbox to directly above the chain. That means that all the oil vapor coming out of that hose will now go onto the chain, lubricating it, right? That's an output hose and not an input? The hose itself has significant oil inside it, and there's a big, oily streak on the airbox where it connects. Should I put a check valve or a filter on it just in case?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On my oil case/crankcase breather, I put a quacker (duckbill?) valve on the end of the hose, and routed it over the chain. I still clean and properly oil the chain every now and again because the crankcase vapors are slightly acidic and nasty (full of condensed blowby poo poo) but it keeps the chain slippery in-between full cleanings.

Only downside is that, whenever I overfill the oil just a bit, my left leg and the cylinder head sometimes get a bit of oil splatter from the chain, but 10 minutes on the highway fixes that problem.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Looks like I'll need to rejet the carburetor on the Vino again. :sigh: I put my needle clip at its lowest (richest) setting and at 2 turns out it still bogs in weird places and a 1/2 throttle plug chop came out white.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Was at a bike shop for about 20 minutes and I came out and apparently the fuel tap broke/stopped working and didn't shut off when I turned the engine off. Result? Half the tank gone. :v:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Does your carb overflow onto the ground, or into the engine? If its the engine, change that oil ASAP.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got to hop on my bike for the first time in a week. Rode for 50 miles like a complete and utter dong. The SV is such a riot on back roads. I think this is the first bike I've ever fallen in love with.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MrZig posted:

Does your carb overflow onto the ground, or into the engine? If its the engine, change that oil ASAP.

Uh, I have no idea but the petrol was just pissing out onto the ground from near the air filter, just above the engine. pic here.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Odette posted:

Uh, I have no idea but the petrol was just pissing out onto the ground from near the air filter, just above the engine. pic here.

Yeah if it was coming out of the air box, it was also going into your engine. Check your oil level, guaranteed it's overfilled. Gasoline isn't a lubricant and will wreck your engine in short order.

Change that oil ASAP! And fix your fuel tap.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MrZig posted:

Yeah if it was coming out of the air box, it was also going into your engine. Check your oil level, guaranteed it's overfilled. Gasoline isn't a lubricant and will wreck your engine in short order.

ffffffffffffff. :smithicide:

Great, there goes 2L of awesome oil I was keeping for the next oil change. Oh well.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

MrZig posted:

While I agree that he should be checking/changing oil, don't some bikes have a drain for these situations?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Put a Wolo Bad Boy on the Ninja250. Murp murp.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

[edit] gently caress me- I just took the clutch cover off the GL1100 and found one retaining bolt MIA and one loose in the case, bent at a 60 degree angle. That would pretty much account for the awful noises the bike made the last time I rode it. I can cross "oil starvation" off the list, which is a huge relief. loving previous owner.

Well dammit, turns out the pressure plate is destroyed as well. You can see the cracks on two of the bolt thread towers:

Availability is dicey, I may have to hit up ebay. However I have this posted to the naked goldwing site too and they should probably be able to point me to where I need to go.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

AnnoyBot posted:

Well dammit, turns out the pressure plate is destroyed as well. You can see the cracks on two of the bolt thread towers:

Availability is dicey, I may have to hit up ebay. However I have this posted to the naked goldwing site too and they should probably be able to point me to where I need to go.

How did that bolt get so ... twisted? :aaa:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Odette posted:

How did that bolt get so ... twisted? :aaa:

You see the cracked part? The bolt was in there and backed its way out until it hit a rib in the cover (not shown), at which point it wedged itself between the drum and the cover. The mark it left is that ring you can see on the clutch drum; the bolt has a small facet somewhere too from the friction. The noise was horrifying and caused me to park the bike for 2 years while I pondered the next step. I thought I had lost oil pressure and fried the crank.

Actually the main reason this took so long is my daughter was born about 10 days after this happened so my garage time went away. I only just recently got some time together to pull the engine and dig in.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Just you wait - my son insists on "helping" with bike maintenance.

This usually involves finding a sharp tool and poking the bike with it. I should probably get him a very small hide mallet or something like that.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Saga posted:

This usually involves finding a sharp tool and poking the bike with it. I should probably get him a very small hide mallet or something like that.

My son "helps" me by putting small objects in my bike's exhausts. (sigh)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Saga posted:

Crayvex posted:

My son "helps" me by putting small objects in my bike's exhausts. (sigh)

Jesus I'm glad I'm sterile...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
If I say no, he bursts into tears and looks heartbroken.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Jesus I'm glad I'm sterile...

You can always adopt or use a donor, then you too can have your own "apprentice".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

If I say no, he bursts into tears and looks heartbroken.

You can always adopt or use a donor, then you too can have your own "apprentice".

When I first started wrenching on my cars, my dad was helping me one day and he ALMOST cried manly tears because all he ever wanted was to work on cars with his son like he did with his dad.

If I ever have kids, they will be helping wether they like it or not.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Kids are awesome. How else can you have one of these?

CONTENT: I popped a wheelie on my way to work today by grabbing too much throttle. I immediately wanted to do it again. (sigh) R6 hooligan is training.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Eventually I'm sure I'll want kids, but I'm not in a position right now (both mentally and financially) to have them. My dad would probably cry if he got dirt under his fingernails, my love of wrenching comes straight from my Grandpa and great Grandpa. I have a toolkit my Grandpa got me the day I was born, I still use some of them to this day. I will most likely adopt when the time comes, I've heard it's a bitch to do, but I work for the state and have a completely clean record. Unfortunately my wife has had some mental issues throughout her life and I am a little concerned she wouldn't be able to deal with it.

I recommend getting them their own really nice starter tool kit. Put it out of their reach and make sure they get to use it when working with you. Teach them the value of staying organized and putting their tools up. Break bolts loose and let them take'em out. Tighten them down and let the kid give it a good final tightening because they are stronger than you :toughguy: . Small stuff like that goes a long way. Above all bite your tongue when you bark your knuckles, my Grandpa had a small "parts room" that he would run into when he'd whack his hand or something and go looking for parts.... :fuckoff:

My original kit consists of:
10 and 12mm open and closed wrenches
7/16, 5/8 and 1/2" open and closed wrenches
5" phillips and flat blade screwdrivers
1/4" inch socket wrench - A really small one, I have no idea where he got it.
10, 12 14, 15, 3/8, 7/16. 5/8 and 1/2" sockets

All of it is old school Craftsman and it has been with me for almost 25 years. This is one of those things that if my house was on fire I would probably run in to get.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

oh man I saw this on NGW and cringed.

What did I do to my ride? Well I broke it. But at least it wasn't mine.

edit:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

All of it is old school Craftsman and it has been with me for almost 25 years. This is one of those things that if my house was on fire I would probably run in to get.
but they've got a lifetime warranty. just take it back to sears and tell them you got a bad set of wrenches :haw:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crayvex posted:

CONTENT: I popped a wheelie on my way to work today by grabbing too much throttle. I immediately wanted to do it again. (sigh) R6 hooligan is training.

Mine wears my trials helmet. I think the full face would be a bridge too far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Crayvex posted:

You used to be able to get one if you bought a new Volkswagen a few years ago.