Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, hands up if you thought that the punch-line was going to involve the Belt of Gender-Bending. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Okay, hands up if you thought that the punch-line was going to involve the Belt of Gender-Bending. :blush:

Oh my god it would even match up with Thog's fear of cooties :aaa:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Effingham posted:

I was thinking about the strip today, and something that occurred to me was the inversion of the Linear Guild and the Order of the Stick.

In the OS, the most important member and leader is Roy (the fighter guy) and the least useful and lower end of the totem pole is Elan; in the LG, the most important member and leader is the Elan analogue, Nale, and the least useful and lower end of the totem pole is is Thog (the fighter guy).

I love that they aren't only alignment opposites, they're literally polar opposites.

Good job figuring that one out! (It was the joke made back when Roy and Thog first met. Roy presumed Thog to be the leader.)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

You missed the bit in the last comic where Roy was almost back to being even with Thog until the dog got thrown through the wall, at which point he started raging again.

I didn't miss it. Normally with things like that you need to roll a d20 and Roy could just have rolled higher. But regardless of that Thog gets a +2 racial bonus to strength so I just assumed he's stronger. Unless of course Roy rolled up some ridiculously good stats so he can afford to match Thog's strength while outclassing him in all mental ones.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In my head, I imagine that Roy rolled insanely well (he apparently has above average stats in everything, with his lowest being either DEX or WIS), and the player decided to make a fighter so he wouldn't accidentally outshine the rest of the party.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Poil posted:

I didn't miss it. Normally with things like that you need to roll a d20 and Roy could just have rolled higher. But regardless of that Thog gets a +2 racial bonus to strength so I just assumed he's stronger. Unless of course Roy rolled up some ridiculously good stats so he can afford to match Thog's strength while outclassing him in all mental ones.

According to the geeks on the OotS message board, Roy has an umodified strength of at least 20, which is pretty drat massive. It means he's about as strong as a fighter of his level can possibly be.
I assume Roy is stronger than Thog when Thog isn't raging, but the tables turn when he is. They're in good balance.

And yeah, Roy has insane stats. There's nothing he's bad at.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Having hair, possibly.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

inthesto posted:

In my head, I imagine that Roy rolled insanely well (he apparently has above average stats in everything, with his lowest being either DEX or WIS)

His wisdom and charisma are apparently high enough to make him a talented cleric--when he died, the deva reviewing his charts wanted to know why he didn't go caster.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, he might've had a natural 18 strength then added to it as he gained levels. Then his Wis, Int, and Con scores all need to be significantly above-average to explain his proficiency, so probably each somewhere in the 14-16 range. His Dex can be low since he's never been a shooter or shown exceptional agility that I can recall, and his Charisma really only needs to be slightly above average to explain his leadership qualities, so maybe 12-13.

So that's like 18, three 14-16, one 12-13, and one 9-11. Pretty amazing and a rare set, but not totally insane. That'd be my guess at his stats, anyway.

Also depending on the nature-nurture approach to mental/physical stats in a D&D universe (you're not born with your adult stats, after all) that celestial might have been referring to how Roy had the potential to have trained up to a cleric, with some stat point shuffling as a result of this different upbringing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I legitimately rolled 12 14 14 16 17 17 on 4d6 drop lowest once while making a backup character, so it's entirely possible to get insane stats.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

wdarkk posted:

I legitimately rolled 12 14 14 16 17 17 on 4d6 drop lowest once while making a backup character, so it's entirely possible to get insane stats.

I've been present to someone rolling all 18s. He made a monk though so his character was terrible and died in the first fight. But those stats were amazing!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dolash posted:

Also depending on the nature-nurture approach to mental/physical stats in a D&D universe (you're not born with your adult stats, after all) that celestial might have been referring to how Roy had the potential to have trained up to a cleric, with some stat point shuffling as a result of this different upbringing.

Or Roy could have been one of those clerics with 14-15 WIS and Righteous Mights everything into the dirt.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If a guy with a Monk and all 18's doesn't do well at start, that player is playing a monk poorly.

Also, I think Roy is stated to have an INT score of 18 in one of the strips.

Nilbop posted:

Having hair, possibly.

Bald is Beautiful. :v:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Taerkar posted:

If a guy with a Monk and all 18's doesn't do well at start, that player is playing a monk poorly.

Obviously you've never played a game that starts at level 1.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
ANYONE can die in a game that starts at level 1.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Nilbop posted:

Having hair, possibly.

He traded his hair for an Encumbrance bonus

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, it was for +1 Charisma with the ladies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If it was me, I'd trade my hair for a
:siren: New strip! :siren:

No jokes and no real plot movement, but it's a hell of an interesting (and probably important) character moment.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That's some pretty hefty foreshadowing! I wonder what kind of dramatic setting there will be when we hear that line again.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Oh, man. I didn't realize until just now how badly I want to see the IFCC again. Or Xykon. Or Tarquin. (The fact that he was introduced this arc obviously does not preclude wanting to see more of him.)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

Oh, man. I didn't realize until just now how badly I want to see the IFCC again. Or Xykon. Or Tarquin. (The fact that he was introduced this arc obviously does not preclude wanting to see more of him.)

There will be a scene in which Elan, Tarquin, and Nale all fight and exchange repartee, and it will be awesome.

Oh poo poo, I hope Tarquin does a "still evil but will help/join the team for a minute" when he finds out Xykon basically wants to destroy the world.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nale is actually really good at recruiting people.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, I hope Tarquin does a "still evil but will help/join the team for a minute" when he finds out Xykon basically wants to destroy the world.
He already did. He put 2 and 2 together to figure out Xykon's threat level -- if Elan would turn from his obvious tyranny to fight this Xykon guy, it was obviously something even worse -- and then immediately offered Elan all the help he could ask for, because Tarquin lives on the world too and doesn't want it destroyed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

One thing this strip gets right is the villains. They're all entertaining.

If anything, Nale is the worst of them all, simply because he has no style. Compare him to Xykon, who is a lovable goof, or Redcloak, who is actually competent, or Tarquin, who is pure condensed bottled awesome.

And the IFCC could give all those guys lessons.

Nale really sucks compared to any of them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nale's gimmick is supposed to be his needlessly complex plans, but since several other villains have necessarily complex plans, it doesn't stand out.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SlimGoodbody posted:

There will be a scene in which Elan, Tarquin, and Nale all fight and exchange repartee, and it will be awesome.

Man if a villain joins a hero at the last second the villain gets killed to show how powerful the real big villain is. That's like adventuring 101. Tarquin wouldn't fall for that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ConfusedUs posted:

One thing this strip gets right is the villains. They're all entertaining.

If anything, Nale is the worst of them all, simply because he has no style. Compare him to Xykon, who is a lovable goof, or Redcloak, who is actually competent, or Tarquin, who is pure condensed bottled awesome.

And the IFCC could give all those guys lessons.

Nale really sucks compared to any of them.

I think the kindest thing to be done is damning Nale by faint praise. He isn't a bad villain, he's just up against really stiff competition. Were he the only villain-- if we didn't know what we were missing-- I don't imagine there would be any complaints. Especially since Nale screen time directly translates into Thog screen time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

It's Hill Giant - 19 STR
Stone Giant - 20 STR
Fire Giant - 21 STR
Frost Giant - 22 STR
And the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength give 18/00, not normal 18

Cloud giant was 23, and storm giant was 24.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

prefect posted:

Cloud giant was 23, and storm giant was 24.

Were these things even in the game?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nilbop posted:

Were these things even in the game?

In potion form, yes. In belt form, no.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't monsters actually not have ability scores in AD&D?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

In potion form, yes. In belt form, no.

:colbert:

Page 145 of the first-edition DMG.
:)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always forget that Storm Giants were the master race.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

prefect posted:

Image snip

The "game" in this case refers to Baldur's Gate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't monsters actually not have ability scores in AD&D?

They didn't, but the girdles of ... strength were one of the few tiered items back in the day and used the giants as the tiers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

The "game" in this case refers to Baldur's Gate.

Well, gently caress. :argh:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

prefect posted:

Ok, it's been a long time since I've read my 1e stuff. If the number in parentheses is the chance to open locked/barred doors, does that mean the number before that was something someone would have to roll to open an unlocked door? 1/8 of the time someone stronger than the strongest human just couldn't open a door?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That's for an unlocked but stuck door, or one that's been roughly barricaded but not barred. You roll against open door if someone pushed a dresser against the other side, or if it became stuck because it's been damp lately.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's for an unlocked but stuck door, or one that's been roughly barricaded but not barred. You roll against open door if someone pushed a dresser against the other side, or if it became stuck because it's been damp lately.

That sure sounds like a lot of fun! What a great statistic to have in your fantasy adventure games.

The grognardy poo poo in some of those older systems blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
To be fair, the game is Dungeons and Dragons.

I imagine doors would be a bit of a thing.