Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
I discovered why I never got very far in Deus Ex: Invisible War, the damned biomod system. You have to make significant sacrifices for a couple of the body slots because you can only choose one. I want to be able to cloak and hack computers goddamnit, don't make me choose :argh: I'd be willing to push past it this time, but now the game crashes when I try to exit the first area or when I save. It's like the developers don't want me to finish it.

I did finish off the last few missions in Swords and Soldiers HD. Not a very deep game, but it's a fun way to spend a couple hours.

I also finally polished off Myst III: Exile. The best ending is where you gently caress over the bad guy instead of helping him, and I won't let anybody tell me different :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Unbalanced posted:

I'd be willing to push past it this time, but now the game crashes when I try to exit the first area or when I save. It's like the developers don't want me to finish it.

This is the same problem I got when I first installed the game and ran it. I didn't bother researching it, and backlogged it.

Is there a common or at least guaranteed method of making the game not crash like that (for the beginning at least)?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Dear Hydrophobia: Prophecy,

That had to be one of the most mercifully unexpected and lovely endings I've ever seen to a game. And if that pile of poo poo was the third major overhaul that game received then I shudder to think what the original game was like. What a waste.

I also beat Deus Ex but that's getting at least two more playthroughs in the future. Hell yes.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Morter posted:

This is the same problem I got when I first installed the game and ran it. I didn't bother researching it, and backlogged it.

Is there a common or at least guaranteed method of making the game not crash like that (for the beginning at least)?

I did a little Googling and it looks like it might be a problem with running it on a multi-core PC. This makes sense, because I didn't have this problem with a Pentium 4 way back when.

Here's a fix:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=742335&postcount=12

but there's no Run function in the Start menu in Windows 7 so I'm stuck :downs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Unbalanced posted:

but there's no Run function in the Start menu in Windows 7 so I'm stuck :downs:

Just type cmd into the Search box and hit enter. It does both disk searches and what Run used to do.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yodzilla posted:

Just type cmd into the Search box and hit enter. It does both disk searches and what Run used to do.

Alternatively, hit the Windows Key (usually between left alt and left control, that brings up your start menu) + R.

Windows Key + R brings up the Run window.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through Bioshock and just delivered the rose to Julia Langford. So far this game is really fun, the environments are awesome and incredible to look at, really just an atmospheric, interesting game. I don't know how this game sat for so long without me touching it.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 1, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't get the immense overblown praise for it, but Bioshock still is a very well made and atmospheric game.

Deus Deus : Dance Revolution has been taking up all my time next to exams.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tell me there are dance quick time events in Deus Ex!

I'm getting through Metro 2033. Apart from the annoying and difficult parts and slew of bugs (including crashing on startup till I reinstalled PhysX) it is pretty fun. It looks amazing and feels like it is the first game to actually tax my computer. I also don't mind that it is on rails because it does it well, kind of like an interactive story. Gives me the creeps at times though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Iji for the sixth time (using the Null Driver). Between unlocking absolutely everything, my Innocent Extreme run, and my zero-damage Immortal run, I feel justified in tagging this one as Mastered.

What an excellent and curiously addictive game.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I liked original Alien Shooter better. The sequel has unnecessary things like dialog and plot tacked on, and that just takes away from the experience. The original used Half-Life method of storytelling by letting you pick up things if you wanted to. Shooting things is also surprisingly satisfying since one pull of the trigger will create carnage. It's worth trying the demo: the weapons there are still weaklings but give an indication of things to come.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Almost finished Puzzle Quest. I am in the last area, about to fight the final boss, but have to call it a night before that. Hoping this weekend to knock both Puzzle Quest and Bioshock out of the backlog. I think it's a realistic goal, seeing as Monday I don't have to work.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished Serious Sam: Double D. Neat little game, I guess it was worth six bucks. Next up will probably be more Command and Conquer of some kind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Backloggery editor update!

It may not look that different, but a fair amount has been added under the hood. All of the fields are now properly loaded (from the master game list if possible, and from the "edit game" page if not), and it's now possible to delete games en masse from backloggery.

There's still a few minor bugs to work out, and a few features to add (the ability to actually save the edits you make is the big one, as well as the ability to sort, group, and filter the game list), and then I think it'll be ready for release. My sister is getting married this weekend, though, so it'll probably be done sometime next week.

As for the games, with Iji mastered, I'm returning to EYE and Alien Legacy. Someone hooked me up with the CD version of Alien Legacy (which I hadn't previously known about), so now I'm debating whether to import my saves from the bloppy version, or start over and try to mismanage the colony less terribly this time.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I've been trying -- like, really really hard -- to get into Morrowind but for some reason, I'm finding it really really hard. It's kinda depressing since this was only the first thing on my list but I get to the starting town and from there on I'm stuck in this "okay, what now?" mindset. This is a little strange for me because I love open world and sandbox RPGs normally so I'm not sure what it is about Morrowind specifically that's such a barrier to me. Am I missing something here? Or am I just paralysed by hearing THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER constantly from everyone and in the mindset that it won't be as good as everyone says it is?

EDIT: Also since I forgot it completely, here's my backloggery profile; http://www.backloggery.com/superherofae I haven't added everything yet since just after registrations opened up again, my hard drive exploded and I just remembered about it now but I will be adding things over the next few days.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 2, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Faerie Fortune posted:

I've been trying -- like, really really hard -- to get into Morrowind but for some reason, I'm finding it really really hard. It's kinda depressing since this was only the first thing on my list but I get to the starting town and from there on I'm stuck in this "okay, what now?" mindset. This is a little strange for me because I love open world and sandbox RPGs normally so I'm not sure what it is about Morrowind specifically that's such a barrier to me. Am I missing something here? Or am I just paralysed by hearing THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER constantly from everyone and in the mindset that it won't be as good as everyone says it is?

It could be that mindset, but if you just start reading the books and traveling around, you'll start to see the game open up. It really is very good, but I wouldn't expect it to change your life or anything. Keep with it for a while. :)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I think Morrowind was too open ended for me, I had sort of the same problem, but I also I fell into the never-ending cycle of installing mods. Whatever you do, if you ever want to finish the game, either avoid mods altogether or just grab some of the recommended ones, then ignore the rest. There are so many out there that I easily spent more time downloading and getting them to work together than I did actually playing the game.

I had one mod that let you neatly arrange all the books you'd find onto a bookcase, I nearly had a couple filled up before I quit. It was insanity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hello, my name is Colon V, and I have way too many Steam games.

Listing out all of them (and counting sequels/expansions as part of the same "game") I have almost fifty that need completing. I don't think I'm up for listing them all here, but for the curious.

My spending habits have recently sunk into the money I was saving up for a trip to visit my girlfriend, so I'm kind of in the doghouse, and want to make a real effort towards finishing my old games before buying more.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Colon V posted:

Hello, my name is Colon V, and I have way too many Steam games.

Listing out all of them (and counting sequels/expansions as part of the same "game") I have almost fifty that need completing. I don't think I'm up for listing them all here, but for the curious.

My spending habits have recently sunk into the money I was saving up for a trip to visit my girlfriend, so I'm kind of in the doghouse, and want to make a real effort towards finishing my old games before buying more.
I think it's best to remove games you have no interest in, so it makes the goal closer for you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Keep them listed as "Null" as a wall of shame and impulse purchases!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, just finished Sands of Time, finally. I know it's a trilogy, but I've heard... certain things about the story of the second, and think I'd quite prefer just leaving it as-is in my mind, especially since I only own the first one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 3, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedd posted:

Keep them listed as "Null" as a wall of shame and impulse purchases!

That's what I do.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Whatever you do, if you ever want to finish the game, either avoid mods altogether or just grab some of the recommended ones, then ignore the rest.

Luckily I was advised that for the first time playing the game, I should play vanilla. So mods and all the silliness those can bring are no issue for me. I think it's just being paralysed by the openness in combination with not really understanding how the levelling system works. I played Oblivion before this and after loving up my build so badly that I couldn't continue, I gave up on that too. I know this game isn't quite as bad with it because enemies don't scale with you but it's still a really confusing system for someone who is more used to readitional RPG levelling mechanics.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
WELP I beat Necrovision: Lost Company. Definitely a better game than the first one (no lovely dragon sequences and the airplane portion that you get instead was much better) but the game starts once again getting lovely when you go into hell with the vampires. The final levels were lifted wholesale from the first game and the boss is just an excessive in tedium as you run around in circles throwing switches.

I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with that developer where those games start off so strong and then go downhill at the end. The weapons are fun as hell and most of the game is an enjoyable oldschool shooter but man does it get old. The challenge mode levels are horrible too but thankfully the one that gets you the rocket launcher is easy as hell.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Faerie Fortune posted:

You could try what I did, pick a random spot on the world map and try to get there. Along the way, explore any caves or ruins that look interesting. You might get your rear end handed to you on the way but I bet you'll catch the exploration bug.

You could also teleport from the Mage's Guild to one of the towns on the east of Morrowind that starts with Tel. Those are a good example of the unique environments that people really like about Morrowind. Might motivate you to see what else is out there.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm starting to see what people meant about Far Cry, I'm getting to a point where the mutant ape things are becoming increasingly common, and since one hit can take away half my health, if I'm not paying 100% attention, I'm dead. Which really sucks since you can't save anywhere, just checkpoints. Having points where three or four of the apes come charging out of a room without notice isn't very fun (or fair) when you have to reload to some point five minutes earlier. And this is on easiest too!

[rant]
Why do games, especially shooters, have such inconsistent difficulty settings? I've gotten where I have to set every game I play on easiest just in case the developers are some kind of sadists that like seeing players rip their hair out in frustration and/or expect everybody to be except gamers. I did BioShock on easiest, it was a breeze (but still fun). Doom 3 was fairly simple, once I learned what to expect from certain enemies/areas. Half Life 2 was a pain at times, and Half Life 1 a bitch, and Far Cry is just kicking my rear end. I guess I should be happy that they even have difficulty settings, unlike games like Fable or Just Cause 1 (or do these games have difficulty sliders that I'm not seeing?), though I wish more games were like the Elder Scroll games where you could change the setting without having to start all over again.
[/rant]

Anyways, I may just stop with Far Cry while I'm still thinking mostly favorably of the game. Part of my problem is not knowing when to just give up on a game that's too difficult and/or that I'm not enjoying, so I get bogged down and don't move on to other games on my list.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
I finished Limbo. I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere and animations are great, and I thought a lot of the obstacles were pretty clever. It's very short, which is fine, but a $5 price point seems much more appropriate rather than $10. Thankfully I had it gifted to me (thanks Dryzen).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo the ending to Cryostasis. :stare: I had no idea it was possible for an Eastern European development studio to create a game with a happy, uplifting ending.

Amazing game all around. Anyone that likes creepy, atmospheric horror games or unique experiences with something completely different for a story should definitely check it out. There are a few small bugs that you might run into (on part of a later level is blurry but it fixes itself on its own and you'll have to temporarily disable PhysX to pass some parts) but other than that incredibly solid all around.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Just finished a Deus Ex difficulty/Pacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds run of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What a fantastic game and exactly what I'd hoped a Deus Ex sequel would be. Got 37 hours out of it, which is loving long for a FPS/RPG.

I'm expecting high things from Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 and Saints Row: The Third, but it will not surprise me if after all is said and done, DX:HR is my GOTY.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo the ending to Cryostasis.

Hey, I finished that game this morning! I can't give it exactly as much of a ringing endorsement since I was completely sick of and irritated by the combat by the end of the game, but I totally dug the atmosphere and the :wtc: story. Worth picking up on sale, though I suppose in this thread I shouldn't be encouraging people to add stuff to their backlogs!

I've been doing pretty awesome lately, no purchases since Bastion. And I've ripped through a ton of my backlog. Got through all of Sam and Max Season 1, Serious Sam:TFE (holy poo poo, that last level was intense), Jolly Rover (I had stopped like 30-45 minutes before the end, of course), Mini Ninjas (dragged on a bit too long, was bored with the repetitiveness by the end), Who's That Flying (pretty fun poor man's shmup, worth the $2 I paid, but not groundbreaking or anything), and the aforementioned Cryostasis.

Now I'm playing DarkStar One and having a surprisingly good time with it. There's something fun about flying around and blowing up space pirates, despite the fact it's super easy and you do it about 400 gazillion times. I also downloaded Dark Messiah and Evil Genius to mess with when I get bored with that.

So yay, progress! I may finally get to my goal of having <50% unfinished games! 2.8% more to go! :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So I just got to the Library in Metro 2033 but I am out of filters. It would have been really great information to know that you can only buy them right at the start of the game as I really don't know if I'll be able to finish this level.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Red_Fred posted:

So I just got to the Library in Metro 2033 but I am out of filters. It would have been really great information to know that you can only buy them right at the start of the game as I really don't know if I'll be able to finish this level.

I had the same frustration at first, but found out that they pretty much throw filters every place imaginable. search corpses, nooks, shelves, etc and you should find one within 5 minutes. Also theres a shitload of places you can safely take your mask off. I kept forgetting to do that and ended up worrying about suffocating in safe zones. They almost always give you refills before you go into the gas.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Wrapped up Deus Ex: Human Revolution (awesome game, but I found it very punishing any time I brought any kind of preconceptions to it) and Tomb Raider: Underworld (I swear, the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games got more buggy and glitchy with each iteration - otherwise it would have been the best of the three, easily). Learned after the fact that they both used the same engine, more or less. :eng101:

My Steam backlog is now under 20, and I'm starting to get to the point where other platforms take priority.

That said, I have three 3D action gems left before another genre is Wiped From The Backlog, so I might as well queue up Bionic Commando, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and Assassin's Creed II. May as well finish the genre off on a high note, right?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm about done with Borderlands. 70 hours in and I've tried all the characters and ran through all content. The base game was nice, although I would have liked a little more overlapping missions. Even with an open world it felt pretty linear and you were always doing just one thing. Very rarely did you run into another mission while doing something. Zombie Island was fun, but too easy. gently caress the Arena, that was terrible. Knoxx wasn't bad but either I was getting tired or something about the level design was off. Robolucion was the best DLC, the humor was spot on and level design was nice.

All DLC was too full of grindy bullshit, though. Collect 250 brains, 250 robot pieces, 200 power cores... It wasn't so bad if you were lucky enough to bump into the correct missions right away, but some of them are only available at the very end of actual content. Who wants to grind the same areas once you've completed all other missions already?

The first 10-15 hours with any character are the best. Levels come quickly, you develop and the game isn't yet trivial. Once you hit level 25 or so you have become almost ridiculously powerful and all normal enemies are total pushovers. It gets worse from that point on.

Still, it was a lot of fun especially with friends. I would heartily recommend it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tolain posted:

I had the same frustration at first, but found out that they pretty much throw filters every place imaginable. search corpses, nooks, shelves, etc and you should find one within 5 minutes. Also theres a shitload of places you can safely take your mask off. I kept forgetting to do that and ended up worrying about suffocating in safe zones. They almost always give you refills before you go into the gas.

You don't understand. There is no way I can kill that thing and then run to get a filter before I die. I have tried like four times. I have even resorted to using trainer (don't work) and cheats (again, don't work). There is no way I am starting again.

Who thought that the filters were a good idea?

EDIT: I some how made it to Archives, I literally ran the entire way including past several Librarians.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 5, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I remember the archives being one of the harder parts of the game but still having supplies. Can't you just ignore enemies in that section though or am I thinking of something else?

Sporkles posted:

Hey, I finished that game this morning! I can't give it exactly as much of a ringing endorsement since I was completely sick of and irritated by the combat by the end of the game, but I totally dug the atmosphere and the :wtc: story. Worth picking up on sale, though I suppose in this thread I shouldn't be encouraging people to add stuff to their backlogs!

I agree that Cryostasis was at its best towards the beginning of the game when it wasn't so combat centric but some of the later levels like Fear with all of the inmates breaking free and the movie theater were fantastic. Also the original game was probably a lot tougher since they apparently added the water cannon post-release as part of some PhysX promotion and that thing is an insta-stunklock kill even against the blue-goggled dual-PPSH watchers. Plus it was nice that they put heat sources pretty much everywhere in the game you were going to need to recharge or be topped-off before a fight.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'd like to get in on this.
Linky

Currently playing...
-Demon's Souls (Need to beat it at least once before Dark Souls)
-Suikoden & Tales of the Abyss, peroidically

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat Honest Hearts last night. It wasn't bad but I really enjoyed the open environment. It was a nice change of pace from the no-guns creepy slog of Dead Money. That said, I never actually cared about the story or anybody in it. In DM at least I cared about and wanted to help Christine. OWB is next after I finish a couple mods. Everybody says it's the best so I'm looking forward to it.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Set this up instead of doing any work today :v: then proceded to start up Batman AA.

I gotta loooong way to go.

edit: Just beat Batman Arkham Asylum with every riddle solved and every spirit of Arkham found. What a fantastic game, I can;t think of a think I would change, it's brilliant. Why oh why did it take me so long to get around to playing that!

Fearian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just beat Blocks That Matter. It's a fun puzzler and just the right difficulty. I only looked up a walkthrough once and it was me missing something totally obvious, but I still had to take my time to figure out the puzzles. It's also more adorable than any game about Notch and Alexey Pajitnov has any right to be.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 5, 2011