Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Has anyone got any information on Wacom's Inkling? I'd never heard of it before today and I guess it's pretty new because I can't find any reviews. It looks awesome and it's not too pricey, but I'm not sure if I entirely trust it.

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9226&lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That looks amazing. The tiny size of the ink cartridges are a bit of a worry though. I sketch a lot with ballpoints, using pens with extra fat ink reservoirs about 3 times the size of regular ballpoints and go through them in a few weeks. Those tiny cartridges dont look like they'll last very long at all.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Chedranian Girl posted:

Has anyone got any information on Wacom's Inkling? I'd never heard of it before today

That's because it was just announced this morning! ;)

It looks amazing, seriously.

According to gigaom it uses a standard ink refil, so those won't be some propriatary money grub that will go out of production in 6 months rendering it useless.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chedranian Girl posted:

Has anyone got any information on Wacom's Inkling? I'd never heard of it before today and I guess it's pretty new because I can't find any reviews. It looks awesome and it's not too pricey, but I'm not sure if I entirely trust it.

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9226&lang=en

Here's the Wacom promotional video on the inkling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

It seems like a cool toy, and the portability of it would be great. However, I imagine the inability to 'undo' lines might be annoying (for those of us used to abusing the undo button). I guess it depends on how much you like physical media.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Sounds like a really expensive way to scan your traditional drawings.

I don't see any benefits over drawing on regular paper with the tool of your choice and then scanning it. It's not like you're going to be making finished work with that dinky pen, so you're working over it regardless.

I don't see the point. Seems like a toy to sell people, not a serious art tool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It saves as layerable vectors. That's a hell of a lot more versatile than a scan.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I can see a lot of uses for the Inkling, coming from comics perspective.

You could use it while doing sketches at conventions so you have digital versions off all the sketches you did without needing to photograph them.

And as for me, my drawings on paper always seem to be better than my drawings on a tablet. I'm also terrible at inking, so being able to tweak my vectorized lines in Illustrator would be amazing.

And adding layers while you draw? That's awesome. Proportions layer, body layer, clothing layer, details layer.

It would also make it way easy to throw the drawings into photoshop to colour them. I hate having to fiddle with my scans so much. Levels adjustments, erasing pencil and eraser smudges, etc...

Though it would be cool to have different colours of ink to work with to help separate your layers visually.

Halx
Jun 13, 2002

No sound on this one, but it shows some of the things you can do with importing and working with the vector based art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvTQWjLw5g

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009
I own the Wacom Bamboo (Small) Pen Tablet and could never get used to it, aside from also procrastinating all the time. But this new Inkling sounds like the perfect piece for me. Anyone know the release date?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not a live input surface like a tablet though. It's more of a recording of all your pen strokes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So potentially silly question but when I'm drawing in photoshop with my cintiq it seems that if I draw too fast I get this atrociously ugly thick black line that appears out of no where where I'm drawing. Anyone know what setting to fix this?

On a related note I finally figured out how to broadcast my work live on Justintv as I draw, it's great for getting in real time pointers from people as it lets me conveniently adjust for their advice.

On a side note I need to invest in a mirror so I can see my hands in perspective.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Raenir Salazar posted:

So potentially silly question but when I'm drawing in photoshop with my cintiq it seems that if I draw too fast I get this atrociously ugly thick black line that appears out of no where where I'm drawing. Anyone know what setting to fix this?

Does it matter what brush settings and/or colors you are using? Are you able to erase it, or do you need to use undo to get rid of it? I'm on a 12wx and can't seem to reproduce what you described, using PS CS4 64-bit. As far as the tablet settings, I have tip feel set just a tad on the soft side, maybe 45%. The rest of the settings are default. A quick search mentions that having the double click distance set too high can cause your strokes to connect to each other, perhaps this is happening to you as well?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
http://www.justin.tv/raenirsalazar/b/293979155

At 44:30 to 44:40 it happens, that's just one instance, it kept happening like every 5 or so strokes on average. It seemed to be a bit worse while broadcasting due to some lagginess making me press harder/draw faster

Side note, you might want to mute it due to my music probably being terrible for most people :ohdear: (Also warning, first 20 minutes or so there's periods where I hadn't realized my microphone was unmuted so loud fan noises ensue, so just skip that)

On a side note, I would love it if anyone was willing to watch me draw and give me pointers, anyone got spare time in the near future? I'm just not sure how best to organize this. During that video people in chat were helping me with the hands giving me advice.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I can't believe how nice the jump from a Trust to an Intuos was. It's a joy drawing with this thing.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Raenir Salazar posted:

On a side note, I would love it if anyone was willing to watch me draw and give me pointers, anyone got spare time in the near future? I'm just not sure how best to organize this. During that video people in chat were helping me with the hands giving me advice.
The Daily Drawing thread might be a good place to ask about this (or just announce it and see if people show up), it's fairly active.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I think my graphire4 is finally dead. :( I plug it in, the blue light flashes, and none of the buttons or pen work.

This is super depressing, and makes me hope I get my backpay from work very soon to afford an intuos.

But on that note, what's the word so far on the inkling? The idea seems interesting, but I can't imagine using it for anything more than line work...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Inkling isn't quite out yet, but it looks amazing. Might need to get a birthday present for myself. :D

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ
This isn't really a Wacom product per say, but I thought it's still very cool to share:

http://youtu.be/i7FdgIVn0Qw - Lenovo ThinkPad with pressure sensitive stylus. Anyone keen to get one to test out ;)?

I have the ep121 which is quite awesome to use, but considering the size of this, it's price and battery life it certainly looks very appealing!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

This brings up a very interesting question for me.

I am in the market to buy a new cintiq ORRR or tablet PC / android tablet.

The new cintiq 21 is around 2k. For that money I can get a pretty good tablet PC or a drat GOOD android tablet.

The haggling point for me is whether it is more important as a portable device for on the go sketching / surfing. The android should be fine for this. Or, will I be using it more zbrush / maya 3d apps etc. in which case the cintiq would be more appropriate (and more expensive!). There is also the strong possibility that there will be a new multitouch 15inch cintiq around the corner.

My friend's Asus tablet PC also seems to handle 2d well and 3d OK, despite being an intel GPU. His tablet is a little over 1k but pretty adequate for both 2d and 3d.

So . . . up to $500 for an android honeycomb tablet with sketchbook . . . or $1k or more for the auss tabletPC . . . or $2k for the cintiq, unless I want to wait for the new version.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I am just considering an inkling to hold me over until the new cintiq comes out. $200 preicepoint is pretty great for what it is. No one seems to have a release date and amazon is already backordered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For me looking at the wacom enabled fujitsu's I found it next to impossible to really justify them, in the end I went for the 1000$ cintiq expecting an equally pricey new latop and just use them together. I get a great gaming laptop, with the ability to sketch.

Had to order a HDMI/DVI converter thing with the laptop though. Should arrive in a few days.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I have been using the ASUS ep121 slate for about six months now. I'm mostly satisfied, but there are some problems. The battery life is terrible, and I had to RMA for a fan problem. Otherwise it's great. I think the Samsung Series 7 slate will be the best option when it's released. http://www.umpcportal.com/2011/09/samsung-series-7-tablet-hands-on-video/

I don't understand why people pay the absurd amount of money for a Cintiq, unless their employer is footing the bill. I know it's got more pressure sensitivity, but it's ridiculous how much they cost. Hopefully advancements in smartphones and tablets will create a more competitive atmosphere for pressure sensitive touch screen technology.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 6, 2011

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ

MY ABACUS! posted:

I don't understand why people pay the absurd amount of money for a Cintiq, unless their employer is footing the bill. I know it's got more pressure sensitivity, but it's ridiculous how much they cost. Hopefully advancements in smartphones and tablets will create a more competitive atmosphere for pressure sensitive touch screen technology.

It's a world of difference working on the 21" cintiq compared to the ep121. You really can't compare the two. Also smartphones and tablets aren't going to be competing with a large monitor regardless, as they are targeted at a different user.

The cintiq is very expensive, but I really can't see any other manufacture entering that space as the market is very niche. Sure it would be great to push Wacom to be more competitive with their pricing and innovation but the chance of that happening is very slim.

Cintiq is a great tool, but it would be hard to justify it if using it is not your primary source of income. If it is, you really can't go back to anything else after using one.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I'm sure you're right about the quality difference. I guess what I was thinking was more like what would happen if Apple suddenly decided they wanted a pressure sensitive stylus on iPads or Macbook screens. I think then the tides would shift a bit.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Apple stuff is just as expensive as Wacom stuff. I'm sure they could do it well, but it's not like they'd be very competitive on price if they did. I'm sure it would cause a lot of anguish since artists would have to choose between two familiar companies, though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah, I really wish Wacom had at least one serious comepetitor!! No serious artist buys any other tablets other than Wacom.

paberu: I had a Cintiq 12 UX but ended up selling it because it wasn't as portable as I wanted and honestly, the 21 version is better for a number of reasons. Also - I am very, very curious about the pricepoint for the new 15 inch multitouch model they have coming out soon.

My friend has the ASUS ep121 and has been trying to convince me to buy that over the cintiq. I have been arguing that the Asus doesn't have an nvidia GPU and the i5 isn't powerful enough for 3d. However, I have used it at his place, and I admit for 2d stuff there doesn't seem to be any lag.

So again my options are:

Android tablet (that Samsung looks cool!) = cheapest and most portable for on the go sketching.

Asus tablet = costs as much as a laptop @ around 1000$ but has the tablet built in.
Cons include battery life and relatively crappy specs.

Cintiq = I want the 21 inch but @ around 2000$ I am willing to wait on the new model for hopefully a better price point.

EDIT: The Asus doesn't appear to have a wacom digitizer.
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/
Which android tablets have Wacom digitizers? Any of them?
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Wacom enabled devices?
The thing is, I already have a pretty powerful laptop and wireless intuos 4. This means that getting a tablet for on the go sketching seems silly until my laptop breaks or just gets too old.

The inkling is also a GREAT (cost effective!) solution for on the go stuff until I can afford the cintiq or the new one comes out.
I am VERY hesitant to buy ANY portable device with a stylus unless it is a Wacom digitizer.

People tell me (including my friend with the Asus) that specs don't matter as much any more because and i5 with an Intel GPU is plenty for 2d apps. I am still really picky though and would rather have a wacom digitizer AND decent specs in my portable device. I want to sculpt in 3d on the go too!!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm told the fujitsu tablet pc's are wacom enabled and good for sketching, but I determined that getting the 12UX cintiq with a gaming laptop was better.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ

sigma 6 posted:

EDIT: The Asus doesn't appear to have a wacom digitizer.
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/

The EP121 has a wacom digitizer ;) (I have one). It's great for being able to sketch in SB pro on a plane, on a couch etc. I wouldn't use it to do any production work however given the choice. It runs Zbrush ok, and is quite useable for rough work (one of my friends sculpts on it while watching tv).

The 12UX is quite small and for the price isn't really worth it - even given that you can run it off a powerfull computer you still are limited by the size to do more rough work, at which point the ep121 makes more sense given it's portability. EP121 over Cintiq 12 anyday.

For 2D the EP121 is pleanty, SB pro and Sai run really well on it. Photoshop is useable too but it's interface on a tablet can't compare to SB pro.

I didn't know there is a 15" cintiq coming out :S, I thought only the 24" was the new revision...

Also I can't see the point in inkling, get a nice scanner and pocket the change.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
24" Cintiq

Weighs 63 pounds.
Cannot rotate on Z axis.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

neonnoodle posted:

24" Cintiq

Weighs 63 pounds.
Cannot rotate on Z axis.
I can't think in 3D, what does the lack of z axis rotation MEAN?

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Quantify! posted:

I can't think in 3D, what does the lack of z axis rotation MEAN?
There's no easy way to have the new Cintiq in portrait mode or in any rotational position besides landscape. I saw the demo on Engadget yesterday and was wondering how to get one of my kidneys to the black market for this, but was confused that they didn't put the thing on a nice mountable arm. I know it's heavy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to have the thing on an arm w/ 3 axes of movement and 1 of rotation. Maybe I should just make one of those arms and sell it.

Tesla Was Robbed fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 14, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

There's no easy way to have the new Cintiq in portrait mode or in any rotational position besides landscape. I saw the demo on Engadget yesterday and was wondering how to get one of my kidneys to the black market for this, but was confused that they didn't put the thing on a nice mountable arm. I know it's heavy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to have the thing on an arm w/ 3 axes of movement and 1 of rotation. Maybe I should just make one of those arms and sell it.

The biggest retail Ergotron arm just barely supports the 21UX. I wonder how much of that 63 pounds is the screen itself, and how much is the base...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Completed my first foray last friday in using my cintiq to take notes in math class :eng101: (in photoshop :eng99: as I havent figured out how to use OneNote yet).

It worked reasonably well, accidentally deleted a page of notes :(

As it turns out I totally didn't actually need to purchase and bring, and set up an extension cord from my cintiq to the wall socket. Seems there was one under my desk that I didn't realize was there the week before. :eng99:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Raenir Salazar posted:

Completed my first foray last friday in using my cintiq to take notes in math class :eng101: (in photoshop :eng99: as I havent figured out how to use OneNote yet).

It worked reasonably well, accidentally deleted a page of notes :(

As it turns out I totally didn't actually need to purchase and bring, and set up an extension cord from my cintiq to the wall socket. Seems there was one under my desk that I didn't realize was there the week before. :eng99:

That must have been quite a show! I use a 12wx, and between the control box, the display cables, the usb cable and the power adapter, (plus I'm assuming you hooked it up to a laptop with it's own power adapter and peripherals), it seems like a huge production for taking notes in class... but it sounds like you found it worked out rather well?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cocoavalley posted:

That must have been quite a show! I use a 12wx, and between the control box, the display cables, the usb cable and the power adapter, (plus I'm assuming you hooked it up to a laptop with it's own power adapter and peripherals), it seems like a huge production for taking notes in class... but it sounds like you found it worked out rather well?

It was fun :D

But yeah, totally not portable AND I needed an adopter for DVI-HDMI to use it for my laptop....

Works pretty well. Saves on paper!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

paberu posted:

The EP121 has a wacom digitizer ;) (I have one). It's great for being able to sketch in SB pro on a plane, on a couch etc. I wouldn't use it to do any production work however given the choice. It runs Zbrush ok, and is quite useable for rough work (one of my friends sculpts on it while watching tv).

The 12UX is quite small and for the price isn't really worth it - even given that you can run it off a powerfull computer you still are limited by the size to do more rough work, at which point the ep121 makes more sense given it's portability. EP121 over Cintiq 12 anyday.

For 2D the EP121 is pleanty, SB pro and Sai run really well on it. Photoshop is useable too but it's interface on a tablet can't compare to SB pro.

I didn't know there is a 15" cintiq coming out :S, I thought only the 24" was the new revision...

Also I can't see the point in inkling, get a nice scanner and pocket the change.

Do any of the cintiqs EVER have a price drop? As far as I know, neither of the older models have dropped since the new one came out.

I have a scanner but honestly it saves a LOT of time to use the inkling. However most of my sketchbook drawings are in pencil sooooo . . . I am rethinking the idea of getting one.

At this point my laptop still works pretty well, so dropping a grand or more on the Asus seems counterproductive. I still badly want the 21 inch cintiq but I was really hoping the new one would drive down the price a little. Frankly I don't think the new one is all worth the upgrade. When did HD become a selling point for Wacom? :rolleyes:

What is Sai? Never heard of it.

Good to see you posting to the drawing thread BTW.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
SAI is a free paint program that originates in Japan I believe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For future reference do ituous4 pens work with a cintiq?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

With the new 21UX, not the 12WX.

Halx
Jun 13, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are two generations of Cintiq 21. Intuos4 pens (all besides the inking pen) will work with the newer generation that has the model number DTK-2100. The older Cintiq 21, model number DTZ-2100, uses the same technology as Intuos3 and the Cintiq 12WX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have the 12 inch.... but i ordered a new cintiq pen anyways to be safe.