Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

How could a torch item causing light be more than 25 blocks away if it is held in your hand?

The dynamic light mod allows the dropped item entity of any light emitting item to emit light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Mobs can also spawn much closer than 25 blocks if there's a mob spawner nearby. A held torch's affecting the light level could keep a mob from spawning when you're near a dungeon.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
SO I have a question. Today, I was trying to make a standard tnt cannon. However, I noticed the lit TNT was not being move by the water (which was flowing). Is this something new to 1.7 and I had just never noticed this before? Or can it still work properly?

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
The old style of cannon was broken with 1.7 there is a new version that works currently.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I figured out how to make a 1.5-tick clock (on for 1 tick, off for half a tick each cycle) and made an unnecessarily long video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-4bMN2H5PE

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Notch has mentioned introducing alchemy to the game in the past, and recently the Yogscast dude's showcased a somewhat interesting mod called "Equivalent Exchange" it has some neat ideas, but a lot of ridiculous and complicated things as well.

Mostly I liked the main concept, the exchange, you craft a philospher's stone and then can use it to upgrade dirt to cobblestone, cobblestone to redstone, and then up through iron, gold, and diamond.
It's just a really neat aspect I'd like to see added to the game.

Really though, any form of magic being added to the game would be nice, and maybe my dreams of summoning creepers could finally be brought to life:

:3:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Really, with the portals which is really magic, I'd like arcane stuff like that. Instead of using Redstone to fuel sperging, you could create patterns with it and use it for fueling dark rituals.

Great, now I'll have to head to the Minecraft Forums to see if there's a mod that does that:/

(Great set of pictures, thoug! :3: )

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

Really, with the portals which is really magic, I'd like arcane stuff like that. Instead of using Redstone to fuel sperging, you could create patterns with it and use it for fueling dark rituals.

Great, now I'll have to head to the Minecraft Forums to see if there's a mod that does that:/

(Great set of pictures, thoug! :3: )

Runecraft is pretty cool for that. We use it on our SMP server and it's pretty popular, if a little limited.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

wyoming posted:

Really though, any form of magic being added to the game would be nice, and maybe my dreams of summoning creepers could finally be brought to life:

:3:

This would be the absolute most amazing way to booby trap a fort. Someone hits a switch for a door? Queue 20 creepers spawning in adjacent rooms and flooding in.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

causticBeet posted:

This would be the absolute most amazing way to booby trap utterly annihilate a fort. Someone hits a switch for a door? Queue 20 creepers spawning in adjacent rooms and flooding in.

You don't know what you're sayin', man.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gilok posted:

It's called a scorched earth policy. :madmax:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
hey danyull, take a look at http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors and then get your act together, it's been over a week since estel returned the chain world to you.

estel, if you still have it in the shape you left it, maybe you could just email it to me at frobbe@gmail.com if danyull doesnt get back to me?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Gilok posted:

I would absolutely build a quick cobble castle with the sole purpose of unleashing creeper hell.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

So 1.8 coming, i built myself a wooden house and made a densely packed forest to hide it in, and then continued spreading the forest out, making clearings and allsorts.

This poo poo is so getting burned down.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Frobbe posted:

hey danyull, take a look at http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors and then get your act together, it's been over a week since estel returned the chain world to you.

estel, if you still have it in the shape you left it, maybe you could just email it to me at frobbe@gmail.com if danyull doesnt get back to me?

I still have the sent email with the chain world on my gmail folder. Sent.

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
So i'm releasing my new adventure map before the 1.8 update so I can get a chance to play the actual game instead of switching between an editor and the game. Give it a try and tell me how bad and broken it is!

The Tower of Xotl

Teaser trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJuRDB_F5w

http://www.mediafire.com/?lt3l7gs65fiq518

Akito12345 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 24, 2012

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I want to run a creative server on my home machine. Two things I haven't managed to figure out yet:
  • How can I allow players to summon whatever items they want via the console?
  • How to make it always daytime?
I'd appreciate some help.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

CoderCat posted:

I want to run a creative server on my home machine. Two things I haven't managed to figure out yet:
  • How can I allow players to summon whatever items they want via the console?
  • How to make it always daytime?
I'd appreciate some help.

With mods. I'd put this question in the modding thread if you want a good discussion about it. Basically though, you want to run Bukkit, then pick out a few options that would allow this.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:

Master Twig posted:

With mods. I'd put this question in the modding thread if you want a good discussion about it. Basically though, you want to run Bukkit, then pick out a few options that would allow this.

Thanks. I found a plugin called "Essentials" that does what I need. It's indeed based on Bukkit. I'll ask in the modding thread if more questions come up!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rack posted:

Runecraft is pretty cool for that. We use it on our SMP server and it's pretty popular, if a little limited.

Don't forget about lost shard! We have magic too and it isn't all convoluted rune drawing and stuff.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

:siren: Here's your map. (Don't click if you want a surprise when the world gets to you!)

Tinypic re-sized it, and Imgur made it into a horrible looking JPEG, so if a bigger one's needed I can upload it to Dropbox. I would send the world off now but Estel's already done it :argh:.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Danyull posted:

:siren: Here's your map. (Don't click if you want a surprise when the world gets to you!)

Tinypic re-sized it, and Imgur made it into a horrible looking JPEG, so if a bigger one's needed I can upload it to Dropbox. I would send the world off now but Estel's already done it :argh:.

:3: I see it! I see what I built.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
This game is so loving terrifying. I usually play on peaceful, but I decided to play on Normal while I explore this cave. So I've been down here for an hour, my inventory is finally full of iron, coal, gold and a few diamonds. I'm ready to head out when a creeper pops out of nowhere and sssss BOOOM... This has honestly been the most stressful hour of the last 6 months of my life.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

zalmoxes posted:

This game is so loving terrifying. I usually play on peaceful, but I decided to play on Normal while I explore this cave. So I've been down here for an hour, my inventory is finally full of iron, coal, gold and a few diamonds. I'm ready to head out when a creeper pops out of nowhere and sssss BOOOM... This has honestly been the most stressful hour of the last 6 months of my life.

I sympathize. I only turn off peaceful when I'm not mining or building. loving Creepers, man.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zalmoxes posted:

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. I collapsed a gravel roof on my head after finding a bunch of diamond once. Luckily it was close to my spawn so I was able to collect it back before it disappeared. My girlfriend got hit with a creeper, though, and died twice trying to get back to her stuff.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Lazyfire posted:

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. I collapsed a gravel roof on my head after finding a bunch of diamond once. Luckily it was close to my spawn so I was able to collect it back before it disappeared. My girlfriend got hit with a creeper, though, and died twice trying to get back to her stuff.

I tried to get my friend into minecraft like a week ago, and he lucked out and got a really good world. Before long he found himself in a cave at diamond level, and found 2 diamonds, 5 gold, about 25 iron and a lava lake. We couldn't find the hole he dropped into the cave through however, so I told him to just dig a staircase to the surface. About halfway up, he broke through to another cave and immediately got blown up by a creeper. We couldn't find the staircase in time :smith:

After that I assumed that turned him off on the game and went to went to watch the Cubs game (they lost, no shocker there). When I came back, he had already shrugged it off and was cave exploring again :3:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Back when I played Single Player, I never took it off Peaceful for more than a few minutes. Now I'm glad I don't have the power to change the difficulty setting on my friend's server; it forced me to cope with the existence of Creepers. We play like dwarves and almost all of our constructions are underground, so we have a daunting network of adequately-lit tunnels between everything important, and never have to sprint through the open darkness at night anymore.

There are some good tricks for babies. Creepers survive in the light, but still only spawn in the dark, so if you tunnel to an area you hadn't been to while it was dark out, and head outside from there, you won't see anything hostile on the surface. Even a dungeon can be conquered just by throwing a torch in there and coming back later, after everything has despawned.

Natural caves are always kind of scary, though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Monicro posted:

I tried to get my friend into minecraft like a week ago, and he lucked out and got a really good world. Before long he found himself in a cave at diamond level, and found 2 diamonds, 5 gold, about 25 iron and a lava lake. We couldn't find the hole he dropped into the cave through however, so I told him to just dig a staircase to the surface. About halfway up, he broke through to another cave and immediately got blown up by a creeper. We couldn't find the staircase in time :smith:

After that I assumed that turned him off on the game and went to went to watch the Cubs game (they lost, no shocker there). When I came back, he had already shrugged it off and was cave exploring again :3:

Minecraft, as the thread title would suggest, is a game for obsessives. I've been passing word of the game around work for the better part of the year and I work with engineers. I'll mention it one day and the next I'm getting people showing me their homes in game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really wish there were a difficulty option that could toggle whether or not you drop items on death.

I know it's a balance issue and I understand the implications of difficulty and forethought but never once has dropping and losing my inventory been even remotely enjoyable or enriched my gameplay experience in Minecraft in any way. All losing my poo poo when I die does is make me frustrated and want to give up on the game for a while.
It should just be an option.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish there were a difficulty option that could toggle whether or not you drop items on death.

I know it's a balance issue and I understand the implications of difficulty and forethought but never once has dropping and losing my inventory been even remotely enjoyable or enriched my gameplay experience in Minecraft in any way. All losing my poo poo when I die does is make me frustrated and want to give up on the game for a while.

One of the best parts of Single Player Commands is the command that swiytches it so you don't lose items on death. There's also the more balanced "spawn a chest where you die and fill the chest with your inventory at death" command.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I totally 100% agree. The idea honestly hadn't even occurred to me until Terraria did it, but once I knew it was a possibility, it's always pissed me off that it's not the case.

I get that death should have consequences, and that stress does make the game more fun, but losing your stuff isn't the way to do it, especially not in a game about building stuff. I mean, you can't very well build up yourself if you're inevitably reduced to the naked state you first came into the world whenever you mess up.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Keeping items is more about stuff you got anyway, not the armors. In current minecraft losing it is balanced, since you either have to make substations of chests, or escape with the stuff you find.

If armor, weapons, and other utility items were more useful (and have way more durability) then i would agree with keeping poo poo. But high level armor is pointless anyway. Just carry around a crafting table, furnace, and a stack of iron. Mine coal and iron as you see it, turn it into iron ingots. Craft armor and weapons as needed.

Basically unless minecraft introduces a system where not having your poo poo really fucks you up, it's a minor punishment at worst. If armor was repairable and actually did more/better things at higher levels, then I would say there should be durability hits, and a scaling system of items lost.

I do agree however that Peaceful should have a 'Casual' toggle to have players keep their poo poo, for the players who don't want godmode of creative, but cannot handle the difficulties of easy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

If armor, weapons, and other utility items were more useful (and have way more durability) then i would agree with keeping poo poo. But high level armor is pointless anyway.
Yeah, that's another thing... degrading tools and armor that you can't repair is really lame too for the same reasons.

I get that Minecraft isn't trying to go full on RPG like Terraria, but I really quite like persistent character growth, and it'd be more satisfying if I could safely keep my progress with me, rather than having to stash it in a chest and being reduced to zero all the time.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Akito12345 posted:

So i'm releasing my new adventure map before the 1.8 update so I can get a chance to play the actual game instead of switching between an editor and the game. Give it a try and tell me how bad and broken it is!

The Tower of Xotl

Teaser trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tySV8EjOWz0

Mediafire Download http://www.mediafire.com/?hrzj396e1e15har

Currently playing through this at the moment. Very good so far.

I only had to turn to peaceful for the water trough section in Willow station, as combat in confined water spaces is rather unpleasant.

Also I literally burst out laughing at special message for cheaters in angkor :D

Generator fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 6, 2011

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Eiba posted:

Yeah, that's another thing... degrading tools and armor that you can't repair is really lame too for the same reasons.

I get that Minecraft isn't trying to go full on RPG like Terraria, but I really quite like persistent character growth, and it'd be more satisfying if I could safely keep my progress with me, rather than having to stash it in a chest and being reduced to zero all the time.

It seems like skill points may reset on death, in which if that's the case and there are longterm benefits for getting skills, then there should be an option to keep the points. That is if skill points are easy as balls to farm.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Degrading items is really the only thing that ads any sustained value to a lot of the resources. The huge flaw with Terraria's model is that the moment you "move up" a tier, most of the resources of the previous tier become entirely pointless/ useless to collect.

The constant need in Minecraft to "hoarde" certain key resources so you can continue your optimal level building/ mining is a lot of the reason why the game is arguably more sustainable/ enduring than Terraria in terms of continued gameplay. There is a much more definite ceiling in Terraria, whereas Minecraft's sort of perpetuating cycle allows people to keep on playing it even more. It adds the "challenge" to the Sandbox. Otherwise it might as well be creative.

Same thing with losing items. The non-perpetual resources force different treatments towards tools and resources than Terraria. You actually have to mine in Minecraft, with a focus on continued/ sustained resource acquisition for both creative endeavors and more functional/ practical needs.

Not to mention the whole "dropped resources" mechanic encourages you to enter back into situations that are largely dangerous and be actually "afraid" of certain mobs, which greatly affects the gameplay.

If a creeper just sent you back to spawn and knocked a whole in the landscape, it really wouldn't be a big deal unless it caught you offguard. As it is, it's actually frantic to a degree because that Creeper can "ruin your day", as it were.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Creepers are still scary as gently caress and explosions are still bad if they happen right next to your house.

Although really I could live with just death chest. The thing I hate most about losing items is the time limit, and that slipping into lava is a way bigger problem than the monsters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

Creepers are still scary as gently caress and explosions are still bad if they happen right next to your house.

Although really I could live with just death chest. The thing I hate most about losing items is the time limit, and that slipping into lava is a way bigger problem than the monsters.

But "death chest" and a lack of timeline removes the risk inherent in traveling away from your bed/ spawn. Exploration loses all "risk" involved when there's no intrinsic danger involved.

Risk and associated game-induced quasi-fear reactions associated with it are quite important to why this game is enjoyable. Honestly, if you don't want any risk, you might as well just be sticking with Creative, since it's essentially the same thing then. Even Peaceful has some associated risk based around idiocy/ accidents. By making you apprehensive about dangers, the game plays off your emotions. Removing all dangers by removing all "punishments" kind of kills that outright.

Without it the game is very boring :psyduck: You can't have an "adventure" without risk.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 6, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

But "death chest" and a lack of timeline removes the risk inherent in traveling away from your bed/ spawn. Exploration loses all "risk" involved when there's no intrinsic danger involved.

Except I remember when beds were first introduced that it was going to ruin the game so much to not have to go back to original spawn according to a lot of people! You were supposed to have to trek a thousand blocks on foot with no items if you died, according to them , or minecraft wasn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Which one of you is this?

The photos from PAX are going up on facebook now, they are all amazing.