Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can I run borderlands from the mac app store on my macbook air? i7 1.8 and 4gigs ram?

Probably, but you'll likely have to turn down some settings. The HD 3000 is slightly worse than last year's Nvidia 320M, but it does have more video memory, and the i7 won't hurt things a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can I run borderlands from the mac app store on my macbook air? i7 1.8 and 4gigs ram?
You should look at the Mac gaming thread in Games.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 6, 2011

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
If you just purchased a Macbook Pro and needed an external enclosure for a 12.5 mm tall HDD, would you buy a USB3.0 ($30) or a USB2.0/FW400/800 ($50)?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do you need decent access speeds? If so then:
USB 3 if I had a USB controller or was planning to get one shortly.
FW800 otherwise.

If not then just whatever cheap USB 2 enclosure will be fine.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
Read OP and didn't see anything about harddrives. My macbook pro harddrive crapped out and I was wondering what's a cheap place to get one online? Any suggestions?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's not under warranty or AppleCare?

You can use any standard 2.5" SATA drive.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Binary Badger posted:

It's not under warranty or AppleCare?

You can use any standard 2.5" SATA drive.

Nah, they wanted me to pay $175 in a store for regular 250gb harddrive. Oh why did I think I needed special HD for mac, I have no clue. Thanks!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Deadreak posted:

Read OP and didn't see anything about harddrives. My macbook pro harddrive crapped out and I was wondering what's a cheap place to get one online? Any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives&Order=PRICE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Deadreak posted:

Nah, they wanted me to pay $175 in a store for regular 250gb harddrive. Oh why did I think I needed special HD for mac, I have no clue. Thanks!

Just make sure it's a 9.5 mm drive. Some older high-capacity drives are 11.5 mm thick

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Okay, guys. It's time for me to get a MacBook Pro! I'm getting the higher end 15, but I have a few questions.

Is the 2.3 i7 worth the extra money over the 2.2? Also, would you recommend the Anti-Glare or Glossy for the high-res screen?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NerdsMcGee posted:

Is the 2.3 i7 worth the extra money over the 2.2?
Nope.

NerdsMcGee posted:

Also, would you recommend the Anti-Glare or Glossy for the high-res screen?
You're never going to get a consensus on this. As long as you're not using outside or with a giant window at your back, I say glossy. If you have an Apple Store near you, go and see for yourself.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Is the 2.3 i7 worth the extra money over the 2.2? Also, would you recommend the Anti-Glare or Glossy for the high-res screen?

Do you want all your friends making fun of you for getting a 2.2 when you could have gotten a 2.3? Do you really want women shunning you and laughing at you because you weren't manly enough to handle a 2.3GHz i7? I feel the answer is obvious. :colbert:

You totally have to check out the screens in store though. I swear by my anti-glare, but there are plenty of people who love their glossy screens as well. Whatever you do though, make sure you get the high-res upgrade.

(In case sarcasm got lost on the internet, take the money you save by not getting a 2.3 and use it towards getting a high-res matte screen. Matte supremacy :smug:)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone gotten shipping notification of their TB Display yet? I pre-ordered through Amazon, so probably another week, but I've seen elsewhere they are staring to ship from Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Well, it's finally happening (I hope):

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/magma-introduces-thunderbolt-pcie-expansion-box/

macrumors posted:

For users who need a bit more expansion for their Thunderbolt equipped Macs, Magma has introduced the ExpressBox 3T. The 3T is an expansion chassis with three PCIe slots for "outside-the-box" expansion.

The 3T can be used to connect PCIe cards for video capture, audio processing, data storage or whatever other needs a user may have. It works with any Thunderbolt equipped Mac and daisy-chains with the new Apple Cinema Display with Thunderbolt that began shipping this week.

Magma has not announced details on pricing or availability, but has a form for interested buyers on its website.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Sadly there are really no details. I just want it to be less than $200 and can take a full sized card.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Selling a 512gb Apple SSD kit (Mac or Macbook Pro) in SAMart. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435945

Please buy it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SpoonsForThought posted:

Sadly there are really no details. I just want it to be less than $200 and can take a full sized card.

Keep dreaming there won't be a $200 thunderbolt device for years.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hot drat. There's a like new (new battery, new top case) black MacBook in SA-Mart. I want it. I miss mine.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 8, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hot drat. There's a like new (new battery, new top case) black MacBook in SA-Mart. I want it. I miss mine.

You have a 2010 iMac and a 2011 MacBook air :catstare:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flyboi posted:

You left out that I bought a 15" 2010 MBP in SA-Mart last night (I had one of these already and sold it a few months back).

Keep up man.

edit: and post more catte pics in YOSPOS. We always need more pics.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 8, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flyboi posted:

I'm not quite sure you understand just how amazingly-sexy black Apple notebooks are. I really, really wish Apple still had them (even if just offered as BTO at an additional cost).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SourKraut posted:

I'm not quite sure you understand just how amazingly-sexy black Apple notebooks are. I really, really wish Apple still had them (even if just offered as BTO at an additional cost).

Maybe, but my 2011 mbp is so sexy I could never justify using a plastic-based laptop ever again... And I'm a Lenovo convert who thought magnesium top cases were the bees knees

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

SourKraut posted:

They're aluminum, right? Strip 'em down and re-anodize 'em.

... Suddenly I want a blue Macbook Air more than I have ever wanted any computer in my life. (e: ^^^ posted from my ThinkPad, at that)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

They're aluminum, right? Strip 'em down and re-anodize 'em.

... Suddenly I want a blue Macbook Air more than I have ever wanted any computer in my life.
ColorWare's got you covered.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

ColorWare's got you covered.

Welp, that's right out of my price range.

:negative:

How can I make $2400 fast? Difficulty: I'm just starting law school. Anyone need blood? A lot of blood?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

How can I make $2400 fast? Difficulty: I'm just starting law school.

Back alley legal advice! Alternatively, you'd better be in a top tier law school and kick some rear end while waiting :(.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

How can I make $2400 fast? Difficulty: I'm just starting law school. Anyone need blood? A lot of blood?

Noooo.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Ganon posted:

Noooo.

It's in the top 25 and I have a T14 transfer solicitation for 2L. I knew what I was getting into. I'm feeling okay about it. I mean, I've got a blue Macbook Air waiting on the other side. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

Keep dreaming there won't be a $200 thunderbolt device for years.
There's an ExpressCard adapter for like $150...which doesn't even come with a TB cable, but add that in and you're right at $200! :v:

I'm guessing the ViDock will be $300-400 going by their previous products, but I'm expecting the Magma one to be $1000+ unless they want to target a lower end market than they've been doing previously.

Edit: or not over $1000 on the Magma! I checked the email they sent out and it says under $1000, which could mean $999 of course, but that's still cheaper than I expected.

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 8, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

daaang

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I decided my Late 2009 27" i5 iMac needed a boost, and so I installed the OWC Data Doubler, a Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, and replaced my stock Seagate 1TB with a Seagate 3TB Barracuda XT since I didn't want to have to deal with cleaning plexiglass more than once.

Good news: ~9 second boot from SSD in optical bay :aaaaa:
Bad news: 5,000rpm HDD fan speed :what:

Despite buying the same brand as my stock HDD as recommended, it is apparently still a compatibility crapshoot from a thermal perspective. I don't want to artificially control fan speed (despite a good S.M.A.R.T. temperature reading), so I'll probably return the 3TB. The Seagate manual believes the two pins that Apple is using for temperature are actually for jumpering a 1.5Gbps limit. Flip-flopping direction does no good.
I've heard that simply purchasing a $3.99 optical bay sensor and plugging it into the HDD sensor will solve all problems. Anyone have experience with this?

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 8, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Where were you 6 months ago when I sold mine? :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

C2D iMac on craigslist for $1000. "This same computer is $1500 brand new."

:argh:

HifiSerious
Apr 28, 2002

moron posted:

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that carries OWC products?

I've got my eye on the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2, but I'd rather not have to pay $100 shipping if at all possible.

The BookYard carries a lot of Mac spares and some OWC products. I think this is what you're looking for?

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
I just bought a 13" 2.3GHz i5 and I am having a strange problem. When I got it yesterday everything was fine and I used it for a better part of the day. I didn't shut it down but just closed the lid when I went to bed last night and this morning I go to use it and the internal speakers are not working. There isn't even an internal speaker option in sound prefs just digital out. If I plug in headphones I get sound through them. Anybody have any idea about this?

It also seems that some of my bluetooth devices won't stay paired. I have a magic trackpad, wireless keyboard and a bluetooth mouse and I have to re-pair at least 1 of them after every startup.

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo
Major dilemma folks... I have a 17" i5 MacBook pro which has served me beautifully since I've had it. I'm looking to get a monitor now that I'm trying to work from home a lot more (and need a monitor to supplement the 14" thinkpad I got from work).

Naturally, I'd like to get a ACD because the aesthetics are just so nice (and I actually prefer glossy). Originally my plan was to get a refurb 27" ACD but Macmall has last year's i7 27" iMac for ~$1,500 (after tax).

Now I'm thinking I should just suck it up and pay the extra for the iMac and get the 27" ACD and an entire high-end computer.

For those with both a MacBook pro and iMac (and iPad), has there been any regrets? My MacBook pro is plenty powerful and I have no need for a new computer. But goddamn am I trying hard to justify one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sell Pro. Buy Air. Buy 27" iMac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Sell Pro. Buy Air. Buy 27" iMac.
Unless you really need a mobile workstation, this is the ultimate solution. I went from a MacBook Pro and a desktop with high-end IPS display, to a MBP and a Mac Mini, to a MBP and 27" iMac. Then I realized I didn't need a mobile workstation since I did all my photo and video editing on the iMac, and I was better off with something more portable. Now I have a 27" iMac for all of the workstation needs, and a 13" MacBook Air to carry around. If you don't need the horsepower in a portable form factor, ditch the MBP. Most people would probably be better off with an Air these days.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Unless you really need a mobile workstation, this is the ultimate solution. I went from a MacBook Pro and a desktop with high-end IPS display, to a MBP and a Mac Mini, to a MBP and 27" iMac. Then I realized I didn't need a mobile workstation since I did all my photo and video editing on the iMac, and I was better off with something more portable. Now I have a 27" iMac for all of the workstation needs, and a 13" MacBook Air to carry around. If you don't need the horsepower in a portable form factor, ditch the MBP. Most people would probably be better off with an Air these days.

So are the other systems you pick up/show interest in mainly for collection purposes? I know I still sometimes go looking for older Macs solely so I can have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

So are the other systems you pick up/show interest in mainly for collection purposes? I know I still sometimes go looking for older Macs solely so I can have them.
I bought a 20 year-old Macintosh SE/30 a couple of months ago just to have as a project. It doesn't work, and I'll probably just gut it and make an aquarium out of it or something. The 15" MBP I bought a couple of days ago is for my girlfriend. And the black MacBook that I'm pining after in SA-Mart is just a guilty pleasure because it's a slick looking system. But I'm not going to buy it.

Really, I'm not going to buy it. I just have to keep telling myself that.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 8, 2011