Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lamacq posted:

Has anybody played the game on a low-spec PC and can comment on how well it runs? The only machine I can game on currently is a 2010 iMac with a 9400M. I don't mind playing games on low graphical settings as long as I can get a smooth framerate. For instance I played through Dawn of War 2 with everything on lowest settings and managed around 30 FPS for the most part although it definitely chugged at times, and while that's manageable in an RTS I'm not sure it'd work in an FPS. Anybody?

You'll have to do the conversion PC specs>Mac specs yourself, but I played the leak on a 5 year old PC. 2.7 GHz single-core CPU, Radeon X1950XT (pretty high-end but old) GPU, 3GB of RAM. It chugged along sometimes but mostly it ran fine.

Game's graphics are not exactly top-of-the-line and it's noticeable how they cut some corners concerning textures and models. I'm thinking it would run on even lower specs than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

thetrin posted:

I stand by my opinion that Blowing up the station and letting humanity make the choice for itself is the canon ending. Not only is it the one button far removed from the rest, but Adam seems rather obsessed with letting others choose for themselves.

I did not like the way the game framed the suicide answer as the one where you left the decision up to the people, because I felt like Darrow's ending was like that as well. The difference was that with Darrow, the people will also get the pure truth free of spin and omission, and since my Jensen worked so drat hard to uncover the mystery, the people are drat well getting truth and transparency.

In terms of canon, I think whatever choice Adam makes, the Illuminati wins. That would explain why Sarif Industries is not mentioned in DX1 without having to do any retconning.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

OlMaster posted:

Thanks for this, the game's been out for 2 weeks, are we just not caring about spoilers? Kinda thought I could read this thread since I'm halfway through, but apparently not.

It was inside spoiler tags, dumbass.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just how much do the graphics improve if you turn the settings way up? I have an older computer and the game set itself to pretty low settings. I found the graphics to be surprisingly bad. Any of the cars in Detroit, the weird A/C and/or washing machine wall in Hengsha, and several other random assets throughout the game have an incredibly low ponygon count. Halfway through the game I noticed I could interact with a wall, and to my surprise I found out it was actually a drinking fountain. Some of these assets looks like they belong in the original game. I'm not really complaining since I'm thankful the game ran so smoothly, but it surprises me to see the graphics lauded so much by everyone else.

I'm also surprised that anyone liked Sarif at all. God he was an annoying twat. The man had two modes, insultingly patronizing, and whiny petulant child. He was always doing at least one of these things, frequently he was able to do them both at once. Buuuuuuut adddaaaaamm. What do you mean don't wanna illegally break into a police station? Come oooooooon please? I wasn't that impressed with any of the characters really, except Pritchard. He was annoying at the beginning and actually developed and grew on me. Adam was yet another dark, tormented protagonist wearing all black and talking in a gravelly batman voice for the entire game. The only line he delivered that I really loved was "I like everyone Dr. Reed".

This DLC really sounds like just a part of the game they cut out of the final release. Oh you wanted to play the entire game that we made? That will be an additional $20 please.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Donny posted:

It was inside spoiler tags, dumbass.

Not originally.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

This DLC really sounds like just a part of the game they cut out of the final release. Oh you wanted to play the entire game that we made? That will be an additional $20 please.

Well, that is pretty much what they said, although lets clarify with some more exact language. They said in an interview shortly before release of the game (maybe Tecman has it more readily available) that future DLC was unfinished cut content not intended to be part of the main game. It was then finished up so it could be sold for DLC. Maybe your right and they're lying, but they did specifically state this was what they did.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Anyone else have an issue with the tranq rifle randomly killing people? Of all the games that contain some kind of tranquilizer gun, the devs of this one decided that a needle flying into someone's temple at hundreds of feet per second is lethal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eggplant posted:

Anyone else have an issue with the tranq rifle randomly killing people? Of all the games that contain some kind of tranquilizer gun, the devs of this one decided that a needle flying into someone's temple at hundreds of feet per second is lethal.

If you shoot someone with a tranq dart, then their friend wakes them up, then you shoot them with a second dart, they will die. This seems to be a bug.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

OlMaster posted:

Thanks for this, the game's been out for 2 weeks, are we just not caring about spoilers? Kinda thought I could read this thread since I'm halfway through, but apparently not.

I got spoiled of the ending a week ago, I used the power of delusion to convince myself otherwise :v:

Eggplant posted:

I've had it happen on the first shot. One spot that I can think of it working consistently is the guy standing outside the MCB apartment. I try to knock him out from down the hall with the tranq gun and he is dead every time. Maybe there is some kind of physics mishap from his ragdoll slumping where the couch and wall meet.

A quick way to check if someone is alive or dead is to activate Smart Vision. Unconscious bodies will glow and corpses will not.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

haveblue posted:

If you shoot someone with a tranq dart, then their friend wakes them up, then you shoot them with a second dart, they will die. This seems to be a bug.

I've had it happen on the first shot. One spot that I can think of it working consistently is the guy standing outside the MCB apartment. I try to knock him out from down the hall with the tranq gun and he is dead every time. Maybe there is some kind of physics mishap from his ragdoll slumping where the couch and wall meet.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, I had the same thing happen with that guy. I "solved" it by prompting his conversation and using a takedown. I'm pretty sure it's a bug since you won't kill someone even if you pincushion an unconscious target with the darts.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Eggplant posted:

Someone much, much earlier in the thread said that it's an issue with tranquing people on/near couches. Not sure what the details are or if this is true or not.

Pork Soda
Jan 22, 2004
Scissor Man
Yeah the MCB guy will die if you tranq him no matter what as far as i can tell. I melee'd him and it was fine though. There's another guy later on that is exactly the opposite. His first name is Darrin (he's a semi-random npc so this isn't really a spoiler) and I had to tranquilize him instead of melee for him to not die.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I resolved that one by cloaking, going past him, then shooting a silenced 10mm down the hall. He got up to check it out and I (being the merciful soul I am) bent his elbow backwards 120 degrees and administered his concussion quota for the week.

Jenson is too nice a guy, really.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Bruceski posted:

Not originally.

Ah, crap. That makes more sense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm playing another time for the Foxiest achievement, and I was wondering if I have to physically hear an alarm for it to count against me or is it enough to have a bunch of people shooting at me?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

I'm playing another time for the Foxiest achievement, and I was wondering if I have to physically hear an alarm for it to count against me or is it enough to have a bunch of people shooting at me?

They have to trigger an alarm, the kind that's activated by a panel. "Alarmed" does not invalidate your achievement and neither does "Hostile", provided you kill everyone before they reach an alarm.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Great, thanks!

thyazide
May 31, 2009

Caufman posted:

I did not like the way the game framed the suicide answer as the one where you left the decision up to the people, because I felt like Darrow's ending was like that as well. The difference was that with Darrow, the people will also get the pure truth free of spin and omission, and since my Jensen worked so drat hard to uncover the mystery, the people are drat well getting truth and transparency.

In terms of canon, I think whatever choice Adam makes, the Illuminati wins. That would explain why Sarif Industries is not mentioned in DX1 without having to do any retconning.

Would be easy to explain Sarif out of existence between both games though. Sarif industries is like any other company, they can be bought out. If you read the dx bible you also find out that America basically goes into economic ruin, Sarif Industries probably got swept under the rug with the rest of America, then all the tech they developed is bought out by Page Industries.

thyazide fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 6, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's fairly believable that all the endings could lead to a brand new firm rising as a fresh start for aug technology, this time closely monitored by and accountable to trustworthy illuminati government agencies.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

StickySweater posted:

Well, that is pretty much what they said, although lets clarify with some more exact language. They said in an interview shortly before release of the game (maybe Tecman has it more readily available) that future DLC was unfinished cut content not intended to be part of the main game. It was then finished up so it could be sold for DLC. Maybe your right and they're lying, but they did specifically state this was what they did.

When I first saw that image I assumed the DLC took place between when you crashed your rocket ship into the ocean and when you magically appeared on the helipad at Pangea, since that's the most obvious gaping hole in the game progression. The idea of pulling a whole level out like that and not explaining the inconsistency in the storyline kinda sucks, but then only offering to add it back for an additional fee is really bullshit. This first DLC is really toeing the line in this regard, but if it's successful (and it will be), I have a feeling additional DLCs will be a lot worse, and it will set a really bad precedent. Why bother finishing your game when you can sell half a game for full price, and the second half piecemeal for $20 bucks a level?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Played the game for 50+ hours. Just found the, uh, shrine in Sarif HQ. First floor, right side from the entrance, up near the wall.

This loving game

fuckpot posted:

So is this game selling like hot-cakes or what? I want the developers to get rich and make a franchise out of this. Next game should be played from the perspective of an MiB. They could make it so the loyalty part of the MiB augmentation doesn't work correctly and you go rogue on their rear end. Hire me Eidos!

Apparently it's topped the UK charts since release. Not conclusive by any means, but the release window is pretty smart.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 6, 2011

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So is this game selling like hot-cakes or what? I want the developers to get rich and make a franchise out of this. Next game should be played from the perspective of an MiB. They could make it so the loyalty part of the MiB augmentation doesn't work correctly and you go rogue on their rear end. Hire me Eidos!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

When I first saw that image I assumed the DLC took place between when you crashed your rocket ship into the ocean and when you magically appeared on the helipad at Pangea, since that's the most obvious gaping hole in the game progression. The idea of pulling a whole level out like that and not explaining the inconsistency in the storyline kinda sucks, but then only offering to add it back for an additional fee is really bullshit. This first DLC is really toeing the line in this regard, but if it's successful (and it will be), I have a feeling additional DLCs will be a lot worse, and it will set a really bad precedent. Why bother finishing your game when you can sell half a game for full price, and the second half piecemeal for $20 bucks a level?

It would be better if it was a free patch but there's a big chance that they'd never waste development time on finishing cut content if they couldn't sell it. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the content geniunly wasn't finished and couldn't be included for the release.

If it's big enough, and decent, I'm happy to pay for it. I probably won't buy it on release and wait for a sale, but I think it's fair to say it's better to have the option to play the content rather than it not being released at all.

Cyne posted:

Doesn't your ship crash really close to Panchaea? I don't think that's a gaping hole in the story - I just assumed Adam opened the hatch, maybe swam a bit and then climbed some ladders to get up.

Yea, I assumed that as well. I just guessed that they'd left it out, or maybe there'd been a bit of miscommunication between the guys who did the cinematic and the level designer.

Also, how the hell did Jenson survive that crash? You'd think the rocket would of been ripped to bits from an impact like that.

poo poo, sorry guys forgot spoiler tags.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 6, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

counterfeitsaint posted:

When I first saw that image I assumed the DLC took place between when you crashed your rocket ship into the ocean and when you magically appeared on the helipad at Pangea, since that's the most obvious gaping hole in the game progression.

Doesn't your ship crash really close to Panchaea? I don't think that's a gaping hole in the story - I just assumed Adam opened the hatch, maybe swam a bit and then climbed some ladders to get up.

Edit: Spoiler

Cyne fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 6, 2011

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'd say it's a pretty big hole. Yes, you crash near your target. However, you're in a low orbit rocket going mach X slamming into the ocean with zero deceleration. Surviving something like that is a pretty big mystery, not to mention getting back up to the surface, and up on the helipad

I've been giving this game a lot of poo poo I suppose, but I did really enjoy (most) of it, and given the choice, I'd buy it again.

Edit: Illiteracy

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd say it's a pretty big hole. Yes, you crash near your target. However, you're in a low orbit rocket going mach X slamming into the ocean with zero deceleration. Surviving something like that is a pretty big mystery, not to mention getting back up to the surface, and up on the helipad

I've been giving this game a lot of poo poo I suppose, but I did really enjoy (most) of it, and given the choice, I'd buy it again.

Well the biggest problem is there's a reason why you're on a rocket flying towards Pancea, because it's a time-sensitive mission and it would be weird if they made you take a detour when the world is about to end.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's actually quite simple. You see, Darrow developed the technology to survive rocket re-entry. This answers every technology-specific plothole in every sci-fi story out there.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's sub-orbital, not low earth orbit. How dare you confuse the terms?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

StickySweater posted:

I'm not completely and utterly sure right now, but I think that was talking about the Explosive Mission Pack's bonus mission. Not the DLC we're being told about now, they didn't talk about any post-release DLC or later on only vaguely mentioned that "yes, it's being made".

Then again, there's been so many loving articles that it kind of just blurs together at this point. :( Sorry.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The entirety of that bonus mission was included in the release, though, you just had to unlock it.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Tecman posted:

I'm not completely and utterly sure right now, but I think that was talking about the Explosive Mission Pack's bonus mission. Not the DLC we're being told about now, they didn't talk about any post-release DLC or later on only vaguely mentioned that "yes, it's being made".

Then again, there's been so many loving articles that it kind of just blurs together at this point. :( Sorry.

This is pretty much the case. I'll withhold judgment on the DLC until it's actually there and we know all there is to know about it. It could be a genuine expansion or it could be a screwjob. Time will tell.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Did a quick video of rescuing Malik on GMDX and pacifist; late game spoilers so don't watch if you're not at least 4/5 of the way done with the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNMY5cBqzuw
(youtube decided to gently caress up the sound)

Made quite a few mistakes (why the hell I decided to takedown the second guy I do not know), but it shows what to do easily enough, I suppose (that and I couldn't be arsed to re-record after doing it on the first attempt).

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Does anyone know if killing robots with EMP grenades counts against a Pacifist achievement?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Jensen is more machine than man right now, he probably ate some power bars and let his internal system fix whatever damage he received

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

MZ posted:

Does anyone know if killing robots with EMP grenades counts against a Pacifist achievement?

It doesn't. Also, people that die from the resulting explosion do not count.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I also want to mention that if you tranq/stun/drag-kill an enemy and they show up dead it doesn't go against pacifist so you'll be fine. The same MCB guy dropped dead after I tase'd him and still got the achievement. Same thing with dragging people and killing them. The game gives you a LOT of leeway as far as non-lethal goes.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Crumpet posted:

It doesn't. Also, people that die from the resulting explosion do not count.

Excellent thank you.

I'm really loving the game so far, just got to the end of China. Playing with Give Me Deus Ex difficulty and trying to do a no-kills, no-alarm run on my first go (though I'm not sure if I got this since it seems some sections are scripted to have alarms?)

Its not without flaws but its definately Deus Ex, lets hope this is the first of a new branch of games for this IP.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

MZ posted:

(though I'm not sure if I got this since it seems some sections are scripted to have alarms?)

Yes, they are, and they don't count against you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
so, despite the flaws in the game, I really enjoyed the game. I enjoyed it so much I did something I've done before and emailed eidos to tell the deus ex team that they did a great job and I'm looking forward to thief 4 even more now. thought they'd like to hear that.

• Locked thread