Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Hey guys, while I was talking to a friend on Steam about DX:HR, which led to me showing him an image out of the comic book series, I realized I probably didn't share ...a particular Adamface from that terrible thing with you guys.

If you've ever read the Facepunch DX:HR thread, you'll know which one since they made a gimmick out of it by having a ton of people use it as their avatar.

I still think you need to be made aware.

The more NWS source (and it completes the image) can be found here.
A reminder of the existence of (or a link for newcomers) "the many faces of Adam Jensen" can be found here.
What the gently caress, comic book series.

To make my post less retarded, JJB gave a list of things (mostly books) that inspired him to create the stuff he made for DX:HR.
( http://jayjaybe.tumblr.com/post/9892196300/are-there-any-books-that-inspired-you-to-create-deus )

Jonathan Jacques-Belletête posted:

Of course! Tons and tons of books. Here are just a few of them :)

Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies — and What It Means to Be Human
The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
Designer Evolution: A Transhumanist Manifesto
H+/-: Transhumanism and Its Critics
Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond To The Redesigned Human Of The Future
More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement
Material World 3
Grand Stand 3
Bright Architectural Illumination and Light Installations
Behind Bars Design for Cafés and Bars
Happening Design For Events
Atmosphere The Shape of Things to Come
The Art of Metal Gear Solid
The Art of Metal Gear Solid 2
Industrial Divinities
Patlabor artbook

And here’s even some more of my inspirations just for you! ;)

Akira: One of the great pillars of cyberpunk, and of movie making. you cannot get around this masterpiece of masterpieces. Everything you need is in there. Aesthetically, narratively, emotionally, metaphorically…
Gareth Pugh: The best and craziest fashion designer living today. Thanks for all the inspiration buddy!
Mark, Frame, and IdN magazines: Cant follow contemporary and future design trends without these three babies.
The Laws of simplicity by John Maeda: Nothing I do is simple, and I’m incapable of creating anything elegant and simple. I guess that’s why I love this book so much. One day, I will master it’s content!
Metal Gear Solid: No other videogame series has inspired me more. Aesthetically speaking, it’s near perfect.
Friends and alcohol: They relax you, and then you get decent ideas and inspiration. True story.

edit: vvvvvvv That's because it's part of a sidequest reward from him.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reiser_FS
Dec 30, 2010
I don't know if this was already posted, but if you kill the barkeeper in The Hive he'll drop a nice praxis kit (for whatever reason).

Edit: Well gently caress me, that's certainly awesome. There needs to be more games where you can just take your quest rewards by force.

reiser_FS fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 7, 2011

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sputty posted:

It's sub-orbital, not low earth orbit. How dare you confuse the terms?

Well, it is called the "LEO shuttle" in-game.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

reiser_FS posted:

I don't know if this was already posted, but if you kill the barkeeper in The Hive he'll drop a nice praxis kit (for whatever reason).

Edit: Well gently caress me, that's certainly awesome. There needs to be more games where you can just take your quest rewards by force.

Another cool thing is that if you ever have to bribe somebody, you can just knock them out or kill them and take your money back because it goes into their inventory rather than disappearing forever.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Oh my god, I just beat the game, and the post-credit sequence didn't even display, I just got subtitles with no audio, then I had to alt-tab and close the game. Christ, what a waste of 10 minutes watching credits.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I think it's supposed to? Mine did the same thing, but for like the last couple of lines there was video.

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Steelion posted:

I think it's supposed to? Mine did the same thing, but for like the last couple of lines there was video.

Wait what?!?
Mine was a blank screen with Audio dialogue w/ subtitles and NO VIDEO. ???

vvvv WHAT?!? Is this on Youtube or something? I never saw the other stuff.

Neosuki fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2011

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It's supposed to be a blank screen. The only video you see A brief shot of Bob Page as he says "call me Bob".

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It should be a black screen at first with audio and subtitles with a very short scene fading in at the end and then the original DX logo appearing onscreen while the original DX theme plays.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
It is difficult to express how HR is both entertaining and disappointing at the same time. I really, really wish they had another 6 months to a year to really work on it, to flesh out the characters and interweave the story and secrets, to balance the Aug system, but alas.

I have so many "it should have been" and "it would have been so much better if" floating in my mind while playing it. I tried to squeeze every bit of gameplay and secrets out of my run and often to my satisfaction, I did get some feedback. Though it really became shallow/non-existant near the end, all the way to that hamfisted button buffet. Sad.

Compare that to some of the effort they put into things like the opening menu screen with that almost alien music and perspective-disturbing background imagery, it makes you feel like you are going to play something truly mind twisting.

Oh well, I hope the "next one" isn't so limited by console considerations at least.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 7, 2011

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Question about the final level:

Are the augmented nut job zombies supposed to...actually attack you at all? All they ever did was yell crazed obscenities at me and make scary silly threatening poses while I casually walked along and tasered each of them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Berk Berkly posted:

Oh well, I hope the "next one" isn't so limited by console considerations at least.

I'm sure it wouldn't if the PC version could sell even half as many copies as the console version.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Crumpet posted:

It doesn't. Also, people that die from the resulting explosion do not count.

poo poo. Well there is 20 minutes of my life I won't get back after thinking I had to re-do saving Malik

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm sure it wouldn't if the PC version could sell even half as many copies as the console version.

I'm sure you have some facts to back this up.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

SpazmasterX posted:

Transparent trolling is transparent.

Honestly though, I truly do hope the game sells well overall and makes enough money that they will give another both the time and resources a game like this really deserves. Deus Ex is the kind of game that really magnifies every little ounce of effort the Devs put into making it. The original shines so bright because Warren and the gang really did put a lot of their brilliance and soul into it despite the limitations of the time. There are people who owned the game for years and played it regularly that still had "oh wow, you can do that? I didn't know that happened~" moments when watching/talking with other people that play simply due to the depth they invested into the game. I can see shades and attempts to imbue HR with that same spirit but it gets caught up in things like out of engine cutscenes instead.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Berk Berkly posted:

It is difficult to express how HR is both entertaining and disappointing at the same time. I really, really wish they had another 6 months to a year to really work on it, to flesh out the characters and interweave the story and secrets, to balance the Aug system, but alas.

I'm sure an extra 6 months on top of a continually-delayed 4 year development span would've made a world of difference. Also if it weren't for fuckin' console gamers we could've enjoyed amazing features like the high standard of credible plot development, character animation and voice acting - not to mention the amazingly varied augmentations that didn't have a very obvious 'best' choice - just like the original creation From God gave us.

It's not as good a game as the original, in my opinion. It'd be nice if you addressed those issues rather than going 'raaahhh consoles'.

Edit: oh, you just did. Still, why is this the fault of consoles, as opposed to an increasingly broader (and therefore, less absurdly elitist) audience?

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 7, 2011

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
From what I've seen about Foxiest/Pacifist achievements. A ton of this is what people have said so it might be false.

Foxiest
What counts as an alarm
- Turrets and Cameras going hostile. Maybe robots?
- Failing a Hack anywhere except maybe the last boss fight
- Enemies physically going to an alarm panel and activating it

What doesn't count
- Cameras going "suspicious"
- Regular enemies going hostile, but not setting off an alarm
- Scripted alarms
- Also, I believe you can't flip an alarm in the tutorial, any of the hubs, or the sarif plant mission. I'm not 100% on this.
- In the final boss fight: turrets spotting you doesn't count

Pacifist
What counts
- Killing people with a lethal weapon, including the tutorial
- Hacking a turret to target enemies

What doesn't count
- Bosses
- EMPs on robots, including enemies caught on the explosion
- People "dying" from tranqs, or falling off buildings after a non-lethal takedown. If you got "merciful soul" you're okay. e: It doesn't even count if you use the PEPS to blow somebody off a ledge.
- In the last boss fight Using the panel shut down life-support of the Hyron girls

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 7, 2011

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

- People "dying" from tranqs, or falling off buildings after a non-lethal takedown. If you got "merciful soul" you're okay. Although if you use the PEPS to blow somebody off it might count as a kill? I've never tried it.

Doesn't count, did it a bunch of times at the "bridge" scene and still got pacifist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I guess I could SAM to find out if I can get The Fall and Pacifist on the same playthrough.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Why is anyone worked up at all about (late game "plot-hole")the lapse between the rocket to Panchaea crash-landing and Jensen getting to land. The most likely alternative to that situation (save changing the scenario altogether) is an underwater level. In fact, I'm hoping it existed at one point, and the developers made a conscious choice to remove it. Because gently caress that noise.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
After about 5-6 hours of gameplay (highest difficulty lvl) I thought Deus Ex was pretty cool. Then, for whatever reason, the game decided to put me, a lvl 4 Hacker and generally sneaky guy, in a room with a huge roid dude armed with a minigun.

Alright, it's a bit perplexing, but yay boss fight I suppose. Let me see what the pattern is. Maybe I can run around a pillar and gently caress him with timing, he looks slow. NOPE, 2 bullets bring you to 50% energy. Alright, let's keep a good distance. NOPE, random instakill grenade spam. Ok then, let's focus real hard and dance around the pillar again, maybe with a shotgun. It's going fairly wel-NOPE, grenade spam, he's just throwing loving random frags at his feet, hurting himself and obviously killing me in the process.

I obviously have no spare praxis points because a few hours ago I thought having the ability to be invisible would've helped. It sure doesn't though! I also thought they could make a decent Deus Ex game in 2011, and meh, wrong again!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

arioch posted:

I guess I could SAM to find out if I can get The Fall and Pacifist on the same playthrough.

I (accidentally) tested this. You can't. Whoops.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

arioch posted:

On Steam and the 360 (in general), achievements don't roll back if you reload without saving after getting one. You can do the fall, pop the achievement, then reload and plant the drugs instead.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 7, 2011

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, I read on an achievement guide that both Kevorkian Complex and The Fall keep you from getting Pacifist. I plan on abusing saves, myself.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Paino posted:

After about 5-6 hours of gameplay (highest difficulty lvl) I thought Deus Ex was pretty cool. Then, for whatever reason, the game decided to put me, a lvl 4 Hacker and generally sneaky guy, in a room with a huge roid dude armed with a minigun.

Alright, it's a bit perplexing, but yay boss fight I suppose. Let me see what the pattern is. Maybe I can run around a pillar and gently caress him with timing, he looks slow. NOPE, 2 bullets bring you to 50% energy. Alright, let's keep a good distance. NOPE, random instakill grenade spam. Ok then, let's focus real hard and dance around the pillar again, maybe with a shotgun. It's going fairly wel-NOPE, grenade spam, he's just throwing loving random frags at his feet, hurting himself and obviously killing me in the process.

I obviously have no spare praxis points because a few hours ago I thought having the ability to be invisible would've helped. It sure doesn't though! I also thought they could make a decent Deus Ex game in 2011, and meh, wrong again!

Use cloak, or your general sneakiness to make him lose sight of you, he'll use his grenades and eventually kill himself. Sneaky.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

yerrow peril posted:

Use cloak, or your general sneakiness to make him lose sight of you, he'll use his grenades and eventually kill himself. Sneaky.

Already tried it, doesn't really work that well unfortunately, what with the horrible AI and throwing grenades in random directions thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well I did A and B and didn't come up with anything else/there's no way C could work, this game is poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Throw those gas barrels and explosive canisters at him. Make sure to aim a bit under him, since Adam throws things in a bit of an arc. The gas canisters stun him (so you can wail on him at range) and the barrels do a shitload of damage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also wait behind cover (not actually in cover) for breaks in his fire, since he can shoot things you are holding, which can be Very Bad

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

deepshock posted:

On Steam and the 360 (in general), achievements don't roll back if you reload without saving after getting one. You can do the fall, pop the achievement, then reload and plant the drugs instead.

That was kind of a reply to jackofarcades/etc. when they said they knocked unconscious people off bridges and still got Pacifist.

I guess the quest with The Fall just specifically flags against it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Running away and throwing barrels at him worked well for me, and I was a pretty sneaky hacker at that point. It's a dumb fight though.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Paino posted:

Already tried it, doesn't really work that well unfortunately, what with the horrible AI and throwing grenades in random directions thing.

There are a couple little alcoves on either side of the arena with lots of items and cover. These are your best bet for ducking in and getting him to lose track of you. He may either take care of himself completely with his own grenades or at least weaken himself enough that you can pop a few shots at him and have it be over pretty quick.

fisty delicious
Nov 24, 2010

Paino posted:

He's the easiest boss, just sprint away from the grenades and stick to cover while he's shooting. In the room there's a bunch of powerful guns scattered around, and if you have the stun gun (if you don't what is wrong with you) you can hit him with that to stun him while you pump him full of lead/throw explosive barrels at him.

The third boss fight though, gently caress that, especially since I was an idiot and got my chip replaced. I only won because I got lucky and cheesed the AI.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

arioch posted:

Well I did A and B and didn't come up with anything else/there's no way C could work, this game is poo poo.

I'm not saying it's poo poo but boy did it just take a nosedive. And judging by what I'm reading around the rage for Deus Ex boss fights is reaching critical mass everywhere. I suppose I'll have to lower the difficulty, which sucks.

I've just finished my 21st new game+ in Demon's Souls and I'm still having a blast with it. I love a challenge but hard is one thing and horrible game design another.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fisty delicious posted:

The third boss fight though, gently caress that, especially since I was an idiot and got my chip replaced.
I maintain it's entirely in character for Jensen to do that.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Paino posted:

It definitely works, it might just take longer than other methods. The room is pretty huge, and the boss tends to go in fairly predictable circles once he loses sight of you. Use a gas grenade or stun gun (or environmental gas canister) to stun, and you're pretty much in the clear, unless you do something stupid.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Even on the hardest difficulty level you don't need any Praxis points in any Augs what so ever to beat the first boss.

I deliberately went back and beat him a few different ways/weapons to test. As people have been saying, taking him out non-lethally makes zero difference. Makes me sad.

The most efficient was just immediately running up to him with my stun gun, zapping, dropping a bunch of ordinance at his feet to watch him explode. Fight over in a few moments with no damage taken by me.

I would have liked a lot more robustness in the Boss fights. They felt more like MSG3/4 battles than Deus Ex ones. The third is probably the most interesting if you were silly enough to have the new biochip put in. They really beat you over the head how that was probably going to pan out. I did it anyways to see if there might be some cool benefit, but in reality, all you do is miss out on a total :smug: moment.

In addition, I'm sad you can CQC the bosses. I figured having the arm strength upgrades, plus stunning them would let me at least do some chip damage before they regained equiliberium, but all I got for my effort was getting my rear end kicked embarrassingly.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I maintain it's entirely in character for Jensen to do that.

I'm pretty sure I would've gotten it if I hadn't been spoilered against it. The fact that it was optional probably should've been a big red flag anyway, but hey...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Paino posted:

I'm not saying it's poo poo but boy did it just take a nosedive. And judging by what I'm reading around the rage for Deus Ex boss fights is reaching critical mass everywhere. I suppose I'll have to lower the difficulty, which sucks.

I've just finished my 21st new game+ in Demon's Souls and I'm still having a blast with it. I love a challenge but hard is one thing and horrible game design another.
Just do what I did: get the trainer or the debug mode patch, make yourself invulnerable to get past the stupid joyless obstacle, then go back to enjoying the amazingly fun game you've been waiting for all these years.

It's not cheating if you're not using it to get through the actual Deus Ex game, of which this strange "boss fight" minigame is not a part.

Unless you're playing on console I guess, in which case good luck!

Berk Berkly posted:

I would have liked a lot more robustness in the Boss fights. They felt more like MSG3/4 battles than Deus Ex ones
I don't what you mean by "robustness" here. The hallmark of the boss fights in the original Deus Ex was that they were completely unrobust: two of them you could literally just run away from, two of them could be skipped completely by hacking the right computers, one could be cheesed by team-killing the boss several levels earlier while you were still on their side ... there wasn't a single spot in the original Deus Ex where you were locked into a tight arena with a bullet sponge and forced to shoot at them until they fell over (that guy in the missile silo doesn't count, seeing as how he goes down with a single bullet).

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have been watching it for half an hour now and I cannot stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU&NR=1

• Locked thread