Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DekeThornton posted:

Well, Tom answered that on Formspring.

I like that Annie has this petty and nasty side that comes out at times. Flaws like that makes her feel much more real and what Jack did to her and Reynadine was pretty damned lovely, so I can understand why she would hold a grudge, even if she knows it's irrational due to it not really being his fault and all.
I can buy Annie holding a grudge, but deciding to get revenge on Jack by leading him on... I dunno, it just feels a bit "off" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

I can buy Annie holding a grudge, but deciding to get revenge on Jack by leading him on... I dunno, it just feels a bit "off" to me.
Well you are presumably not a 14 year old girl. I think it could have been a little clearer leading up to this point though. I am also dense as a rock though.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Given her confusion/anger when Jack confessed his interest in Zimmy, I don't think we can discount the possibility that she was genuinely flirting with Jack, and is scrambling for an excuse now that she knows he won't be reciprocating.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

Given her confusion/anger when Jack confessed his interest in Zimmy, I don't think we can discount the possibility that she was genuinely flirting with Jack, and is scrambling for an excuse now that she knows he won't be reciprocating.

That makes way more sense to me, mainly because I can't really fathom how "pretending to be romantically interested in someone" is a kind of revenge plan that anyone would come up with.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

DaveWoo posted:

They're teenagers they don't know what the gently caress they're doing or why

It's both answers

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Sagan posted:

That makes way more sense to me, mainly because I can't really fathom how "pretending to be romantically interested in someone" is a kind of revenge plan that anyone would come up with.
Leading them on and then going "nyah nyah I don't actually like you" is reasonably mean.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Evil Sagan posted:

Have you ever been a teenager or been around them

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dammit Who? posted:

Have you ever been a teenager or been around them

Haha, yeah. It's kind of funny that people are dumbfounded by teenagers acting like teenagers in fiction.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

wyoming posted:

Haha, yeah. It's kind of funny that people are dumbfounded by teenagers acting like teenagers in fiction.

I was about to say exactly this. Almost all of the commentary on this chapter has been:

A: Why are they acting so stupid?
B: Because they are teenagers.
A: But doing X makes no sense!
B: No, but they're teenagers.
A: But then why did they do it?
B: Because they are teenagers.

(repeat)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, it's a sign of fairly good writing if "what I assume" the adult audience is confused by the actions of young teenagers.

I don't remember doing anything like this when I was that age, but I'm sure I pulled some confusingly motivated actions.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2011

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!
I think it makes better sense as a combination of teenage logic and unique Annie logic. She's apparently the type to hold a grudge and gets angry about perceived slights, has newfound self-confidence as a result of her summer stay in the woods, and is still a little unclear on "normal" social interactions.

Add the usual nonjudgement of a 14-year-old, and I can see how she'd think it would be a totally good idea to teach Jack a lesson by stringing him along and then blowing him off.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tom posted:

Here is another Coyote canvas. I think this one turned out quite well. I’m not sure if this is correct canvas etiquette, but I continued the painting down the edges of the canvas. Because it’s Coyote.
This is awesome! :swoon:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Elysiume posted:

Take all my money.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Soooo lovely! :h:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Take all my money.

Tom seems to have been flirting with the idea of putting some of these canvases on e-bay and expressing doubt about how much people would pay for them. I just want everyone to marvel at that sentence for a moment.

Tom, if you are reading this, auction some things. Auction a napkin imprinted with your lipstick kiss. You will make money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kismet posted:

Tom seems to have been flirting with the idea of putting some of these canvases on e-bay and expressing doubt about how much people would pay for them. I just want everyone to marvel at that sentence for a moment.

Tom, if you are reading this, auction some things. Auction a napkin imprinted with your lipstick kiss. You will make money.

Especially since I suspect even people who don't read Gunnerkrigg Court would think "drat, that's pretty" and pay money.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 8, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

1stGear posted:

Especially since I suspect even people who don't read Gunnerkrigg Court would think "drat, that's pretty" and pay money.

"This guy's got some pretty lips. Buy it now!"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

1stGear posted:

Every time I open this thread, I scroll back up and look at it again. And every time, it looks even nicer. Maybe he'll do prints or something somehow? :saddowns:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Elysiume posted:

Lordy, this one sure captured the chaotic nature of the guy.

Dodgeball posted:

"This guy's got some pretty lips. Buy it now!"

"Good lips, quality product, would buy again. A+++"

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, I got to chime in and say what a good idea selling this would be. I also think something like this would be popular even with folk who have no idea what Gunnerkrigg Court is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Want it so badly
Want to hang it on my wall
Why am I so broke

- My feelings in haiku form.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On one hand, I would want to hang it on my wall, but on the other hand, it would never stop watching me.

That said, people would pay plenty of money for that even if Gunnerkrigg didn't exist. It's a great work anyway.

Also, I'm getting some serious deco vibes from it.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
TRUE OR FALSE: Coyote sounds like "Him" from the Powerpuff Girls.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jfjnpxmy posted:

False. Coyote sounds like Mark Hamill's Joker, perhaps a bit more high pitched.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Holy crap. "Canvas etiquette" can take a hike if painting down the sides like that is wrong, because it looks amazing!

Want dat Coyote monolith on my wall

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Calaveron posted:

This is closer to how I imagine Coyote, though still not quite right.

Also, hell yes, that is an amazing Coyote canvas.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Tom hurry up and put that on eBay. I want to give you my money.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

jfjnpxmy posted:

Jesus, I remember thinking this when I was first reading the archives years ago. I was pretty neutral in liking Powerpuff Girls, too.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Exactly.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
He's a talking coyote, obviously he sounds like Scooby-Doo

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
No votes for Tim Curry?

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

No votes for Tim Curry?

Or Tony Jay? :v:

[That was kind of a poo poo move since he is dead :(]

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
While we're casting the animated movie (I can dream right?), the headmaster, or whatever he is exactly, is clearly Alan Rickman:

On this matter, I will brook no argument.

Edit: Need that canvas so bad.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 8, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Agreeable Employer posted:

Or Tony Jay? :v:

[That was kind of a poo poo move since he is dead :(]

I think Coyote would sound more like Kaa, rather than Shere Khan.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Next week Tom finds a way to cure cancer whilst simulatenously turning asbestos into gold, and then posts that he doesn't think anybody will be that interested in his lovely little science project.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 8, 2011

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Ysengrin sounds like that Xerxes dude from 300.

In my head at least.

Jones sounds like Hellen Mirren.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Don't be silly, Coyote is Dan Castalanetta doing a less-hammy robot devil.

Also Boxbot is John Lovitz. As is Robox.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Ka0 posted:

Ysengrin sounds like that Xerxes dude from 300.

In my head at least.

Jones sounds like Hellen Mirren.

Ysengrin is totally Keith David aka Goliath from Gargoyles. Good suggestion for Jones though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Boxbot is Gilbert Gottfried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Coyote's gotta be played by Nicolas Cage.