Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

vikingstrike posted:

What type of problems will you have to support? Desktop support? OS X server? Imaging?

I think that for really any level of support, direct access to a Mac and OS X is going to be the most beneficial step.

Consult with user community on wide range of complex hardware, software, and operating system issues on Dell, Lenovo and Macintosh platforms.

Required: BA/BS or equivalent education. Experience supporting Microsoft Windows XP, Macintosh OS X,

proven ability to troubleshoot network printing, file sharing, Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh;

Proficient in both PC and Macintosh multi-platform hardware;

Those are the mac lines in the posting. I didn't get the previous job because out of nowhere the CIO swept in and demanded someone who was strong on Macs - according to the POSTING, I'm qualified. I can do basic mac stuff and am a quick learner, and I *have* supported them. but I'm not taking any chances.

So I'd say 95% desktop hardware/software support and 5% "holy gently caress" emergency anything support.

wolffenstein posted:

In addition to the previous suggestions, I suggest learning about Linux's design philosophy and using the command line interface. Learning those helps with insight into OS X, although there are some major differences.

Getting a Mac and using it yourself if you haven't already is still the best advice. They may seem more expensive, but the return of investment is very high considering a decent Mac can run almost any OS through virtualization. That has let me keep my Windows knowledge current while letting me experiment with domain controllers and Mac integration in a Microsoft environment.

Luckily, while I am no Linus Torvald on the command line, I am not useless :) I have a lot of MS command line experience, and in my past a nifty stint working in hosting where I picked up a bit of *nix stuff. I'm comfortable in a command line setting, but often need a printout of commands.

Also: I agree with you. I'm not 18 years old and am very very willing to invest in my own future. I am trying to track down a white macbook locally for sale at the very least. Work won't give me one right now.

FCKGW posted:

If you're really serious about this, it would be invaluable to have a Mac on hand to learn and walk though the nuances of the OS. A few-generations old Macbook or Mac Mini can be had for under $500. Just make sure it's an Intel processor and it might be a good idea that it be able to run Lion.

As far as books, Apple has official books for their Training and Certification program. They're pretty thorough, and cover all the subjects like Apple Hardware, OSX Lion and Server, and also the pro apps.

http://www.peachpit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=135631

It really depends on what your job requires, but I would pick up the OSX 10.6 and OSX Lion support essentials books and maybe the Mac Hardware and Mac Security books.

Deadly serious. This is a career/life changing job path. Thank you for the help, I'm looking into a Mini or no frills macbook. I did just get an inside line on the job and it's a lot less mac support than the current part of the university I work on. ~60% raise and a big jump in benis.

Basically I lost this job because upper management decided at the last second that we were moving in a more apple direction and hired someone outside with more mac experience. They haven't hired anyone outside in 5+ years and I'm looking to transfer out.

xie fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

xie posted:

Also: I agree with you. I'm not 18 years old and am very very willing to invest in my own future. I am trying to track down a white macbook locally for sale at the very least. Work won't give me one right now.

Buy this, fast: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435944

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

wolffenstein posted:

Goddamn, is that including multiple versions of Adobe software?

Final Cut Studio 3, CS 5 Master Collection, Logic 8, and Pro Tools 9. That is for my 21 seat post production lab. Our main edit suites are around 80GB because we don't have Logic or PT on them.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

This is more than I really wanted to spend, and I can get a refurb mac mini for less + warranty :\

I'm really looking for a macbook with a dead screen/keyboard or something someone's just trying to unload for cash. It would be my 3rd laptop, it just need to function and run OSX somehow.

edit: Though I'll bet in 6mo i can sell the black laptop for like $450 at least.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 8, 2011

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you're going to be doing a lot of desktop support type stuff, here are some areas that I think would be valuable in your travels:

- Be comfortable installing OS X on a machine
- Know the different boot options (target mode, etc.) and what they are used for
- Be comfortable with the file system. Know where home folders for users live, know where applications typically install things, know where preferences files live, etc.
- Learn the Disk Utility application in Applications/Utilities
- Go through every section in System Preferences, especially the Sharing panel
- For Office, you'll probably just need to use it and map your Windows knowledge over. I'll warn you that Office for Mac is not the best software in the world.
- If you are going to have to do any virtualization support, going through BootCamp and one of Fusion/Parallels will be beneficial
- For network related troubleshooting, the Network Utility in Applications/Utilities may have some helpful tools graphically
- Learn how to parse the output in Console.app. Sometimes when really weird poo poo is happening on a machine, this can be a good place to start.
- For imaging purposes, software like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper can make this task really seamless.

The books linked are very good starting places, as are the certification training documents. Again, though, the best starting place will be getting a Mac.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks, that's helpful. I have some feelers out on craiglist for some busted up macbooks. My roommate has an iMac that I can use for a few hours every so often too.

Basically the new position I applied for is actually a better position, and with it comes a bit less Mac support. Our campus is trending toward Macs (particularly for faculty, who get sucked off at every turn), and the new campus kind of just shrugged and said yeah a few people have a Mac but its not a cornerstone.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

The Time Machine preferences file is root:wheel 644. You cannot remove it without administrator privileges. This is not new in Lion; the Time Machine preferences file was locked down in Snow Leopard.

What are you really trying to do by deleting this file? What's the higher-level goal? Deleting the Time Machine preferences from underneath the system is probably the wrong way to do whatever it is you really want to accomplish.

It's just a quick and dirty way to swap in/out multiple time machine configs automatically (based on if a specific external drive is plugged in, etc). It lets me use more than one TM backup location without having to manually swap.

I've tried adding "with administrator privileges" at the end of the specific lines but then I get an authentication prompt every time the script runs. I really wish there was a way to grant the privileges needed without requiring my intervention.

Also, the perms on these files don't seem to matter. I set them all to root:wheel 666 and still get the Permission Denied error. The blocking is happening above the file system permissions.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The entire computer market is trending toward Macs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xie posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I have some feelers out on craiglist for some busted up macbooks. My roommate has an iMac that I can use for a few hours every so often too.

Basically the new position I applied for is actually a better position, and with it comes a bit less Mac support. Our campus is trending toward Macs (particularly for faculty, who get sucked off at every turn), and the new campus kind of just shrugged and said yeah a few people have a Mac but its not a cornerstone.

Learn some cool command-line tricks, it's a Unix at the core so learn some. http://www.commandlinefu.com/ has handy tricks for Unix in general, but poke about for a BASH guide. The Terminal is also good for Mac-specific stuff, the defaults command changes a lot of different options that don't show up in the GUI anywhere. killall kills every process matching the name, so killall Dock restarts the Dock after you've changed something or if it's frozen somehow.

Explore the Library folders. Application Data has app-sepcific stuff, your Firefox profile for one. Applications acting strangely can often be fixed by deleting the preference file (and if it doesn't, put it back). With Property List Editor installed you can even edit preferences, this isn't as dangerous as registry editing because it affects only one program. Unless you're in /System/Library, which you shouldn't be.

edit: ^^^ Unix finally wins. With an Apple logo on it. That's loving hilarious.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

DigitalChaos posted:

It's just a quick and dirty way to swap in/out multiple time machine configs automatically (based on if a specific external drive is plugged in, etc). It lets me use more than one TM backup location without having to manually swap.

I've tried adding "with administrator privileges" at the end of the specific lines but then I get an authentication prompt every time the script runs. I really wish there was a way to grant the privileges needed without requiring my intervention.

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

quote:

Also, the perms on these files don't seem to matter. I set them all to root:wheel 666 and still get the Permission Denied error. The blocking is happening above the file system permissions.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

wolffenstein posted:

In addition to the previous suggestions, I suggest learning about Linux's design philosophy and using the command line interface. Learning those helps with insight into OS X, although there are some major differences.

Linux's design philosophy diverges significantly from OS X in many places. (E.g., the launchd architecture.)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

]To celebrate their entry into the app store Agile Bits is selling 1Password for $20, which is half off the normal price. This is one mac app I couldn't live without and I highly recommend checking out if you've never heard of it. My favorite feature is that it has a complementary iPhone app that syncs your passwords and stores them securely on your iPhone.

Also pro-tip I learned not too long ago: The hotkey to automatically log into web pages is "CMD \" .

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 8, 2011

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This might be a daft question but I am pretty daft.

I need to use Windows for University, is there a specific version of Windows that works best through Bootcamp?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

I need to use Windows for University, is there a specific version of Windows that works best through Bootcamp?
No Windows user should be using anything other than Windows 7.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Haggins posted:

]To celebrate their entry into the app store Agile Bits is selling 1Password for $20, which is half off the normal price. This is one mac app I couldn't live without and I highly recommend checking out if you've never heard of it. My favorite feature is that it has a complementary iPhone app that syncs your passwords and stores them securely on your iPhone.

Also pro-tip I learned not too long ago: The hotkey to automatically log into web pages is "CMD \" .

1password is a great program, especially for $20, but Agile Bits has done a terrible job so far updating 1Password for Lion. Half the time I go to use 1Password (I usually use CMD \ as well) it doesn't fill anything and I have to go find my username/password manually. This is on a computer where before they update to 3.8 and changed all the browser plugins everything worked fine. I also hate the new ui for the browser plugins. It also hasn't saved a few passwords despite me hitting the SAVE button. Its a great program, just be wary of it right now! Check out there forums to see what others are saying as well http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/forum/14-1password-for-mac-browser-extensions/

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I just got an iMac to compliment my Windows 7 laptop for work since my director loves OSX something fierce. I am trying to use the built in terminal to ssh into remote linux servers, which works great, but I cannot figure out how to enable X11 pass through. As such, no installer can use GUI windows when launched from the remote servers. I searched the internet and edited my sshd_config file to all X11 pass through, but it is still not working. I can launch things with X11 if I stay in the local terminal, but once I ssh to other servers it is just says "Error, can't find display."

Can anybody help a dummy out?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Haggins posted:

How did I use 1Password for years and not know this - thank you!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Parallels 7 for new customers: $80

Parallels 7 for Parallels customers: $50

Parallels 7 for VMWare Fusion customers: $30

Wait what?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

frogbs posted:

1password is a great program, especially for $20, but Agile Bits has done a terrible job so far updating 1Password for Lion. Half the time I go to use 1Password (I usually use CMD \ as well) it doesn't fill anything and I have to go find my username/password manually. This is on a computer where before they update to 3.8 and changed all the browser plugins everything worked fine. I also hate the new ui for the browser plugins. It also hasn't saved a few passwords despite me hitting the SAVE button. Its a great program, just be wary of it right now! Check out there forums to see what others are saying as well http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/forum/14-1password-for-mac-browser-extensions/
This is due to drastic changes Apple made in Safari for Lion. Apple basically killed the plug-in support 1Password used for it's browser integration in favor of Safari extensions. The problem is, Safari extensions do not have as much capability as the plug-ins did, so AgileBits and other third-party developers are trying to make up for it. It's expected that future Safari updates will improve extension support with more API capabilities.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

wolffenstein posted:

This is due to drastic changes Apple made in Safari for Lion. Apple basically killed the plug-in support 1Password used for it's browser integration in favor of Safari extensions. The problem is, Safari extensions do not have as much capability as the plug-ins did, so AgileBits and other third-party developers are trying to make up for it. It's expected that future Safari updates will improve extension support with more API capabilities.

Then why are their plug-ins for Chrome and Firefox equally as unstable/buggy?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Chrome and Safari are of the same codebase (as those browsers are both based on WebKit), and AgileBits just recently got into making extensions. I don't know about Firefox as I don't use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to Firefox's "let's copy Google" update model.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

- Be comfortable with the file system. Know where home folders for users live, know where applications typically install things, know where preferences files live, etc.
To expand on this a bit, the basics of this are pretty simple and come down to:

/System/Library = generally nothing will/should touch this except Apple stuff (but there are exceptions)
/Library = global Library, which has a bunch of settings/prefs and a lot of other things
/Users/username/Library (or ~/Library) = user specific Library, things in here will only affect that particular user

There's more to it of course but basically /Users poo poo only applies to the particular users, while /System and /Library are global.

Another tip I'd throw in is to have an emergency disk/flash drive of some sort to help troubleshoot. Could be something as simple as a Lion recovery drive (which would limit you to 64-bit Macs though), an older OS install disk, or something like a Linux Live emergency disk or other specific repair utility like Disk Warrior or something (make the company pay for that type of software though). Those are more last resort sort of things which may not apply to what you need to do though.

Computer wise I'd suggest a 2009 Mac mini (with the Nvidia graphics) if you can find one cheap enough, otherwise once refurbs of the new ones come out those might be the best price/performance wise, mainly cause older models tend to have a high resale value. That's all assuming you have an existing screen and peripherals to hook up, rather than having to buy those as well though.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No Windows user should be using anything other than Windows 7.
And Lion's BC drivers are only for Win 7 aren't they?

Virtualization is another option unless you really need to boot into Windows for whatever school software.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Parallels 7 for new customers: $80

Parallels 7 for Parallels customers: $50

Parallels 7 for VMWare Fusion customers: $30

Wait what?
Someone on Amazon is selling an old version of Fusion for about $18 shipped, save $2 over upgrading from Parallels!

wolffenstein posted:

Chrome and Safari are of the same codebase (as those browsers are both based on WebKit), and AgileBits just recently got into making extensions. I don't know about Firefox as I don't use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to Firefox's "let's copy Google" update model.
They share WebKit but that doesn't mean anything else has to be remotely similar.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 9, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I meant 1password's Chrome and Safari extensions are of the same codebase. Other extensions like adblock have the same practice.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

frogbs posted:

What browser are you using? I use Safari and right after I upgraded to Lion, it stopped working. A couple days later they added some kind of beta fix and it changed the interface. It didn't work well and it wouldn't save most of my passwords. After a few more days there was an update that fixed all the problems and it's been working as well as it used to. It's now to the point where I actually prefer the new interface. Is 1P on it's newest version?

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 9, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Haggins posted:

What browser are you using? I use Safari and right after I upgraded to Lion, it stopped working. A couple days later they added some kind of beta fix and it changed the interface. It didn't work well and it wouldn't save most of my passwords. After a few more days there was an update that fixed all the problems and it's been working as well as it used to. It's now to the point where I actually prefer the new interface. Is 1P on it's newest version?

Everything is on the newest version, and things are still hit or miss. My main grip is that CMD \ will only work about half the time now. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason, it will just refuse to autofill one day while working completely fine on the same page the next.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

I just got an iMac to compliment my Windows 7 laptop for work since my director loves OSX something fierce. I am trying to use the built in terminal to ssh into remote linux servers, which works great, but I cannot figure out how to enable X11 pass through. As such, no installer can use GUI windows when launched from the remote servers. I searched the internet and edited my sshd_config file to all X11 pass through, but it is still not working. I can launch things with X11 if I stay in the local terminal, but once I ssh to other servers it is just says "Error, can't find display."

Can anybody help a dummy out?

ssh -X user@host

doesn't work?

(Sorry, it's not clear if you're asking for the answer to "how do I ssh forward?" or the answer to "why doesn't -X work?")

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

wolffenstein posted:

DeployStudio. You should subscribe to the MacEnterprise mailing list or at least read the archives.

mayodreams posted:

I am going to second wolffenstein's recommendation of DeployStudio. I setup a MBP running OS X Server with DNS, DCHP, Netboot, and AFP and then netboot 7 Macs connected to a private gigabit switch and restore that way. I can push out 110gb images to 7 machines in about 90 minutes. :smugdog:

Thank's. I started looking into this and I'll probably start with doing local deployment with a external hard drive and move from there. Is there any special way you guys deal with licensed application and automation for software?

Also, on the side note. Can someone comment on NTFS-3G? I'm having a hell of a hard time googling about it. It looks like it was bought out by Tuxera?

I came across a slightly outdated NTFS-3G dmg from 2010. Is that the latest version?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Also, on the side note. Can someone comment on NTFS-3G? I'm having a hell of a hard time googling about it. It looks like it was bought out by Tuxera?

I came across a slightly outdated NTFS-3G dmg from 2010. Is that the latest version?
No firsthand experience, so all I know about it is from here, and that can basically be summed up as "it's slow as poo poo". What will you be using it/NTFS drives for? There might be better ways to go about whatever you're doing with them.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
My friend wants to put an ssd in his macbook pro, doesnt have lion yet though. Even if he gets lion is he seriously going to have to do all this poo poo?

are you loving kidding me apple?

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/03/27/the-universal-solution-to-activate-trim
http://gdgt.com/question/in-os-x-lion-how-do-you-enable-trim-support-for-ssds-f16/

Can someone please tell me that apple has not just limited this to pre-installed SSDs and now makes it easy to enable

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Still have to run TRIM enabler for third-party SSDs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't condone Apple artificially restricting their TRIM support, but it's a one-line PERL script. Not that big a deal.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.

thanks!
ill check into that and finally get my backups running again

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Haggins posted:

What do I do if I already have 1Password? I just tried to update and it won't let me go past 3.8.5.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

So I kinda want to like the spelling correction in Lion as its useful for when I make typos, but is there a way to undo corrections with a keyboard shortcut? Like I wanna write Skream sometimes, not scream, but it won't let me and I have to stop typing to click on the word to stop it from changing it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

So I kinda want to like the spelling correction in Lion as its useful for when I make typos, but is there a way to undo corrections with a keyboard shortcut? Like I wanna write Skream sometimes, not scream, but it won't let me and I have to stop typing to click on the word to stop it from changing it.

You kids today, totally forgetting the esc key exists or what it does.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

that only stops it from changing before you've pressed space and if you're typing quickly you miss it and have to go back which is annoying. I just turned it off for now anyway.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

that only stops it from changing before you've pressed space and if you're typing quickly you miss it and have to go back which is annoying. I just turned it off for now anyway.
When you're typing, just like on iOS, you hit backspace on the word it corrected, and you get an option to change it back to what you wrote. Kind of finicky, though, as I have a habit of mashing the backspace button in rapid succession. Not sure if there is a keyboard shortcut for it, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Anytime that typo correction blurb pops up, especially on my MBA, I have to really resist the urge to reach up to the screen and touch it to dismiss it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Ziir posted:

What do I do if I already have 1Password? I just tried to update and it won't let me go past 3.8.5.

It sounds like 1Password 4.0 is going to be App Store only. (The App Store version is currently 3.9.) I'm going to go ahead and upgrade, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

lol internet. posted:

Thank's. I started looking into this and I'll probably start with doing local deployment with a external hard drive and move from there. Is there any special way you guys deal with licensed application and automation for software?

I started doing this via external hard drives too, but it did not scale the way I wanted it to. Most of our apps are on a volume license, so I really don't have to worry about that. If you don't use it already, get Apple Remote Desktop. That helps tremendously with doing mass tasks on your machines. I use it to install apps/packages, run unix scripts, and remote admin because i have machines in 5 different buildings.

As for NTFS-3G, I'd stay away from it. OS X will read NTFS natively, but the free options for writing are still terrible I think. What are you needing to write to NTFS drives for?