Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mister Roboto posted:

For comparative purposes, here's how they've softened up Natalie Portman's face:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2412xyx.jpg
Does this mean they're going to fix that scene towards the beginning of Episode III where she's standing on the balcony and looks like a loving ghoul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hazo posted:

Does this mean they're going to fix that scene towards the beginning of Episode III where she's standing on the balcony and looks like a loving ghoul?

Couldn't say, but the "softer" edits have also been done to Qui-Gon:

http://www.abload.de/img/1_03n24e.png

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
What the gently caress are you nerds noticing in these pictures that I, not a nerd, am not?

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Hazo posted:

Screenshot requested.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Van Dis posted:

What the gently caress are you nerds noticing in these pictures that I, not a nerd, am not?

Seconded, actually

EDIT: OK read that wrong, thought it said "also a nerd" ... but still seconded.

EDIT: Maybe since I'm not noticing anything either I should reassess whether I actually am a nerd or not.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 8, 2011

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Van Dis posted:

The fact the actors look like made up dead bodys.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hazo posted:

Thank god someone else besides me feels that way about the scene.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

dogflaps posted:

Complain that George Lucas goes back and CGI's over all the practical effects used in the original trilogy.

Complain that George Lucas doesn't go back and CGI over the practical effects used in the prequel trilogy.

It's been a valid complain since day 1 of the Special Editions that Lucas added and changed stuff that didn't it, but completely ignored other things that could have used a touch. Atleast if you were going to do a special edition anyways.

Mister Roboto posted:

Meh, it just looks like a lackluster transfer.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

feedmyleg posted:

If you're into that sort of thing, look into a GOUT fan edit. There are a couple of really solid ones out there that have recreated the original OT cut and visuals, keeping some of the Special Edition changes like erasing matte lines. Hopefully someone puts out an even better one after these DVDs come out.

But they never erased the matte lines. I can still see those ugly red and green boxes around the tie fighters in the DVD versions of ANH and ESB. This was the only thing from the original trilogy that ever needed to be fixed, and despite Lucas's numerous changes to his trilogy, it was never changed. If they fix this in the blurays, I'll probably get it. Otherwise, I'm done buying star wars trilogies.

edit:

Just saw the added Darth Vader "Noooo!" scene in ROTJ on youtube as well as the re-edit of the Greedo scene showing them shoot at exactly the same time now.

Lucas is the most brilliant troll on Earth. It's quite an accomplishment to troll an entire generation of nerds the way he's done these passed couple decades.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 9, 2011

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
All these update/change/George always wanted it like this clips are really making me nostalgic for the days when the absolute worst thing about Star Wars was Ewoks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Razorwired posted:

All these update/change/George always wanted it like this clips are really making me nostalgic for the days when the absolute worst thing about Star Wars was Ewoks.

Holiday Special

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

The fact the actors look like made up dead bodys.

No that's how they look except for Toad from X-Men whose face isn't actually red and black (can't say about the horns). Liam Neeson looks like that. When he is playing a Jedi.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Mister Roboto posted:

That looks like an upscaled DVD, not even.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
They changed the Han/Leia Hoth scene:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/06/star-wars-empire-strikes-back-deleted-scene/#more-46777

I'm really hoping this is just a bluray extra and not in the actual film. It's a fleeting hope though, knowing Lucas.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Gianthogweed posted:

They changed the Han/Leia Hoth scene:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/06/star-wars-empire-strikes-back-deleted-scene/#more-46777

I'm really hoping this is just a bluray extra and not in the actual film. It's a fleeting hope though, knowing Lucas.

Are you incapable of reading the article you yourself linked??

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
That deleted scene is averagely acted by Harrison Ford if you ask me. Seems kind of clunky.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the deleted stuff.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

neolithic posted:

That deleted scene is averagely acted by Harrison Ford if you ask me. Seems kind of clunky.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the deleted stuff.

Yeah, I'm mostly excited for the extras and featurettes. I mean, having all the movies in glorious 1080p is nice and all, but I'm still really wanting the extras more than anything. I loved Empire of Dreams on the DVD release.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Suenteus Po posted:

Screenshot requested.
"You're so... beautiful."

"It's only because I'm so in lgive me your skin."

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Hazo posted:

This is what happens when you light for effects and not for character.
I suppose the keylight on her right was supposed to give her a warm halo glow, given the angle of that key and the fact Lucas has proven he love to change entire backdrops I'm having a sneaking suspicion that this scene was intended to be set at dusk.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hazo posted:

:stare:

What the gently caress.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

WebDog posted:

This is what happens when you light for effects and not for character.
I suppose the keylight on her right was supposed to give her a warm halo glow, given the angle of that key and the fact Lucas has proven he love to change entire backdrops I'm having a sneaking suspicion that this scene was intended to be set at dusk.

:aaa:

I didn't even notice until I read your post, but you're right. She's glowing orange from the back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
A lot of the scenes inserted into the OT really stick out like a sore thumb because of the difference between the film used back then, and the CG being used 10 years ago.

Still, I always thought that a scene with Boba Fett inserted into ROTJ would be awesome: After Solo hits Fett in the backpack, Fett flies off uncontrollably - and you'd see Fett's POV, with him seeing the barge coming at him (perhaps in green, I assume he sees everything in a green or blue tint from the visor), and the words MISFIRE flashing, his hands waving wildly, before he crashes into the side of the sail barge.

Is this awesome?: Y/N

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Red posted:

Is this awesome?: Y/N

No and you should be ashamed for thinking of that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cubone posted:

:aaa:

I didn't even notice until I read your post, but you're right. She's glowing orange from the back.
There was a flying spotlight droid carrying the Death Star plans past the balcony.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Joe Don Baker posted:

No and you should be ashamed for thinking of that.

I think it'd work in comic or animated form, but maybe not film.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003
Cutting away from the main action to show Boba helmet cam is a bad idea because it's jarring, needless focus on a very minor character who has little importance to the scene other than coolness/fan appeal. Also anything involving gratuitous shaky-cam is the devil.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Hazo posted:

Only George Lucas can make Natalie Portman look unattractive.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

omgLerkHat! posted:

Cutting away from the main action to show Boba helmet cam is a bad idea because it's jarring, needless focus on a very minor character who has little importance to the scene other than coolness/fan appeal.

So it fits with the rest of Lucas' vision really well then.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

So it fits with the rest of Lucas' vision really well then.

So it would seem!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The whole idea seems really like something Lucas could have thought up. Which makes it a very bad idea.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I have a few questions about RotS that I've been wondering about for some time. First, when Padme squirts out Luke, the medical droid looks down and says, "It's a boy... oh wait, twins! What a surprise!" But, the technology we have IRL lets us know the sex and number of children at 4-5 months. Given the level of technology in the Star Wars universe, one would think Padme would know it was twins soon after Anakin rolled off her and lit up a space cigarette.

Second, when Palpatine is zapped by his own Force lightning, and his face gets all icky and his voice becomes... pretty cool to be honest, was his voice digitally altered, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Gynovore posted:

after Anakin rolled off her and lit up a space cigarette.

"Death stick" :eng101:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Van Dis posted:

There's an application of grain reduction being applied that's picking up the texture in things like cloth and skin and giving everything a very smeary look. As a result Qui-Gon looks like he's made of plasticine.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Gynovore posted:

I have a few questions about RotS that I've been wondering about for some time. First, when Padme squirts out Luke, the medical droid looks down and says, "It's a boy... oh wait, twins! What a surprise!" But, the technology we have IRL lets us know the sex and number of children at 4-5 months. Given the level of technology in the Star Wars universe, one would think Padme would know it was twins soon after Anakin rolled off her and lit up a space cigarette.

For the same reason that all GUIs are "Minority Report" 3D hologram touch screens and 20 years later the empire has to resort to mechanical switches.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

that awful man posted:

"Death stick" :eng101:
They must have a helluva marketing strategy.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So we can confirm the idea that Lucas got motherfucking lucky with Star Wars and that it should've been the steaming turd the studios thought it would've?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I would say Lucas put a whole lot of love and creative effort into the original Star Wars. The success of it was largely his. What happened later was a series of unfortunate events that led him to become a businessman rather than an artist. After Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, he became convinced that audiences only wanted a roller coaster ride and that story was secondary. Then his aspirations became solely focused on opening Skywalker Ranch as a sort of mecca for filmmakers. This cost a whole lot of money, so by the time RotJ came around, his primary concern was how much the movie could make. Then his divorce took half his wealth and he had to build it back up with all the merchandising in the 90s and finally the prequels.

It's almost a tragedy the way things later transpired, but I think people give Lucas too little credit for the success of the original movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr. Benway posted:

For the same reason that all GUIs are "Minority Report" 3D hologram touch screens and 20 years later the empire has to resort to mechanical switches.
Buttons are better than touchscreens :colbert:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

Holiday Special

I bought a VHS copy of that at a comic book convention in '93 and it was so goddamn horrible, but once the Rifftrax came out and I revisited it a few years ago, it was totally worth it. It's a Star Wars tv special with Bea Arthur singing. I mean come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

astr0man posted:

Anyone know how the kindle version works with the extra content?
I don't know about the Kindle, but I can't see any of the author's notes in the free sample on the Nook. I see the super-scripted numbers for the notes, but that's it. I'm a bit hesitant to spend $15 if the same holds true for the full version. :(