Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is pretty cool, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus will have a reversible cover so instead of the crappy logo drenched cover you can have:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Sweet. Reversing that cover's the first thing I'm gonna do when my copy arrives. This'll be one of the few games per year that I buy rather than rent.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Ok, so it turns out all the criticisms aimed at Dungeon Siege 3 don't really affect me in the slightest as i'm finding it an excellent purchase (£10 is an absolute steal)

I notice it's made by obsidian, did they work on the engine or was it an already established one, because it's probably the least buggy game of their's that i've ever played. Writing isn't too bad, though not up to their usual scratch the stonebridge clockwork golems are amusing though

Also...gently caress, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Saints Row the 3rd, Disgaea 4, it's a good year for hopefully high quality sequels. It's a bad year to be dirt poor also :smith:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Polite Tim posted:

Also...gently caress, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Saints Row the 3rd, Disgaea 4, it's a good year for hopefully high quality sequels. It's a bad year to be dirt poor also :smith:

It's a bad year to have a job, too.

Really, it's just a good year to have a lot of money and no work to attend. Like, a trust fund kid. A good year for them.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Really, it's just a good year to have a lot of money and no work to attend. Like, a trust fund kid. A good year for them.

Finally, they catch a break.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Feenix posted:

Crosspost from R3 thread (which is dead, hence the crosspost):

So for all the poo poo I talked about the MP beta, ( I wouldn't know about the final product since I rented and there's not even a trial online pass...) and I thought Resistance 2 sucked butt... I gotta say just about EVERYTHING about R3's campaign is divine! Great graphics and art, good tone, WEAPON WHEEL, plenty of ammo, and giving you lots to play with upfront.

Anyone who hated R2 (or even R3's MP) needs to give this a shot. It's satisfying... And lovingly crafted.

I got this from GameFly yesterday and I have to wholeheartedly agree. If R3 is Insomniac's apology for R2, then all is forgiven. It really doesn't even seem like the same company made the two games (which maybe their Raleigh studio was responsible for this one?). Although I suspect the campaign is much shorter than I'd like it to be, but it is quite amazing.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 9, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There's a goon in this thread playing The Saboteur, stuck on the time trial. Well I just picked up another copy of that game, and loading up my last save from my no shops/garages/upgrades run I had that same time trial still available. (It's not essential to complete the story.) I was just now able to complete the time trial using the Dugatti that spawns at the race start, so if you take along a car like the Altair then you should find it even easier to beat.

To be fair, it did take me a few goes to get it right, but so long as you don't hit any cars on the way round and take the corners smoothly you should be ok. Just don't let your finger off the gas at any point, if you do then you are playing it wrong.

Oh Saboteur, how I have missed you.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Polite Tim posted:

Ok, so it turns out all the criticisms aimed at Dungeon Siege 3 don't really affect me in the slightest as i'm finding it an excellent purchase (£10 is an absolute steal)
Where are you seeing it that cheap? Amazon has the 360 version for $34, which isn't bad, and the PS3 for $40-ish, but not seeing anything lower.

... and here I could make a joke about the US dollar just being that weak, but no, seems it at least isn't quite that bad.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

I notice it's made by obsidian, did they work on the engine or was it an already established one, because it's probably the least buggy game of their's that i've ever played. Writing isn't too bad, though not up to their usual scratch the stonebridge clockwork golems are amusing though

That engine was made by Obsidian. And drat it seems to make all the difference when they know all the ins and outs of what they're using. Much less buggy and more optimized than their Aurora, UE3, and Gamebryo games. Their next project that I know of is in the Wheel of Time IP but I've never read those books or have any clue what they're like besides being some kind of fantasy. And they're working with some studio called Red Eagle Games which I've never heard of.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

So apparently the original Crysis is coming to PS3 and 360 next month as a $20 download. Here's the trailer (with 360 footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZFZs9PjrY

I've never played it or Crysis 2, so I might pick it up at some point since everyone talks about it being a great game. I think it looks fantastic graphically but I guess it doesn't look as good as on a great PC, but I don't have a great gaming PC so I'll make do with my PS3. It still looks better than most games released this year. I'm looking forward to it.

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

Danthrax posted:

So apparently the original Crysis is coming to PS3 and 360 next month as a $20 download. Here's the trailer (with 360 footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZFZs9PjrY

I've never played it or Crysis 2, so I might pick it up at some point since everyone talks about it being a great game. I think it looks fantastic graphically but I guess it doesn't look as good as on a great PC, but I don't have a great gaming PC so I'll make do with my PS3. It still looks better than most games released this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Holy crap only $20? How have I not heard of this before?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Because it was just announced! :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is awesome, because Crysis 1 was a much better game then its sequel.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Hey remember when crytek said crysis 1 wasn't possible on consoles because

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hey remember when crytek said crysis 1 wasn't possible on consoles because
I only really ever hear of Crysis being used as a graphics benchmark on the PC, I have no idea how good or bad it is as an actual game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only really ever hear of Crysis being used as a graphics benchmark on the PC, I have no idea how good or bad it is as an actual game.

Opinions vary between 'fantastic' and 'terrible'. It's one of those lovely divisive games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gently caress yes I can't wait to stealth around and punch North Koreans in the face with birds, Crysis 1 owns so much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

gently caress yes I can't wait to stealth around and punch North Koreans in the face with birds, Crysis 1 owns so much.
Punch them...with birds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Also turtles, don't forget the turtles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You mean like, put a bird or a turtle in your hand and then punch them?

edit: I played Crysis 2 briefly, I found it to be a fairly ordinary and uninteresting shooter. I guess 1 is more open-worldy, is it as much so as Far Cry 2? That's the other game by them I have played.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 9, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh yeah. You just stealth like the drat Predator and grab yourself a chicken from a coop, run right up to some unsuspecting North Korean soldier in the jungle and when he ain't lookin' you just WHAM PUNCH THAT BIRD INTO HIS FACE

Crysis is about dicking around with enemies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean like, put a bird or a turtle in your hand and then punch them?

edit: I played Crysis 2 briefly, I found it to be a fairly ordinary and uninteresting shooter. I guess 1 is more open-worldy, is it as much so as Far Cry 2? That's the other game by them I have played.

Exactly this. This is why Crysis 2 was no where near as good. In fact Crysis 2, was a pretty awful game. But Crysis 1 was crazy amounts of fun and you could do so much awesome stuff in it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Honestly, Crysis 2 is absolute garbage in comparison to the first game. I hope they bring Warhead to consoles as well :D

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm...well, Far Cry 2 was entertaining for a while, honestly I don't know why I stopped playing it exactly. For $20 maybe I'll give that but with super powers a try someday.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked the first part of it, then halfway through the game everything radically changes and I gave up on it because I wasn't having fun with it anymore.

Swimming around in "zero gravity" with no ammo anywhere so having to punch a bunch of mermaids to death through a giant maze is not my idea of a fun time

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not the hugest fan of the AC games, but the new multiplayer beta is the coolest poo poo. I'll probably get the retail game just for the multiplayer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palleon posted:

Swimming around in "zero gravity" with no ammo anywhere so having to punch a bunch of mermaids to death through a giant maze is not my idea of a fun time
I dunno, that sounds kinda fun to me, and definitely not a thing I complain that I'm always having to do in FPSs.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...well, Far Cry 2 was entertaining for a while, honestly I don't know why I stopped playing it exactly. For $20 maybe I'll give that but with super powers a try someday.
It isn't as open-world as Far Cry 2. Crysis is open-world like Far Cry 1 was open-world. There are limits to keep you in interesting areas, but within those areas you have free reign.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Oh yeah. You just stealth like the drat Predator and grab yourself a chicken from a coop, run right up to some unsuspecting North Korean soldier in the jungle and when he ain't lookin' you just WHAM PUNCH THAT BIRD INTO HIS FACE

Crysis is about dicking around with enemies.

This is the greatest gameplay mechanic I have ever heard of :aaa:

I need this game, like, right now. I've never had a PC capable of playing it but for $20 on my ps3? Hell yes.

Speaking of hilarious death, I'm FINALLY playing New Vegas, and it is awesome. I played Fallout 3 on my laptop which was way underpowered for it, leading to me playing through the whole thing at like 15 fps with crappy graphics. NV on the PS3 is very nice.

[yeah yeah I need to go buy a new PC and see it even prettier, but this works for me for now]

I will never get tired of headshotting people, and watching their head, complete with big grinning face, just kind of slide off their body and roll around.

Also it's pretty freaking hard, but I think that's because I'm being massively dumb about just rushing into situations guns blazing, running out of AP, and getting chewed up. I've been too dulled by modern FPS gameplay; I forgot how Fallout works.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Palleon posted:

I liked the first part of it, then halfway through the game everything radically changes and I gave up on it because I wasn't having fun with it anymore.

You really missed out then, since that was a small part of a big game and there were some absolutely fantastic levels after that. Besides, the part you mention was incredibly short. I know it features one room where it can take a while to find the exit (I think most people got stuck here for a little while) but all in all, it really was a very small part of the game and what came afterwards was awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I said come in! posted:

Also turtles, don't forget the turtles.

Frogs dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlxF-qA9ku4

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Crysis started out great from a 'messing around with enemies' point of view. Yeah, it's a fairly gorgeous game with a decent core mechanic (nanosuit) on top of a shooter and vast areas to traverse, but after playing through it once I felt it could've abruptly ended right when all the alien stuff started and I would've enjoyed it more. From that point on the game is kind of dogshit, not to mention having the most infuriating vehicle section I think I've ever played in a game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

This is the greatest gameplay mechanic I have ever heard of :aaa:

I need this game, like, right now. I've never had a PC capable of playing it but for $20 on my ps3? Hell yes.
I got it for $5 in a valve sale.

It still looks amazing, it's 3 years old and will probably still be toned down a bit for consoles.

Honestly I've been playing PC games the last year or so, there has been amazing stuff and I'm still catching up. The PS3 game that will get me to turn it on again will be Dark Souls, I'll pick up some of the super Japanese stuff like Catherine and Disgaea 4 for cheap eventually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is why Crysis will never be as good on consoles as it is on PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_s-ErDeP8

But get it anyway, the game owns.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How in god's name did the new Bloodrayne game manage to pass with a T rating. I'm decapitating people left and right and throwing them in spinning bladed. I don't actually care, but it's downright confusing that this didn't get an M.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

How in god's name did the new Bloodrayne game manage to pass with a T rating. I'm decapitating people left and right and throwing them in spinning bladed. I don't actually care, but it's downright confusing that this didn't get an M.

No bare breasts, no bad language, no humans (vampires look identical to them, but aren't!) = You can dance in a sea of gore and nobody will care.

Ah, America.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Cartoony graphics + no 'humans' dying + no nudity + no curse words = safe!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Brightman posted:

I got this from GameFly yesterday and I have to wholeheartedly agree. If R3 is Insomniac's apology for R2, then all is forgiven. It really doesn't even seem like the same company made the two games (which maybe their Raleigh studio was responsible for this one?). Although I suspect the campaign is much shorter than I'd like it to be, but it is quite amazing.

This Resistance is from the main studio in Burbank. The Raleigh studio is working on the Ratchet and Clank game right now. I also fear that this may be a bit short unless when you get to New York there is hours more of gameplay from where I'm at and going into the tower making the wormhole.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Bloodrayne demo is pretty fun, I gotta say. Anyone play the full version give us some feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Shalinor posted:

Where are you seeing it that cheap? Amazon has the 360 version for $34, which isn't bad, and the PS3 for $40-ish, but not seeing anything lower.

... and here I could make a joke about the US dollar just being that weak, but no, seems it at least isn't quite that bad.

Very specifically a Tesco store in England for £12 minus 10% staff discount, that's how. I'm pretty sure i ripped someone off but that company has been loving with my hours for the past two years so gently caress it. Got Bayonetta for £9 off them about six months ago as well. They're selling Infamous 2 for £42 though so it's only somethings that are a good deal on very few occasions.

• Locked thread