Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

kas posted:

As is my understanding, right now, hunger bar empties about 6/10 of the entire bar each game day, food restores about the same amount of hunger bar that it used to heal, when your hunger bar is full, you regenerate about half a heart every 4 seconds or so, eating requires you to sit there unable to move or do anything else for about 3-4 seconds each food item, and food sources all basically require farming, or run away from you now when you try and attack them.

In practice, it appears to be not very fun.

I'm confused, why can't you move as you eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
But does eating food still restore hearts while filling your hunger bar?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Will sleeping drain your hunger bar? I'm thinking it wont since in vanilla it doesn't technically pass time but with something like Somnia it might become an issue.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One change however seems to be that cooked food now stacks to 64. Also new sources of food and didn't someone mention leaf blocks having a chance to drop apples?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Tracula posted:

Will sleeping drain your hunger bar? I'm thinking it wont since in vanilla it doesn't technically pass time but with something like Somnia it might become an issue.

I don't think anyone knows yet, but what I do know is that someone who wrote Somnia will have to update it to work with 1.8, and regardless of that answer, they will probably come up with their own.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

But does eating food still restore hearts while filling your hunger bar?

No. Food only restores the hunger bar.

Pucklynn posted:

I'm confused, why can't you move as you eat?

Eating roots you in place and has an eating animation that's several seconds long. You can move around at about 10% of your normal speed, but can't jump or crawl or do anything else.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Wait wait I'm confused, they removed healing items from the game?? And replaced them with cancer???

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

kas posted:

No. Food only restores the hunger bar.

Eating roots you in place and has an eating animation that's several seconds long. You can move around at about 10% of your normal speed, but can't jump or crawl or do anything else.

Interesting design decision.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

kas posted:

As is my understanding, right now, hunger bar empties about 6/10 of the entire bar each game day, food restores about the same amount of hunger bar that it used to heal, when your hunger bar is full, you regenerate about half a heart every 4 seconds or so, eating requires you to sit there unable to move or do anything else for about 3-4 seconds each food item, and food sources all basically require farming, or run away from you now when you try and attack them.

But that means a single cooked pork chop a day will keep your hunger full unless you run everywhere. Also, between sprinting, bows, and the new combat mechanics, I don't think it will be very difficult to kill a pig even if it runs away.

The eating animation sucks a bit (especially if it applies to cake, which already takes time to get the full benefit) but considering it will take a bit to regenerate health anyway, I doubt you'll be eating in the middle of combat, which is the only time it would be an issue.

And I farm anyway on the current system for my main healing items, so I don't really mind that.

On a different topic, stack-able pork should help make wolves a bit more useful, now that their healing won't take up half your inventory. Unless they have a hunger bar as well. :gonk:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Verizian posted:

One change however seems to be that cooked food now stacks to 64. Also new sources of food and didn't someone mention leaf blocks having a chance to drop apples?

I believe that was a suggestion, it's not actually in the game.

And this eating animation sounds like a terrible idea. I don't mind (so much) having to snarf a porkchop every now and then, especially if I can carry 64 of them in one slot, but having to stop what I'm doing to eat just sounds annoying. I can see myself putting off eating until I get this last vein or something and starving to death because I'm too focused on mining. It happens to me IRL anyways.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Really the worst part of it is it makes you end up standing around a lot more. Previously, if you were in a hectic combat, you could eat up and keep going. Now, you have to find a safe spot to eat, eat, and then wait around for hearts to refill at 8 seconds a heart and hope nothing gets to you. Creeper snuck up behind you and blasted you to 2 hearts and it's night time? Better find somewhere safe and then sit there regenerating. Exploring a cave and fell off a cliff? Better be happy mining where you are if you think you can't survive another cliff fall, because you're going to have to spend a bunch of time...sitting around regenerating.

It feels like a timesink and way to randomly just make combat way more annoying, than an actual game improvement. Unless you like combat to involve a lot of random fleeing and then resting up in the middle of it.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

kas posted:

Farming food has always been pitifully easy in this game though. The hardest part is the initial investment of designing the farmland.

Also, the payoff of food per animal seems to have substantially increased -- in the trailer someone took out a cow, and it dropped something like three leather and three steaks.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'll have to wait and see. People complained when Terraria nerfed healing a bit but I think it made the game more fun and crafting more productive in the long run.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I just picked up Terraria again, and I'm really happy about the slow-regen thing. I always used to just wait till night and kill myself right outside of my home so that I could have full health before the nurse arrived.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2011

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'll have to wait and see. People complained when Terraria nerfed healing a bit but I think it made the game more fun and crafting more productive in the long run.
But honestly I only got into Minecraft recently and I haven't really had as much fun with it as I thought I would.

Neither game have I cared for making creations that much. It's basically making pixel art only pixels take agonizing hours to build. And Survival in Minecraft is kind of a passive, cautious experience - I suppose it's more aimed at the roguelikes crowd because I have never enjoyed being passive and cautious.
I thought that Redstone would make creating things more fun as I enjoyed The Incredible Machine as a kid and SpacheCham and Manufactoria as an adult, but I've found the system to be kind of obtuse and unhelpful.

So really, if the patch doesn't make things more fun I'll probably shrug and walk away until the next patch.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It seems like the obvious thing would be to add healing potions that work the same way that the old food did, with an instant heal. Just make the crafting mats a little bit more difficult to get than normal food. I'm guessing nothing like this is forthcoming, though?

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

BobTheJanitor posted:

It seems like the obvious thing would be to add healing potions that work the same way that the old food did, with an instant heal. Just make the crafting mats a little bit more difficult to get than normal food. I'm guessing nothing like this is forthcoming, though?

Perhaps glowstone dust would be a good ingredient to make such potions. It would provide an incentive to visit the nether, and it makes the potions sort of high-tier items.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

But I need all my glowstone dust to make glowstone...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vinigre posted:

Perhaps glowstone dust would be a good ingredient to make such potions. It would provide an incentive to visit the nether, and it makes the potions sort of high-tier items.

That would make immediate healing a non-renewable resource, which would be terrible.

If you wanted them to be tied to the Nether, maybe replace cooked porkchops as the default Zombie Pigman drop. Although persistent / non-respawning mobs might gently caress that one up, too...

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 9, 2011

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Okay, I have a question.

I've noticed several people in this thread talk about how they start a new world, play for a few hours and have a full set of diamond armor and tools (or close to it). I started a world two nights ago, spent six hours each evening playing, and FINALLY got a grand total of five diamonds and enough obsidian to get to the nether for the first time. I now have a couple stacks of glowstone and netherrack. I've owned this game for close to a year now.

How do you guys do it? In my game I just walled off the entrance to the cave I was working in, turned off monsters, and just mined constantly just to get to where I am, and that took twelve hours. I'm pretty sure I'm playing this game completely wrong.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Pucklynn posted:

Okay, I have a question.

I've noticed several people in this thread talk about how they start a new world, play for a few hours and have a full set of diamond armor and tools (or close to it). I started a world two nights ago, spent six hours each evening playing, and FINALLY got a grand total of five diamonds and enough obsidian to get to the nether for the first time. I now have a couple stacks of glowstone and netherrack. I've owned this game for close to a year now.

How do you guys do it? In my game I just walled off the entrance to the cave I was working in, turned off monsters, and just mined constantly just to get to where I am, and that took twelve hours. I'm pretty sure I'm playing this game completely wrong.

Dig down to around 14-20 blocks above bedrock and start stripmining.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I just witnessed a three-way fight between a zombie, a skeleton and a creeper. I was climbing out of an underground cave, when a skeleton arrow hit me and knocked me back, out of the way of the zombie's arms. The next arrow fired hit the zombie, who promptly turned on the skeleton.

Zombie hit the skeleton, who fired at it and missed. The arrow instead hit a creeper, which promptly ran over and detonated itself, killing all three of them. Cue me laughing myself silly before running over and harvesting the leftover dirt/stone/feathers. :D

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Had the skeleton killed the creeper, you'd have probably gotten a music disc.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Dig down to around 14-20 blocks above bedrock and start stripmining.

That's it? No wonder. I always follow the caves and explore. Maybe I'm not missing out so much after all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering how many new types of food have been added, I can't see running out of food ever being a problem. And in vanilla minecraft, you never see huge pockets of enemies unless you're really unlucky or near a spawner. So there will always be time to stop and heal. Forgetting to do so is your own fault.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

FirePhoenix posted:

Considering how many new types of food have been added, I can't see running out of food ever being a problem. And in vanilla minecraft, you never see huge pockets of enemies unless you're really unlucky or near a spawner. So there will always be time to stop and heal. Forgetting to do so is your own fault.

Forcing players to stay still to eat is unnecessarily punitive. There should be an option to turn this off. Also, mobs damaging you and not giving you a chance to heal is punitive. There should be an option that freezes all mobs for 60 second every time you take damage. If you somehow are killed by a mob, all your items will be teleported to your base and placed in a special chest that says "Sorry! Better luck next time, pal!" along with an option to instantly teleport back to the place where you died.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Wait wait I'm confused, they removed healing items from the game?? And replaced them with cancer???

Food items fill your "energy" bar. Energy is used implicitly in healing you and explicitly in actions like sprinting.

So no, you don't just slather a porkchop on ribcage anymore and magically heal anymore. They went for a somewhat more realistic survival mechanic.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Zorak posted:

Food items fill your "energy" bar. Energy is used implicitly in healing you and explicitly in actions like sprinting.

So no, you don't just slather a porkchop on ribcage anymore and magically heal anymore. They went for a somewhat more realistic survival mechanic.

So you'll heal over time at a speed relative to your energy bar? Like in MGS3.

That's... cool, I guess. Makes fights less dumb and more tense at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dush posted:

That's... cool, I guess. Makes fights less dumb and more tense at least.

Yeah, it doesn't make a big difference for people who generally don't get into big tussles too often, but it's a great change for people who enjoy the more dangerous side of adventuring.

It makes Survival mode reasonably more survival-y.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
I feel like some sort of twelve-toed freak for being unwaveringly excited about every change coming in 1.8. :(

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Sir Prancelot posted:

I feel like some sort of twelve-toed freak for being unwaveringly excited about every change coming in 1.8. :(

Nah I'm totally excited about them all too, I think people are making too big of a deal over the food thing. It neither makes nor breaks the game.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also, it's worth pointing out that 1.8 is probably going to be delayed again, what since there's a game-breaking bug still in that Jeb wasn't unable to fix before going home for the weekend.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SheepNameKiller posted:

Nah I'm totally excited about them all too, I think people are making too big of a deal over the food thing. It neither makes nor breaks the game.

If anything it cuts down on how much food needs to be carried. I ususally don't go adventuring without two food items in my hotbar and above them in my inventory from bottom to top. It eats up a lot of space and having a slowly draining hunger meter would be a godsend.

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.
I'm excited about them too, they all make the concept of survival more important in survival mode. This is also why i understand when i fall into lava and all my poo poo burns, its a survival game and i did something dumb. experience is the only one I'm not so interested in, because I really like how mine craft is just you and your tools and your creativity. I'm not going to get upset because we have no idea how it works, but I really don't want to have to level up my pickaxe skills just to mine some coal.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

kas posted:

Eating roots you in place and has an eating animation that's several seconds long.

It's 1.6 seconds according the minecraft forums, not 3-4.

And it's not a huge deal anyway, since food doesn't heal there's no reason to eat it mid-battle. And if you're spelunking, it'd make sense to stay full in case you did get into trouble.

Zorak posted:

Also, it's worth pointing out that 1.8 is probably going to be delayed again, what since there's a game-breaking bug still in that Jeb wasn't unable to fix before going home for the weekend.

Well, on the bright side, it seems like the days of signs and cacti corrupting save files are over.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

SheepNameKiller posted:

It doesn't make or break the game, but it really does hurt the flow. Before, it was a matter of 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, continue on'. Now, it's more like 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, wait for life to slowly fill up, continue on'. Sure it's more 'realistic' but it really feels like it just adds random downtime for no reason, more than actually improving gameplay. Things aren't any harder, you're just now babysitting two bars instead of one, and having to take big breaks between doing stuff each time you end up taking damage instead of just healing up and getting on with it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

kas posted:

It doesn't make or break the game, but it really does hurt the flow. Before, it was a matter of 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, continue on'. Now, it's more like 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, wait for life to slowly fill up, continue on'. Sure it's more 'realistic' but it really feels like it just adds random downtime for no reason, more than actually improving gameplay. Things aren't any harder, you're just now babysitting two bars instead of one, and having to take big breaks between doing stuff each time you end up taking damage instead of just healing up and getting on with it.
Well to be fair, before it was "get in a tussle, plonk down a crafting table, wrestle with your inventory to make a bunch of bread, unless you were silly and had a bunch of pork chops filling your inventory, and now you're out of pork chops already, or else you've been unable to gather loot for ages.... and continue on."

Stackable food will bring a lot more convenience than regenerating food will take away. I mean, encounters are rare enough that I'd probably not bother to rest before moving on, just assuming I wouldn't encounter anything before I'm full up again. Or else I'd do a bit of safe exploratory mining while I wait or something.

The only clear advantage this takes away is the silliness of eating a pork chop while in the middle of combat which I was never able to do anyway so I personally won't miss it.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

kas posted:

People already spend a lot of time at home. This way, along with sleeping to probably gain health, it gives them reasons to stay home and a point to venture out. Get into a fight almost die. Go home to your safe mansion, mine some, build some, wait for full health, and go back out. There's also the thing that the hunger bar and stackable food replaces the worry of wasting food and stuff. You get hurt, run away, hunger bar is going down, eat food. You should be more consistently at 100% health instead of worrying about healing 2 hearts, then falling and dying, or getting hit by something.

Quite frankly minecraft has been continuous downtime, sure you're free to do whatever, but most people usually derped around building poo poo. With the slight combat changes along with this, it just makes combat more challenging. You can not tell me combat was challenging at all. If the new system makes combat just annoying overall, hopefully they'll listen and put some balances.

I do agree there should be a high level instant heal item, or even an armor item that increases the healing rate by 50%. Also make fire not hurt as much, or at least have the hunger+heal make it keep you at the same heart level.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 9, 2011

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tracula posted:

Regardless, now I want someone to mod in an Enertron. Iron and Redstone. Functions as a bed+full heal.

...but you're still hungry.

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

kas posted:

It doesn't make or break the game, but it really does hurt the flow.

How do you know? you haven't played it yet.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Some guy apparently got a hold of the 1.8 pre-release and is streaming it. I'm pretty sure its legit and not just a clever mockup with mods or something, but I just wanted to add a disclaimer since I never heard anything about a leak. http://www.twitch.tv/unv_annihilator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mangrove

NPC Village (lacks NPCs), ravine