Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Looks like 1.9 is going to require new worlds over 1.8, since the world generation will apparently be changed enough to warrant it.

In more agreeable news, Jeb did say that animal farming/breeding is going to be in 1.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
Yeah 1.8 has been leaked on 4chan, I would link it here but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

(Also, I was beta tester for 1.8 but now that it has been leaked there is no point :( )

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Kuroshi posted:

Regardless, now I want someone to mod in an Enertron. Iron and Redstone. Functions as a bed+full heal.

...but you're still hungry.

Okay, I really want this now. Complete with that sad little stomach grumbling sound.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've seen the link to it myself (apparently it's hosted on minecraft.net on an unprotected link) but if it's still buggy like Jeb said I would think it's better to wait another few days. I've waited this long, anyway.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Vib Rib posted:

I've seen the link to it myself (apparently it's hosted on minecraft.net on an unprotected link) but if it's still buggy like Jeb said I would think it's better to wait another few days. I've waited this long, anyway.

Yep it's buggy as hell, like furnace crashing the game/server.

And until today strongholds/villages/models were not working either!

Not that it is bad coding, everything has bugs, and it's still an unfinished game so I'm not complainin' or anything.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

hogofwar posted:

Yeah 1.8 has been leaked on 4chan, I would link it here but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

(Also, I was beta tester for 1.8 but now that it has been leaked there is no point :( )
Aw, that's a shame. :( Here's hoping no fits are thrown about the leak.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Prancelot posted:

Aw, that's a shame. :( Here's hoping no fits are thrown about the leak.

From Notch's twitter:
"Ooh, looks like 1.8 has leaked, not that I'd ever admit that. ;) Be careful when installing software you don't trust though.
If you do use it, remember to report bugs, and to feel slightly bad. ;)"

The chest opening animation is everything I'd hoped it'd be. :allears:

Edit: And Just in case that wasn't clear enough.
"(I am fine with you using it. Make sure you get it from the leaked url we are hosting, though)"

wyoming fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seems to be intentional.

fakedit, EFB

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

EthanEde posted:

How do you know? you haven't played it yet.

:ssh: the ridiculous number of leaks of the build aside, there was also a pretty sizeable testing pool and I happen to be friends with quite a few people who were in the beta, and it was simple enough to pop in for a visit and try it out on their machines. Of course now, it's a non-issue seeing as apparently anyone can grab it online now and test themselves, and Notch doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I really wanted to give the hunger bar a fair shake, but it somehow ended up being even worse than I thought it would be going in - I assumed it'd at least refill a few hearts when eating and that you could still move while chomping down. :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Mojang are pretty cool dudes.

Seeing as how it was deliberately leaked, it's okay to leak it in here.

:siren: Minecraft 1.8 Pre-Release :siren:

Warning: Buggy, it's just a purposeful leak for the weekend.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zorak posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear the "leak" was anything but accidental. In which case, here are a couple of screenshots I just took.

The interesting thing about 1.8 is the size of biomes. They're much, much larger, with rolling hills and rivers cutting through them. Like other people have mentioned, the villages are ghost towns at the moment. I haven't found a single bed in any of the buildings, either.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Seems like an effective strategy. Game plays fine? Mojang is awesome for releasing the update slightly early. Totally bugged out? Well, not Mojang's fault, they were going to wait until next week to fix the bugs anyway, and it's your own drat fault for downloading a leaked version, you bad person you.

EDIT: I'm at work, so I can't check it, but can someone with the leaked version check out how the Gargamel seed looks? I'm just curious.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Zorak posted:

That's actually very kind of them :3: My Favorite Guys.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Things like this are why I like Mojang :).

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Looks like sugar cane grows on sand now too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear the "leak" was anything but accidental. In which case, here are a couple of screenshots I just took.

The interesting thing about 1.8 is the size of biomes. They're much, much larger, with rolling hills and rivers cutting through them. Like other people have mentioned, the villages are ghost towns at the moment. I haven't found a single bed in any of the buildings, either.

I kinda wish desert towns were made out of sandstone and dirt.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"FOV: Quake Pro" :allears:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Someone want to see how Armor is supposed to work? There doesn't appear to be an armor bar on the HUD anymore.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zorak posted:

Well drat, it crashes on launch for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shnakepup posted:

EDIT: I'm at work, so I can't check it, but can someone with the leaked version check out how the Gargamel seed looks? I'm just curious.

This was the first thing I did. It looks completely different, so all the old cool seeds are now useless.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

The new lighting engine is boss. I can tell it's sunset without looking directly at the sun!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Shnakepup posted:

Seems like an effective strategy. Game plays fine? Mojang is awesome for releasing the update slightly early. Totally bugged out? Well, not Mojang's fault, they were going to wait until next week to fix the bugs anyway, and it's your own drat fault for downloading a leaked version, you bad person you.

I'm sure Kas' inbox is already stuffed to the gills about Painterly not working.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Eonwe posted:

Well drat, it crashes on launch for me.

oh good. I was wondering "how do you run a .jar, do I need unix for this?" while trying to remember if minecraft is usually a .jar file
wait minecraft is usually an .exe how do you run a jar? do I need unix for this?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Prancelot posted:

I feel like some sort of twelve-toed freak for being unwaveringly excited about every change coming in 1.8. :(

Me too! I can't help but think 'it's all good, man' whenever I hear about what's coming down the pipes.

I mean jesus, it's just a game.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Krinkle posted:

oh good. I was wondering "how do you run a .jar, do I need unix for this?" while trying to remember if minecraft is usually a .jar file
wait minecraft is usually an .exe how do you run a jar? do I need unix for this?

Put the .jar in your bin folder in .minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Now that the leak's official, I might as well give it a shot. Been running around for a day or two and it's a blast. The improved worldgen/biomes are everything I hoped they would be. Plains feel like plains, swamps feel like swamps, mountains are awesome again and caves are suddenly incredible.

Krinkle posted:

Replace minecraft.jar in your %appdata%/.minecraft/bin folder with this new one, and run the launcher as normal, not the jar itself.

kas posted:

I really wanted to give the hunger bar a fair shake, but it somehow ended up being even worse than I thought it would be going in
I'm pleasantly surprised to find I disagree. Food seems to work really nicely for me. I don't know if the meter is capable of going over 100% and just not showing it, or if it 'lingers' on 100, but a full belly lasts for quite some time, and it's not hard at all to keep the hunger bar maxed, especially because for one thing, animals seem more plentiful, and for another, food appears to stack up to 64 now! I had assumed it would stack up to like 8 or something, like it did in the yogbox, but with cows everywhere dropping up to 3 beef apiece, it's hard to ever go hungry. I've never really needed to eat in the middle of combat yet but eating doesn't seem to take very long, maybe two seconds.

Also the endermen are cooler than I'd expected. No unique sounds yet (zombie noises), but they're actually kind of creepy and their teleporting so far has never come across as cheap. Also they have weird horrible gaping mouths which I never realized until now. :gonk:
Also they drop "Ender Pearls"?

All in all, even with XP doing nothing yet and villages being empty and so on, I feel this is a huge update. The improved biomes alone make the game actually feel like it's worth exploring again.
But these are just first impressions.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
So I was bunkering down for my first night, making some charcoal, when I noticed something incredible.

Lights flicker now :swoon:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
First night I head outside when it starts getting light out, I noticed some smoke coming from above my cliffwall hovel. Turns out it was an Enderman, dying in the morning light. :(

He dropped something called an Ender Pearl, not sure if it has a use or not though.

Also the food thing is such a non-issue.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm sure Kas' inbox is already stuffed to the gills about Painterly not working.

58 emails and counting. :)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love punching animals and have them freak out.

Did anyone complain about not enough sheep?

edit: Also I started in a tree this time! That has never happened before.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

kas posted:

Post the top three worst offenders? I am stuck at work and excited to try out the larger biome / pre1.8.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

wyoming posted:

First night I head outside when it starts getting light out, I noticed some smoke coming from above my cliffwall hovel. Turns out it was an Enderman, dying in the morning light. :(

He dropped something called an Ender Pearl, not sure if it has a use or not though.

Also the food thing is such a non-issue.

Has no use, it is a dud item like slimeballs used to be

Also, here's the info on strongholds: They only spawn once per world!

If you want to try a stronghold out, this is a world where I am currently in a stronghold: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/New%20World.rar

Also, silverfish.

Also, here's the link to the server: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft_server.jar

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It seems I consistently have that crash error Jeb was talking about when he was bug fixing or whatever. It crashes a lot due to overflow issues or whatever.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Swamps are awesome.

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 9, 2011

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

It seems I consistently have that crash error Jeb was talking about when he was bug fixing or whatever. It crashes a lot due to overflow issues or whatever.

I'm starting to see this as well. Java seems to start eating more and more memory. I restarted Minecraft when it went from 600MB to 1,200MB in a matter of 10 minutes. The game was chugging along although I have plenty more RAM available than that (8GB).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

hogofwar posted:

Also, here's the info on strongholds: They only spawn once per world!
Wait, seriously? Is this a bug or intentional, because that seems really limiting.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seeeecret friday update! :woop:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

kas posted:

Any estimate on the release to "FIX MY PANTERLY :mad:"?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Wait, seriously? Is this a bug or intentional, because that seems really limiting.

Intentional, at least in the code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Zorak posted:

Furnaces are instant crash generators for me. I haven't tried anything but food in them yet, but placing coal in them causes a crash (and eats all the coal I had on my cursor), and watching the fire meter run out with the furnace UI still open causes a crash.