Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
HBO unlike the major broadcast networks typically does just one season per calendar year (if that) and I can't really see the show lasting 7+ years. The first season was great but at the moment I'm not sure it will have Sopranos-like staying power. Rome and Deadwood were fantastic shows too and only had brief runs (although Rome and all its character arcs had pretty much run their course after two seasons; not sure what a third season would even be about).

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ross posted:

HBO unlike the major broadcast networks typically does just one season per calendar year (if that) and I can't really see the show lasting 7+ years. The first season was great but at the moment I'm not sure it will have Sopranos-like staying power. Rome and Deadwood were fantastic shows too and only had brief runs (although Rome and all its character arcs had pretty much run their course after two seasons; not sure what a third season would even be about).

Deadwood, however, was cut fairly hastily and left all its storylines hanging (almost sopranos-style) at the end of the third season.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bigmcgaffney posted:

The only things he like more than football is pizza and sweaty sex at conventions, while eating pizza.

Who on Earth would be desperate enough to have sex with gurm?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

Her name is Parris, they talked all night sweaty and naked, there was a true connection between that young stud full of untapped potential and that sultry seductress... If only he hadn't already been married.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mad Hamish posted:

Reportedly Ed Greenwood got propositioned for a threesome in front of his wife, I can see Gurm getting some as well.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Ross posted:

(although Rome and all its character arcs had pretty much run their course after two seasons; not sure what a third season would even be about).

Rome was supposed to be 5 seasons long. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. They crammed everything into the second season when they got told that would be it.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

Day Man posted:

He's killed so many characters that it's not even shocking anymore. It's just lovely. I went into this fully expecting Jon, Tyrion, or Arya to bite it, so Jon's death was just narrowing down the list of characters I care to read about.

Don't worry about this, Jon will be back. We've already seen a red priest bring someone back from the dead and Jon has Melisandre there who thinks she has some connection with him.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

DrSalt posted:

Don't worry about this, Jon will be back. We've already seen a red priest bring someone back from the dead and Jon has Melisandre there who thinks she has some connection with him.

I am pretty sure Jon was only killed by GRRM in order to release him from his Night's Watch vow so that he could be inserted back into the main action without becoming an oathbreaker. He will be brought back to life, but using fantasy legal reasoning, his vow is now null and void, since he served the Night's Watch until his death already.

Conveniently he now also fits into the Azor Ahai prophecy in a stretchy way as well.

My hope is that both Dany AND Jon are Azor Ahai together, because I thought having the Prince That Was Promised turn out to be a female character, or two characters was a kickass idea. But I am afraid now that Jon is Azor Ahai and Dany will die in order for Lightbringer (the dragons) to become his weapons. I know lots of people would cheer that now.

Dany has been the biggest disappointment and I hope that things take a turn again although I don't think her story can ever live up to what I had hoped it would be at this point. I found her storyline the most compelling. I loved her journey to learn how to be a queen and a conqueror as well as her evolution into a freer of slaves and champion of the smallfolk (beccause that is what Westeros needs more than anything) and then ... it just stalled right out and lost all momentum. It's really too bad because the contrast between this woman who was singlemindedly pursuing the goal of learning to rule a people effectively and how to be a good ruler was in such stark contrast to everyone bickering about having the most power and was probably a main factor in how much I loved this story.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

syndex posted:

Rome was supposed to be 5 seasons long. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. They crammed everything into the second season when they got told that would be it.

HBO/BBC are making a new mini-series right now on Robert Graves's I, Claudius and its sequel, which timeline-wise are essentially a Rome sequel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frantick posted:

I am pretty sure Jon was only killed by GRRM in order to release him from his Night's Watch vow so that he could be inserted back into the main action without becoming an oathbreaker. He will be brought back to life, but using fantasy legal reasoning, his vow is now null and void, since he served the Night's Watch until his death already.

Yeah, but that's retarded. Honour doesn't work with exploiting technicalities.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Frantick posted:

Conveniently he now also fits into the Azor Ahai prophecy in a stretchy way as well.

My hope is that both Dany AND Jon are Azor Ahai together, because I thought having the Prince That Was Promised turn out to be a female character, or two characters was a kickass idea. But I am afraid now that Jon is Azor Ahai and Dany will die in order for Lightbringer (the dragons) to become his weapons. I know lots of people would cheer that now.
They won't be Azor Ahai together, Jon will plunge Longclaw into Dany's heart in order to forge Lightbringer like from the original story. Then Dany will be brought back, and they will be king/queen of the wights in the far north, and Aegon will sit the iron throne.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

They won't be Azor Ahai together, Jon will plunge Longclaw into Dany's heart in order to forge Lightbringer like from the original story. Then Dany will be brought back, and they will be king/queen of the wights in the far north, and Aegon will sit the iron throne.

That wouldn't be so bad. Before Jon died I figured they were setting up Arya getting a contract to kill him. Maybe they will have her get a contract to kill Sansa now. v:confused:v

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Solice Kirsk posted:

That wouldn't be so bad. Before Jon died I figured they were setting up Arya getting a contract to kill him. Maybe they will have her get a contract to kill Sansa now. v:confused:v
This is one of those silly ideas like "Bran is really serving the evil gods" that really have no basis other than "It would be a horrible thing to happen to the characters and that's what Martin does".

Except he does it in a way that's organic and makes sense.

It wouldn't make much sense for the House of Black and White to send a Stark to kill a Stark, when they could send ANYBODY. Since they can imitate anybody, there's really no reason why it would even have to be Arya. Any Faceless Man could be recruited into the Night's Watch, or just steal the skin of a wildling, and kill Jon Snow. Same thing with Sansa. Steal the mule girl's face, ask Sansa to build a snow castle with you, then slip her a steel kiss. There's really no reason at all for Arya to get any sort of assignment like that. I think it's far more likely that she'll get the job of assassinating someone involved in the "dragon" part of the story, and that will drag her back into the main plot.

I woke up this morning with a brilliant idea that explains how Penny and Pretty the Pig actually fit in with GRRM's overall narrative and develops Tyrion's character in a specific way ... but I haven't written it yet. Something for you guys to look forward to when I have the time!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Quantify! posted:

This is one of those silly ideas like "Bran is really serving the evil gods" that really have no basis other than "It would be a horrible thing to happen to the characters and that's what Martin does".

Except he does it in a way that's organic and makes sense.

It wouldn't make much sense for the House of Black and White to send a Stark to kill a Stark, when they could send ANYBODY. Since they can imitate anybody, there's really no reason why it would even have to be Arya. Any Faceless Man could be recruited into the Night's Watch, or just steal the skin of a wildling, and kill Jon Snow. Same thing with Sansa. Steal the mule girl's face, ask Sansa to build a snow castle with you, then slip her a steel kiss. There's really no reason at all for Arya to get any sort of assignment like that. I think it's far more likely that she'll get the job of assassinating someone involved in the "dragon" part of the story, and that will drag her back into the main plot.

I woke up this morning with a brilliant idea that explains how Penny and Pretty the Pig actually fit in with GRRM's overall narrative and develops Tyrion's character in a specific way ... but I haven't written it yet. Something for you guys to look forward to when I have the time!

Yeah, I get that. But that wouldn't be as interesting. And authors of books typically try to be interesting. It could have been a way to shift her from a sympathetic character to an antagonist and totally gently caress with everyone. I think that would be pretty great since we've had antagonists become sympathetic. It'll never happen, but it could still be interesting.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I get that. But that wouldn't be as interesting.
Stuff doesn't sound as interesting when you just lay it out like that.

Tyrion's adventures in ADWD would sound ridiculous and stupid on paper, but I found it to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the book (I'm aware that opinions vary on this). Contrast it with Quentyn's adventures which you'd think would be awesome but were really quite lackluster.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

There is a whole scene with the Kindly Man asking the faceless men if they know the target, one said "i know him" and didn't take the job and another one said "I will give this man the gift, I know him not." And i am pretty sure the Kindly Man knows she is Arya Stark (i think it was in that AFFC chapter when she kill the deserter) so it would make no sense for them to send Arya after Sansa or Jon since they don't allow their assassins to murder someone they know.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 10, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Toplowtech posted:

There is a whole scene with the Kindly Man asking the faceless men if they know the target, one said "i know him" and didn't take the job and another one said "I will give this man the gift, I know him not." And i am pretty sure the Kindly Man knows she is Arya Stark (i think it was in that AFFC chapter when she kill the deserter) so it would make no sense for them to send Arya after Sansa or Jon since they don't allow their assassins to murder someone they know.
I don't remember this scene, drat I need to reread the book!

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
The only thing about that is Jaqen apparently had no qualms about offing his dad, so it might not apply in all circumstances. Or Jaqen just rolls differently to the rest.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Just finished ADWD and I have mixed feelings. Long, long sections of the book just felt like fairly boring plot advancement, but things that were just not interesting. I had totally lost interest in the Asha/Stannis/Bolton/Winterfell line by the end and when Jon got the message at the end, I didn't really care whether or not Roose had really won. Meeren was getting tedious as well and it just felt like he was stalling, unsure of how to move the dragons to Westeros. Most of the book was so free from MAJOR events that I felt sure the last hundred pages were going to be major characters dieing left and right, and I was right (and I'm fairly terrible at guessing things like that).

On the plus side, Varys continues to be awesome, like a bad rear end Ned Stark who values the ends more than the means (while Ned was all about the means) - they both want(ed) peace, stability for the small folk and a good king to sit on the throne, but Varys will cut throats and stab backs to see it done. The Victarion, Arya, Bran and Tyrion chapters were all interesting, and I like that GRRM has used Connington and Selmy to really flesh out a lot more of the backstory in the years leading up to Roberts Rebellion. Also, was that the first time we really get to see Selmy kick serious rear end with a sword? I know he uses a staff when hes Belwas's squire, but the series has had 5 books talking about how bad rear end Selmy is and it was nice to finally see him unleash his inner Ser Grandfatherly beating.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rome was extremely expensive, though not a total HBO production. I could see the expense of GOT dooming it even if it is popular.

That is really cool they are making an I, Claudius show. I hope it matches the realism and grittiness of Rome.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Didn't HBO say they were completely behind GoT? I can't see them cancelling it even if it's too expensive, it's already very very popular for a show in its first season and fills a niche that HBO hasn't touched before.

Not to mention them advertising the gently caress out of it.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Brannock posted:

Didn't HBO say they were completely behind GoT? I can't see them cancelling it even if it's too expensive, it's already very very popular for a show in its first season and fills a niche that HBO hasn't touched before.

Not to mention them advertising the gently caress out of it.
It's not like they're going to say "well this is a show, maybe watch it, we really don't care".

They'll cancel it if they feel like cancelling it because networks cancel stuff for weird reasons.

I can see it losing viewership anyway when the plot starts to go all over the place.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If HBO does keep the show going past Storm of Swords, I don't see them following Feast or Dance for the further seasons. I don't think there'd be a good season's worth of TV between the two of them.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Between the two of them I think they'd have a good season, though it would be setup-heavy. Two seasons of setup would be awful, though.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
On the other hand, two seasons of setup is one of the primary reasons why A Storm of Swords is so loving awesome. The foundations for the Red Wedding, for Littlefinger's 'only Cat', for the situation at the wall, for Tyrion killing Tywin, for Joffrey dying and for Dany becoming slave saviour queen girl are all laid in books 1 and 2, not in book 3. People seem to forget this when they read AFFC and ADWD - among other things they're also the setup for the second half of the series (ok ok, they might not be and you might just not like them, but we'll have to wait to know).

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 10, 2011

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

hampig posted:

On the other hand, two seasons of setup is one of the primary reasons why A Storm of Swords is so loving awesome. The foundations for the Red Wedding, for Littlefinger's 'only Cat', for the situation at the wall, for Tyrion killing Tywin, for Joffrey dying and for Dany becoming slave saviour queen girl are all laid in books 1 and 2, not in book 3. People seem to forget this when they read AFFC and ADWD - among other things they're also the setup for the second half of the series (ok ok, they might not be and you might just not like them, but we'll have to wait to know).

The problem for me is that the series is starting to feel like Lost all over again. All build up and no pay off. If the ending to this series is as bad as the ending of Lost, I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

Also, was that the first time we really get to see Selmy kick serious rear end with a sword? I know he uses a staff when hes Belwas's squire, but the series has had 5 books talking about how bad rear end Selmy is and it was nice to finally see him unleash his inner Ser Grandfatherly beating.

They mention off hand in the first or second book about how he guts a dozen soldiers on his way out of King's Landing, but I think that's about it.

Also his reminiscing about the various battles he's seen (eg, rescuing Aerys) were all sorts of awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Day Man posted:

The problem for me is that the series is starting to feel like Lost all over again. All build up and no pay off. If the ending to this series is as bad as the ending of Lost, I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

That would make GRRM the biggest hypocrite in the universe considering he absolutely loathes how LOST ended. I'm pretty sure this series will not end like that show.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm pretty sure this series will not end

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Proposition Joe posted:

I am glad you said that and not I.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
HBO also licensed GOT out to a bunch of other countries for a ton of money, and the budget isnt as out of control as other shows like Rome. We'll at least get through SOS.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

bigmcgaffney posted:

HBO also licensed GOT out to a bunch of other countries for a ton of money, and the budget isnt as out of control as other shows like Rome. We'll at least get through SOS.

When I know that ASOS is being filmed, I will have a flutter of triumph in my heart.
That will honestly be one of the most talked about seasons in the history of television.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Crustacean posted:

When I know that ASOS is being filmed, I will have a flutter of triumph in my heart.
That will honestly be one of the most talked about seasons in the history of television.

The producers said at a con that their goal from the start was to at least make it far enough to punch the entire viewership with what they non-spoileringly referred to as the 'RW'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 10, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Joffreys wedding will be really rewarding as well.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Jousting dwarfs, hell yeah!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Dany burning Astapor and the RW are two things I desperately want to see in live action. Oh yeah, and Joffrey's wedding too.

Also, reading the reactions in the TV IV thread :allears:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Raserys posted:

Yeah, that'll be fun. After the Red Wedding, the weekly thread is just going to have 500 pages of people going "What the gently caress? gently caress! WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST WATCH?!"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Raserys posted:

Dany burning Astapor and the RW are two things I desperately want to see in live action. Oh yeah, and Joffrey's wedding too.

"They killed his nigga Rob!"
"If they kill Jon too, i will stop watching!"
Don't spoil them, please.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
That reminds me, there's that cliffhanger chapter where you think the Hound has killed Arya. I hope to god they end an episode with that just so everyone watching the show flips out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quantify! posted:

That reminds me, there's that cliffhanger chapter where you think the Hound has killed Arya. I hope to god they end an episode with that just so everyone watching the show flips out.

They definitely will. The whole Red Wedding is so huge and momentous that nothing could follow it in the same episode.

When I was reading the series for the first time, my little brother had already read it and asked how far I was. I told him I was somewhere around page 500, and he thought for a second and said that something awesome happens around page 750. I got to page 700, where Robb gets shot with the crossbow, and had to go back and reread it to make sure I hadn't misread it. After I finished reading the whole sequence, I had to put down the book for a while, so I went over to my brother, who laughed hysterically at the look on my face.