Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

teamgod posted:

I'm not a student, however my wife will be next month when she starts classes. What sort of info do I need to get student discounts? Institute name and student ID? She probably has a student ID already, now that I think about it.

Edit: looks like I'm good to go with this actually as she already has her official documents, just no valid photo student ID yet. We can simply use another photo ID and a photocopy of her document. I guess my next question is what is the difference between the full version and the student version?

Close to none.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There is no student version, only student pricing

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Anyone have experience using Aperture on one of the new MacBook Airs?

I've got an 11" (mac air...) and, while I use LR and PS CS5, I did give aperture a trial to see if I liked it. It ran smooth as hell for cataloguing and processing raws - I think I had a catalogue of about 4200ish raw files, and a couple hundred jpegs.

Just didnt like it enough to learn a new package.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Paintshop Photo Pro X3 is the Amazon gold box deal today. Is this worth looking at if I already have Lightroom 3?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Syrinxx posted:

Paintshop Photo Pro X3 is the Amazon gold box deal today. Is this worth looking at if I already have Lightroom 3?

Eh. PSP is really good, and is a knock off of PS, but if LR does what you need, don't bother.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Never used their photo software, but I started out using Paint Shop Pro back in the late late 90's when they used to be great. Jasc was bought out by Corel a few years back and since then everything went to poo poo. Stick with with Lightroom.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't know much about PSP and I don't know anyone who uses it now a days. To be honest, I find that I can do almost everything I need in Aperture with the Nik Complete collection. The same would hold true if I were a LR user.

The main things I use PS for are stitching, content aware fill, and once in awhile digital composting (ie. dropping a sky from one photo to another). On rare occasions I'll do some light graphic design work, but it's not my forte. Considering my uses, there is no reason I couldn't get by with Photoshop Elements. I don't know what the cost is on windows, but on the Mac app store it's only $80. If you ever decide that you've outgrown elements, it should qualify you for upgrade pricing on Photoshop CS5. Upgrade pricing from elements means $100 off the list price.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

There is no student version, only student pricing
I'm pretty sure the student pricing license agreement says you can only install it on one computer, but there are no limitations on features, commercial use, etc.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
There is a massive price difference between Photoshop CS and Elements. What is different about them that would apply to post-processing for the average photographer? It looks like Elements covers just about all the things CS can do.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Lamb of Gun posted:

There is a massive price difference between Photoshop CS and Elements. What is different about them that would apply to post-processing for the average photographer? It looks like Elements covers just about all the things CS can do.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Lightroom over Photoshop these days.

Elements isn't that bad. I've used it, and most of the basic stuff you want to do in PS, you can do in Elements. I don't recall the specifics but I'm sure some quick googling will tell you. Lightroom, however, now lets you do just about everything that Photoshop does. Each tool has it's uses, but Lightroom just fits my workflow so much better.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lamb of Gun posted:

The difference is that every time you try to google up how to do something with Elements you will only find articles about how it's easy to do in CS but how you have to do an elaborate work around to do it in Elements.

And the described work around will be for a version of elements that is older than what you have and the UI will be completely different (or it'll be for the mac/pc version - whichever one you don't have).

:colbert:

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
I understand. I do use Lightroom 90% of the time, but occasionally I need to do some other work like highpass filters, layers, unsharp mask, etc.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lamb of Gun posted:

I understand. I do use Lightroom 90% of the time, but occasionally I need to do some other work like highpass filters, layers, unsharp mask, etc.

If I were you, I'd get a free 30 day trial of elements and see if it can do everything you need. After that get a CS5 trial and see if there is anything missing that you need.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Haggins posted:

You'll get a better answer if you ask in the SHSC Mac Hardware thread

Well, ended up with a 27" iMac, 3.1 GHz i5, 6970M graphics card, 12 gig ram, and it is AWESOME.

Lightroom sure runs better now. :D

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, ended up with a 27" iMac, 3.1 GHz i5, 6970M graphics card, 12 gig ram, and it is AWESOME.

Lightroom sure runs better now. :D

Very nice. That's what I'm planning on getting to replace my aging MBP. Just need a job first or some serious gigs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Did you get a SSD?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you get a SSD?

No, because Apple charges some obscene prices here for their 256 gig SSD. I figured I would hook one or several up via Thunderbolt later; should be no performance penalty there.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
So I'm about to buy a tripod to take with me on my travels, and I plan to bracket most of my landscape shots, but something is confusing me: if I take 3 exposures of a shot, but something in the shot has moved somewhat, how do you combine the exposures even though the moving object will be in a different place in every shot (even if just a little off)? It seems like everyone does this, whether it's to get a properly exposed sky, or for cityscapes, etc but I can't see how (I suck at PP). Especially in a cityscape where people or cars are moving, how do you take/combine exposures for that? I have CS5 and I know about the Automate-->photomerge, and I also have Photomatix, but neither seem to do well with multiple exposures with any movement as far as I've tinkered around with it.

:confused:

Tyorik fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 14, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Tyorik posted:

So I'm about to buy a tripod to take with me on my travels, and I plan to bracket most of my landscape shots, but something is confusing me: if I take 3 exposures of a shot, but something in the shot has moved somewhat, how do you combine the exposures even though the moving object will be in a different place in every shot (even if just a little off)? It seems like everyone does this, whether it's to get a properly exposed sky, or for cityscapes, etc but I can't see how (I suck at PP). Especially in a cityscape where people or cars are moving, how do you take/combine exposures for that? I have CS5 and I know about the Automate-->photomerge, and I also have Photomatix, but neither seem to do well with multiple exposures with any movement as far as I've tinkered around with it.

:confused:

You can only really fix very slight movements, like say the rustling of the tree leaves from a light breeze. This is called "ghosting". I don't really use Photoshop for HDR because it sucks, but I know HDR Efex Pro will fix the problem to a degree. I'm assuming Photomatix has a similar function. The best thing to do is to start off with the fastest shutter speed you can manage, use your in camera bracketing mode, and set your drive mode to high speed continuous shooting. That way you can just hold down the shutter and have the camera pop off 3 shots in a split second (I shoot Canon so the max I can bracket is 3 shots). That will greatly reduce the ghosting problems in your images. With some practice, it's possible to pull off HDR images without a tripod.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

No, because Apple charges some obscene prices here for their 256 gig SSD. I figured I would hook one or several up via Thunderbolt later; should be no performance penalty there.
Oh yeah definitely aftermarket is the way to go.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haggins posted:

(I shoot Canon so the max I can bracket is 3 shots).
This is oddly one of the areas where Olympus may be slightly superior to Canon and Nikon. Lots of bracketing options, and you can even do in-camera exposure blending/multiple exposures like with film.

I also use the Nik Software stuff...

Both hand-held:

Graffiti by markosaar, on Flickr

HDR Experiment (presets) by markosaar, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I got some Lightroom questions:

Currently all my photos are in one big catalogue, that sits on an SSD. But I'm running out of room and would like to move the older photos + edit history onto an HDD.

What's the best way to do this?

Essentially I need to split my catalogues. The primary will be photos taken in the last couple months or so, the secondary will be everything older than that. Is it as simple as selecting the folders I want and creating a new catalogue, moving that to the HDD, then removing those folders from the current catalogue?

I'd still like those accessable but not necessarily loaded at startup, is there a way to tell Lightroom to only open a catalogue when I ask it to?

Second question:

With some lenses, Lightroom will apply the proper correction, but with others it doesn't. For example, anything shot with my 70-200 will apply the proper correction as soon as I check "Enable Profile Corrections". But if I try this with a photo shot with my 100L, I have to enable corrections, then select Canon, and it then automatically applies the wrong 100mm f/2.8 (I want the f/2.8L IS). Is there anyway to correct this?

I'm using Lightroom 3.4.1 with Camera Raw 6.4.1 on Windows, if that matters.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
I shot this photo last night and it's just...ugly. It was such low lighting and I didn't have a flash, and no matter what I do to it it just doesn't seem...right. I don't want to resort to throwing actions at it or turning it black and white, so I came here for help. Who's got ideas?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Did you use any lens correction on it? It seems a little distorted but it might be the angle, you could try some lens/perspective correction on it. As far as actions/B&W you could try some PS actions and just tone em down a bit, any actions I use I'm always toning them down & modifying them a bit.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.

RizieN posted:

Did you use any lens correction on it? It seems a little distorted but it might be the angle, you could try some lens/perspective correction on it. As far as actions/B&W you could try some PS actions and just tone em down a bit, any actions I use I'm always toning them down & modifying them a bit.

This one is without lens correction, though if I go with the photograph I'll probably use it. In hindsight I would have shot it earlier without the guests in the mirror.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Tamgerine posted:

I shot this photo last night and it's just...ugly. It was such low lighting and I didn't have a flash, and no matter what I do to it it just doesn't seem...right. I don't want to resort to throwing actions at it or turning it black and white, so I came here for help. Who's got ideas?

I think my major issue is that the bright candelabra and the cake vie for my attention. I'm unsure how you'd achieve it but you need to make the cake more prominent in the shot. I'd probably start by brightening the cake up a little.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Holy poo poo, emergency. My Luminal Noise Reduction changes are not showing up on the main display in Lightroom 3.0 anymore.

All of the other settings change the picture, but not the NR. I can see the changes in the detail box above it, as well as the tiny preview box way up in the upper left. But the main picture doesn't change.

Any idea what's happened? I probably fat fingered something, but I can't see anything that could make that happen.

If I double click the tiny pic in upper left to "zoom in" the noise reduction kicks in, but when I zoom out, it goes away.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does it apply the NR when you export?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Saint Fu posted:

Does it apply the NR when you export?

Yes it does.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Color Efex Pro 4 announced

quote:

Key new features:

NEW: Filter Combinations—Add multiple filters at once, adjust opacity, and make selective adjustments to get the desired look
NEW: Brand New Filters—Detail Extractor, Dark Contrast, Vintage Film Efex, Natural Image Borders, and much more
NEW: Visual Presets—Each filter contains single-click starting points making it possible to explore creative options quickly
NEW: Style Recipes—Customize and share filter combinations with others, using recipes
NEW: History Browser— Facilitates intuitive comparison of previous edits and different looks
NEW: GPU Processing and Multi-Core Optimization—GPU Processing takes full advantage of the processors found on advanced display adapters providing even faster performance
NEW: Interface, Interaction, and Workflow—Benefit from interface and interaction improvements to filters, zoom controls, shortcut keys, and much more

Being able to stack filters is huge.

More information and videos and the like here:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11090809ColorEfexPro4.asp

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Color Efex Pro 4 announced
Being able to stack filters is huge.

Awesome, that's one feature I really wanted. I'd preorder it right now if I had the money.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

History browser is a nice-to-have for sure. I guess after buying the collection before, I have to upgrade them piecemeal now if I see something I need. I missed the free upgrade by about a month, poop.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

History browser is a nice-to-have for sure. I guess after buying the collection before, I have to upgrade them piecemeal now if I see something I need. I missed the free upgrade by about a month, poop.

Yeah you do. There are some coupons floating around if you do some googling. You might be able to find a 20 or 25% off and knock the price down to $75-80. I did that when I upgraded SilverEfx.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Has anyone ever given lightroom a gigantic processing job? I have about 404gbs of photos mostly in cr2 that I'd like to compress into smallish jpgs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't done anything quite that big, but I don't see why it would have any problem with it. It's pretty fast when it's just spitting out JPEGs.

Irfanview should be able to do it too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ease posted:

Has anyone ever given lightroom a gigantic processing job? I have about 404gbs of photos mostly in cr2 that I'd like to compress into smallish jpgs.
I've done 40GB that way no problem. Took a few hours.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ease posted:

Worked fine for pretty big jobs I did in the past. Just give it a try.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm really terrible at photoshop. I figured with practice I'd get better, but I'm still awful at cloning/healing, and I'd really like to get better at it. Just from searching for tutorials, all I can find are really basic ones that show you how to use it in really generic situations. Anyone know of more detailed ones that have some tips/tricks and are more advanced for cloning out a major object with a busy background? I feel like there is a whole world of awesome available to me that I can't quite get at.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm really terrible at photoshop. I figured with practice I'd get better, but I'm still awful at cloning/healing, and I'd really like to get better at it. Just from searching for tutorials, all I can find are really basic ones that show you how to use it in really generic situations. Anyone know of more detailed ones that have some tips/tricks and are more advanced for cloning out a major object with a busy background? I feel like there is a whole world of awesome available to me that I can't quite get at.

Get a graphics tablet if you don't have one already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Get a graphics tablet if you don't have one already.

Problem is I'm currently just into photography as a hobby and to be honest, I'm working off an old laptop with a 17" screen, so if I had money to burn, I'd probably invest in a much nicer workstation. I was hoping there'd be a solution that just requires me to learn/practice more, rather than buy new stuff.

Something to add to the Christmas list though. Any one in particular you would recommend?

• Locked thread