Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Actually, I finally got it working... two things were needed:

1) airplane mode OFF (can turn back on after GPS lock)
2) wifi location OFF (ironically)

After that, 9 satellite lock :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Airvana airave is a piece of poo poo. I have to reset mine every week or 2 or it will stop letting in coming calls and txt in.

I'm not sure which one I have, but I got it a few months ago and it supports 3G. I had a bitch of a time getting it set up but since then it's been rock solid for me.

Duckman2008 posted:

Ha I am currently unemployed since I am moving to philly tomorrow and my job in Nashville doesn't have stores there. I have a potential phone interview tomorrow and a backup indirect sprint interview next week. Fingers crossed.

I guess I'll be able to buy you a drink in exchange for all my annoying questions about my upgrade eligibility. :)

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 9, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good news ota 2.3.3 shift users! The phone is now downgradable back to 2.2 which will allow you to get s-off and flash again!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheBlackMallard posted:

I'm pretty sure GPS doesn't work without data.
The Epic, and any other gpsOne-based implementation needs a data connection to download the Xtra (ephemeris) data to get sub 30s locks. This can usually be done by rebooting an Epic with WiFi on. If for some reason the automatic download doesn't work, doing an "Update AGPS" from GPS Test's settings menu will do it manually. This data is valid for a week, although it seems that at least some Epics require a more frequent refresh (once every few days?). Otherwise, most GPSes can get a lock on almanac data alone, but it takes at least 30-60s in outdoors, clear skies, and sometimes longer.

Eyecannon posted:

Actually, I finally got it working... two things were needed:
Hmm, wasn't aware of the Airplane Mode requirement. It makes sense though since the Epic's GPS is actually controlled by the baseband with data shoved through the RIL. With the RIL disabled in Airplane Mode, that part won't work.

I'd guess the WiFi location issue was a matter of Google caching a stale/wrong WiFi AP location and not giving it up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello, I have an Evo 4g, and I was wondering: is there a way to send texts that have bolded,italicized and/or underlined text formatting?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

The airrvana is made by Samsung, who of course always outputs the best hardware (sarcasm).

The old Airaves were Samsung, and rock-loving-solid. The new ones are made by Airvana and pieces of poo poo. I don't even use mine, it causes more problems than it helps. loving frustrating.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Hello, I have an Evo 4g, and I was wondering: is there a way to send texts that have bolded,italicized and/or underlined text formatting?

I don't know, but thanks for using the tags there since I didn't know what those words meant.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

diospadre posted:

I don't know, but thanks for using the tags there since I didn't know what those words meant.

:(

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
That white Evo 3D came out today at Radio Shack. My brother wants to go pick one up, and I think I'm going to be jealous...This thing looks much better than my black one (unless I can find one of those sick gold trim back covers):

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, some of my customers love it and I never hear them complain again. Some say it has problems sometimes and some hate it and claim it doesn't help at all. I would bet it depends on signal in the area, internet speed and luck.

The airrvana is made by Samsung, who of course always outputs the best hardware (sarcasm).

On another note,I am moving out today, but sprint signal is seemingly weaker at my apartment. I used to get 2 bars and inside 4g. Now its hard to get 4g outside and its 0-1 bar inside. 3g speeds are still fine, and I very rarely drop a call, just weird that 4g took a step back.

Anyone been having dropped calls with sprint? I rarely drop calls in nashville, but have had a few (not frequent) lately around the city.

See if you can get someone to check the Network Event Board or Service Trender for you. It could be a cell site or handset issue. I took a half-day at work otherwise I would. :( If you're still having these issues on Monday let me know. I can't really assist IL customers but there's no reason why I can't check those two systems quick.

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.
I'm going to be getting the SII when it comes out next week and will be a new Sprint customer. I'm currently on AT&T (off-contract, yay) . I had a few questions if anyone can help.

1) I need to get the family plan, so using EPRP it would be $110 + $10 for the SII. The additional line can be a non-smartphone for now as my wife mainly uses her work iPhone for most things; however, we still keep the other phone she has for family calls/texting, etc. When I sign with Sprint, I'll get a decent free phone so she can continue to do this. My questions is, if she ever leaves that job, would we be able to get her a new phone (iPhone 5, probably) at the subsidized rate in some way or are we screwed since she'll already have a phone? (edit: if this happens before whatever phone upgrade rules Sprint uses, that is)

2) We live in Boston, but our numbers are from NJ. When I moved from Verizon to AT&T (living in Boston at the time), they were able to port our numbers without issue. I swear I read somewhere that if we don't live in the area, that it can't be done (contrary to what the AT&T guy did for us). Am I worrying for nothing?

3) I see that WireFly is doing the SII for $150 pre-order right now, but I don't think there's any way to get the EPRP discount without going directly through Sprint.com. I'm assuming this is the same for BestBuy or Amazon Wireless? If that's the case, going directly through Sprint would be worth it in the end. (edit: from what I've read, it doesn't seem like that it's possible and I should just go through sprint.com)

TIA

Xtopher fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xtopher posted:

I'm going to be getting the SII when it comes out next week and will be a new Sprint customer.
Please beware that nearly every past US Samsung Android device, particularly ones on Sprint, have ended up being poo poo. Or at least fraught with problems that Samsung doesn't address, that cause their owners extreme aggrevation. Although the international GSM/UMTS SGSII has been well received, it's not clear that the Sprint version is free from the issues that plagued their past devices.

Not that I'm saying "don't get the SGSII," but please do be aware of their history here and factor that in accordingly with your purchase decision.

Xtopher posted:

My questions is, if she ever leaves that job, would we be able to get her a new phone (iPhone 5, probably) at the subsidized rate in some way or are we screwed since she'll already have a phone?
You can save the subsidy on her line by purchasing a used phone and activating that in its place. The problem is, if you order the EPRP family plan online, you might be forced into getting a phone with both lines. I don't know if that's avoidable by calling the EPRP sales number for the initial order.

The easiest thing to do to straighten out that situation is probably to order an EPRP individual plan with the SGSII (or whatever) online first. Once you get the phone and have it activated, call the EPRP sales number and say you want to bump up to the family plan and add a line with an existing device. Or do that at a corporate store.

Also, remember there's a $125 port credit if you activate a new line and smartphone with Sprint prior to 10/1. There's a $50 credit for dumbphones, although I don't know if either counts for used devices. So while you could probably get the port credit for yourself, you might not be able to for her line if you wait to pick up a subsidized iPhone 5.

Xtopher posted:

2) We live in Boston, but our numbers are from NJ. ... Am I worrying for nothing?
Shouldn't be an issue.

Xtopher posted:

3) I see that WireFly is doing the SII for $150 pre-order right now, but I don't think there's any way to get the EPRP discount without going directly through Sprint.com.
Right, EPRP isn't eligible for third-party equipment purchase or discounts.

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.
Yeah, I realize I'm taking a stupid, unnecessary risk in hopes that this phone is the answer to all my dreams. It can't possibly be worse than my LG Xenon that I'm currently using though. Thanks for the info.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Never had any problems with my Samsung Epic 4G. Then again, I did live on the xda forums and flashed kernels and ROMs left and right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Bananana posted:

The only way I've seen is with MMS messages.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
I am thinking of switching to sprint from AT&T. I am still under contract with them so I was hoping to get that port credit. The thing is, I might want the iPhone 5. What do you guys think my chances are of buying an SII on like 9/30, and exchanging it for the iPhone in October?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I was in a Sprint store today for repair service, and I overheard the salespeople say Sprint was doing away with the 30 day money-back guarantee. Following Verizon's lead, it'll now be 15 day return/cancellation period and prorated charges for the length of service you use.

I really hope Sprint and the DOJ are successful in blocking the T-Mobile merger. gently caress the duopoly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm not sure which one I have, but I got it a few months ago and it supports 3G. I had a bitch of a time getting it set up but since then it's been rock solid for me.

I guess I'll be able to buy you a drink in exchange for all my annoying questions about my upgrade eligibility. :)

I will take that drink in exchange for wireless needs. Give me a few weeks to move in, but pm me your contact info.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

daishan14 posted:

I am thinking of switching to sprint from AT&T. I am still under contract with them so I was hoping to get that port credit. The thing is, I might want the iPhone 5. What do you guys think my chances are of buying an SII on like 9/30, and exchanging it for the iPhone in October?

Probably good but why risk it? It's just a couple of weeks.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Yep.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

What are they blacking out?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The possibility to take those days off.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Sucks for them but good for me I guess.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

diospadre posted:

Probably good but why risk it? It's just a couple of weeks.

After 10/1 the port in credit goes away, and that means I would miss out on $250.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch-pre-orders-at-walmart-for-only-99-09178609/

Scanned this thread didn't see anything about this... Pre-Order with a new contract and get the GS2 for $99.

I've got a corporate discount that would give me $150 towards a new phone once I sign a 2 year contract, would Walmart be able to honor that (and give me the phone for free) or would that most likely only happen at Sprint stores?

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 10, 2011

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

goku chewbacca posted:

I was in a Sprint store today for repair service, and I overheard the salespeople say Sprint was doing away with the 30 day money-back guarantee. Following Verizon's lead, it'll now be 15 day return/cancellation period and prorated charges for the length of service you use.

I really hope Sprint and the DOJ are successful in blocking the T-Mobile merger. gently caress the duopoly.

What the hell? So getting to carry the iphone has made them get rid of almost every advantage over other carriers? No more yearly upgrades, return period is now 15 instead of 30 days, and the ETF is raised to match the other carriers.

drat you apple!

I just thought of something interesting. If the new iphone has GSM and CDMA dual radios going on,what's to stop you from signing up for an iphone 5 on one carrier and then using that on another?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 10, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

zer0spunk posted:

I just thought of something interesting. If the new iphone has GSM and CDMA dual radios going on,what's to stop you from signing up for an iphone 5 on one carrier and then using that on another?

I'm sure they'll still be SIM locked, but obviously you can unlock it.

I'm actually hoping that NOTHING will keep you from moving between carriers...Apple is in a great position to remove some of the control that US carriers have had forever. An iPhone that is truly a world phone would be a powerful tool to do just that.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

From a phone manufacturer's perspective, why would you not rather just make one product for all the carriers? It has to be cheaper due to economies of scale, but maybe the carriers offset those gains by paying more so that they won't have to compete in terms of having a better network or contract?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

ratbert90 posted:

Good news ota 2.3.3 shift users! The phone is now downgradable back to 2.2 which will allow you to get s-off and flash again!

My god this is a complex procedure. :ohdear:

edit: Complete. I'm running on 2.2 again! Now I'm trying to install CM and for some reason my android SDK didn't come with fastboot. :confused: :downs:

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 10, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

What the hell? So getting to carry the iphone has made them get rid of almost every advantage over other carriers? No more yearly upgrades, return period is now 15 instead of 30 days, and the ETF is raised to match the other carriers.

drat you apple!

You can't keep a low ETF and sell the iPhone on a new carrier if they want people to buy them at reasonable prices, it just won't work out.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ddogflex posted:

The old Airaves were Samsung, and rock-loving-solid. The new ones are made by Airvana and pieces of poo poo. I don't even use mine, it causes more problems than it helps. loving frustrating.
Yeah, I hate mine, all kinds of issues and apparently Sprint knows about them but can't seem to get them fixed.

manwithoutskin posted:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch-pre-orders-at-walmart-for-only-99-09178609/

Scanned this thread didn't see anything about this... Pre-Order with a new contract and get the GS2 for $99.

I've got a corporate discount that would give me $150 towards a new phone once I sign a 2 year contract, would Walmart be able to honor that (and give me the phone for free) or would that most likely only happen at Sprint stores?
The $150 thing just means you'll get the phone at Sprint's new customer price and not $150 off the advertised price of the phone. Also the price that Walmart is offering is only for new customers.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

datajosh posted:

The $150 thing just means you'll get the phone at Sprint's new customer price and not $150 off the advertised price of the phone. Also the price that Walmart is offering is only for new customers.

Is it? I got my Optimus S for less than a buck on-contract there, and it wasn't a new customer contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

Sucks for them but good for me I guess.

If you work retail taking days off between Oct-Jan 1st in general is a no no.

zer0spunk posted:

drat you apple!

iPhone is raising rates. Called it.

Honestly, its probably more just Sprint is losing money.

Matlock posted:

Is it? I got my Optimus S for less than a buck on-contract there, and it wasn't a new customer contract.

Varies phone to phone, the Optimus S is older hardware so Wal-Mart probably would discount regardless of new vs upgrade. But in general, the whole concept Wal-mart, Wirefly, Amazon, best buy etc present is that when you sell a phone, you get commission based off of whether it is a new customer or an upgrade customer. And since a new account is brand spanking new monthly revenue, all carriers pay more for it. So big box passes that "larger commission" onto the customer. I believe Indirect Sprint Exclusive (where I worked) makes 3-4 times as much on a new activation than an upgrade. Upgrades are nice, but not near as nice as new. As a sales rep I certainly made more money on a new activation.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

While I'm thinking of it, my phone's battery life has died off severely and likes to overheat frequently lately. I barely get 5 hours with very little use now.

I don't have TEP, it's still under warranty.

What's my options?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Matlock posted:

While I'm thinking of it, my phone's battery life has died off severely and likes to overheat frequently lately. I barely get 5 hours with very little use now.

What's my options?
Buy a new OEM battery. They're not covered by ESRP.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

iPhone is raising rates. Called it.

Honestly, its probably more just Sprint is losing money.

I think you posted under the wrong account, XDA is this way.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Matlock posted:

What's my options?
It sounds like you have a rogue process gone wild and eating all your CPU and battery. You need to track it down and/or do a hard reset to see if that makes the problem go away. If that doesn't fix it, then yeah, look into a warranty replacement.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

td4guy posted:

It sounds like you have a rogue process gone wild and eating all your CPU and battery. You need to track it down and/or do a hard reset to see if that makes the problem go away. If that doesn't fix it, then yeah, look into a warranty replacement.

I'd assume it's that, figure I'll do a hard reset tonight. The OEM battery got to the point where it maybe got 45 minutes charge after about 6 months of owning the phone, a couple months later the Seidio replacement is dying quickly too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

I think you posted under the wrong account, XDA is this way.

10-4, apologies for crappy posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Cyanogenmod 7 alpha for Evo 3D just dropped.

quote:

KNOWN ISSUES:
- bluetooth borked for now
- nextflix has a security issue
- wimax broken for now
- keyboard all massive. i use Gingerbread keyboard from the market
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down