Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Game Overman
May 23, 2004
under the radar
Anyone looking for another island survival seed, try Phaeton. Lots of ocean and nothing. (but survivable, I subsisted on zombie flesh before I hit the jackpot)

Need wood? Swim to x:-550 for The Tree.

Starving? Explore the bigger island east of The Tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Seed: "nigga, i poo poo trains!" (1441765607)

Great starting position near huge arches, canyons, and lakes. Took some screens and a partial map preview, but they really don't do it justice.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So any comment on how armor works? I had asked when people first found the approved leak but I haven't seen an answer.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Ok, quick question: Which direction is east for you guys. I've been just using Up Down Left and Right for minecraft maps, which up is always towards sunrise.

Day 1 (1662097789)
Currently spending a night in a little dirt hut I made on the island. Coal has yet to be found. Found 1 iron, but it's not enough. Found some seeds in the tall grass, perhaps something edible.

Day 2
After 'night' I emerge to a glorious sunset and surveyed the land for anything new. To my surprise 4 of the saplings I planted turned into trees.

How long was I out?

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 10, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god you can put pressure plates on top of fence posts to make tables now oh my god

They don't clicky if you jump on them either.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 10, 2011

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Shift + click crafting puts items straight into empty inventory spaces :aaaaa:

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Gorfob posted:

Shift + click crafting puts items straight into empty inventory spaces :aaaaa:

This was before 1.8. I'd just found it out the other day, myself. Bricks were shat.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Krinkle posted:

SA shits itself today when I try to send personal messages, but how did you do this? was the server leaked too? the server file I ran still tried to run 1.7x even though I put the minecraft.jar into .minecraft/bin/

The server was leaked.

I'm wondering more how people are connecting to SMP servers; I thought you could only connect offline to this version, which would prevent you to playing on SMP, no?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

So any comment on how armor works? I had asked when people first found the approved leak but I haven't seen an answer.

Armor works exactly the same as it always did. The armor bar pops up above the health bar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, villages make First Night and beyond so much easier if you can find one. Torches, prebuilt buildings with doors, lots of wheat... even lava and furnaces.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Surviving the first night hasn't been hard since beds and charcoal.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Anyone have a clue what the world type thing means? It is in the world creation screen

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Heres some stuff that got built and destroyed on that goonimati 1.8 test server.

Yes it was full of TNT, and when someone blew it up I couldnt log back on .

An amazing ravine, big enough to build a city in. I love this new lighting.

A picture of the town, thats my rainbow house!

The silverfish attack!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Either DoctorWho is just a cool seed, or they really loving did an awesome job on updates to world gen, this poo poo is amazing and fun.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fondue posted:

Okay, I've got a SMP 1.8 server running on goonimati.com:30000 if anyone wants to fart around. I have PvP enabled and pretty much everything else but flying.

this has been a blast tonight. being able to toggle between creative and struggle is great

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Something I've learned about AND gates: if the redstone of the two inputs that feed to the raised torches are at a bend, they don't work. Fascinating!

Also an enormous pain in the dick. Thank god this map is gonna be worth it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

crazylakerfan posted:

Anyone have a clue what the world type thing means? It is in the world creation screen

Back in the Indev days, you could choose world types.
Normal, Hell (a lot like the Nether is today, I suppose), Paradise (always day), and Forest (foggy, dark, mobs about, kind of what rain does these days)
And then you could choose a normal map (square with invisible walls), islands (smaller but the the better looking option), and floating islands (fun but dangerous).

Maybe Notch is bringing something like this back, he was working on floating islands again at one point.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Running and jump attacking cows might be my new favorite thing in the world. They explode into meat!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wyoming posted:

Back in the Indev days, you could choose world types.
Normal, Hell (a lot like the Nether is today, I suppose), Paradise (always day), and Forest (foggy, dark, mobs about, kind of what rain does these days)
And then you could choose a normal map (square with invisible walls), islands (smaller but the the better looking option), and floating islands (fun but dangerous).

Maybe Notch is bringing something like this back, he was working on floating islands again at one point.

IIRC, he mentioned something about bringing back limited size maps.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Holy poo poo, the map I just made has a huge mountain covering THREE ravines stacked ontop of each other. It's so loving epic I have to build something there.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

nightwisher posted:

Holy poo poo, the map I just made has a huge mountain covering THREE ravines stacked ontop of each other. It's so loving epic I have to build something there.

What's the seed and location?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Random Stranger posted:

Here's a seed for anyone wanting a challenge:

1662097789 (I think I used "Build a Castle in 1.8" but I can't remember for sure).

This seed is loving fantastic there is a loving massive abandoned mine under your spawn island with 5 diamonds and a lot of other goodies.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

nightwisher posted:

Screenshots you bastard.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

EightBit posted:

Screenshots you bastard.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: Nm

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 10, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love those little poison spiders that spawn in abandoned mines. It's the first time in ages I've died to something that's not lava or a creeper, and it feels pretty good.

Also the hunger system is actually pretty awesome because you constantly regenerate health while full, and you stay full for a long time after you fill the bar up. Also almost all of the friendly mobs drop food.

Also all the new world gen poo poo kicks rear end. God I love this update, best one since minecarts and redstone.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The inclusion of sprinting makes racetracks with interesting obstacle courses possible...

edit: You can use creative mode to easily build levels and then import them into survival no?

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 10, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
For those of you that haven't crashed on furnaces yet: :argh: Every time I try it hangs the game.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Raskolnikov posted:

The inclusion of sprinting makes racetracks with interesting obstacle courses possible...

If you make racetrack map, please find some way to include the ultimate racing music in it.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

EightBit posted:

For those of you that haven't crashed on furnaces yet: :argh: Every time I try it hangs the game.

At least you can play. By the time I chop down 3 trees, find somewhere I want to be, and set out, I've already got lots of lag from a memory leak and some graphical glitch that slowly turns my world into flashing blocks with stretched lines.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bone Zone Seven starts you out in a pleasant area maybe 40 paces from a village for anybody who is feeling lazy.

Bone Zone Nine starts you off on a pretty small island with no trees and nowhere to go. I haven't screwed around with this map too much, but I haven't found any land nearby. Pretty much the opposite of Bone Zone Seven.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Rivers are awesome!

The bottom of the map sucks up light and lava no problem!

There doesn't seem to be a "top" in creative mode at the moment but you can only build so high. Also I am pretty sure clouds are, by default, above the build-able zone.

Setting fires in creative mode is tons of fun. Set as many cows as you want on fire!

Almost everything biome related about this update is good. Very good.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 10, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Red mushrooms make pretty bitching houses. Just take the stem out and build up the side walls.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

beagle bagle started me in a nice area. Got some leather and wood, then got an out of memory error :(

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Vinigre posted:

What's the seed and location?

Seed is metalgear, location x8.64 y61.61 z-9.28. You have to break a few blocks to get to it.

This is where you can find it, dig around the left side of the lake, near the cave.

A shot from near the bottom of the intersecting point.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
what is the OP command to switch between survival and creative?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Anyone successfully grown melons yet?

My garden's been like this for real-time hours, I left it running and went off to run errands. Now I'm back and still no melons. I must be doing something wrong. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I think the melons themselves need to grow on plowed land.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Everything is so much larger now. Mines? Abandoned sections everywhere. Ravines take forever to light up and make safe. Oceans that take a few minutes to fly over in Creative mode. I'm going to have to start playing on a server, this is too big to enjoy solo now :3:

Edit: mushroom houses are apparently fire-proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
If it hasn't been said, I think Furnaces causing crashes is linked to being on easy/normal and up. I started on peaceful, didn't have issues, when I switched to easy, furnaces crashed my game, and when I switched to peaceful again, I had to restart Minecraft but I was able to use furnaces without crashing. So if furnaces are giving you trouble, you might want to try that.