Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~

hogofwar posted:

Furnaces only crash when the world is "null" which can happen randomly.

Also, this is directed at the yogscast:

I have a map with a stronghold in it and you can easily transfer this onto the server and make a video about strongholds if needed:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/New%20World.rar

If it's on the server you probably won't spawn in the right place, so the coords are X: 78.9 Y: 33.6 Z: 82.4

(just dig down, and you should find it)

You're a god, I'll pass this on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it looks like the new golden apple effect fills your hunger bar while putting your health bar into a heal mode. The combined effect appears to be a fast regen for a few seconds while still getting the slower regen from your hunger bar.

e: Haven't played enough yet, but it also looks like your hunger bar won't go down for a while after the apple. Superfood!

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 10, 2011

Bad Coffee
Oct 27, 2007
no thank you

MikeJF posted:

Also, I haven't actually found a mine yet (or a village, in creative. Are they not spawning in creative mode?) but I can't see cracked or mossy stone brick blocks in creative. Did they make it in?
It doesn't look like they did. TooManyItems was updated for the 1.8 "pre-release", and the regular stone bricks are the only ones that show up in its list.

Bad Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 10, 2011

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
When my server updates to 1.8, the new geographical features will pop up in heretofore unexplored regions, no?

We've had a policy of not exploring too far from home base to leave room for new terrain types with each update.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Obama 2012 posted:

When my server updates to 1.8, the new geographical features will pop up in heretofore unexplored regions, no?

We've had a policy of not exploring too far from home base to leave room for new terrain types with each update.

I think right now when updating from old worlds, new gen buildings are set to not generate, though I am not too sure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also I can confirm the hunger bar is based on activity, not time. I was tabbed out with the game still running and active (day to night, animals and enemies, crops growing), but never lost anything off my hunger bar.

So those fears about being unable to tab out without dying seem to have been allayed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vib Rib posted:

Also I can confirm the hunger bar is based on activity, not time. I was tabbed out with the game still running and active (day to night, animals and enemies, crops growing), but never lost anything off my hunger bar.

So those fears about being unable to tab out without dying seem to have been allayed.

Incidentally, how do you do that? The game pauses whenever I try to alt-tab out.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
Open up a gui such as the inventory and tab out.

In other news I am trying to generate another stronghold so I can have a proper map for it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh my god the under water bubble particle effect is awesome :3:

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

That's, uh, an interesting design choice.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

It's an outhouse. Without the house.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Regarding Silverfish and Strongholds - in the Yogscast they got a silverfish by destroying a block in a NPC village, so there you go.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

fondue posted:

Regarding Silverfish and Strongholds - in the Yogscast they got a silverfish by destroying a block in a NPC village, so there you go.

that they placed themselves with block id 97 == silverfish blocks...

In other news (directed at Yogscast yet again!)

Here is a MUCH better world for a stronghold:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/StrongholdWorld.zip

It includes a torch lit partially cobble path/steps to the water entrance of the stronghold (signified with a big "noob" tower with red wool on top with a ladder and a few steps into the heart of the stronghold (which is unexplored). Please note that I made the path, noob tower and steps/ladder down into the stronghold, it is not automatically generated.

This is a 10x better world to use for stronghold exploring.

The path is for multiplayer gamers. I fyou are playing singleplayer you SHOULD spawn right next to the ladder/steps going down into the stronghold or in the stronghold itself

Oh and looking at endermen on the server does not work. Just an FYI.

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 10, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eiba posted:

I am loving the ocean survival maps though. Oceans in general are fantastic. Maybe not being in the middle of one, but building something on an ocean shore, with the knowledge that you're on the border of something truly vast is pretty awesome.

I explored around finally and found an "ocean" that was approx 1000x780 blocks, with a couple of 10x20 islands clustered in the very center. From the worldgen photo he showed before, it looked like the code was going to create continent islands surrounded by kilometers of ocean. Still, not bad, maybe the island continent option will still be available under "World Type: Other" in the greyed out world creation button?

Eiba posted:

I guess there's no snow in the game anymore. Has anyone seen anywhere with ice or snow?

We played for about 4 hours last night and nobody saw a single cow the entire time :confused:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

hogofwar posted:

Oh well, nevermind! :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I was hoping I was being negative but now that I've played it I HATE how sprint is double tap forward. I'm accidentally sprinted too many times already. I've done the same when flying in creative mode, turning it off when I was just trying to adjust my height.

Let me set the sprint button to shift Notch! :argh:
We've got the whole drat keyboard!

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Loving this so far. Found a massive ravine thing that went down to almost bedrock level. Made my way down into it, found a huge network of abandoned mines down there. After wandering round and getting properly lost in the mines I got gang hosed by blue spiders after walking into a room with a spawner I didn't notice up near the roof.

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010
I don't think there's a cap for squid spawns anymore...after taking my boat around the ocean for a few minutes, the entity count was at 1600, and my computer was chugging along at 4fps.

1600. loving. Squids. If you're getting lag near large bodies of water, it might be time to gather some ink sacs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, sprinting is very annoying to do. Since I won't ever use the shift key to sneak I'd rather use it to sprint.

I also noticed you can't hold the right mouse button down to put down blocks rapidly anymore. Hopefully that gets fixed because when I was making giant video game sprites in creative it was an utter pain in the rear end to get them down fast.

Also, I love how the maximum FOV is "Quake Pro" :3:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
awesome

'a smokey with ears on' spawned me in an underground shallow pool in the dark. Let's see how this goes ;)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

hogofwar posted:

In other news (directed at Yogscast yet again!)

Here is a MUCH better world for a stronghold:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/StrongholdWorld.zip

It includes a torch lit partially cobble path/steps to the water entrance of the stronghold (signified with a big "noob" tower with red wool on top with a ladder and a few steps into the heart of the stronghold (which is unexplored). Please note that I made the path, noob tower and steps/ladder down into the stronghold, it is not automatically generated.

This is a 10x better world to use for stronghold exploring.

The path is for multiplayer gamers. I fyou are playing singleplayer you SHOULD spawn right next to the ladder/steps going down into the stronghold or in the stronghold itself

Oh and looking at endermen on the server does not work. Just an FYI.

Wow, I didn't even know this kind of structures were in this update. Is there supposed to be loot and such scattered around bc as is, it would seem kinda pointless to explore something this big and confusing. (Even if there is something in the middle or as a reward for exploring all of it, it's way too big to keep players motivated without giving some rewards underway)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zeether posted:

Also, I love how the maximum FOV is "Quake Pro" :3:

Now sprint with Quake Pro on. :2bong:

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Joda posted:

Wow, I didn't even know this kind of structures were in this update. Is there supposed to be loot and such scattered around bc as is, it would seem kinda pointless to explore something this big and confusing. (Even if there is something in the middle or as a reward for exploring all of it, it's way too big to keep players motivated without giving some rewards underway)

There isn't much inside it except for a few chests, blocks you can't get anywhere else and looking at stuff :D

There is currently no big reward but there are/were plans to add a boss monster to a stronghold which isn't with 1.8 which may be part of the reason strongholds are so rare.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bad Coffee posted:

It doesn't look like they did. TooManyItems was updated for the 1.8 "pre-release", and the regular stone bricks are the only ones that show up in its list.

Huh, but I just opened up the stronghold zip someone posted up there and they're both definitely in the game. Something odd's going on there.

Speaking of the stronghold, what special rooms are there in there? I'm pretty lost. So far I've seen the library, the fountain, and the weird platform with a chest room.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 10, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Huh, but I just opened up the stronghold zip someone posted up there and they're both definitely in the game. Something odd's going on there.

Speaking of the stronghold, what special rooms are there in there? I'm pretty lost. So far I've seen the library.

Yeah, quite a few items are missing from the creative list, mostly ones that use meta (stone/mossy/cracked bricks) and others such as dyes and different leaves.

Rooms? Stairs, jails, librarys, a room with a ladder in with a chest on top and so on.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So, you know, just lookin' at skin repositories. You know, some of these are okay, some of them are b- oh my GOD

:nws: http://www.minershoes.com/skin/view/i4e2c2b86021d273414773403663456341334170 :nws:

The best part about this is the first comment:

claire88c posted:

WHAT THE HELL DID U DO TO MY SKIN WHY IS IT NAKED?

Minecraft~

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
So the mushrooms look pretty loving awful, but at least the red ones make decent pop ups tents.

Also one mushroom + one bonemeal = a ton of extra mushrooms if you can be bothered to smash all the blocks that make up the big one.

They're a pain to get rid of though. They don't burn.

Rusty Pipes
Nov 25, 2010

I am so tempted to wear this skin with all of my pride.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
So I admit I didn't read the last 70 pages... what exactly is hosed about furnaces? Are they entirely unusable in 1.8, meaning nothing better than stone?

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

glug posted:

So I admit I didn't read the last 70 pages... what exactly is hosed about furnaces? Are they entirely unusable in 1.8, meaning nothing better than stone?
I've had some trouble but it's inconsistent. Tried to replicate it, couldn't. Sometimes, when putting fuel into a furnace, or when the furnace shuts off, the game saves the world and crashes. The client needs to be restarted.

Haven't lost any progress or anything yet, it always saves.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
*sigh* something else I'm not getting.
I had no food, starved, and lost health real fast until I cooked and ate some pork chops.

Now I'm at 8/10 hunger, and have been for much of a game day, but I'm still at half a heart. Hunger not going down, health not going up. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

glug posted:

*sigh* something else I'm not getting.
I had no food, starved, and lost health real fast until I cooked and ate some pork chops.

Now I'm at 8/10 hunger, and have been for much of a game day, but I'm still at half a heart. Hunger not going down, health not going up. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Full hunger bar makes you heal health, or just eat more food. Not sure of all the things that make the hunger bar go down though

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Did someone say that you could only play the 1.8 pre-release in offline mode? It took several tries, but I was finally able to get in. I normally have no problems with this. Maybe the server is under more stress because everyone is trying it out?

e: it looks like the items that you can't pick up after exiting the crafting table are duplicates, I got back my items but the sprites stayed behind.

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 10, 2011

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

glug posted:

I fully expected a crash when I first used it, but surprisingly enough, I didn't have any problems so far. No problems with charring wood, smelting iron ore with coal, but that's about all I've tried out so far.

I also have not really been hit by the full brunt of the "excess materials left in the crafting window"-bug. I've been able to pick up all excess materials, save for the ones that land on top of the crafting table and end up being unretrievable.

The only bugs I've experienced so far are ones where skins of items (rotten flesh, etc.) are missing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Thanks hog. Holy poo poo I'm loving this. Completely empty useless tunnels going through mountains, sometimes leading to a huge drop into an amazingly large underground.. something. I mean there's old caves, and now there's new loving caverns. This is so awesome.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not a big fan of the new food/healing system.

Although it's fine to have passive healing only while in combat rather than eating a pork chop in the middle of a fight to heal, I really don't like that if you're on low HP at the end of a fight you basically have to just stand around until you heal up before venturing further.

I feel that if they did something like make it so you can only consume food while out of combat, and eating food will automatically heal you if you're at full food already it would keep all of the current mechanics but remove the need to stand around waiting after combat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So it seems like the one thing we can all agree on is the new terrain generation is amazing. The only thing that's flawed is currently there are no snow biomes.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got on the server but I had to retry connecting Minecraft a lot in order to do it.

Also, I came across one of the towns. I wish some of the houses had stoves or chests in them. The chests could be full of stuff you could loot and use.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
So this is a fun new terrain feature:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mike the TV posted:

So this is a fun new terrain feature:

Swamps are really cool. Also nice for starting out. Flat, lots of mushrooms and wood. You won't starve and... Well, I'm addicted to red mushroom houses. They're just so... new.