Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mug posted:

I never got Icarus anyway in my Pacifist playthrough. I might get it on my Hard playthrough, seems cool.

I never played the first Deus Ex very much, maybe for 15 hours when I was really young but never got particular far and don't remember any of it, but what was with all that imagery in the trailers of Jensen with wings and poo poo that never appeared anywhere in the game? Was it references to something in the first game?

It was a visual metaphor for Augmentation. Icarus flying too close to the sun and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

yrF posted:

So it turns out that the Icarus aug is a waste of praxis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7rVRpZy0iw&feature=related

Ah, but you don't get the sick glowy cutscene.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ragg posted:

Ah, but you don't get the sick glowy cutscene.
You also don't get sick of the glowy cutscene.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SpazmasterX posted:

It was a visual metaphor for Augmentation. Icarus flying too close to the sun and whatnot.

And for the record, Eidos Montréal claims they directed the whole thing and that the extent of Square-Enix's involvement was handing it to a studio they own to produce it. I will admit though, my first thought on seeing it was also, 'Yeah, that's a little Square-Enix-y...'.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

im a girl btw posted:

How the hell do I beat the 2nd boss at picus? I've gone with a stealth character so I don't have the typhoon, my main weapon is the 10mm which doesn't seem to bother her and I don't have the electrical shield aug so I die every time she hits the 2nd power conduit. I haven't stocked up on health items because I avoid taking damage so I never have to heal (except for boss fights apparently).

I've been trying to EMP her and then unload the heavy rifle into her but that isn't working spectacularly either.

Quoting so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the last page. I'm still trying, still no luck! It's mildly annoying that they allow you to play 99% of the game without even being seen and then throw in boss fights where you have to deal and take damage.

Also is it possible to get the pacifist trophy if you've set robots to kill enemies? I'm not going for pacifist this playthrough, just interested.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm just really, really bad at this game, but I need some serious help. In pretty much any firefight that I'm in, I get killed instantly (playing on normal difficulty), which makes this part so much harder. I just reached the first boss, and I've died about 20 times in a row now, and seemingly can't make any progress. Put a good 40 pistol rounds and 2 explosive barrels into him and he keeps on trucking, and I can't move between cover fast enough to avoid being torn to bits by his gun or blown up with a grenade. Any advice?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

im a girl btw posted:

Quoting so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the last page. I'm still trying, still no luck! It's mildly annoying that they allow you to play 99% of the game without even being seen and then throw in boss fights where you have to deal and take damage.

Also is it possible to get the pacifist trophy if you've set robots to kill enemies? I'm not going for pacifist this playthrough, just interested.

I did this fight without the electric aug either. Just do the thing that electrifies the floor, jump like you're playing CS, and use stims like you're a marine in SC. Cloak when she's coming for you.

And I just noticed you said you didn't have health items. Uh, sorry :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

im a girl btw posted:

There's lockers scattered around the outer edges of the level with tons of guns, you can use these to spray machine pistol fire everywhere to break her cloak, you can also use smart vision to see her while she's cloaked. Shoot her a lot while she's stunned from breaking the electric terminals with her charge attack. Also shoot her a lot in general at mid-range to try to get her to start shooting back, since this gives you a huge chance to avoid and then approach her from behind.

Don't bother with take downs she just does a counter move and gets a free hit in. When she charges at you, don't worry about where she's coming from, just run in any direction, if she's coming right at you just keep running right past her. If you have the stun gun you can stun lock her right from the get go until she dies. :)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 11, 2011

Serain
Mar 30, 2011
Drew something for this game.

Let me know if there's something wrong with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Jensen's arm appears to be made of hot dogs.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Haha, what? That's not Jensen at the top right.

Good picture.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

coyo7e posted:

His nitrates are augmented

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Serain posted:

Nothing is wrong. It's fabulous.

Though, I think I spot one issue. Not everyone is holding their right arm horizontally and slightly in front of their chest.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

There's lockers scattered around the outer edges of the level with tons of guns, you can use these to spray machine pistol fire everywhere to break her cloak, you can also use smart vision to see her while she's cloaked. Shoot her a lot while she's stunned from breaking the electric terminals with her charge attack. Also shoot her a lot in general at mid-range to try to get her to start shooting back, since this gives you a huge chance to avoid and then approach her from behind.

Don't bother with take downs she just does a counter move and gets a free hit in. When she charges at you, don't worry about where she's coming from, just run in any direction, if she's coming right at you just keep running right past her. If you have the stun gun you can stun lock her right from the get go until she dies. :)

Thanks for the tips, I had read about using the stun gun or smart vision but I unfortunately had neither. I just beat her 5 minutes ago by jumping over her when she charges, cloaking, spamming EMP mines then unloading into her with the heavy rifle while she's stunned. Had to use every cyberboost bar I had and both hypostims from the lockers but I got it in the end.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I'm in Hengsha for the first time, and I've cracked open over half a dozen garages and looted them for goodies. Or at least I would have, if my inventory hadn't filled up after the first one. Where can I lug my junk to sell it in this town?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay so how far am I in the game if I just defeated the second real boss?

Also, spoilers regarding that area... I was so loving tense the whole way through the Picus area. Goddamn. I don't know why I was so on edge. But also, as soon as I loving landed there and it was empty I thought to myself "she's a loving AI isn't she?".

The confrontation with the guards outside the panic room of the chick from Tai Yung was hilarious too because I threw like two gas grenades to take them all out.

Gas grenades also worked wonders when waiting for the elevator in Picus. I put a gas mine near the spawn point of the guards when you summon the elevator and took them out right as they spawned. Cheap? Sure. But super effective as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For me, the penny dropped when I started checking out all the books. Why the gently caress are all the books here about AIs? Oooooooh

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Mordiceius posted:

About half way, give or take.

I love finding all the random sci fi references everywhere, like the seashells mentioned earlier, and the cops talking about Robocop. I also found an email which is basically a transcript of one of the announcements from the beginning of Half Life.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

coyo7e posted:

Turns out Human Revolution wasn't the prequel to Deus Ex after all, but to Bionic Commando.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Serain posted:

everyone is asian

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
After I'm through with Catherine I guess this will be the next game I get...and it looks like another brown, marine, super soldier, fps/3ps kind of thing which doesn't exactly excite me anymore but I hear the story is really great.

And the OP is amazing. Thank you for such detail.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Gatts posted:

After I'm through with Catherine I guess this will be the next game I get...and it looks like another brown, marine, super soldier, fps/3ps kind of thing which doesn't exactly excite me anymore but I hear the story is really great.

The story is not great at all, the game is just really good with fairly open hubs and a ton of ways to handle your missions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gatts posted:

It's not brown it's black and gold, you're not a Marine you're an ex-SWAT, and I don't think I'd define the story as great but the characters who make up the story are. At least the ones who are given more screen time than "rargh I'm a boss!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coyo7e posted:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Also, spoilers regarding that area... I was so loving tense the whole way through the Picus area. Goddamn. I don't know why I was so on edge. But also, as soon as I loving landed there and it was empty I thought to myself "she's a loving AI isn't she?".

The confrontation with the guards outside the panic room of the chick from Tai Yung was hilarious too because I threw like two gas grenades to take them all out.

Gas grenades also worked wonders when waiting for the elevator in Picus. I put a gas mine near the spawn point of the guards when you summon the elevator and took them out right as they spawned. Cheap? Sure. But super effective as well.

You know what else is super effective? Blocking the entrances with vending machines.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
haha wow typhoon really is a "skip scene" for boss fights.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cowcaster posted:

So I'm in Hengsha for the first time, and I've cracked open over half a dozen garages and looted them for goodies. Or at least I would have, if my inventory hadn't filled up after the first one. Where can I lug my junk to sell it in this town?

There's a merchant on the ground floor of the whorehouse, enter from the street and go through the concealed door on the left in the main hall (took me forever to find him, that's what you get for playing with highlights off).

There's also a second merchant in the Alice Garden Pods, which is a place you'll visit through the main plot - and checking the merchant and buying everything you want should be the first thing you do when you get there.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Four barrels to kill off the walker bot during Hengsha II. gently caress me.

Apparently they don't shoot at you with cloaking/silencing enabled, but they do shoot floating barrels!

You're welcome Faridah.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Old Guadalajara posted:

You know what else is super effective? Blocking the entrances with vending machines.

:aaaaa: yes. I will have to do this next time!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ugh, just spent 30 minutes taking down the first boss on Hard. And this is supposed to be my shooty run. While it is doable, it is still really annoying unless you specifically build to cheese your way through it by the time you get to this point. Trying to throw the barrels didn't work out well for me, since he'd either shoot me while I was holding them (kaboom) or destroy them with grenade spam before I could safely pick them up. It ultimately came down to stunning him with an EMP grenade, shooting him in the head five times with an upgraded shotgun, and then hiding in the opposite ammo room to repeat the process when he came close.

Also the game was mean and didn't let me bring my turret friend through the door with me. At least that would have been an acceptable "Jensen is smarter than the boss" DX-style option.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
What am I missing?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What am I missing?

Demolition Man reference. The three seashells are what replaced toilet paper.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I just finished the game on Hard. I thought it was good, but the end felt less good than the rest. That might have something to do with me playing most of Singapore and all of Panchea all at once while I was tired. I don't know why I was expecting it but I was disappointed the last boss wasn't evil robot Hugh Darrow. Also, I was a bit surprised that nobody from Sarif was a backstabbing bastard or something. I was sure Sarif himself was going to turn into some sort of power hungry rear end in a top hat, but he is just a nice guy.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

I think if you set turrets or robots to kill your enemies you lose the pacifist achievement. What I'm worried about is if you still lose it if a robot explosion kills a nearby enemy.

There is one particular event in the game where I simply cannot let the robot live.

If I abandon the achievement and just go for "only kill when necessary" I'll essentially be duplicating my first playthrough.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

KnightLight posted:

I think if you set turrets or robots to kill your enemies you lose the pacifist achievement. What I'm worried about is if you still lose it if a robot explosion kills a nearby enemy.

There is one particular event in the game where I simply cannot let the robot live.

If I abandon the achievement and just go for "only kill when necessary" I'll essentially be duplicating my first playthrough.

I think someone said that deaths resulting from robot explosions don't negate the Pacifist achievement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Basically if you get Man Down (10) then it's time to reload.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cowwan posted:

Also, I was a bit surprised that nobody from Sarif was a backstabbing bastard or something. I was sure Sarif himself was going to turn into some sort of power hungry rear end in a top hat, but he is just a nice guy.

Well, a nice guy for a dude who deliberately withhold pertinent information from you even when asked about it directly (unless you are really tenacious about it at least), and had LIMB chop you up way more than you actually needed to be, and wants you to frame an unfriendly organization for one of the worst terrorist acts in history in order to ensure that business can go on as usual. I mean he does come across as being a fairly decent guy who is also an unashamedly cutthroat businessman. A Steve Jobs, maybe? The fact that nobody at Sarif Industries was knowingly involved in the Illuminati stuff was a pleasant surprise though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Old Guadalajara posted:

I think someone said that deaths resulting from robot explosions don't negate the Pacifist achievement.

Correct. Robot collateral damage isn't your fault.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

SpazmasterX posted:

Correct. Robot collateral damage isn't your fault.

I think that, with this knowledge, I can manage to make it through a "pacifist" run :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Thundarr posted:

Well, a nice guy for a dude who deliberately withhold pertinent information from you even when asked about it directly (unless you are really tenacious about it at least), and had LIMB chop you up way more than you actually needed to be, and wants you to frame an unfriendly organization for one of the worst terrorist acts in history in order to ensure that business can go on as usual. I mean he does come across as being a fairly decent guy who is also an unashamedly cutthroat businessman. A Steve Jobs, maybe? The fact that nobody at Sarif Industries was knowingly involved in the Illuminati stuff was a pleasant surprise though.
Part of the reason Sarif holds back the facts is because Jensen is adopted and he actually cares about the guy. Taking Jensen's other leg during surgery just makes sense since it would be pretty loving weird with a normal leg and three augmented limbs. Even after beating the game I nothing had the feeling that Sarif had a malicious intent for anything he did.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 11, 2011

• Locked thread