Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Speaking of getting codes off of e-bay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/God-War-III-Rare-Exclusive-Deimos-Skin-PS3-/120742210560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ccbec00

Why is this 60 dollars? Who the gently caress actually bought this at 60 dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The last mission is probably the best in the game just for the atmosphere, but overall I found the Saboteur to be kind of lacking. I think i had such a dreadful time with it because the driving in it was boring as hell.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Policenaut posted:

Aw drat it, Home costumes? Now I gotta get all up in that. Subway gives out good Home poo poo.

Dude, seriously, you have a problem.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Dead Island would be cool if it actually saved my progress each time I played. Last time I played I got up to level 11, tonight I resume my game and I'm back at level 7 and all the quests I had done during the last session were marked as new/unfinished. I don't know how that happened since I saw the saving icon several times, along with a "Game Saved" message after finishing quests. So that's pretty annoying and I'm going to sell it tomorrow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just beat Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

What the gently caress was with the lack of an ending.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
New Vegas's randomness is awesome.

I had that quest "Booted" where you have to go free the captured Powder Gangers from the Legion. I went to do it, untied them both and as we were walking out, right after I got the XP reward for saving them... both of them plus one of the Legion guards got mauled to death by a pack of Nightstalkers.

:v:

Following roaming NCR troops around is fun too, then scavenging anything they manage to kill. Thanks guys!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

You know, I think I really am starting to get annoyed with the assassin's creed games. Its such a time consuming game. What I mean by that is that in between running around in the open world and trying to find out what I need to do, you can easily spend an hour not having done a single quest.

I think I am just going to start powering through the main missions in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood until they force me to do the other stuff.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

You know, I think I really am starting to get annoyed with the assassin's creed games. Its such a time consuming game. What I mean by that is that in between running around in the open world and trying to find out what I need to do, you can easily spend an hour not having done a single quest.

I think I am just going to start powering through the main missions in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood until they force me to do the other stuff.

I completely agree. Them coming out every year just contributes to it. After some point I ignored all side stuff in Brotherhood pretty much because I was still burnt out and feeling AC2 was too long of a game. I still enjoyed them both a lot and the endings are definitely worth it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

How does that compare to complaining that a game is too short?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

the truth posted:

I don't mind short games, but a lot of the length in Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood is just running around getting to stuff. The layout of the cities and the vastness contribute to it. The need to find viewpoints also contributes to it.

Don't get me wrong, the actual story missions are fun as hell, but there is a lot of ancillary stuff that you will eventually have to do and it can be daunting to go through it all.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

the truth posted:

It is definitely better. I am glad they put in too much optional stuff and it doesn't usually block you from powering through with "Do this many tedious pointless missions to unlock next interesting mission/story beat."

They are well designed games with interesting open worlds and its pretty weird feeling like you've had your fill of that at some point but it happens. Brotherhood will definitely be a game that is hard to forget, I kept having flashbacks to certain areas as I watched The Borgias.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Danthrax posted:

Dead Island would be cool if it actually saved my progress each time I played. Last time I played I got up to level 11, tonight I resume my game and I'm back at level 7 and all the quests I had done during the last session were marked as new/unfinished. I don't know how that happened since I saw the saving icon several times, along with a "Game Saved" message after finishing quests. So that's pretty annoying and I'm going to sell it tomorrow.

You can't sell it! Sure, the game debuted with a thoughtful and interesting trailer that in no way represented that it would be a generic FPS zombie Left 4 Dead clone, and sure it had a disasterous release due to being a horrible buggy mess, but... If you sell it now, then you won't be able to buy the DLC coming out later this month!

Good old DLC. What did we ever do before you became standard for all games? :allears:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Ico HD release looks like a wasted opportunity to me. I'm impressed that they seem to have almost redrawn some textures but the lighting seems wholly wrong on this new release. The original Ico had this sunny bright look to it that on most shots looks lost.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh wow, anyone want to see the prototype controllers for the original PlayStation?

Kinda neat to think that Plus and Minus could have been part of Circle, Cross, Triangle, and Square.

Jamesman posted:

a generic FPS zombie Left 4 Dead clone

I don't think you've actually played Dead Island, because it's neither an FPS (in the traditional sense) nor a Left 4 Dead clone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That V one feels uncomfortable just by looking at it. I also agree with that Dead Island assessment.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if that second one's triangle button would've acted kinda like the Gamecube's C-stick?

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 11, 2011

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Jamesman posted:

You can't sell it! Sure, the game debuted with a thoughtful and interesting trailer that in no way represented that it would be a generic FPS zombie Left 4 Dead clone, and sure it had a disasterous release due to being a horrible buggy mess, but... If you sell it now, then you won't be able to buy the DLC coming out later this month!

Good old DLC. What did we ever do before you became standard for all games? :allears:

Dead Island is nothing like Left 4 Dead and I think they captured a bit of that trailer too. Definitely feels darker than every other zombie game. If it weren't for the fact that I'm too scared of losing all my progress a second time I'd still be playing it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at the latest FF13-2 info makes me more and more hopeful for the game. It looks like you'll be doing some time traveling, and seeing the same areas in different time periods. Also there are QTEs in battles, which by themselves I am not so excited about, but they appear to be branching QTEs, which I don't see enough of in games.

edit: the gate interface, which is cross shaped (or XMB shaped?) with locations running horizontally and time period running vertically, or is it the other way around? You need some kind of key items to unlock areas/time periods I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 11, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Square must feel pretty good about it, too, because I read somewhere that they already registered XIII-3.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Aphrodite posted:

I am going to need to buy some of those [subway] codes off ebay, I guess. Canada probably won't be getting this.

Or you could put up a thread in Coupons. I'm sure there's a bunch of people there who eat at Subway and don't use their PS3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Or you could put up a thread in Coupons. I'm sure there's a bunch of people there who eat at Subway and don't use their PS3.

True.

It only starts at the end of the month, right?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Jamesman posted:

If you think Dead Island is a buggy mess, you should see the PS Home tie-in game. Honestly, it's got some of the worst animation and hit detection I've ever seen.

EDIT: Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GEi9LWm-oA

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 11, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I just beat Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

What the gently caress was with the lack of an ending.

The whole thing is bullshit. It ends on mission 15, when the mothership first appears.

In EDF2 on the PS2, on mission 15, you first see the mothership. For the next 15 levels it's constantly hounding you, and you finally take it on around mission 30 in an epic, city-destroying showdown.

And then it turns out that it was just a scout, and the REAL mothership appears, one of a dozen small discs in its underbelly missing - the one you just took out. And then the second half of the game begins.

Insect Armageddon is a quarter of an EDF game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

From reviews it seems like it's basically the same thing the entire time. That's why I passed.

I know this is from a page or so ago but I've started really playing it, and this is utter bullshit. Yes the combat overall remains the same, but it's more of a platformer anyways. Every area keeps throwing new obstacles a the player and alot of them are pretty rage-inducing interesting. It's not like the combat is bad or anything. It's simple but it's fun. How can you hate the combat in a game when you can infect an enemy, launch him into the air, send him into a group of his buddies and then make him explode? Really, the combat in any game where traps hurt enemies too is bound to be at least a little fun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking at the latest FF13-2 info makes me more and more hopeful for the game. It looks like you'll be doing some time traveling, and seeing the same areas in different time periods. Also there are QTEs in battles, which by themselves I am not so excited about, but they appear to be branching QTEs, which I don't see enough of in games.

edit: the gate interface, which is cross shaped (or XMB shaped?) with locations running horizontally and time period running vertically, or is it the other way around? You need some kind of key items to unlock areas/time periods I guess.

This sounds radically different from the first game and it actually makes me curious.

They're using the game engine from the first game right? (but with a new battle system and all). The last game was gorgeous and it was a little sad they developed so many unique and beautiful assets only to make a corridor linking them all.

It makes me think they really dicked around with the first game and when they had to release the game, they cobbled together something from what they had. But this? This sounds more of a labor of love than the first FF13 was.

Edit: Can we get a 13-2 thread? I thought this game would benefit from one, and the main focus can be convincing people it's not the same as the first game and to turn people back into Final Fantasy after the disaster than 13 was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

This sounds radically different from the first game and it actually makes me curious.

They're using the game engine from the first game right? (but with a new battle system and all). The last game was gorgeous and it was a little sad they developed so many unique and beautiful assets only to make a corridor linking them all.

It makes me think they really dicked around with the first game and when they had to release the game, they cobbled together something from what they had. But this? This sounds more of a labor of love than the first FF13 was.

Edit: Can we get a 13-2 thread? I thought this game would benefit from one, and the main focus can be convincing people it's not the same as the first game and to turn people back into Final Fantasy after the disaster than 13 was.
Yeah, that is seriously what I am thinking too. From interviews right after 13's release it is clear that they had the marketing people shouting a billion contradictory messages at them and it seriously rattled their brains and 13 is the result. Maybe now though they have calmed down a bit and can make a proper game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I don't think you've actually played Dead Island, because it's neither an FPS (in the traditional sense) nor a Left 4 Dead clone.

Its more like a Melee oriented Borderlands than L4D.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that is seriously what I am thinking too. From interviews right after 13's release it is clear that they had the marketing people shouting a billion contradictory messages at them and it seriously rattled their brains and 13 is the result. Maybe now though they have calmed down a bit and can make a proper game.

Also, combined with FF14 and they're having lots of financial issues, Squarenix is likely sitting down and going: Okay, let's get back to our roots, and have some very interesting changes and think from a GAMERS perspective.

They know they need a real game this time, and while they're using the Final Fantasy name, I hope they now realize it's not enough to carry it.

(also, I'm sure they've spent a fuckton of money on R+D for the game engine and they'll be damned if they use it for only 1 game, hence FF13-2 and maybe FF13-3.)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square-Enix is actually doing quite a lot of work trying to "fix" Final Fantasy 14, mainly by turning it into Final Fantasy 11-2 which is what everyone wanted in the first place. It was at least nice of them to go "Yeah this sucks, we're not going to charge you to play it" while they spent a year actually, you know, finishing the game after it came out.

I'll probably try it on PS3 launch.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Code Jockey posted:

I nearly gave up at this too. It's really loving hard, and requires a lot of luck. Just memorize the positions of things and pray for good luck. :/ The rest of the game is totally worth that bullshit though, I promise.

Also, that loving NPC. :argh: He got me a few times.

e. Also, if I recall, it's a good idea to fire in short bursts and aim at the drivers of the cars to disable them. Also later on, I want to say some cars have machine gunners hanging out the sides, take them down too obviously. I think killing drivers disables those bastard Gestapo machine gunner cars, which were my biggest problem by far.

I had to restart from checkpoint about a dozen times, which was not cool, but each time i managed to get a little further, so I don't know if that's just dumb luck or maybe the game giving you a little extra resistance each time, but I agree, an absolute poo poo of a mission. The solemness of the final mission really was fantastic, even if it wasn't really a proper mission, sort of similar to the end of Red Dead Redemption, it was more a means of tying off the story then actually positing one final challenge to the player.

I have one Platinum only, for AC2, but The Saboteur is the next closest percentage to plat for me, I just need to blow up all of paris, and a few trophies are going to need restarting the game, so i'll probably never get there.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's taking me forever to make any real progress in Deus Ex. This is mainly because I find it hard to concentrate on my objectives and spend most of my time just screwing around. This is not a complaint.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's not a Deus Ex game unless you're stealing everything belonging to your coworkers and any member of the public within fifty miles.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This week's Drop in PS Blog made some new revelations:

There will be a PSN downloadable version of God of War Origins Collection.

Ferrari: The Race Experience and Elemental Monster: Online Card Game will also have PSN releases this week.

Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness is the next Japanese PS1 import.

And we're getting the PS1 version of Pong.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Elemental Monster: Online Card Game will also have PSN releases this week.

FINALLY.

I knew that would localize sooner or later!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Policenaut posted:

FINALLY.

I knew that would localize sooner or later!

Do you know anything of what it's like? The description on the blog makes it sound like rock paper scissors and it has to be more involved than that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Ferrari: The Race Experience

I've heard good things about this racing game. Going to have to buy it for sure, as I love Ferrari and there are not enough racing games with Ferrari represented.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I've heard good things about this racing game. Going to have to buy it for sure, as I love Ferrari and there are not enough racing games with Ferrari represented.

Back when it was still a Euro-exclusive PSN game, I did some research on it. It's actually a slightly altered digital version of that Ferrari Challenge Blu-ray game we have in North America or something.

J posted:

Do you know anything of what it's like? The description on the blog makes it sound like rock paper scissors and it has to be more involved than that.

I don't fully understand the game myself as most information on it is in Japanese, but here's the game's Japanese trailer which does some visual explanation on the subject. It gives a decent idea of the basic gameplay.

As far as I can tell, you collect cards and make teams of monsters out of them. Each monster has like their own HP, "Agility", Element and Pokemon TCG-esque attack skills and Magic-style abilities. So you pick a team of like a max of 6 and can have 3 out at once. There's something about special formations and "circles" to power them up.

I know that the Japanese went crazy over this game. The deal with it is that it has a super cheap point of entry and its a full-scale PSN game (Platinum Trophy and everything) that's just a dollar, but you can only get new cards by winning games or buying booster packs ala DLC. It's really weird but Asia is nuts for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I said come in! posted:

I played it back in the day and it's really not that great. It's like a really bland, limited Gran Turismo seemingly fit only for people that are really, really into Ferraris.

But that's just my two cents.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I played it back in the day and it's really not that great. It's like a really bland, limited Gran Turismo seemingly fit only for people that are really, really into Ferraris.

But that's just my two cents.

If it's cheap enough in North America, i'll still buy it. It's good to know where to set my expectations though. I'm really into Ferrari, so it might worth it just to have a go around the tracks with each car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Slightly old news : There will be a Bluray disc version of Telltale's Back to the Future: The Game next month for $20. Good for anyone who rents or trades most of their games.

Top 5 games lists on PSN Facebook app changed a bunch again. Looks like Japan already has the Resident Evil HD collection.

• Locked thread