Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Here are some possibly crazy conditions you can do Viash:

* Do victory taunts after successfully hitting every enemy, even if they are not dead. Bosses are no exception!!!

* Your character must wear only shoes. Some people like that THANG.

* Your weapon of choice must be the talismans, if you can punch them with it do that instead of using spells.

* Kill the Maiden In Black everytime she asks if you want soul power, do this 20 times or until you get bored.

* Roll everywhere, including the difficult to roll spots, walking must be punished by healing yourself. Yes, healing is a punishment in this manly game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Crossbow-only game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Schwartzcough posted:

Crossbow-only game.

I'm not sure you'd have enough arrows to beat the first level, can you melee with a crossbow?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

pixaal posted:

I'm not sure you'd have enough arrows to beat the first level, can you melee with a crossbow?

Pretty sure the dregling merchant sells bolts, but crossbows are so crap you probably couldn't even farm the souls necessary to buy them. I imagine some duping of bolts would be required.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

Pretty sure the dregling merchant sells bolts, but crossbows are so crap you probably couldn't even farm the souls necessary to buy them. I imagine some duping of bolts would be required.

Well if you could melee with the cross bow you could very likely farm enough enough souls to make a no dupe possible. But yeah if you have to dupe to do it it will still be painful enough to do crossbow only.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Viash posted:

So I've beaten Demon's Souls with several different characters, gotten the platinum and everything. Before Dark Souls comes out I want to do one last playthrough with some completely ridiculous and hard gimmick build. Any suggestions?

Level One run is the best IMO (pick a royal, play melee only, upgrade any equipment you like, but never gain a level from the Candle Maiden) but the most ridic one is the Scavenger Run. Start as a Temple Knight and never spend a soul, you have to get by on what you find on the ground. Whether grass farming is allowed or not is up to you, but remember, no upgrading because blacksmiths and the Candle Maiden require souls for that.

Don't break your Crescent Falchion too early!

raton fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 9, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Level One run is the best IMO (pick a royal, play melee only, upgrade any equipment you like, but never gain a level from the Candle Maiden) but the most ridic one is the Scavenger Run. Start as a Temple Knight and never spend a soul, you have to get by on what you find on the ground. Whether grass farming is allowed or not is up to you, but remember, no upgrading because blacksmiths and the Candle Maiden require souls for that.

Before anyone asks, yes these are both possible and yes people have done both of them.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Totally doing that scavenger one that sounds awesome. Thanks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

Before anyone asks, yes these are both possible and yes people have done both of them.

All I have to do is kill False King myself and I will have done the level one run. Totally doable too but I keep loving it up.

Viash posted:

Totally doing that scavenger one that sounds awesome. Thanks.

With or without grass farming? Without = the real Demon's Souls starts here.

Either way, keep us updated.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I am terrible at this game. I got it in February this year or something. I love the game, one of my favorite games of all time. I play it with friends though since I can't beat the bosses on my own.
The penetrator keeps.. penetrating me so I'm stuck. Haven't played for a long time but I have recently gotten the urge to do it again. Especially since Dark Souls is coming soon.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Torabi posted:

I am terrible at this game. I got it in February this year or something. I love the game, one of my favorite games of all time. I play it with friends though since I can't beat the bosses on my own.
The penetrator keeps.. penetrating me so I'm stuck. Haven't played for a long time but I have recently gotten the urge to do it again. Especially since Dark Souls is coming soon.

Did you take the key you got from one of the fat ministers back to the end of 1-2 and rescue Biorr? If you're having trouble with Penetrator, he'll come help you.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Shlapintogan posted:

Did you take the key you got from one of the fat ministers back to the end of 1-2 and rescue Biorr? If you're having trouble with Penetrator, he'll come help you.

I didn't know that. If I have reached The penetrator and killed some fat guys along the way, does that mean I could already have the key? Don't remember meeting him in 1-2 though but I'll have a look.

Edit:

Rescued both him and Yuria! :dance:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 10, 2011

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

You most likely have the key if you've been exploring. Just head to Tower Knight's archstone and head through the locked door just before it in 1-2 (make sure you have a lot of free inventory space if you like collecting junk, at least 40lbs).

Once you've explored that you can go through the locked door in the first room of 1-3 and get another important but optional thing done.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

One of my friends has just started playing through this in preparation for Dark Souls, and it's amazing seeing him play. I know most of this game so well that seeing a completely new player try and go through it is fantastic, especially when he'll work out something by himself and be overjoyed by the fact it lets him go about a minute more into the level before he dies, haha.

Great game.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Well I finished up my strength focused playthrough at around level 80. Got all the PWWT events except those on Stonefang and Tower of Latria, and got all the named BPs and Primeval Demons. Sparkly screwed me out of a Colourless Soul because I didn't know what I was meant to be doing. loving bullshit. I also made sure to pick up my Friends Ring, so that was nice.

Dabbled a little in NG+ and dispatched the Armour Spider and Flamelurker without much fuss. The Flamelurker was made a lot easier with my Large Brushwood Shield + 5 and he barely landed any hits at all. The hardest part of the fight was trying to be patient and wait for him to do his lunge move before attacking.

Got my DBS and showed it to Scirvir. So fairly happy that I've finally managed to do nearly all the World Tendency stuff. Guess I'll go do the Fools Idol next and see what the Latria PWWT events are.

Once my character's Endurance is up to 40 I'm gonna need some advice on where to invest my souls next.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
PWWT for Latria is the most involved world tendency event. You have to get the key from the top of the first chain tower in 3-2, go back to 3-1, free Rydell and loot his floor (tons of cthulu guards), go open the door in the basement near the prisoner horde that only opens once Rydell is free, go upstairs there and loot all of that.

Killing Yurt has no effect on world tendency by the way so you can get that done (if you wish) while picking up the key.

Now that you have the Friend ring you've done the more arduous tendency bs. The rest can just be played by ear and enjoyed.

Post all your stats if you want build advice so we know where you're at.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So I did my first online play with this the other day. Went in as a Blue Phantom and, as I hoped, we got invaded. I killed the Black Phantom, which pushed me up to Pure White Character Tendency, so I got my friend ring. Then I got called by the Old Monk (only took about 3 minutes, thank god) and killed the first chump that showed up and got my head wrap. Then I invaded someone else, killed the blue phantom he summoned and finally killed him.

That makes me feel a bit better about online- I thought I had a pretty crap build for PvP, but I guess a lot of other players are crap too. Now I just need to get myself the rest of the way for PB Character Tendency and I'll have done pretty much everything on my first playthrough.

Question, though- does Ostrava go back to the Nexus after 1-3? I walked along with him a while and made sure everything was dead in his walking path, but he never came back. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I'm afraid he somehow killed himself somewhere and I've lost the Mausoleum Key.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Schwartzcough posted:

Question, though- does Ostrava go back to the Nexus after 1-3? I walked along with him a while and made sure everything was dead in his walking path, but he never came back. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I'm afraid he somehow killed himself somewhere and I've lost the Mausoleum Key.

You'll run across him again in 1-4.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Temascos posted:

Here are some possibly crazy conditions you can do Viash:

* Do victory taunts after successfully hitting every enemy, even if they are not dead. Bosses are no exception!!!

* Your character must wear only shoes. Some people like that THANG.

* Your weapon of choice must be the talismans, if you can punch them with it do that instead of using spells.

* Kill the Maiden In Black everytime she asks if you want soul power, do this 20 times or until you get bored.

* Roll everywhere, including the difficult to roll spots, walking must be punished by healing yourself. Yes, healing is a punishment in this manly game. :)

An easy one is a no shields, no magic, no miracles, no projectile weapons run. I'm still tempted to see if a no-healing items run is possible. No grasses, no regen, no spells to heal. Combining the two should be a ton of fun as well.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My strength dude as he stands at the moment:

V: 40
I: 10
E: 40
S: 40
D: 10
M: 11
F: 8
L: 11

Soul Level: 90
And I have learned one spell, Enchant Weapon.

So where should I be putting my souls next?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I 18, learn curse weapon, F 16 learn Second Chance, V 50, S 50.

At that point your Strength build is done, really, and further levels would be for branching out or just for more vitality, but you may instead wish to leave that character there so you can use him for pvp a you like. Leave magic where it is though, no more points there as a high magic score is detrimental to your number one spell, Curse Weapon.

Cast CW with the Talisman of Beasts. You don't meet its requirements but will still get the 50% damage boost and get a lot less than the normal 1% hp drain per second (probably only 1hp a second).

raton fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 11, 2011

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
How bad is the health drain on curse weapon with normal casting? Would Adjudicator's shield compensate for it alone?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Brinstar Brew posted:

How bad is the health drain on curse weapon with normal casting? Would Adjudicator's shield compensate for it alone?

It's 1% of your max HP per second when cast with a Catalyst that you have the stats for. A maxed out Adjudicator's Shield regens 8 HP/s so unless you have a huge pool of health, it should compensate.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

evilalien posted:

It's 1% of your max HP per second when cast with a Catalyst that you have the stats for. A maxed out Adjudicator's Shield regens 8 HP/s so unless you have a huge pool of health, it should compensate.

With 40 Vitality you have 1325 hp so you lose 13 hp a second, and with 50 vitality you have 1500 hp so 15 hp a second. That's why it isn't worth using a talisman/catalyst you have the stats for. If you use a ToB without the stats you only lose 1 HP / sec.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Brinstar Brew posted:

As stated above it's quite high and Adjudicator won't cover it. Also my strength guy usually wears the Morion blade on his back to get a boost if they get me low on hp (which happens twice as I'm always using second chance) and you lose out in that if Adjudicator is glued to your back.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Read posted:

With 40 Vitality you have 1325 hp so you lose 13 hp a second, and with 50 vitality you have 1500 hp so 15 hp a second. That's why it isn't worth using a talisman/catalyst you have the stats for. If you use a ToB without the stats you only lose 1 HP / sec.

Ah, my memory was off on how much hp you had at 40 Vitality.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
drat, with Biorr there to distract him the Penetrator was totally trivial on my NG+. My enchant weapon spell didn't even have time to wear off by the time I beat him, and Biorr was only down to about 1/3 of his health.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Leyburn posted:

drat, with Biorr there to distract him the Penetrator was totally trivial on my NG+. My enchant weapon spell didn't even have time to wear off by the time I beat him, and Biorr was only down to about 1/3 of his health.

I've never actually been hit by Penetrator his attack is big, flash, and distracting but it has a very short range compared to what it looks like. Just keep rolling like a motherfucker.

But I had massive issues with flame lurker my first time killing him (in my defense I didn't have enough HP to even take 1 hit so that was likely the main issue) but gently caress if I don't flawlessly kill him now. Flame lurker is my bitch now. I actually felt underwhelmed killing him in new game oh gently caress I donno I think it was +4 or 5, which my the one I used to plat.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So I finally beat Phalanx, turned off the console to get some dinner, came back and ran back the same way I had come. Both the dragons in 1-1 had disappeared leaving the treasure on the grass unguarded.

Is this normal or a bug, because I sure as hell didn't kill either of them?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Killing the boss changed your World Tendency to Pure White, meaning the dragons go away. Enjoy your new shield.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Leyburn posted:

Killing the boss changed your World Tendency to Pure White, meaning the dragons go away. Enjoy your new shield.

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
On the subject of WT. When I started my NG+ the gate to the execution grounds was already open at the start of 1-1. I've definitely not died in world 1 in body form and killed the 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3 bosses and now the execution grounds are blocked off. I wanted to go and kill Miralda!

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

That's strange, I was under the impression that the gate never closed once it was open. Assuming you did the whole world over a period of days then your World Tendency will have reset every time you turned on your PS3 (assuming you're online).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Satanos posted:

That's strange, I was under the impression that the gate never closed once it was open. Assuming you did the whole world over a period of days then your World Tendency will have reset every time you turned on your PS3 (assuming you're online).

That is how it acts, might be some bug with it.
Once the gate opens it is permanently open for that playthrough.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's unusual, the gate should still be open.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm not too bothered, since I'm not missing anything by not going in there. I just wanted a fight.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Any tips for getting through 4-2 on NG+ with a mage character? I've got around 45 Magic and Intellect, but only 18 Vitality and I generally wear Miralda's gear. In short, everything in this stage one shots me. If I can get to him, Old Hero is easy, it's just that drat narrow corridor before the big spirit/slug room where the reaper is at the top of the stairs. I try to run though, but I usually get nailed in the back.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Any tips for getting through 4-2 on NG+ with a mage character? I've got around 45 Magic and Intellect, but only 18 Vitality and I generally wear Miralda's gear. In short, everything in this stage one shots me. If I can get to him, Old Hero is easy, it's just that drat narrow corridor before the big spirit/slug room where the reaper is at the top of the stairs. I try to run though, but I usually get nailed in the back.

Once you get to the fog gate/hallway just before that reaper, where his laser shooting ghosts start to show up, backtrack to the stairs just after the second reaper's location. From here you can look down to see the third reaper just sitting there waiting to get blasted in the face.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If the servers for the game will be turned off in October, what does that mean for gameplay? No more bloodstains? What about world tendency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

If the servers for the game will be turned off in October, what does that mean for gameplay? No more bloodstains? What about world tendency?

It wont matter because Dark Souls will be out.

• Locked thread