Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Hob_Gadling posted:

You could attempt to solve the same problem with genocide. The point stands that it's a conscious and important decision to limit violence.

Not really. If you want to play dumb unrealistic games then sure, killing the entire civilian populace of a country will eliminate an insurgency within the region where mass murder occurred. It's not a realistic proposition.

"Hearts and Minds" campaigns are really an amalgamation of methods(infrastructure building, food aid, medical aid, reform of poorly functioning insitutions etc) designed to reach out to the civilian population in order to sway their beliefs towards the legitimate government. It is a recognition that an insurgency draws it's strength(men, material, food, intelligence, etc) from the civilian population and, in order to win the war, COIN forces must win the support of the civilian population. If suffering is reduced through such means it is only because COIN forces believe it will lessen support for insurgent forces and not in a sincere effort to reduce suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS
Aug 18, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns

Lobster God posted:

Killing Hope is the standard recommendation for this sort of thing. It only gives a relatively brief summary of each 'intervention' but has copious notes if you want to take it further.

I'm going to second this recommendation. One of the best books I've ever read.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Morose Man posted:

Technological question.

First let me check if my understanding is correct. In the First Gulf War American tanks were able to dominate the numerically superior Iraqi tank forces because of very high one shot kill percentage. This seems to imply that armour on a tank isn't effective against modern main battle tanks.

As has been said, the Iraqi T72s that kept having their turrets blown off in Desert Storm were inferior export models and a generation behind the M1 Abrams, which were one-shotting them from farther away than the Iraqis could see.

I've read the after-action report on 73 Easting (and, sadly, lost the link). If you can find it, it'll answer your question -- there was a lot of friendly fire in that battle. I forget the Abrams-vs-Abrams stats (I think they are proof against their own silver bullets on the front and not so much on the sides, as you'd expect, but don't quote me), but the APC results were pretty funny -- drat near every shell hole in a Bradley (and there were quite a few Bradleys hit) was small and "slightly radioactive," which means depleted uranium penetrator, which means it came from an M1. The report does not say whether they were targeted or just drove between an M1 and a T72. Whatever the case, it turns out an APFSDS lawn dart doesn't do much to a lightly-armored APC, it just goes through and leaves a tiny hole and the crew barely notices. The only friendly-fire hard kill was one Bradley putting a TOW missile into another.

quote:

Will we ever again see a situation like the Russian Front in World War 2 where astonished Panzer commanders saw their shells bounce harmlessly off T-34s?
The Iraqi soldiers in T72s in Desert Storm did.

quote:

How important will armour be on AFVs in the future?
With the heavies, it's an arms race. On a main battle tank (or the old big-gun battleships, for that matter), ideally you design the armor to be able to shrug off hits from the gun(s) it's carrying; hopefully your guns (and therefore armor) are bigger than theirs. Unfortunately it doesn't always turn out that way, as the British battlecruisers proved in both World Wars (specifically, Jutland and Hood vs. Bismarck) -- they sacrificed armor for speed, thinking they'd stay ahead and plink at Jerry with their longer-ranged guns; it didn't quite work out in practice.

APCs/IFVs are pretty much only proof against small arms, possibly with slat armor to stop RPGs; if you get in a shooting match with a tank, you run the gently caress away and let your tanks take care of it.

Tangentially, back in the age of sail it was an unwritten rule that ships of the line wouldn't fire on frigates unless the little guy shot first. The frigates were scouts and messengers and it would be unsporting for the heavies to engage them.

Edit: slightly less of a tangent: It amuses me that 73 Easting was basically a heavy cavalry charge, using essentially the same tactics as the knights of old. Sure, you've got depleted-uranium lawn darts and Browning .50s instead of lances and swords, but the movements are the same with tanks as with horses. It makes sense, I suppose -- Patton, who wrote the book on tanks (well, read that magnificent bastard's book and added his own comments) was originally a horseman, and designed the last serious fighting sword before he was put in a tank and out-blitzed the blitzkrieg.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 11, 2011

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
If the Iraq war had ended in a month or two, was Iran probably going to be the next domino to fall?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I've heard that the Bradly had a rough development. Was it mission creep or something else?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: slightly less of a tangent: It amuses me that 73 Easting was basically a heavy cavalry charge, using essentially the same tactics as the knights of old. Sure, you've got depleted-uranium lawn darts and Browning .50s instead of lances and swords, but the movements are the same with tanks as with horses. It makes sense, I suppose -- Patton, who wrote the book on tanks (well, read that magnificent bastard's book and added his own comments) was originally a horseman, and designed the last serious fighting sword before he was put in a tank and out-blitzed the blitzkrieg.
Its not so much a "heavy cavalry charge" but rather the reasonable thing to do considering that the Iraqi's had no chance at all. Therefore you might as well just run at your opponent and rout him as quickly as possible. The cavalry charge as a tactic isn't really relevant in any other situation nowadays.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oxford Comma posted:

If the Iraq war had ended in a month or two, was Iran probably going to be the next domino to fall?

How in your wildest of dreams have you imagined this to happen? And which war in Iraq is it?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

My understanding is that Iran had/has a much better equipped and better trained military that Iraq did in 2003. They have newer equipment. More importantly, their soldiers are much better trained. More important than that, their command and control is much more advanced. I'm not a military nut, though. Perhaps someone with more experience can weigh in on those areas.

Let's not forget the greatest advantage that Iran has over Iraq: they're not diplomatically isolated. Iran would be impossible to attack, not because of any conventional or nuclear military ability; but because Russia, China, and dozens of other countries wouldn't abide it. Iraq had no such advantage in 1991 or 2003.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Iraq is also a much smaller country than Iran is. Both population-wise, 34 vs 76 million people. Tehran is also more than twice the size of Baghdad.

And in regards to land area.

Not only is Iran vastly larger, most of it is mountain ranges. So think of cities bigger than in Iraq, with countryside like in Afghanistan. You would have to be either utterly insane or be prepared to send in something like half a million soldiers to take control. USA just simply doesn't have resources for that.

Plus it'd seriously endanger oil trade because Iran controls the Strait of Hormuz and they are themselves a very big player in the market, something that Iraq wasn't in 2003.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Jesus Christ, I couldn't even imagine what kind of nightmare an invasion of Iran (especially if it is done at the same time as Iraq and Afghanistan!) would be. I think that just could do it for the U.S. You know, end it as a superpower.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus Christ, I couldn't even imagine what kind of nightmare an invasion of Iran (especially if it is done at the same time as Iraq and Afghanistan!) would be. I think that just could do it for the U.S. You know, end it as a superpower.

People forget just how big the US is. If the US wanted to I have no doubt it could take over Iran, but it would have to go into an actual war footing to do so; start up the draft, etc. Which isn't going to happen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

People forget just how big the US is. If the US wanted to I have no doubt it could take over Iran, but it would have to go into an actual war footing to do so; start up the draft, etc. Which isn't going to happen.

It's not so much people forgetting that, it just isn't within the realm of possible, just like so many other things. Eg. Soviet Union was a super power much bigger than Afghanistan, and if they could defeat Germany in WW2, then they surely COULD have brought peace and communism to A-stan. Even if millions of Russians died.

Had the US public truly reacted to 9/11 in a similar way to Pearl Harbor, they wouldn't have minded sending millions of men to hunt Al Qaida down and having hundreds of thousands KIA.

But no, such sacrifices are considered acceptable only when there is a real, acute, unavoidable existential threat.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Boiled Water posted:

How in your wildest of dreams have you imagined this to happen? And which war in Iraq is it?

The Iranian gov't is an even bigger boogyman to the US than Hussein. Someone once speculated to me that one of the secondary goals of having a bunch of American forces on the Iran-Iraq border, ready to push into that country.

Whether or not this was actually planned to happen or not, I have no idea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

The Iranian gov't is an even bigger boogyman to the US than Hussein. Someone once speculated to me that one of the secondary goals of having a bunch of American forces on the Iran-Iraq border, ready to push into that country.

The biggest worry already in 1991 with regards to invading Iraq was that the Iranian-backed Shias would get too much power, so I would say that speculation was mistaken.

So did I - already in 1991, nothing made that concern disappear in 12 years. Except in the minds of GWB's cabinet.
VVV

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 11, 2011

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Nenonen posted:

The biggest worry already in 1991 with regards to invading Iraq was that the Iranian-backed Shias would get too much power, so I would say that speculation was mistaken.

I meant the current Iraq war.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oxford Comma posted:

We were certainly thinking about it. Waaaay back, in the 3rd presidential debate in the 2004 campaign John Kerry cut one of his answers short and then went on a tangent about Iran. No reason, no connection to the question he was responding to, just "by the way, if we need to use force against Iran I'm all for it." And Iran's actually in the Axis of Evil, so it's certain the case against Iran was studied in detail.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mllaneza posted:

We were certainly thinking about it. Waaaay back, in the 3rd presidential debate in the 2004 campaign John Kerry cut one of his answers short and then went on a tangent about Iran. No reason, no connection to the question he was responding to, just "by the way, if we need to use force against Iran I'm all for it." And Iran's actually in the Axis of Evil, so it's certain the case against Iran was studied in detail.

'Use of force' is different from 'full on invasion', however. Israel has been threatening Iran with a use of force - ie. an airstrike on a nuclear facility. Ditto John McCain with his 'BombBombBombIran' song. Neither Israel nor John McCain are going to actually invade Iran.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
It makes sense that invading a flat, weakened, diplomatically-isolated country would be a lot easier than sending troops into Iran.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Diplomatic considerations aside, even just bombing Iran is not as simple as it seems. The IRIAF has not changed greatly since the end of the Iran-Iraq war (with the exception being all those Iraqi aircraft that flew to Iran) and it does not have a large amount of good planes, its biggest asset being 20-something operational F-14s. However, it has a lot of experienced personnel, an actual SAM network, and is looking to acquire more modern equipment, mainly either Su-30s or J-10s. The point being that even bombing Iran would provoke losses to the US/assorted allies, unlike the pre-war bombings of Iraq, or the missions over Libya now. The US would most likely be able to meet all of its objectives, but from a media/pr point of view it would not be cakewalk.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How are those F-14s still operational?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Saint Celestine posted:

Same way other 70's aircraft are still operational. Through maintenance and tech updates.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

I would imagine just like those 50s Fords in Cuba.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

Same way other 70's aircraft are still operational. Through maintenance and tech updates.

Yeah, but an F-14, I assume, is way more complex then a car, and its not like the US is giving them parts and updates. I guess they managed to learn how to maintain them on their own?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Yeah, but an F-14, I assume, is way more complex then a car, and its not like the US is giving them parts and updates. I guess they managed to learn how to maintain them on their own?

I would assume they would cannibalize some of the Tomcats for parts, get others through the black market, and such.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

They can probably do most of their training flights with more accessible planes.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Saint Celestine posted:

Well it's been 30 years. I'm guessing they probably figured out how to manufacture spares for them by now.

I don't think the Iranian F-14's have the ability to load Phoenix missiles, which kind of takes away the point of having a Tomcat in the first place. So basically they have a bunch of carrier interceptors without teeth and without a carrier.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Well it's been 30 years. I'm guessing they probably figured out how to manufacture spares for them by now.

I don't think the Iranian F-14's have the ability to load Phoenix missiles, which kind of takes away the point of having a Tomcat in the first place. So basically they have a bunch of carrier interceptors without teeth and without a carrier.

More importantly, they sure as gently caress aren't getting any more AIM-54s. I read that they actually rigged some of the Tomcats to be able to carry and fire goddamn Hawk missles from the SAM systems we sold them. How wild is that?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Iranian F-14As can fire the aim-54 and they have some in stock and it is recognized that they can manufacture some of the spare parts associated with the missile (like the the thermal batteries, which they nearly ran out of during Iran-Iraq). Now whether they have a lot of a few is a bit of a mystery, as are claims that they have developed their own copy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Iranian F-14As can fire the aim-54 and they have some in stock and it is recognized that they can manufacture some of the spare parts associated with the missile (like the the thermal batteries, which they nearly ran out of during Iran-Iraq). Now whether they have a lot of a few is a bit of a mystery, as are claims that they have developed their own copy.

Unless something has changed dramatically in the last two years Iran really doesn't have the capability to copy the Phoenix, in particular the nose cone. The Phoenix's radar was a ridiculously powerful and versatile thing, and its nose cone was made of a super high-tech ultra thin ceramic setup that had to be able to allow through a half dozen different electronic wavelengths and at the same time withstand the heat of traveling Mach 6 and however many Gs.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

bewbies posted:

Unless something has changed dramatically in the last two years Iran really doesn't have the capability to copy the Phoenix, in particular the nose cone. The Phoenix's radar was a ridiculously powerful and versatile thing, and its nose cone was made of a super high-tech ultra thin ceramic setup that had to be able to allow through a half dozen different electronic wavelengths and at the same time withstand the heat of traveling Mach 6 and however many Gs.
Well yes, thats why they're unconfirmed Iranian government claims, which aren't exactly the type of statement brimming with a history of credibility. Its known that they can and have produced replacements for other parts of the missile, but I agree with you in the sense that as far the most complicated (and vital) part of the weapon goes, they cannot manufacture their own. The point is that they can and do have some, and Iran has weapon systems that other NATO targets have not, and bombing it for whatever reason would be more serious as far as casualties go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If we're talking about attacking an Iranian enrichment facility, then I think USA would use cruise missiles at first like they always do. But the bigger question is what would happen next. Iran would certainly retaliate. It would also make it even harder for Iranian reformists to participate in Iranian politics. Neither are exactly things that the west wants.

Israel on the other hand is more concerned with stopping Iran from whatever they might be doing, and they have about as bad relations with Iran as it can get (apart from Iran starting to persecute Iranian Jews as enemy spies). But they don't have any of the luxuries that USA has - Iran is far from home, and the airspace between them is well guarded.

They did bomb Osirak by crossing through Saudi airspace in 1981, but the countries in the area have gotten much better air defense systems since then.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I cant say i envy Israel in this situation. If they decide to bomb the Iranian nuclear programme I support them whole heartedly. For them its like sitting in the same room with a man assembling a gun while saying "when this is done, im going to shoot you in the head"

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I wish Israel would've been made from a chunk of post-WW2 Germany, as some wanted.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GyverMac posted:

I cant say i envy Israel in this situation. If they decide to bomb the Iranian nuclear programme I support them whole heartedly. For them its like sitting in the same room with a man assembling a gun while saying "when this is done, im going to shoot you in the head"

What a ridiculously stupid statement.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GyverMac posted:

Except if he shoots Israel in the head his population is going to be devastated by nuclear fire so he won't do it.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What a ridiculously stupid statement.
I thought that the whole 'Iran is making nukes' was debunked? Cefte and Grover were going back and forth for quite a while on it in a d&d thread, can't dig it up without a big hassle from my phone though, sorry.

Anyone else know the thread I am talking about?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Herv posted:

I thought that the whole 'Iran is making nukes' was debunked? Cefte and Grover were going back and forth for quite a while on it in a d&d thread, can't dig it up without a big hassle from my phone though, sorry.

Anyone else know the thread I am talking about?

I didn't see the specific argument you're talking about, but the 2007 NIE on Iran's nuclear program is pretty straightforward in stating the consensus of the US intelligence community that Iran is not seeking nuclear weapons. Basically, information that emerged in 2006 indicated that the Iranian leadership was extremely intimidated by the Bush administration's recklessness over the Iraq war, not to mention the rapid collapse of Iraq:

WaPo posted:

Just after the lightning takeover of Baghdad by U.S. forces three years ago, an unusual two-page document spewed out of a fax machine at the Near East bureau of the State Department. It was a proposal from Iran for a broad dialogue with the United States, and the fax suggested everything was on the table -- including full cooperation on nuclear programs, acceptance of Israel and the termination of Iranian support for Palestinian militant groups.

But top Bush administration officials, convinced the Iranian government was on the verge of collapse, belittled the initiative. Instead, they formally complained to the Swiss ambassador who had sent the fax with a cover letter certifying it as a genuine proposal supported by key power centers in Iran, former administration officials said.

The Bush administration's spurning of this message was in fact yet another of the historic errors of that collection of jackasses, but it's still clear that Iran was quite fearful of the US and the international community following the fall of Baghdad. One of the outcomes of this period, according to the 2007 NIE I mentioned above, is that Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons was halted in 2003 and never resumed. Due to the senselessness of US policy in the Mideast (e.g. hand-delivering Iraq into Iran's sphere or influence) and their own shrewdness (e.g. their investment in Hezbollah), Iran's position has gotten much stronger since then and they are effectively one of the three dominant states in the region--Turkey, Israel, and Iran. Paradoxically one of the effects of Iran gaining influence in the Middle East is that it will probably make them more likely to behave in a fashion congenial to regional stability, because disrupting the status quo could endanger their position. Conversely, normalizing their status and retreating from the behavior of a rogue state (for example, by ceasing pursuit of nuclear weapons) would allow them to diplomatically apply the influence they have built for their own benefit.

It seems as though the Iranian leadership has realized this, and decided not to pursue nuclear weapons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The biggest problem with the idea that Iran is going to build a nuclear weapon and then right away use it against Israel is that... why would they do that? Israel has nukes too, and is sorta allied with with a superpower that also has them. From Iran's point of view Israel is the real danger, with all of their WMD's destabilizing the region. Exchanging nukes with Israel would not even be of any political worth for Iran because Jerusalem is a Muslim holy city and contaminating it would really annoy over a billion Muslims world wide.

We also know from history that countries that have developed nuclear weapons have been very hesitant to actually use them: only USA has done so and this was with low yield weapons at a time when people were not going to hesitate on using them (unlike with poisonous gases). China and USSR didn't nuke themselves out, neither have India and Pakistan. These weapons are more of a life insurance to guarantee that you don't get nuked by someone else.

The biggest danger with countries like Iran or Iraq developing such weapons is that if they fall into chaos, like Iraq did in 2003, there is the fear that such weapons could slip into the hands of terrorists who don't have any political limitations to worry about although them delivering an actual nuke to Israel is doubtful, and anyway Pakistan already has both nukes and also is a reserve for more terrorists than Iran (including late Osama bin Laden).

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if all nations wielded nukes and methods of delivering them to anywhere in the world. The defenders of nuclear weapons say that without nukes we'd had a WW3 by now. But if everybody had nukes, wouldn't we put an end to all wars forever?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

An Iranian nuclear program intended for immediate use against Israel would require the thousands of people involved all be suicide bombers.

A good argument against nukes is just Murphy's law; It's inevitable that SOMEONE/THING will gently caress up and destroy civilization. This is more true with faster delivery methods where NORAD or whoever have less time to figure out whether or not full-scale retaliation is the proper response. "Whoops, it was just a computer glitch! Boy is my face red and also melting".

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Delivery McGee posted:

I've read the after-action report on 73 Easting (and, sadly, lost the link). If you can find it, it'll answer your question -- there was a lot of friendly fire in that battle. I forget the Abrams-vs-Abrams stats (I think they are proof against their own silver bullets on the front and not so much on the sides, as you'd expect, but don't quote me), but the APC results were pretty funny -- drat near every shell hole in a Bradley (and there were quite a few Bradleys hit) was small and "slightly radioactive," which means depleted uranium penetrator, which means it came from an M1. The report does not say whether they were targeted or just drove between an M1 and a T72. Whatever the case, it turns out an APFSDS lawn dart doesn't do much to a lightly-armored APC, it just goes through and leaves a tiny hole and the crew barely notices. The only friendly-fire hard kill was one Bradley putting a TOW missile into another.

How the gently caress does the bradley crew not notice a 2km/s, pyrophoric, long rod penetrator spalling the gently caress outta the insides of their vehicle?
:psyduck:

• Locked thread