Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Edit: CM7 for Evo 3D link for new page

:woop: Don't really care about any of those bugs so I can't wait to flash it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Leathal posted:

:hfive:

Got it flashed and installed all my junk, I did run into one problem where it would sit at 'installing' forever until I did a reboot. Once I rebooted the installation issue went away and I could install apps again. Other than that I haven't ran into any problems. So awesome to finally have CM7 on this beast.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What's the best free twitter app for the 3D?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Q_res posted:

What's the best free twitter app for the 3D?

I like twicca, but it's all personal preference -- there are half a dozen very solid android twitter clients, and at least 3% of the internet is devoted to the ongoing debate.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I use Hootsuite for work so I downloaded the app, seems decent

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Your choices are going to be Seesmic, Plume, Twitter for Android, Twicca, HootSuite, TweetDeck, UberSocial, and TweetCaster.

So just go ahead and try them all.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Skeezy posted:

Your choices are going to be Seesmic, Plume, Twitter for Android, Twicca, HootSuite, TweetDeck, UberSocial, and TweetCaster.

So just go ahead and try them all.

At once. I can just imagine the notification spam...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

All at once is the only way to go. It's what I do :smug:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Krittick posted:

Will try this and then the retention's number. Thanks guys. :)

Finally had time to call and ask for an advanced exchange. Supposedly it's being sent out but I never received a confirmation email or anything. I'll see if I get anything within the next 7-10 days or so.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
My EVO3D randomly started forgetting what the battery level is - the icon displays as a grey battery with an exclamation mark. Checking the battery status in the settings menu fixes it.. for a while. Has anyone else seen this?

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
Is there a fee for activating a phone via the online activation? I don't think there used to be, but you never know if that's changed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Battle Cattle posted:

My EVO3D randomly started forgetting what the battery level is - the icon displays as a grey battery with an exclamation mark. Checking the battery status in the settings menu fixes it.. for a while. Has anyone else seen this?

Battery calibration can get wonky if you are frequently charging your battery in short bursts instead of draining it to something low and then charging to full. Try turning it off and charging it to full, then turning it on while plugged in.

Other than that, go buy a new battery.

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.

toybux posted:

Is there a fee for activating a phone via the online activation? I don't think there used to be, but you never know if that's changed.

It's kind of hidden way down in the OP, but it says "PLEASE NOTE: SPRINT.COM NO LONGER WAIVES $36 AND $18 FEES."

I wish this wasn't the case, but I don't think there's any way to avoid it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Xtopher posted:

It's kind of hidden way down in the OP, but it says "PLEASE NOTE: SPRINT.COM NO LONGER WAIVES $36 AND $18 FEES."

I wish this wasn't the case, but I don't think there's any way to avoid it.
Order through telesales over the phone. It's *7 if dialing from a Sprint phone. Steven in the Phillipines was able to waive the upgrade fee without even asking for manager approval. The incentive to waive the new line activation fee should be even greater.

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.

goku chewbacca posted:

Order through telesales over the phone. It's *7 if dialing from a Sprint phone. Steven in the Phillipines was able to waive the upgrade fee without even asking for manager approval. The incentive to waive the new line activation fee should be even greater.

Is EPRP possible via telesales though?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Leathal posted:

Trip report: CM7 alpha is very alpha, yet still much nicer to use than any Sense based ROM. Unfortunately, one of the kernel bugs locks the battery percentage around 90% so I had to go back to Sense until that gets fixed. It's kind of important to me to know how much battery I have left.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Leathal posted:

Trip report: CM7 alpha is very alpha, yet still much nicer to use than any Sense based ROM. Unfortunately, one of the kernel bugs locks the battery percentage around 90% so I had to go back to Sense until that gets fixed. It's kind of important to me to know how much battery I have left.

Leathal, after the amazing work you did for us on WebOS I am holding off based on your recommendation alone. I can't wait to get some form of AOSP on my E3D with no real pitfalls.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mom never did get that Optimus, but now she's finally ready to upgrade. She's looking at a Shift right now, but at $99, I don't know, the $29 Nexus S looks pretty drat tempting...

Of course, the Optimus is still around, but seems less favorable in comparison now. What's the best Android mom phone these days?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to go ahead and use the CM7 alpha as a daily. It may have bugs but HOLY poo poo SO FAST.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Is the Galaxy II S still supposedly going to come out this Friday the 16th?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Mom never did get that Optimus, but now she's finally ready to upgrade. She's looking at a Shift right now, but at $99, I don't know, the $29 Nexus S looks pretty drat tempting...

Of course, the Optimus is still around, but seems less favorable in comparison now. What's the best Android mom phone these days?

Don't bother with the Shift, it's the poorly supported sibling of the Evo 4G. If you want a cheap phone, get the Nexus for sure, at least it will get ICS someday where the Shift will probably never see an update again.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jeratain posted:

Leathal, after the amazing work you did for us on WebOS I am holding off based on your recommendation alone. I can't wait to get some form of AOSP on my E3D with no real pitfalls.

In the mean time, try out CleanROM from XDA. Someone in the rooted thread said they installed it just fine over their stock ROM, but I did a clean wipe. It's awesome, much smoother and has some really nice little tweaks.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Yeah, CleanROM is what I currently use as well.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Slashgear review of Samsung Epic Touch 4G

I wonder how the hell this thing is benching slower than the euro version? I thought they were using the same processor.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

In the mean time, try out CleanROM from XDA. Someone in the rooted thread said they installed it just fine over their stock ROM, but I did a clean wipe. It's awesome, much smoother and has some really nice little tweaks.

Definitely agree, although I had to disable animations because the delay to show them started to bug me.

EDIT:

moolchaba posted:

I wonder how the hell this thing is benching slower than the euro version? I thought they were using the same processor.

I wouldn't lend Samsung a crowbar for fear that it would not be returned in working order.

Although the reviewer is pretty awful:

quote:

We saw average download speeds of 4Mbps and upload speeds of 1.8Mbps. Contrast that with the 13Mbps downloads and 3Mbps uploads we saw on LTE with the DROID BIONIC, and it’s clear WiMAX falls short.

I can get 10Mbps download on the 3D over 4G, so it's either their local coverage or the phone itself. It has nothing to do with WiMAX technology in general, but accuracy is not important I guess.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 14, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

Definitely agree, although I had to disable animations because the delay to show them started to bug me.

That's a shame, I haven't ran into that yet thankfully. Even without them though the ROM is pretty great, adds a lot of little stuff without loving with the core functionality of the OS.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

That's a shame, I haven't ran into that yet thankfully. Even without them though the ROM is pretty great, adds a lot of little stuff without loving with the core functionality of the OS.

The animations still run the same speed, they just take longer than no animations. Definitely preference, not performance.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

moolchaba posted:

Quadrant is a bad benchmark. Here's why. Also, the tests don't render properly on 2.3 and they're up against the 60 fps vsync cap on the latest hardware.

AnandTech posted:

Last and definitely least (at least in my mind) on the list is Quadrant, which has unfortunately become something of a de-facto one stop shop for benchmarking Android devices, famously spitting out one easy to digest score. Grab the pro version, and you get subtest scores. Its developers aren't very open about what all is being tested in the suite, the overall score is heavily skewed by I/O performance. Moreover the subtests themselves don't seem heavy enough for this current, much less upcoming, generation of SoCs. Benchmarking tools are rapidly evolving in the mobile space, and I expect to see far better tools quickly displace ones like Quadrant.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

The animations still run the same speed, they just take longer than no animations. Definitely preference, not performance.

Ah ok, yeah they do take a little time but at least for now it still falls under 'cool new toy' feel. I do wish they'd added the CRT on/off animation from AOSP though, that's the one thing I miss from CM7.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

big mean giraffe posted:

Ah ok, yeah they do take a little time but at least for now it still falls under 'cool new toy' feel. I do wish they'd added the CRT on/off animation from AOSP though, that's the one thing I miss from CM7.

Check the ROM Updater app in CleanROM. It has various tweaks you can flash directly from the app, including CRT animations and various overscroll options.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

Check the ROM Updater app in CleanROM. It has various tweaks you can flash directly from the app, including CRT animations and various overscroll options.

Yeah I just found that a minute ago, it's kind of a lovely interface but has some cool stuff there.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

Don't bother with the Shift, it's the poorly supported sibling of the Evo 4G. If you want a cheap phone, get the Nexus for sure, at least it will get ICS someday where the Shift will probably never see an update again.

Well, my wife loves her (still 2.2) Shift, and I think my Mom would be more comfortable with a hardware keyboard, since she's coming from a Rant. And I will not let her buy an Epic.

So, I dunno... the Nexus being $29 is a crazy deal. I guess I should just give her a list of top contenders and have her go to a store and play with them.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Well, my wife loves her (still 2.2) Shift, and I think my Mom would be more comfortable with a hardware keyboard, since she's coming from a Rant. And I will not let her buy an Epic.

So, I dunno... the Nexus being $29 is a crazy deal. I guess I should just give her a list of top contenders and have her go to a store and play with them.

Show her Swype and she'll be fine with no keyboard. Most "I want a physical keyboard" people can be easily be swayed with that alone, at least that I've tried.

Godzilla07 posted:

Quadrant is a bad benchmark. Here's why. Also, the tests don't render properly on 2.3 and they're up against the 60 fps vsync cap on the latest hardware.

They can run benchmarks until they're blue in the face as long as someone will use some form of consistent battery test instead of vague terms like "moderate use".

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 14, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
After restoring the phone, the battery life has gotten somewhere closer to acceptable.

I'm thinking that after the iPhone 5 and ICS news I might just go on eBay and buy a Photon. It just looks and feels nicer than the EVO or EVO 3D to me.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Matlock posted:

I'm thinking that after the iPhone 5 and ICS news I might just go on eBay and buy a Photon. It just looks and feels nicer than the EVO or EVO 3D to me.

What news is this?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

What news is this?

I'm under the assumption that there will be news about Ice Cream Sandwich devices, as well as the probability of the iPhone 5 on Sprint, within the first two weeks of October.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Oh, yeah. I thought you knew something additional about either one of those not coming out soonish and were going with the Photon instead. My bad.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I figure the eBay prices of the Photon will take a hit on those sorts of announcements. :shobon:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There is a Sprint/iPhone thread in YOSPOS, the latest rumor linked there is that the iPhone 4 is what Sprint will get next month, and then the iPhone 5 will be a tri-carrier simultaneous release next spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
This may be an old topic to bring up, but I was wondering if the issues I have been having with my Epic 4G were out of the ordinary.

Since I bought it a year ago, the phone randomly locks up and freezes to the point where I have t pull out the battery. I have rooted the phone, installed every conceivable update and the thing is still a buggy piece of poo poo.

Is this common with this phone? Is there anything I can do? I am only one year into my two year plan and I'd hate to have to drop another $300 on a phone.