Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Aw, I think Annie and Jack are friends again :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Well, my cunning plan failed. Time to self-immolate.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well, my cunning plan failed. Time to selfJack-immolate.
This seems more likely. "Want to see a real flash of anger?"

edit: VVVVV I don't really see Annie as "snapping" as so much just letting a lot of resentment fester. In today's strip she realizes that she's been silly and that for the past few strips Jack was just winding her up. Keep in mind she's not all that good at reading people.

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 12, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What happened between the last panel of the last comic and the first panel of this comic? I can't help but feel that Annie hit a level of anger where she'd snapped and automatically faked being nice to work even worse revenge. Again. Although the last few panels of this may have thrown a kink in that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 12, 2011

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MikeJF posted:

What happened between the last panel of the last comic and the first panel of this comic? I can't help but feel that Annie hit a level of anger where she'd snapped and automatically faked being nice to work even worse revenge. Again. Although the last few panels of this may have thrown a kink in that.

She got angry and then realised being angry was stupid. A lot of you seem to be having a lot of trouble following the emotions in the chapter and I don't get it, they are really obvious.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Whenever you're confused by the emotions, remind yourself these kids are 14 and are acting like 14 year olds do. That should clear up all misunderstandings.

Also what happened between the last panel of the last comic and the first panel of this one is "Annie realized Jack was making a joke about Zimmy, and being mad about a joke is stupid."

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Whew! For a minute there I thought there'd be some resolved tension, but Jack came back swinging with an Uncomfortable Truth. Good ol' Jack.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wait a second, am I to understand that Jack's parents are velociraptors?

Also Annie is undoing her hair, poo poo's about to get real. :ohdear:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I love Jack's face in the fifth panel.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

A lot of you seem to be having a lot of trouble following the emotions in the chapter and I don't get it, they are really obvious.

You say this like it's a recent development, and not the defining characteristic of Gunnerkrigg fans.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Little known fact- Zimmy is actually a natural blonde, but no one has ever seen it.

Edit: Oh look, there's a whole nother page of posts that I missed. Have some context.

Fecha posted:

Yet again I liked the comment below the comic best. Also, I think Annie is about to whip her hair back and forth. (That or do some fancy magic trick.)

Pester fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 12, 2011

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kismet posted:

You say this like it's a recent development, and not the defining characteristic of Gunnerkrigg fans.

Nonsense, I've known what Eglamore has been feeling this entire chapter.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

FunkyAl posted:

Nonsense, I've known what Eglamore has been feeling this entire chapter.

Is that guy Eglamore?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

A lot of you seem to be having a lot of trouble following the emotions in the chapter and I don't get it, they are really obvious.

Quoting this again because I just realised why Gunnerkrigg fans want everyone to be robots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
People actually acting like people (especially teenagers acting like teenagers) are rare in media in general. Most of the time people are just caricatures or pawns of drama, just doing whatever the viewer can follow the most easily and whatever can produce the most drama. Almost like little trope machines, TV Tropers love this poo poo.

Teenagers actually doing stupid poo poo that doesn't make sense because they are emotional teenagers is so rare as to be shocking.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I am an emotional adult and I indulge in... imprudent things from time to time.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

People actually acting like people (especially teenagers acting like teenagers) are rare in media in general. Most of the time people are just caricatures or pawns of drama, just doing whatever the viewer can follow the most easily and whatever can produce the most drama. Almost like little trope machines, TV Tropers love this poo poo.

Teenagers actually doing stupid poo poo that doesn't make sense because they are emotional teenagers is so rare as to be shocking.

I'm starting to think that whenever the characters in Gunnerkrigg act like teenagers, this topic momentarily becomes the gooniest place on SA with the influx of people that can not grasp how human emotion works.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

LtStorm posted:

I'm starting to think that whenever the characters in Gunnerkrigg act like teenagers, this topic momentarily becomes the gooniest place on SA with the influx of people that can not grasp how human emotion works.

lol u htink Annie will beat up Jack with magic for teasing her in this strip? No???? maybe THIS one????? IDGI what is happening why is thar no hilarious violence :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
More paintings:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Is it wrong that I want Tom to have enough time to do commissions again just so I can get him to draw Phineas and Ferb characters?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He's done some other fanarts, so you could start watching/reading these and pretend you requested the art.

(Adventure Time and Monster Pulse)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If this is what teenagers are like, I feel justified in my continuing scorn for them.

Gotta say, though, I dig Jack's style. He sees things the way they are and doesn't take poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

Is that guy Eglamore?
No, it's Gamma's mom.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Evil Sagan posted:

If this is what teenagers are like, I feel justified in my continuing scorn for them.

Gotta say, though, I dig Jack's style. He sees things the way they are and doesn't take poo poo.
Were you never a teenager? :confused:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Fecha posted:

Were you never a teenager? :confused:

Yeah. I was a real poo poo. Apparently that's the standard.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I don't like you now to be honest.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I don't think the last panel of the previous comic is her being angry. The third-to-the-last-panel of the previous comic is her being angry. I think the last panel of the previous comic appears to be her transitioning from angry to being confused (as she processed Jack's comment). I think. (Compare to last panel of 928.) Not sure what the little anger lines radiating are supposed to indicate, though, if that's the case. (Well, the Lexicon of Comicana appears to indicate they're used for shock/surprise, but they're used a few panels early on what seems to just be anger. And then there's the last panel of http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=859 where I don't know what they mean, except maybe 'expressing emotion'. Maybe I'm being an idiot here, but since there's no manual I don't feel too bad about it.)

I'd rather see people going on record with their opinions of what emotions are being expressed than see people poopoo-ing the plebian ignorants/aspergerants yet somehow not going on record and having to risk being wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People criticising us for not being sure as to the emotions at this point should keep in mind that half of the Annie/Jack part of this chapter has been deception and falsehood on that front, so it's not inconceivable to wonder about that some more, especially on fast turnarounds like the anger at the end of last comic to the friendliness at the start of this one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 13, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Personally I think all of this is Jack throwing up a smokescreen to distract Annie from the fact that he 'borrowed' the blinker stone momentarily and hasn't returned it.

Of course this speculation quite likely be disproven very quickly...

EDIT: But if so, it's a masterstroke because the stories in this chapter have been about alternatingly being haunted by unfinished business, and people walking off with your things while blinding you with lovey-dovey stuff. While Annie wasn't there to hear either of those stories...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 13, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Fangz posted:

Personally I think all of this is Jack throwing up a smokescreen to distract Annie from the fact that he 'borrowed' the blinker stone momentarily and hasn't returned it.

Of course this speculation quite likely be disproven very quickly...

EDIT: But if so, it's a masterstroke because the stories in this chapter have been about alternatingly being haunted by unfinished business, and people walking off with your things while blinding you with lovey-dovey stuff. While Annie wasn't there to hear either of those stories...

Can't Annie just return the blinker stone to herself at will though?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Luminaflare posted:

Yeah, but it boils down to reaching out with an astral projection and just grabbing the sucker. Presumably someone with sufficient ætheric talent could keep a hold of it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tardstar posted:

I don't like you now to be honest.

It's cool. You'll understand when you're older.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Luminaflare posted:

Usually yes, but we've seen how that worked out with Jeanne. Not sure if we've had an explanation why that happened though. Also she might not immediately realize it is gone...

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Male Man posted:

Yeah, but it boils down to reaching out with an astral projection and just grabbing the sucker. Presumably someone with sufficient ætheric talent could keep a hold of it.

I rather imagine that trying to grab it back from Jack in that way is going to result in a mischevious scamp face and astral spider webs.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

And a happy ending :)
Also can I just say I love how punctual the updates are? All webcomics should aim for this!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Any reason why the comic updates at midnight PST? I thought Tom was in the UK.

Not complaining, just wondering.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Milli posted:

And a happy ending :)
Also can I just say I love how punctual the updates are? All webcomics should aim for this!

Pretty sure Tom has one of, if not the, biggest buffers in webcomics currently. I think he's made a comic to the tone of, we wouldn't know he was dead for 3 months or so based on comic updates alone? Or was it 6 months? Something crazy like that, anyway.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Everyone knows Jack has only forgiven her because she changed her hair.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And Jack's cunning plan to get all the smooches is revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

Any reason why the comic updates at midnight PST? I thought Tom was in the UK.

Not complaining, just wondering.

Might be the timezone his hosting is in.