Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin's first birthday is coming up and I want to make him a dog cake. How can I do this thing for him? He gets more awesome every day, but drat does he talk a lot. He also can run really fast and jump like a maniac off two legs for his ball. His quads are freaking ripped. He is also HUGENORMOUS. I weighed him today: 31 lbs and ain't no fat on him. More pics forthcoming!

Though not cake, we make frosty paws. Vanilla yogurt, bananas, peanut butter and honey. Blend them up. Freeze them in whatever you like. I know people who use ice cube trays, pop em out as a small treat. We use Tupperware. The recipe I got this from said use Dixie cups, then you just rip em off before you give them to the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin's first birthday is coming up and I want to make him a dog cake. How can I do this thing for him? He gets more awesome every day, but drat does he talk a lot. He also can run really fast and jump like a maniac off two legs for his ball. His quads are freaking ripped. He is also HUGENORMOUS. I weighed him today: 31 lbs and ain't no fat on him. More pics forthcoming!

My dogs go nuts for sweet potatoes & butternut squash (and a lot of other random vegetables). You could roast a few, then mush it up enough, maybe with some oatmeal, to make a "cake". The squash is really unlikely to upset Corwin's stomach, since it's basically the same thing as pumpkin and is chock full of fiber.

I'm going to make that "frosty paws" concoction for my mutts sometime too. They'd totally be into it, I'm sure, especially if I use lots of bananas (which they think are just giant dog treats).

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
According to Wikipedia, apparently carob is safe for dogs to eat. You could make a carob cake for him and eat some of it yourself too!

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
Found out a friend of mine has a friend that breeds Corgis and currently has 15 of them. I can't wait to visit and I will post pictures.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace's 3rd birthday was yesterday so he got a 6 pack of bowser beer. Cock a doodle brew flavor.

He loved it. :3:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Holy poo poo, there is basically a huge corgipalooza next month in the town 20 minutes away from me. Totally taking Nova to this.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kerafyrm posted:

Holy poo poo, there is basically a huge corgipalooza next month in the town 20 minutes away from me. Totally taking Nova to this.

Oh! I was just looking at this event today and thinking of going! We should totally throw our corgis at each other! :)

Cassie is 4 months old and finishing up her puppy class. Here are some pictures from the last month or so of her being a big ol jerk.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Panzer Skank posted:

Oh! I was just looking at this event today and thinking of going! We should totally throw our corgis at each other! :)

Definitely! I live in Austin, and our corgis are about the same age (Nova is 4.5 months and small for her age) so they'd probably get along fabulously. Feel free to PM me if you wanna set up something.

Here's my drowned rat dog on an outing to the springs.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I'm dyin here. I think I need to get puppy #2 now..

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Awwwww! Puppies!

Orbit is now 100% done with all his shots and is 19 lbs already! We found a new vet who also has a Cardigan Corgi, which is great. I know there are at least 3, maybe 4 other corgis in our tiny little town. I'm planning a hangout.

Here are some ears for you, with a bonus cat and treibball ball:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

aliceamadee posted:

Awwwww! Puppies!

Orbit is now 100% done with all his shots and is 19 lbs already! We found a new vet who also has a Cardigan Corgi, which is great. I know there are at least 3, maybe 4 other corgis in our tiny little town. I'm planning a hangout.

Here are some ears for you, with a bonus cat and treibball ball:

Aww Orbit's growing up! So cute, he looks a lot like Josie. I can't tell from the picture, but does he have nose freckles too?

Is your treibball just an exercise ball? Or did you have to get something special? I think Josie might like treibball. She likes to bump tennis balls around our patio with her nose and paws.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

anachrodragon posted:

Aww Orbit's growing up! So cute, he looks a lot like Josie. I can't tell from the picture, but does he have nose freckles too?

Is your treibball just an exercise ball? Or did you have to get something special? I think Josie might like treibball. She likes to bump tennis balls around our patio with her nose and paws.

Yeah it's crazy how much he's growing! And yes, he DOES have nose freckles!

The treibball is a totally normal exercise ball. He can target it smoothly now, and can push cabinet doors closed with his nose, so we're about to start working on push on the ball. He tries to herd EVERYTHING so I thought this might be fun for him to learn. We're trying to figure out how much "boring" stuff to work on (like recall/ leash walking) and how much "fun" stuff (tricks).

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Here is the birthday boy, one whole year old!

Happy birthday, Li'l Bubs, you are a big man now! (Literally, at 31 lbs.)

Many more pics to come, just thought I'd share this one before I get on a plane. :)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Wonder Bra posted:

Here is the birthday boy, one whole year old!

Happy birthday, Li'l Bubs, you are a big man now! (Literally, at 31 lbs.)

Many more pics to come, just thought I'd share this one before I get on a plane. :)

What a great picture!!!!!!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
So uh, this happened.

Apparently 6-7 week old puppies think that clothes and shoes are delicious.

She has the darkest little eyes in her fluffy white face, and she was the only one who whined and jumped when I got up to leave the puppy pen. Her breeder says she's the stand-out agility prospect of the litter and that he was pretty bummed that she had the mismark, because her conformation is decent otherwise.

I did a very unscientific test to make sure we don't need to do a BAER later, and she definitely paid attention to me when I made a stupid noise at her. We pick her up on Friday and we need a name, because my husband wants to call her Snowcone and uhhhh.

Eeeeee I have a puppy!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Holy crap, congrats. Where's she from? Let's see some links to the rest of the litter!

I have a soft spot for mismarks. She looks a LOT like the pup I first had my eye on from Cohen's litter. Only, well, a Corgi.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

a life less posted:

Holy crap, congrats. Where's she from? Let's see some links to the rest of the litter!

I have a soft spot for mismarks. She looks a LOT like the pup I first had my eye on from Cohen's litter. Only, well, a Corgi.

She's from Afara/Paul Chen, the BIS BISS AM GrCH Xtacee Dancin In The Moonlight x Afara Make a Wish litter.

Her brothers and sister:

This guy has the BLUEST eyes. They think he's a cryptic merle, but since he doesn't actually show any merling, he's not showable either.

Her lone sister, who as far as I could tell has a real "oh, you want me to what? Well gently caress THAAAAAAT" personality. Cute, but not real biddable yet.

And their father, who I gather is the #3 Cardigan in the country right now:

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

ButWhatIf posted:

So uh, this happened.

Apparently 6-7 week old puppies think that clothes and shoes are delicious.

She has the darkest little eyes in her fluffy white face, and she was the only one who whined and jumped when I got up to leave the puppy pen. Her breeder says she's the stand-out agility prospect of the litter and that he was pretty bummed that she had the mismark, because her conformation is decent otherwise.

I did a very unscientific test to make sure we don't need to do a BAER later, and she definitely paid attention to me when I made a stupid noise at her. We pick her up on Friday and we need a name, because my husband wants to call her Snowcone and uhhhh.

Eeeeee I have a puppy!

Very cute--but with all that head white, and merle behind her, etc. pony up the 20$ and get the BAER test done. It's worth it to know if you have a unilateral pup, as it can have behavioural implications down the road. (And yes, a uni puppy can hear you making squeaking noises!) Actually, I'm kinda surprised the whole litter wasn't tested, but maybe BAER isn't a CHIC requirement in Cardis?

Good lord, the cute. :3: Have fun with her; as for names, how about "Weisswurst?" or "Flocon" or "Drift?" or "Milou"? White names are fun; I'm already storing them up in case we get a white Ibizan!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

badmomrising posted:

Very cute--but with all that head white, and merle behind her, etc. pony up the 20$ and get the BAER test done. It's worth it to know if you have a unilateral pup, as it can have behavioural implications down the road. (And yes, a uni puppy can hear you making squeaking noises!) Actually, I'm kinda surprised the whole litter wasn't tested, but maybe BAER isn't a CHIC requirement in Cardis?

Good lord, the cute. :3: Have fun with her; as for names, how about "Weisswurst?" or "Flocon" or "Drift?" or "Milou"? White names are fun; I'm already storing them up in case we get a white Ibizan!

I may get the test done, but I did see pigment in both ears, so it'll probably get done further down the road. She's technically not a merle, herself, and according to the breeder, the only time he's ever heard of hearing problems in Cardis is in double merles.

And I'm definitely feeling Snowdrift or Drift right now. It'll be a matter of convincing the husband to drop the name Snowcone - our dog is not a summer snack!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
It's time for more Corwin, with a dash of Rupert! (Pics of Rupert wearing a tie have also just been posted to Random Nonsense, and a few more to Post Your Pets since they didn't all seem to fit into one thread.)

Corwin say woof.

Double Corgi... what does it mean??

Derr?

Plop.

Dog and cat. Cat and dog.

Head-tilt?

I kill you!

The mighty corgi. So majestic:

Bedtime

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

I may get the test done, but I did see pigment in both ears, so it'll probably get done further down the road. She's technically not a merle, herself, and according to the breeder, the only time he's ever heard of hearing problems in Cardis is in double merles.

And I'm definitely feeling Snowdrift or Drift right now. It'll be a matter of convincing the husband to drop the name Snowcone - our dog is not a summer snack!

I did some reading up on pattern headed when I was looking at that white headed Aussie puppy I showed you. Basically while hearing loss is less likely when it's pattern white vs homozygous merle, it still is a risk since the mechanism for the development for pigmentless cells is tied to the development of the cells in the inner ear. You can't determine a dog's hearing status by looking at the visible hair near by or in the ears.

The odds are definitely way in your favour, but a hearing test is something I'd definitely consider soonish.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Wonder Bra posted:

It's time for more Corwin, with a dash of Rupert! (Pics of Rupert wearing a tie have also just been posted to Random Nonsense, and a few more to Post Your Pets since they didn't all seem to fit into one thread.)

HE IS SO HANDSOME!

I can't wait until Orbit fills out more and gets fluffier!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Corwin is adorable and you're a great photographer. I'm afraid me and my camera phone make Ace look nowhere near as cute as he really is.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
So aliceamadee reminded me that I have a question regarding coat length. Corwin definitely isn't a fluffy, as it isn't in his genes. And the fluffies I have seen are much longer-coated than he is. But many people seem confused by his coat length and seem to think he is a fluffy.

It's true that there are a lot of short-haired corgis around here. (Particularly some of the more poorly bred dogs-- which is NOT, not to say that all very short-coated corgis are ill-bred!) The dogs we saw at the dog show here early this year all had coats of a similar length to Corwin, which is to say, their coats are what I consider to be a standard length.

When people ask about his coat or why he has such "long" hair, how do I best describe it? Is there a word for his length of coat? Is there a way to be like "oh, he's not a fluffy" without getting all sperglord about it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some amazing photos, as always. Corwin's all grown up. :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Orbit met another Cardigan, Teddy, on Saturday! Teddy is shy of cameras (even camera phones like mine), and Orbit is very wiggly and excited around other dogs, so I couldn't get any really good photos, but here are a couple. Teddy on the left, Orbit on the right. Teddy was a puppy mill breeder dog before he got rescued by his current owner, and his tail is docked even though he's a Cardigan.

Then yesterday we took Orbit to the dog park and got some derpy looks:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Whoooooooo has a puppy dump!

The crate and toys are all prepped...

The bed's all ready...

All we need is a puppy! (not pictured: banshee-like shrieks in the car and on the ferry)

Tasty nylabone!

Chomp chomp chomp

Tiny spaces are best.

Fluffy and delicious

So ferocious!

widdle puppeh

All tuckered out.

Well, uh, that's an interesting way to sleep.

Gonna have to work on this whole "leash" thing.

floop

sprawl

Who's a cutie puppy? YOU ARE! YOU ARE!

How is that comfortable?

Not a morning person.

Tickle tickle tickle!

Yes, minions, adore me.

Her name is Neigé, which is French for "snowing."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Great looking pup!

Get ready to be amazed by Corgi-sleep. They can get in any position, and any reasonable person thinks the dog's blood supply should be cut off or bones should be broken but I think corgis' skeletons just turn into mashed potatoes when they decide to sleep.

Also without Nylabones I'm pretty sure Taziki would eat our house. When she gets super excited and we're dead tired she runs over and starts biting on them so hard I think to chew out her energy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Aw man it's so nice that puppies can get tired out so quickly sometimes...of course when they're awake they're usually destroying something, but at least it wears them out

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Nova made friends with a Shiba puppy at the dog park. Me and the owners, who are a young couple roughly my age, hit it off and exchanged numbers for puppy playdates.

This is the best picture I got. They were going a mile a minute for nearly two hours and all I had was my cell phone. It's a combination of derp and blur!

Bonus blurry mudpup:

Edit: Oh, and might I add, lordy that Shiba pup makes some godawful noises while playing. :gonk: The owners actually know about Shibas, though, and are doing a good job with him. He's well socialized.

Edit #2: Yes, the only fenced in dog park in this city looks like crap right now. No rain = no grass. The unfenced dog parks are prettier, but I don't trust her off leash there yet.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 20, 2011

Veegie
Jan 6, 2011

Minka exploring the new park.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know this is a stretch, but does anyone know of a place around Philadelphia where I might have a chance adopting a 1-2 year old Corgi?

I don't want a Puppy because we don't have the time to dedicate to training it, but I want something young, and I'll feel better about myself adopting. Taziki needs a play buddy during the day while we make money for her endless supply of toys and treats.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

I know this is a stretch, but does anyone know of a place around Philadelphia where I might have a chance adopting a 1-2 year old Corgi?

I don't want a Puppy because we don't have the time to dedicate to training it, but I want something young, and I'll feel better about myself adopting. Taziki needs a play buddy during the day while we make money for her endless supply of toys and treats.

We're right outside Philly, so I'll keep an ear out for you. We'll probably be doing this exact search in a year or so! If you're not seeing anything on petfinder, have you tried the corgi clubs in the area? They'll be in touch with breeders looking for rehomes.

cardigans: http://delvalcardigans.com/index.html (we're not a member yet but I'd like to be)
pembrokes: http://www.pwcorgiclubgs.org/ (nj)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Another low-res picture. (God, I need to actually take more pictures with my camera instead of my phone.)

She looks so surprised.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Josie sleeps in the weirdest positions, and then she's like "what's your problem?" when you wake her up taking a picture.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ahhhh nova is so grown up!

I love Josie too. What a face!

Orbit started agility and loooooooves it so far. We are obviously keeping it super slow and casual while he is still young and growing. Any other agility corgis here? Our trainer was so excited to get a corgi!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Ahhhh nova is so grown up!

I love Josie too. What a face!

Orbit started agility and loooooooves it so far. We are obviously keeping it super slow and casual while he is still young and growing. Any other agility corgis here? Our trainer was so excited to get a corgi!

Neigé will be starting it as soon as she's a bit older... 10 weeks is still a little young, I think. My husband has hinted, though, that I will be receiving some agility-related things for my birthday this month, so I'll probably play around with that and read up on how to introduce the non-high impact obstacles.

And because I can't remember the last time I posted any photos of the wee beastie:

Her ears at 9 weeks. Starting to come up!

Playing with her ONLY squeaky toy (I am cruel but sane).

One ear up, one ear not so up.

Smoosh dog eat my couch.

Uncle Lenny the Pomeranian steals her bed.

Then teaches her to play bitey-face!

furbabby (excuse the hideous clothes...those were the only clean shorts I could find for bathtime)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Neigé will be starting it as soon as she's a bit older... 10 weeks is still a little young, I think. My husband has hinted, though, that I will be receiving some agility-related things for my birthday this month, so I'll probably play around with that and read up on how to introduce the non-high impact obstacles.

The place I'm going to had an agility for puppies class that I wish I'd known about when Orbit was younger. He's only 5 months though, so it's not like we're starting late!

We don't have our own backyard-- there are lawn areas outside our back door, but we share them (apartment complex) and although I can throw equipment out there if I want to, there are offleash dogs back there sometimes, and I don't want to encourage him to run through a tunnel or do a jump as fast as he can for fear he'll run off fast some place else. We might get a mini tunnel for inside though...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

aliceamadee posted:

The place I'm going to had an agility for puppies class that I wish I'd known about when Orbit was younger. He's only 5 months though, so it's not like we're starting late!

We don't have our own backyard-- there are lawn areas outside our back door, but we share them (apartment complex) and although I can throw equipment out there if I want to, there are offleash dogs back there sometimes, and I don't want to encourage him to run through a tunnel or do a jump as fast as he can for fear he'll run off fast some place else. We might get a mini tunnel for inside though...

The puppy agility classes are normally more about getting pups comfortable on new surfaces and going over/under/through things, plus listening to their handler when there are other playful pups around. The biggest challenge is probably the wobble board, which is the precursor to the teeter, since it shifts as the pup walks across it, and can make a bit of noise.

Don't worry, you're not missing too much, and you can do some of that at home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

a life less posted:

listening to their handler when there are other playful pups around.

Orbit in general really needs to learn to settle down when other dogs are around. He wants to play/ bark/ explore, and has a hard time sitting still and being quiet when we're not at home. He had a really tough time in our puppy obedience class because not only did he have to concentrate and be quiet, BUT the tricks we were doing weren't really very fun for him, so he didn't get a great payoff for being quiet. Running and jumping on all the obstacles is something he really seemed to enjoy a lot (the "go to your crate" command at home is his FAVORITE because he gets to run full tilt at it and jump inside), so mostly I wish I'd started earlier so he'd have more practice being quiet but having something to look forward to immediately after. He also has some confidence issues I think, and so hopefully this helps too-- and think doing it earlier may have been good for him there too.

• Locked thread