Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
welp I submitted a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Good luck! I hope ya'll get in. :)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks!

BTW new episode of Zombies of the World web show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZogidyQuDM

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
Gonna submit. Right before deadline. LIVING ON THE EDGE YEAH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks!

BTW new episode of Zombies of the World web show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZogidyQuDM

These are all so wonderful and perfectly ridiculous. If you ever get near NY or need a reader, man, let me know.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
....well that's hilarious, clockworkjoe. It's also being tweeted to Hell and back today.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

FingerbangMisfire posted:

These are all so wonderful and perfectly ridiculous. If you ever get near NY or need a reader, man, let me know.

Yeah, I'd love to act in one of those. They sound like soooo much fun.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Submitted a short story as well. Pulitzer, here I come!

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I'd submit a K23 Side Story, but they don't make a whole lot of sense out of context by themselves.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Roshi posted:

I'd submit a K23 Side Story, but they don't make a whole lot of sense out of context by themselves.

That might be a problem. The stories need to be able to work on their own to some degree. But you might still get in, since you are an established author and KZ3 is a recognizable series of stories.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Just stuck a short SF/romance story up on Smashwords mostly to put my ebook-making skills to the test and see what the whole process. It's pending at Amazon and Barnes and Noble as well, too :3

I made the cover myself:

My name scrunches up at smaller sizes, but that's to be expected. What do you guys think?

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Is the title 6 & 54?

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it's cool. From a functional cover standpoint, I don't think it works, because I have no idea what your story's about. Consider your cover to be your first line of offense when it comes to marketing and publicity.

MidnightRain
Oct 21, 2008
I've just taken the plunge and put up the end result of my first full writing project, Tales of Newerth:

On Amazon and on Smashwords

It's a fantasy based setting with a series of short stories ending with a novella (130k words total, novella is 65k). I've also included the opening to the next full length project that's in progress at the moment.

I definitely feel that my writing improved steadily throughout writing this and in what i'm working on at the moment, however as this project is all finished and I think the stories are entertaining it would be a shame not to release it :)

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
I just spent way too much time fiddling around with this. This is what I came up with:

Thoughts? I know, I know, A Moon. But it should now be clearer that it is a romance with SF elements.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

YES, so much better. That's a cover that might make me pick something up. The text is clear. The moon makes me think there might be some scifi (even though it says romance ... maybe it should say scifi-romance?).

Well done.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

MidnightRain posted:

I've just taken the plunge and put up the end result of my first full writing project, Tales of Newerth:

It's a fantasy based setting with a series of short stories ending with a novella (130k words total, novella is 65k). I've also included the opening to the next full length project that's in progress at the moment.

I definitely feel that my writing improved steadily throughout writing this and in what i'm working on at the moment, however as this project is all finished and I think the stories are entertaining it would be a shame not to release it :)

I shall add to the master lists, good sir.

Ack, our SA Mart thread has died, because nobody ever posted in it.

FingerbangMisfire fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 15, 2011

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

In Kindle All-Stars News: I'M IN!

*High-fives*

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

*High-fives*
Hey, awesome! Anyone else get in?

Also, I tried to fit 'SF' in before the 'romance', but it looked weird, so I ditched it. Will probably try again before I go through and replace the cover everywhere.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

*High-fives*

*High-five*

They just announced that Harlan Ellison is indeed inside the anthology.

We're inside an anthology with Harlan Ellison

omg

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

*High-five*

They just announced that Harlan Ellison is indeed inside the anthology.

We're inside an anthology with Harlan Ellison

omg

Yeah, I smiled like a big dumb bastard and proceeded to squeal to family/friends.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

*High-fives*
That's pretty rad. I'm happy for you and wish you huge piles of money in the future.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Also my book got covered on "Why Is My Book Not Selling?" They seem to think the opening was confusingly written and the cover was vaguely sexual. (Huh?) I will take their advice to heart and make improvements wherever possible, though.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

I guess because there's an open-mouthed body facing up? I didn't think it looked sexual until someone said it looked sexual. Then my brain kept trying to find the ways it was sexual. On the plus side, at least there's some reader criticism.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
They are right that my blurb is kind of crappy and needs to be spruced up. Hopefully I can get something useful out of this.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

I think all self-pubbers need to be (or try to be) glass half-full types or we'd go mad.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Not all of us can be best pals with Harlan Ellison. Throw some nepotism our way, will ya?

Edit: Be sure to compliment him on his Star Wars novels.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.
Congrats to everyone who got in Kindle All-Stars!

Soulcleaver posted:

Also my book got covered on "Why Is My Book Not Selling?" They seem to think the opening was confusingly written and the cover was vaguely sexual. (Huh?) I will take their advice to heart and make improvements wherever possible, though.

On your description: I would cut the first paragraph, and the rest seems confusing. First he's looking for an artifact, then he's looking for a killer, but he can't take revenge? I would play up the "man seeking revenge for his dead wife" aspect, if it's applicable. That, to me (as a reader), seems like the most interesting part.

Would you mind if I read your book and edited it for you?

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

Edit: Be sure to compliment him on his Star Wars novels.

Oh, he'll love that.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MidnightRain posted:

I bought a copy of your book but I had to search for your name in amazon.com because the amazon.co.uk link you gave was stupidly denying me access to it based on region. Why would Amazon want to prevent sales like that?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yeah, I'd love to act in one of those. They sound like soooo much fun.

haha thanks

shooting them was fun. I have 1 more to edit and post and then I'm thinking of shooting another - a PSA type commercial about zombies and the law (you must report all zombie sightings! You cannot keep zombie parts or pet zombies! ~the more you know~)

I'm happy to receive any help possible. :)

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm happy to receive any help possible. :)

I would literally punch a kitten in the face to do a Starship Troopers-style KNOW YOUR FOE voiceover for you.

EDIT:

OK, technically I wasn't punching him. I was annoying him. But you get the idea.

FingerbangMisfire fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 16, 2011

MidnightRain
Oct 21, 2008

Soulcleaver posted:

I bought a copy of your book but I had to search for your name in amazon.com because the amazon.co.uk link you gave was stupidly denying me access to it based on region. Why would Amazon want to prevent sales like that?

Hope you enjoy it, feedback appreciated!

I think the amazon strangeness is due to the Kindle being assigned to US or UK/EU, so you get an Amazon.com link for the USA, an Amazon.co.uk for the UK and then a Amazon.de for Germany.

Although the end link is the same, it's the starting address which changes. (I only realised this when I had a bit of a dig)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
My proof copy for The Dream Metropolis arrived in the mail today. It looks BITCHIN'.

Paperback version will be available on Amazon in 5 days or so.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Azure_Horizon posted:

My proof copy for The Dream Metropolis arrived in the mail today. It looks BITCHIN'.

Paperback version will be available on Amazon in 5 days or so.

You used createspace? You should post pics of it!

in other news: I just got my best review yet of Zombies of the World http://www.zedwordblog.com/2011/09/zombies-of-world-review.html

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
(taking down images in this post)

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
loving gorgeous. Where did you print it?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Createspace. These people are awesome. Easy as hell to do, only problem was getting the cover just right so none of the details were cropped out by the bleed.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that looks seriously cool. Did it take a long time to get the pdf proofs sorted out as well? It's not something I'm considering yet for my shorter work until I have a short story collection, but the novella I'm currently editing might be a good fit.

Also, what size is that? It looks like trade, but that's just me guessing from your photo.

In other news, this is the final cover I ended up with, plus scifi and un-bolding the author name and so forth-- for whatever reason, the lowercase 'r' in my name wouldn't fake-bold along with everthing else, and there wasn't a bold version of that font available. Ah well.

Really glad I put in the work to fix it up, it looks so much better now :D. I've replaced the cover pretty everywhere; as usual, Smashwords has it up immediately, but it'll take a bit for it to push through at Amazon and B&N.

Here's all my details so it can go up in the first post:

Amazon \ Barnes and Noble \ Smashwords

Blurb: A light yet satisfying sci-fi romance about Six, an android assassin forced to choose between work and something that could be love. (Short Story)

If anyone has any tips for ways to improve my blurb, I'm all ears.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It's US trade 6x9''.

You don't have to submit a .pdf of the text, you can submit .doc's that work fine too so long as you use their template. As for the cover, all you need is an image that is 6.125'' x 9.125'' because that has to include the bleed, then make sure that all the important stuff of the cover is at least .375'' from the sides.

The spine, however, has to be calculated by some really small fraction multiplied by the amount of pages. They tell you it on Createspace. Then you have to make sure the title + author name are .375'' from the top and bottom of the spine, the bleed area.

It just takes a bit of tinkering, but if you are good with Photoshop it's a breeze. I had my illustrator do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Adding it now, dude.

• Locked thread