Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheState posted:

We just bought a new MacBook Pro at work from the Apple Store today. It came with Snow Leopard and not Lion. Are they not shipping with that yet or what?
You should get it for free from the App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Speaking of Safari extensions, can I make some suggestions for that list?

NinjaKit lets you install userscripts / Greasemonkey scripts into Safari, and it's better than GreaseKit because it's a proper Safari extension, rather than a SIMBL plugin.

Google Maps Scroll Zoom is a confusingly-named plugin which actually disables Google Maps' scrollwheel-zoom feature. This isn't an issue if you're a Mac user with a normal mousewheel, but for those of us on trackpads or Magic Mice, I tend to expect that two-fingered scrolling will, well, scroll the map view. It doesn't - it zooms me in and out very quickly and totally disorients me. I wish there was an extension which would make this work as I expect, but for now, I much prefer to have no zooming at all than to have it gently caress me up every time I forget that two finger scroll doesn't.

ClickToPlugin is the new version of ClickToFlash. It supports Safari 5.1 and also deals with Silverlight, QuickTime, and (some) Java embeds, as well as Flash. I'm not sure, but it may replace the HTML5 Audio plugin as well?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You should get it for free from the App Store.

If they didn't do it for you in-store, you might have to call Apple support and give them your order number; they'll give you a redemption code for Lion.

That's what I had to do for a client a few weeks ago, anyway.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

vlack posted:

If they didn't do it for you in-store, you might have to call Apple support and give them your order number; they'll give you a redemption code for Lion.

That's what I had to do for a client a few weeks ago, anyway.

Thanks guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

So this has happened to me twice in the past few days—my keyboard stops responding to all input except for my shortcuts to switch spaces (⌘-1,⌘-2,⌘-3,⌘-4). I feel like last time it came back on its own, but this time I had to close the lid and open it back up. Tried disabling BetterTouchTool, but no luck there. Something to do with Mission Control, maybe?

Do you launch the ability to launch new apps or quit apps when this happens?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on a big organization kick and I'm turning my attention to my iTunes library. I didn't care in the past, but a decent portion of my library is either untagged or incompletely tagged. I tried googling, but almost all the posts I found were either really old or for Windows software. I've got ~6500mp3's, is MusicBrainz Picard: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard What I'm looking for to go through my library, update incomplete information, tag files without them, etc?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

japtor posted:

I had it working once with the built in stuff...then haven't been able to do it since. Installing samba3 can't be the only way :ohdear:.
Rumours are that SAMBA is going to get a lot of fixes in 10.7.2.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned but I don't wanna go through 80 pages but is there a legitimate replacement for itunes? I'm still hung up on winamp, I love the organization and layout of it. Is there something comparable?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Spectral Debt posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned but I don't wanna go through 80 pages but is there a legitimate replacement for itunes? I'm still hung up on winamp, I love the organization and layout of it. Is there something comparable?

Cog's fairly Winampish. I think the designers stopped supporting it long ago, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'd like to do my upgrade but I haven't gotten around to transitioning Quicken to my PC. I want to jump in and start learning the new OS before someone at work brings in a Lion machine and needs help.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that wants to download Flash videos and is too lazy to go through Safari's activity window (or don't have Flash installed) or other browsers' cache or get extensions, try Flash Cache Saver. Basic as hell but it seems to work.

computer parts posted:

As long as you're actually shutting down the system and not yanking the hard drive out or anything, you should be fine.
I'd listen to the drive during startup to make sure it's not loving up like one drive adapter I have on my older Mac mini running Windows 7. On startup that thing spins up and down quickly like 3 times for whatever reason, it's really unnerving. Not sure if it's something funky with the boot sequence or just the adapter.

And speaking of drive issues I ran into a fun one a few weeks ago. I had a drive unmount randomly while I was away (perhaps something to do with power, it was bus powered and system running full tilt) and it wouldn't mount back up again. Disk Utility could check it and say it was fine, yet couldn't mount it. I checked it out from a rescue CD and it mounted, all data apparently still in tact. I tested it on my Windows Mac and mounted and read fine. Pretty much anything but the Mac could mount it :argh:.

I checked through the logs and found something about the journal magic being bad :confused:. Apparently if the journal is hosed up the Mac can't read it, while everything else ignores the journal and mounts no problem. And to disable the journal on the Mac...you need to mount the volume :downs:.

But there's a trick I found somewhere!: "sudo mount_hfs -j DEVICENODE MOUNTDIR" apparently forces mounting without journaling.

DEVICENODE being the disk identifier, this can be found while in the Terminal with "diskutil list". MOUNTDIR is wherever it's going to mount. I did this at /Volumes (cause /Volumes/drivename didn't work) which a gently caress up cause it mounted the drive right as /Volumes and unmounted everything else that was there. Not sure what the hell the proper method is but I'd try making a folder in there, then mounting at that folder. Then from there you can use Disk Utility (or stay in the command line) to disable journaling and do a disk check to make sure it's not hosed up, then reenable journaling.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I have been using Cyberduck for a little while but I don't really like it. It seems slower than it needs to be. I have been looking at getting a shiny FTP client and was wondering if any of you have any experience with Transmit 4, Yummy FTP, or Forklift 2?

They all seem functionally identical for the most part, but I would really like to know if anyone has any good/bad things to say about them?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rusty Kettle posted:

I have been using Cyberduck for a little while but I don't really like it. It seems slower than it needs to be. I have been looking at getting a shiny FTP client and was wondering if any of you have any experience with Transmit 4, Yummy FTP, or Forklift 2?

They all seem functionally identical for the most part, but I would really like to know if anyone has any good/bad things to say about them?

Transmit looks really cool but I have just always used FileZilla. It's ugly and probably slow and dumb but I'm used to it, and I can also use it on Linux and Windows.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Transmit is fantastic. Maybe the other FTP programs have caught up, but Transmit always has the slickest UI and the most features. At the time, their ability to mount S3 and FTP as drives in Finder was unique (might still be), as were a lot of their sync features.

I didn't hesitate at all to buy Transmit 3, and happily bought 4 as well.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't hesitate at all to buy Transmit 3, and happily bought 4 as well.

Agreed. Panic makes great software.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What are folks feeling on this whole migration-assistant thing. I managed to kind of blow up my old macbook via the careful application of coffee to keyboard followed by the precise reaction of horror to apples fixup quote of $1200. So I got me a brand spanking new macbook pro.

ANYWAY. When I tried to run the migration assistance it gave me very few options (Seriously I only want to migrate a few apps, the movies+music dir and my home drive , preferably packaged in a folder called "old poo poo". This wants to take 13 hours and do the lot. I'm not THAT opposed to doing the whole lot, but 13 hours seems excessive. Is there any other reason I shouldn't do it. Does it randomly break poo poo?

By the way , not including a re-install disk with a new mac goes beyond "its the way of the future" to plain pathological. Come on apple, these things are for a reason. Including 50c worth of media is not too hard an ask for a $2.5K laptop

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Here's a fun easter egg. Go into Mission Control or Launchpad and Press "Command-M". This turns on Motion Blur animations. Try swiping left and right. Whoosh!

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110818093802173

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Forgive me if this question's already been asked, but I tried Googling the answer and had no luck. I just set up my Gmail account in the Mac Mail app. In the mailbox list on the left, under the Mailboxes category, it shows my Gmail account under Inbox.

Further down, below Reminders, it shows my Gmail account as its own category and under that is a 'Gmail' folder. When a new email comes in, it marks the number of unread messages next to both the Inbox under Mailboxes and the Gmail folder under my account category.

Is there any way I can set it so that it stops showing unread messages in the Gmail folder? Right now I have to read the message from the Inbox, and then select the Gmail folder and do "mark all as read".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Something weird is happening. My hot corners have stopped working (for mission control and to start the screensaver) also when i mouseover links in chrome i can click them but the cursor doesnt turn into a hand.

I've logged out, and rebooted, which fixes the problem temporarily, when it starts again. Haven't installed any new software or hardware.

Any ideas?

edit: fixed the problem. I don't want to talk about it, I'm not very proud of myself.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2011

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

rckstar79 posted:

Agreed. Panic makes great software.

Thirding. It's like some sort of magical FTP client that fell out of the future.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

qbert posted:

Forgive me if this question's already been asked, but I tried Googling the answer and had no luck. I just set up my Gmail account in the Mac Mail app. In the mailbox list on the left, under the Mailboxes category, it shows my Gmail account under Inbox.

Further down, below Reminders, it shows my Gmail account as its own category and under that is a 'Gmail' folder. When a new email comes in, it marks the number of unread messages next to both the Inbox under Mailboxes and the Gmail folder under my account category.

Is there any way I can set it so that it stops showing unread messages in the Gmail folder? Right now I have to read the message from the Inbox, and then select the Gmail folder and do "mark all as read".

This isn't a fix for your problem necessarily but I spent about a week working on integrating my gmail account into my Apple Mail program. After experiencing the same problems you have (and not finding a suitable fix) I decided to give Sparrow a try, and it's awesome for gmail (especially the conversation tracking). The program's on the app store, a free version that is ad-supported and $10 for the ad-free version. Now I just use Apple's mail app with my Exchange account from work, and Apple mail handles that pretty flawlessly.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Pissflaps posted:

Something weird is happening. My hot corners have stopped working (for mission control and to start the screensaver) also when i mouseover links in chrome i can click them but the cursor doesnt turn into a hand.

I've logged out, and rebooted, which fixes the problem temporarily, when it starts again. Haven't installed any new software or hardware.

Any ideas?

edit: fixed the problem. I don't want to talk about it, I'm not very proud of myself.
cool its pissflaps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipes! posted:

Thirding. It's like some sort of magical FTP client that fell out of the future.
It's actually an awesome wrapper around NcFTP and (now) FUSE. :ssh:

Not that that's a bad thing. NcFTP is awesome, and FUSE kicks some rear end. It's one of my first Mac purchases.

unruly fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2011

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
For the admins out there, I got some new Mac Pros shipping with Lion in today, and I was able to deploy a Snow Leopard image to them without issue. This makes me tremendously happy as I don't have to deploy Lion in my lab this week, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

duck monster posted:

What are folks feeling on this whole migration-assistant thing. I managed to kind of blow up my old macbook via the careful application of coffee to keyboard followed by the precise reaction of horror to apples fixup quote of $1200. So I got me a brand spanking new macbook pro.

ANYWAY. When I tried to run the migration assistance it gave me very few options (Seriously I only want to migrate a few apps, the movies+music dir and my home drive , preferably packaged in a folder called "old poo poo". This wants to take 13 hours and do the lot. I'm not THAT opposed to doing the whole lot, but 13 hours seems excessive. Is there any other reason I shouldn't do it. Does it randomly break poo poo?

By the way , not including a re-install disk with a new mac goes beyond "its the way of the future" to plain pathological. Come on apple, these things are for a reason. Including 50c worth of media is not too hard an ask for a $2.5K laptop
I wouldn't migrate apps, because I find in most cases they are broken when transferred between systems. Migrating user accounts and other data is awesome, saves so much time when it comes to resetting up preferences and other stuff.

mayodreams posted:

For the admins out there, I got some new Mac Pros shipping with Lion in today, and I was able to deploy a Snow Leopard image to them without issue. This makes me tremendously happy as I don't have to deploy Lion in my lab this week, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.
The only Apple product at my work we can't get our 10.6 image working on is the new MB Airs. Other Macs will run 10.6 until they get a hardware refresh.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

You Am I posted:

The only Apple product at my work we can't get our 10.6 image working on is the new MB Airs. Other Macs will run 10.6 until they get a hardware refresh.

Apple has required the new OS before a hardware refresh in the past. I appreciate the trip report though.

Jort
Jan 10, 2007

This showed up on my task bar a week or so ago. No idea what it does/what it's connected to/how to remove it. Anyone know something about this? When I hit sync now nothing (noticeable) happens.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

On that note, why do I have 'Soundflower' in my audio outputs now? It just showed up a few days ago. I googled it and I didn't install the program listed.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Strangelet Wave posted:

The startup sound has the same volume as your Mac's built-in speakers, and OSX remembers your built-in-speaker volume and audio jack volume separately. If you use external speakers or headphones, unplug them, adjust the volume, and then plug them back in. Your same problem confounded me for a while, too.
:doh: This was the problem. Can't believe I couldn't figure this out.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Jort posted:

This showed up on my task bar a week or so ago. No idea what it does/what it's connected to/how to remove it. Anyone know something about this? When I hit sync now nothing (noticeable) happens.

Check your iSync and MobileMe preferences. Or just cmd+drag it away and forget it ever appeared.

edit: Or option+click it to see what the hell it's trying to sync.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

echobucket posted:

Here's a fun easter egg. Go into Mission Control or Launchpad and Press "Command-M". This turns on Motion Blur animations. Try swiping left and right. Whoosh!

Whoa I am glad that is only an easter egg. It takes away all of the context that makes those animations useful.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So my 2010 MBA upgraded to Lion is now starting to perform like crap sometimes. Often Chrome becomes unresponsive for a few seconds Looking in activity monitor I saw kernel_task up at about 150% cpu. Right now it is at 5% with 71 threads.

There are threads about it on Apple support, claiming it has something to do with overheating the CPU. There is a link to possible workaround here: http://tech.superhappykittymeow.com/?p=258
They reccomend deleting AppleIntelPenrynProfile.kext

Anybody else run into this?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

low-key-taco posted:

On that note, why do I have 'Soundflower' in my audio outputs now? It just showed up a few days ago. I googled it and I didn't install the program listed.
Have you used any video or audio recording software recently? Soundflower redirects sounds just like Virtual Audio Cable does for Windows.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Karsh posted:

Check your iSync and MobileMe preferences. Or just cmd+drag it away and forget it ever appeared.
This is a thing you can do? This is wonderful!

My wife has been having an issue with her Mac Mini recently (it's happened twice now since I replaced our router with an Airport Extreme). She'll be connected to the wifi, but unable to access anything. Even the Airport Utility won't see the Airport, but the indicator up at the top shows she's connected to the SSID.

When this happens, I just power cycle the Airport Extreme and she comes back to life, but my MacBook Air doesn't have this problem. It'll be working fine for me and broken for her. Any clue what's going on?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Huh. Well that's nice. I Internet Restored an Air yesterday and it went to 10.7. I Internet Restored an Air today and it went straight to 10.7.1. :)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wolffenstein posted:

Have you used any video or audio recording software recently? Soundflower redirects sounds just like Virtual Audio Cable does for Windows.

Splashtop Remote Desktop also installs it for the purpose of redirecting audio to their iPad client.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

Plex will also install this audio input/output software as well.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

echobucket posted:

You might want to also mention the other bit from that link about how it can crash your window server and effectively forcefully log you out, making you lose all your unsaved work. I learned the hard way.

Artine
Jun 29, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm on a big organization kick and I'm turning my attention to my iTunes library. I didn't care in the past, but a decent portion of my library is either untagged or incompletely tagged. I tried googling, but almost all the posts I found were either really old or for Windows software. I've got ~6500mp3's, is MusicBrainz Picard: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard What I'm looking for to go through my library, update incomplete information, tag files without them, etc?

It's not free, but I've been using Jaikoz for several years now to manage a ~13k-song library. It's got a number of great features for helping to unify and complete your tags using several remote services (including MusicBrainz and Dicogs) as well as fairly customizable tools for making existing tags more consistent. It's updated regularly, and the developer is very responsive with regards to bug reports and feature requests on the forums. And since it's Java-based, it works beautifully on Linux as well as OS X, which is important to me since none of my personal machines are Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VMWare Fusion 4 is finally out. I'm tempted to snag the update, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable Parallels 7 vs. Fusion 4 articles.