Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Verdugo posted:

Argh. Got a nook color in barter from someone for doing some PC work and I wiped it, and now it doesn't want to accept a B&N account. Goes through the registration process fine, finds the network, as soon as I enter my BN account and password [or try to make a new one] -- it kicks me to an error screen and prompts a reboot. Tried updating the firmware to 1.3, no difference. Reset the wireless router, changed the WEP to Open, factory reset the nook, all nothing. Checked on BN tech support and their number doesn't pick up and the website says, put it down for a little while and try again later.

I just want to play with my new toy goddammit. :S

I sold someone a Nook and they had this issue after I reset it, and then it suddenly started working. If you have the patience, maybe try it a few times to see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Verdugo posted:

Argh. Got a nook color in barter from someone for doing some PC work and I wiped it, and now it doesn't want to accept a B&N account. Goes through the registration process fine, finds the network, as soon as I enter my BN account and password [or try to make a new one] -- it kicks me to an error screen and prompts a reboot. Tried updating the firmware to 1.3, no difference. Reset the wireless router, changed the WEP to Open, factory reset the nook, all nothing. Checked on BN tech support and their number doesn't pick up and the website says, put it down for a little while and try again later.

I just want to play with my new toy goddammit. :S

Just put cyanogenmod on it and use the nook app. I bought mine and that's what I did, don't regret it for a second.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

boo_radley posted:

Just put cyanogenmod on it and use the nook app. I bought mine and that's what I did, don't regret it for a second.

Mod says to register your nook w/ barnes and noble first, which is where I am having trouble. Checked online and apparently if you do a factory reset you have to re-log in with the original username and password it was registered with, which I don't have -- guess I'm gonna call support tomorrow.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Verdugo posted:

Mod says to register your nook w/ barnes and noble first, which is where I am having trouble. Checked online and apparently if you do a factory reset you have to re-log in with the original username and password it was registered with, which I don't have -- guess I'm gonna call support tomorrow.

I think you can still put CM7 on it at that point but you won't ever be able to register the Nook using the Nook OS.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

trandorian posted:

It's a tablet. Also, no, the ibooks store is anything but a big competitor.

The only ereader the iPad can reasonably be said to compete with is the 10 inch $370 Kindle DX. $499 iPad versus $114 Kindle with ads? No way.

I know the iPad is not a real reader, but a lot of people use it as one. Some of the things that are being sold as eReaders are just tablets anyway. People are willing to drop the extra couple hundred bucks because it has extra functionality. Apple's book store sucks, agreed, but they have a lot of devices in people's hands. People are reading books on their phones and ipods and everything else that's capable.

Amazon has released a whole bunch of reader apps, which doesn't really fit if they want to only sell books to people using their device. There's a whole bunch of articles from the last few years where Amazon is saying the same thing: we'll sell books to anyone we can.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 14, 2011

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
the number doesnt pick up? should be 1-800-the-book, select the digital option.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wallet posted:

I know the iPad is not a real reader, but a lot of people use it as one. Some of the things that are being sold as eReaders are just tablets anyway. People are willing to drop the extra couple hundred bucks because it has extra functionality. Apple's book store sucks, agreed, but they have a lot of devices in people's hands. People are reading books on their phones and ipods and everything else that's capable.

Amazon has released a whole bunch of reader apps, which doesn't really fit if they want to only sell books to people using their device. There's a whole bunch of articles from the last few years where Amazon is saying the same thing: we'll sell books to anyone we can.

Did you even read my posts beyond "ipads are not ereaders"?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I did and he still has a good point. An anecdote, my mother in law hasn't touched her Nook since she got her ipad. I know it's just an anecdote but to say that people don't think of all the extra stuff tablets do when making purchasing decisions is naive.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

trandorian posted:

Did you even read my posts beyond "ipads are not ereaders"?

Yes. I just think you're being unrealistic if you think that Smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, etc aren't competing with Kindles. They don't have to have the same price to compete, especially if they have wider functionality. More, a lot of people already have another device that's capable, so the consideration is instead paying the cost of a Kindle for a nicer screen to read poo poo on. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
On the other hand in some cases they might even help sell Kindles. I wouldn't have one if I hadn't installed the Kindle Android app on my phone, realised there were a load of free books available on there and that Kindle as a platform was generally quite awesome, and then went on about wanting one until my girlfriend bought me one for my birthday.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wallet posted:

Yes. I just think you're being unrealistic if you think that Smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, etc aren't competing with Kindles. They don't have to have the same price to compete, especially if they have wider functionality. More, a lot of people already have another device that's capable, so the consideration is instead paying the cost of a Kindle for a nicer screen to read poo poo on. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm saying Apple specifically isn't. You also seemed to completely miss when I talked about how all the big stores let you use your books on almost any device you might have. iBooks can barely manage to compete on Apple's own devices against the Nook and Kindle apps.

Is this really so hard for you to understand? That's why I asked if you read any of the rest of my posts. The iPad "competes" with a sub-$150 ereader in the same way that a gamer desktop competes with a netbook. They share some function similarity but they are different markets. If you want to watch videos you obviously can't buy a Kindle!

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 14, 2011

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

denizen posted:

the number doesnt pick up? should be 1-800-the-book, select the digital option.

I was calling it from home last night and it just kept disconnecting. Maybe it was my cellphone.

Finally got this all sorted today. The Nook Color was registered to the previous user, so I had to call up and convince support to remove the old registration so I could use it, which involved a lot of convincing that yes, this was now my nook and yes, it was given to me. Thankfully I had all the contact information of the guy who gave it to me.

Once that was switched out, it registered fine. I think I'm going to play with the vanilla nook stuff for a while and then look at rooting it later... just happy I have something to read eBooks on right now. Thanks for the help, folks.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 14, 2011

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

trandorian posted:

I'm saying Apple specifically isn't. You also seemed to completely miss when I talked about how all the big stores let you use your books on almost any device you might have. iBooks can barely manage to compete on Apple's own devices against the Nook and Kindle apps.

Is this really so hard for you to understand? That's why I asked if you read any of the rest of my posts. The iPad "competes" with a sub-$150 ereader in the same way that a gamer desktop competes with a netbook. They share some function similarity but they are different markets. If you want to watch videos you obviously can't buy a Kindle!

I'm aware Apple's store is insignificant, beyond that I think you're the one not following. Apple's store is poo poo right now, but that doesn't mean it will remain poo poo and by virtue of the number of devices they have in circulation they have a huge influence. They also literally control the platform, and if they can manage to lock everyone else out they will be defaulted all book sales on their devices.

The price difference does not remove the competition. If the market for tablets and readers is so divergent why is B&N trying to split the difference with the Nook Color? People don't buy poo poo in a vacuum. All of these devices are competing for the same spots, even if they have widely varying price points. How many people do you know who carry around six different specialized devices?

More importantly, though, this is two separate conversations. All of the players are looking to make money off the books and the devices separately, not subsidize one with the other.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 14, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wallet posted:

I'm aware Apple's store is insignificant, beyond that I think you're the one not following. The price difference does not remove the competition. If the market for tablets and readers is so divergent why is B&N trying to split the difference with the Nook Color? People don't buy poo poo in a vacuum.

They're trying to split difference BECAUSE they are different markets. It's not a full tablet, it also doesn't cost as much (it's half the price of an iPad and about double the price of Nook Touch or Kindle 3). It doesn't have all the advantages of eink readers either, like long battery life and light weight. It also stays closer to ereader size than popular tablet size. It's an attempt to grab people from both markets, despite them not being the same market.

Do you think sedans and trucks are the same market and SUVs are just in the continuum or are you smart enough to understand that sedans and trucks are different markets and SUVs attempt to merge features of the two to attract buyers to a different, middle, market? :iiaca:

Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Your edit:

Wallet posted:

Apple's store is poo poo right now, but that doesn't mean it will remain poo poo and by virtue of the number of devices they have in circulation they have a huge influence. They also literally control the platform, and if they can manage to lock everyone else out they will be defaulted all book sales on their devices.

The price difference does not remove the competition. All of these devices are competing for the same spots, even if they have widely varying price points. How many people do you know who carry around six different specialized devices?

That's would be a violation of several laws actually. It's great you think they're evil enough to do that ( :rolleyes: ) but they're also not stupid enough to do that.

It does remove the competition. They aren't actually competing for the same spots. An iPad or other full tablet might replace a netbook or laptop. A Nook Color can't, and a Kindle certainly can't. Where are you getting "six devices" from?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 14, 2011

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Despite it being a car analogy it's fairly illustrative of the point I'm making. While a truck certainly isn't a sedan they still compete. Most people only have one car. There are people who have no interest in one or the other, but there are also a lot of people who have uses for both but will only buy one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wallet posted:

Despite it being a car analogy it's fairly illustrative of the point I'm making. While a truck certainly isn't a sedan they still compete. Most people only have one car. There are people who have no interest in one or the other, but there are also a lot of people who have uses for both but will only buy one.

No, they don't compete. They're solidly different markets. You can be int he market for two different types of things at once without those two different things actually being in the same market themselves.

You're making an argument that would lead to saying that a high end $5000 workstation computer competes with the Kindle because they both can show books and connect to the internet, and someone might want to both read a book and render a CGI movie.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

trandorian posted:

No, they don't compete. They're solidly different markets. You can be int he market for two different types of things at once without those two different things actually being in the same market themselves.

Products do not exist in a vacuum, nor do people. Market does not imply that level of specificity.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Wallet posted:

Quit being obtuse, you know exactly what he means.

To take your example to the ludicrous extreme, you're saying that the Smart car competes in the same market with the Rolls Royce Phantom because they're both cars capable of carrying people from one place to the other.

A $130 e-reader simply isn't in the same market as a $500 iPad. There may be some sales siphoned off from one or the other, but for the most part, people who are looking at e-readers aren't looking at the iPad and people looking at buying an iPad aren't even considering Kindles because the only thing Kindles do well is read books.

To go back to the car analogy, someone looking specifically for a truck likely wants it for all the things that trucks do much better than cars -- they want to haul a bunch of cargo or tow a bunch of poo poo, maybe both at the same time. Some of these people may have the revelation that they don't really do any of the things that a truck does well and go and cross shop cars and buy one of those instead, but they're not the majority. The people interested in cars might say "it might be nice to have a truck for all the things a truck can do" and they might even go out and buy an SUV or a Ford F-150 (nook color) but they aren't likely to go out and buy an F-450 diesel with a crewcab and long bed (iPad).

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 14, 2011

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

einTier posted:

Quit being obtuse, you know exactly what he means.

To take your example to the ludicrous extreme, you're saying that the Smart car competes in the same market with the Rolls Royce Phantom because they're both cars capable of carrying people from one place to the other.

It's amazing that if you take something to its ludicrous extreme it sounds ludicrous. Bravo!

There are discreet niche markets (people who only want an eReader) but dedicated devices have always, and probably will continue to, compete with devices that do a broader range of things. Someone who wants an eReader hasn't suddenly stopped wanting any product outside of that umbrella. What you're saying works perfectly if people know exactly what they're looking for, do a bunch of research, and then go buy it. Most people walk into Best Buy or Target and look at all the devices available (where, at least here, the iPad is two feet from the Kindle).

Being obtuse would be redefining market to mean niche market.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Wallet posted:

It's amazing that if you take something to its ludicrous extreme it sounds ludicrous. Bravo!

There are discreet niche markets (people who only want an eReader) but dedicated devices have always, and probably will continue to, compete with devices that do a broader range of things. Someone who wants an eReader hasn't suddenly stopped wanting any product outside of that umbrella. What you're saying works perfectly if people know exactly what they're looking for, do a bunch of research, and then go buy it. Most people walk into Best Buy or Target and look at all the devices available (where, at least here, the iPad is two feet from the Kindle).

Right, but at the price point, they really don't compete.

I'm lucky enough to own both a Kindle and an iPad. The Kindle was cheap enough to be an impulse buy that I didn't think much about. The iPad was expensive enough that I had to think about how it would be used. Only the wealthy have enough money that a 380% increase in price is something that's not thought about. People don't routinely cross shop anything with that kind of price disparity, I don't care if it's e-readers, cars, perfume, or toilets.

$500 can also buy you a pretty decent laptop these days. That's the competition for the iPad.

I hold firm that people looking to buy an iPad or iPad like device really aren't looking for something like a Kindle and wouldn't be satisfied with it. If they are interested in a Kindle, it's not much of a stretch to just go ahead and do like I did and buy a Kindle to go with the iPad. People buying Kindles are looking for e-book readers, because that's literally the only thing the Kindle does well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wallet posted:

Knowing you want to watch videos and asking the Best Buy dude which device plays videos = a bunch of research to you. Wow.

Also interesting how you can define a market that's sold millions of devices in the past 4 years as "niche" markets.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm reading a book with a lot of footnote (Infinite Jest) at the moment and Whispersync is being a total fail for me. I read between my Kindle, phone, and the cloud reader and every time I load the book up on one of these it tries to sync my location, but instead of syncing the last location I was at, it syncs the location which is furthest through the book, which is one of the footnotes. It's highly irritating having to manually find my place every time I switch platforms, anyone know of a way I can alter its behaviour? Obviously switching off Whispersync wouldn't solve the problem as I'd still have to hunt manually, is there any way of syncing your last read location instead of your furthest read?

I know this is kind of an edge case but it is pretty annoying and seems like it would affect any book with footnotes. Also, the footnote it syncs to isn't actually even the most recent one I read, so it's not even getting that right.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 15, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got an ebook I grabbed off of Guttenburg and put on my Kindle with Calibre. It seems to have been a quick OCR job, as there's lots of words split by hyphens from the original justification. Is there a way to edit the file to fix these?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Toebone posted:

I've got an ebook I grabbed off of Guttenburg and put on my Kindle with Calibre. It seems to have been a quick OCR job, as there's lots of words split by hyphens from the original justification. Is there a way to edit the file to fix these?

There's an option somewhere in Calibre to remove unneeded hyphens, so an epub to epub conversion with that option on may do it. Never tried it myself, though.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

chippy posted:

I'm reading a book with a lot of footnote (Infinite Jest) at the moment and Whispersync is being a total fail for me. I read between my Kindle, phone, and the cloud reader and every time I load the book up on one of these it tries to sync my location, but instead of syncing the last location I was at, it syncs the location which is furthest through the book, which is one of the footnotes. It's highly irritating having to manually find my place every time I switch platforms, anyone know of a way I can alter its behaviour? Obviously switching off Whispersync wouldn't solve the problem as I'd still have to hunt manually, is there any way of syncing your last read location instead of your furthest read?

I know this is kind of an edge case but it is pretty annoying and seems like it would affect any book with footnotes. Also, the footnote it syncs to isn't actually even the most recent one I read, so it's not even getting that right.

Try manually syncing it from the menu after you finish your reading session. I have no idea if that will help, but it might.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Toebone posted:

If it's epub, open it with winzip/7zip/other and get the .html files that contain the text. Open them in a text editor that supports regex searches and search for "[a-z]-[a-z]". That will find all hyphenated words - you'll have to use your judgment on whether the hyphens need to stay or be removed for each word.

That's a lot of work, though - myself, I just highlight the hyphen problems as I'm reading the book then go back and fix them when I'm done.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Aurelius posted:

If it's epub, open it with winzip/7zip/other and get the .html files that contain the text. Open them in a text editor that supports regex searches and search for "[a-z]-[a-z]". That will find all hyphenated words - you'll have to use your judgment on whether the hyphens need to stay or be removed for each word.

That's a lot of work, though - myself, I just highlight the hyphen problems as I'm reading the book then go back and fix them when I'm done.

Calibre makes it a lot easier to do this sort of editing.

Here's a thought - change the margins and stuff until you can get the hyphenated words to line up with the line breaks, and then maybe you'll be able to do a find and replace for hyphen characters ending in a line break.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Gotham : A History of New York City to 1898 by Mike Wallace & Edwin G. Burrows is Amazon Kindle's Deal Of The Day

Only $1.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002SAUBWM

quote:

Like the city it celebrates, Gotham is massive and endlessly fascinating. This narrative of well over 1,000 pages, written after more than two decades of collaborative research by history professors Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace, copiously chronicles New York City from the primeval days of the Lenape Indians to the era when, with Teddy Roosevelt as police commissioner, the great American city became regarded as "Capital of the World." The sheer bulk of the book may be off- putting, but the reader can use a typically New York approach: Those who don't settle in for the entire history can easily "commute" in and out to read individual chapters, which stand alone nicely and cover the major themes of particular eras very well.

While Gotham is fact-laden (with a critical apparatus that includes a bibliography and two indices--one for names, another for subjects), the prose admirably achieves both clarity and style. "What is our take, our angle, our schtick?" ask the authors, setting a distinctly New York tone in their introduction. No matter what it's called, their method of weaving together countless stories works wonderfully. The startlingly detailed research and lively writing bring innumerable characters (from Peter Minuit to Boss Tweed) to life, and even those who think they know the history of New York City will no doubt find surprises on nearly every page. Gotham is a rarity, reigning as both authoritative history and page-turning story.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Has anybody tried viewing comics on a Nook Touch by converting cbz/r to epub with calibre? Are there any problems with it?

Also, what do people think of the Kobo Touch? Is there anything it does better than the Nook Touch or vice versa?

I do like the design of the Nook a lot more, and the physical page turn buttons, but I like that the Kobo supports cbr/z and image files right out of the box, and it seems to let you switch between landscape and portrait modes (or is that just with pdfs?). I also like that you can change how many pages before the Kobo refreshes, in case the ghosting starts getting annoying. I'm wary of the Kobo store though, especially since Borders just went out of business.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Has anybody tried viewing comics on a Nook Touch by converting cbz/r to epub with calibre? Are there any problems with it?

I tried this with a manga I had floating around on my nook classic a while ago. The proportions aren't quite right so people's faces will look more squished. Text is readable if a little small, and black and white manga art displays really well on the screeen. Assuming it's the same on the touch, just more contrast.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There should be a way to set calibre to obey original aspect ratio.

Incidentally, on a Kindle you'd just unrar or unzip your cbr/cbz to a folder in the Pictures folder named how you want the title to show up on the device library.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I noticed that Amazon and Penguin appear to have made up. Penguin books are available to Canadians once more! The prices are pretty awful but the selection is much improved.

I also noticed a bunch of titles that weren't available in Canada (prior to the Penguin squabble) are now available.

Yay. :)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ara posted:

Try manually syncing it from the menu after you finish your reading session. I have no idea if that will help, but it might.

Thanks, but no :smith: That just causes it to prompt me to go to the furthest page read across all devices, i.e. somewhere in the footnotes.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

hope and vaseline posted:

I tried this with a manga I had floating around on my nook classic a while ago. The proportions aren't quite right so people's faces will look more squished. Text is readable if a little small, and black and white manga art displays really well on the screeen. Assuming it's the same on the touch, just more contrast.

Manga works much better than comics due to the smaller page size. I tried it with comics, and the text is crazy small.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just remember that what you're getting for comics/images on any of the 6 inch diagonal e-ink devices now is an 800x600 screen, rotated vertically, and with 16 shades of gray to display with. As with what Mnemosyne said, comic books are printed much larger, they're 12.2 inches diagonal as well as being a different aspect ratio.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kindles can now get books from 11,000 Local Libraries via overdrive.

http://www.kindlepost.com/2011/09/kindle-books-now-available-at-local-libraries.html

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Burden posted:

http://www.kindlepost.com/2011/09/kindle-books-now-available-at-local-libraries.html

Finally! I've been waiting for this since I got mine.

Looks like my local library supports it, too. Just gotta call and see why I have a block on my account. . .

vv Curses, foiled again!

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 21, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

Just gotta call and see why I have a block on my account. . .

Library book thief spotted.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Burden posted:

My library still only has epub or pdf :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Hopefully soon, my library had only epub/pdf this morning. Then an hour ago mobis everywhere.