Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Late I know but I read through the CK part and I am now eagerly awaiting the EUIII stuff, your works so far looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

swamp izzo posted:

What happens if the player-controlled HRE manually vassalizes every state in the empire? There would be no electors left...

I have some mechanics that make vassals rebel if their combined strength is greater than their overlord, so if you try to vassalize the entire HRE you're probably gonna be in serious trouble.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

theblastizard posted:

And how would you dissolve the HRE without vassalizing electors?

The elector title won't get pulled as long as their overlord is at war so you can still dissolve the HRE.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

I have some mechanics that make vassals rebel if their combined strength is greater than their overlord, so if you try to vassalize the entire HRE you're probably gonna be in serious trouble.

I love this! It always felt so cheap to vassalize most of the world as a medium sized country.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I hope that when this is done it can be combined with Miscmods somehow and I can play Shattered Europe with a perfectly balanced game. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mrit posted:

I hope that when this is done it can be combined with Miscmods somehow and I can play Shattered Europe with a perfectly balanced game. :allears:

Throw in that mapmod which converts the game to the V2 map and I'll die a happy man. Or the MEIOU map, but I think it's a bit messier (and harder to deal with since province IDs are all over the place)

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Wiz, are the emperor bonuses the same?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Patter Song posted:

I hate those so much. And you fail them if you DOW and force-vassalize the country! :downs:

Then you cancel the mission and get "Build a Grand Army" or "Have more ships than X :v:

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Then you cancel the mission and get "Build a Grand Army" or "Have more ships than X :v:

X inevitably being England or Castile.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frionnel posted:

"Build a fleet bigger than Venice." Yeah, that's really achievable when I have 2 ports and a fleet of 5 and they have a fleet of 40.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Naval Race and Protect Against are gone.

General Antares posted:

Wiz, are the emperor bonuses the same?

No, tweaked substantially.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

No, tweaked substantially.

I think it would be easier to just list the stuff you haven't changed from vanilla.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Wiz posted:

All hail Wiz.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

What about missions that can be very counter-intuitive in context, like getting missions to vassalise an HRE state when you are the Emperor?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the best mission I've ever gotten is my current game as the netherlands

"get Bohemia to vote for you!"

:v:

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

the best mission I've ever gotten is my current game as the netherlands

"get Bohemia to vote for you!"

:v:
The best mission is "Italy Must be Catholic!"

Reformed Austria as emperor holds Trent.

:suicide:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
With a lot of the dumb filler missions out, how are you going to keep people from running out of missions?

I love your idea of autocoring when you diploannex a vassal. I also hate how drat rare the "Integrate X into our Country" missions are in Vanilla. I don't need a manufacture building, I need a free core, dammit!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wiz posted:

The HRE draws manpower and forcelimit from its member states though so wouldn't a big enough HRE always have more troops than the rest of the empire combined?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This thread has got me thinking about starting up another CK campaign, and this time around I wanted to mod it a bit beforehand, but it turns out that the game stores data differently than EU3.

Say I wanted to buff muslims, so that spain and the levant are actual battlegrounds. How would I go about buffing the combat stats and/or economy of the islamic world?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

swamp izzo posted:

The HRE draws manpower and forcelimit from its member states though so wouldn't a big enough HRE always have more troops than the rest of the empire combined?

It's not about troops. It's about power status, which is calculated from the tax and manpower of your provinces (plus some other things).

Also, no, I don't think the Emperor has remotely as many troops as the rest of the Empire combined. Not with my various tweaks.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

Wiz posted:

How can I do this to my game? I can't find the mission in the mission folder.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mirrors posted:

How can I do this to my game? I can't find the mission in the mission folder.

Missions/Construction.txt

Search for rival_countries

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Doctor Schnabel posted:

This thread has got me thinking about starting up another CK campaign, and this time around I wanted to mod it a bit beforehand, but it turns out that the game stores data differently than EU3.

Say I wanted to buff muslims, so that spain and the levant are actual battlegrounds. How would I go about buffing the combat stats and/or economy of the islamic world?

You could boost the province tax values, which makes them richer and gives them bigger regiments. Just be careful, otherwise you'll get Islamic sheikhdoms in England and Scandinavia.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

You could also edit the Middle Eastern nations into the western techgroup. Grenada's still probably going to get swallowed, but I would imagine this would at least stop Spain and Great Britain from conquering Anatolia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Doctor Schnabel posted:

A quick and dirty way is to add stat buffs to the Sunni and Shiite traits. Add some stewardship and they will get more money and troops, for example.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

You could boost the province tax values, which makes them richer and gives them bigger regiments. Just be careful, otherwise you'll get Islamic sheikhdoms in England and Scandinavia.

That happens anyways in CK.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Be careful? Are you implying that Islam is not the light? :colbert:

Seriously though, these are all great ideas, folks. Thanks a bunch; I'll get cracking on the modding.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

swamp izzo posted:

That happens anyways in CK.

There's actually a really easy fan-made fix for this that I downloaded from somewhere on the Paradox forums. It just causes ships owned by Muslim countries to sink as soon as they enter the Atlantic (which most of them would have in real life, because it turns out the kind of boats used on the Mediterranean do not work well in the open ocean). It's not necessarily the most elegant solution, but it's far from the least realistic abstraction you'll find in a Paradox game.

Of course, the AI won't realise this and could end up drowning their entire army, so if you're worried about making the Muslims more powerful, I guess maybe you wouldn't want that. Just don't be surprised when they abandon Spain for Ireland or something.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Viscardus posted:

There's actually a really easy fan-made fix for this that I downloaded from somewhere on the Paradox forums. It just causes ships owned by Muslim countries to sink as soon as they enter the Atlantic (which most of them would have in real life, because it turns out the kind of boats used on the Mediterranean do not work well in the open ocean). It's not necessarily the most elegant solution, but it's far from the least realistic abstraction you'll find in a Paradox game.

Of course, the AI won't realise this and could end up drowning their entire army, so if you're worried about making the Muslims more powerful, I guess maybe you wouldn't want that. Just don't be surprised when they abandon Spain for Ireland or something.

Muslims in Ireland is absurd, but I don't know that it's anymore absurd than the Duchy of Orleans ending up in Bukhara because Christians can walk all over Muslim lands.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Wiz posted:

Muslims in Ireland is absurd, but I don't know that it's anymore absurd than the Duchy of Orleans ending up in Bukhara because Christians can walk all over Muslim lands.

Proof that swedes don't have the glorious history of crusading running through their veins.

(that's prob why they're trying to catch up on the anti-muslim front)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Viscardus posted:

It just causes ships owned by Muslim countries to sink as soon as they enter the Atlantic (which most of them would have in real life, because it turns out the kind of boats used on the Mediterranean do not work well in the open ocean).
There were actually quite a few Muslim ships operating in the Atlantic, pretty much as privateers, but still.

They did actually control territory off the coast of Britain.

Or at least that's what Wikipedia says. I guess that's all piracy though, which is a slightly different issue.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Corsairs operated regularly in the Atlantic from their base in modern day Tunisia and the surrounding coastline - But certainly not in the era that Crusader Kings is set in. They also didn't have the forces to conquer, rather being the sort of smash and grab raids that were regularly seen in southern Italy in the early middle ages when Sicily was muslim-controlled.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah the reason Muslim Ireland is absurd has less to do with bad ships and more to do with how impossible it would be to sustain an occupation that far away from your bases of power.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Eiba posted:

There were actually quite a few Muslim ships operating in the Atlantic, pretty much as privateers, but still.

They did actually control territory off the coast of Britain.

Or at least that's what Wikipedia says. I guess that's all piracy though, which is a slightly different issue.

I'm sorry but what scale are we talking about here? Lundy looks like a tiny rock you can take with 50 men, while taking over territory the size of a small CK province would require a whole army with a supply train and reinforcements

Grand strategy games have no way to represent raids and small marine actions because they're grand in size, and that's ok

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Proof that swedes don't have the glorious history of crusading running through their veins.

(that's prob why they're trying to catch up on the anti-muslim front)

The swedes did their crusading in Finland.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Viscardus posted:

In case anyone's curious, I managed to track this thing down. Thread for the script is here

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
It's a pet peeve of mine in EU3 that the Muslim nations are such pushovers. Unless I do something about it I tend to see Castile (or sometimes Portugal or Great Britain/England) control all of North Africa from Morocco to Egypt by about 1440 and the go on to swallow the middle east.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Archaeology Hat posted:

It's a pet peeve of mine in EU3 that the Muslim nations are such pushovers. Unless I do something about it I tend to see Castile (or sometimes Portugal or Great Britain/England) control all of North Africa from Morocco to Egypt by about 1440 and the go on to swallow the middle east.

I can report from my test games that this does not happen. (It's a pet peeve of mine too)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm dealing with a Poland that stretches in a thin line from the Baltic to Thessaly and Thrace, then envelopes most of Anatolia. Past them is NOVGOROD in like 280 pt. font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've got a Hungary that covers Austria, Romania, Yugoslavia, the Black Sea and parts of Lithuania after just 30 years. Oh, and they're the Emperor!

• Locked thread