Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

Beige posted:

If I remember right, Jeb or Notch said it will be returning in 1.9. 1.9 should also be released during Minecon, which is scheduled for November 18-19.

Does that mean 1.9 is the official release version? Not that it makes much difference really but that was about the date floated for the end of the beta phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Neat new stuff but where the gently caress is our mod support? I want an API so we can use the whole MODS and Textures button in the game instead of all this forked esoteric crap you have to wade through for the more complicated mods.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not sure what the hell they did, but the pre-releases were fine but 1.8 runs like poo poo and crashes constantly. Yes, I've re-installed, and yes, I have a very good gaming pc.

Any ideas or is it hosed up for everyone?

My friend who's really into minecraft really wants to get me back into it with this big update. So I did so and I crash after about 5 minutes with an "out of memory" error. So you're not alone.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Beige posted:

If I remember right, Jeb or Notch said it will be returning in 1.9. 1.9 should also be released during Minecon, which is scheduled for November 18-19.

I know the release date is just a formality at this point, but having it officially come out with previously working features missing is a bit odd.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
There is literally no reason to download 1.8 PR2 now right?

Also, "Land of Bacon" is pretty cool. Nice high range.

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 14, 2011

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Who Dat posted:

There is literally no reason to download 1.8 PR2 now right?
Correct. An official 1.8 release has been provided.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Found this just a short bit after spawning. There weren't any storms or anything else I could tell going on either just... woods on fire. I think there was a pig on fire, too. No clue why everything would be on fire all of the sudden.

The seed is -1088950142017211807, coordinates x:372 y:64

soupcan58 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 14, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

soupcan58 posted:

Found this just a short bit after spawning. There weren't any storms or anything else I could tell going on either just... woods on fire.
Ten bucks says there's a lava pool nearby.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
There's probably a lava pond nearby.

Also you should turn off your forced anti-aliasing, minecraft doesn't like it and you get artifacts like those.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Also you should give x/z not x/y :shobon:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Forget this, I posted in the wrong thread.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Pigs run away after being attacked now? Well now I feel bad about beating them up. Common 'lil guy I gotta eat :(

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Just kicked it back on, and you all called it. Thanks for mentioning it, just had to look a little closer is all.

Vanadium, just ignore what I say half the time. I get confused easily. And if math's involved, I'm pretty well hosed. :)

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

lowwayman posted:

There's probably a lava pond nearby.

Also you should turn off your forced anti-aliasing, minecraft doesn't like it and you get artifacts like those.

I can't see any artefacts on that image, also aliasing is terrible and no game made after 2000 should not have anti-aliasing.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
I found my first ravine last night. It was right by the shoreline of my island, and it seemed to go on forever underground. Eventually it intersected with an abandoned mine that sprawled on even further. I fell down a pit, I got poisoned repeatedly, skeletons shot the gently caress out of me. I got hopelessly lost and ran out of, among other things, food and wood. I eventually decided to just tunnel up, lava danger be damned. Eventually I exhausted my picks and wound up digging the last stretch of my desperate journey to the surface by hand rather than blunt my axe on the rock.

Popped up in the middle of the ocean, in broad daylight, next to a floating pig. I brained it with my axe, feasted on its flesh, and swam to shore.

I love this game! :black101:

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
My server will be updated. We will be using the same waterworld map unless I get a lot of resistancee to that idea.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love stories like that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Am I the only one having issues with friendly mobs not spawning? Whenever I enter a new area, they're everywhere. But then once I kill them to harvest their tasty tasty meat, they never come back. I cleared a forest near my base and killed off all the sheep, pigs and cows around, but it's now been many many in game days and I haven't seen a single animal. Bad mobs spawn at night like crazy, but the animals are just gone.

19charactersorless!
Sep 18, 2009

Megaspel posted:

I can't see any artefacts on that image, also aliasing is terrible and no game made after 2000 should not have anti-aliasing.

There are slight borders around sprites - look closely just at the top of fire. It's not so bad in this picture but my card forced anti-aliasing and it made torches horrible and added a pink grid to my water.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

Am I the only one having issues with friendly mobs not spawning? Whenever I enter a new area, they're everywhere. But then once I kill them to harvest their tasty tasty meat, they never come back. I cleared a forest near my base and killed off all the sheep, pigs and cows around, but it's now been many many in game days and I haven't seen a single animal. Bad mobs spawn at night like crazy, but the animals are just gone.

You didn't give them time to breed and now they are extinct. :(

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
So does the new terrain generate on the unexplored areas on old smp servers? I remember hearing that it would but I haven't seen anybody confirm it yet.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Anybody got any good hard seeds for 1.8? I find myself generating worlds until I get the same rough kind of setup every time (cliff fortress! :black101:) and I think I need to challenge myself a little.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How hard is hard?
suavebaby spawns you on a teeny-tiny island in the middle of a vast ocean with no trees.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So is the release broken? Some seem to have an issue with how much processing power it uses and some seem to be running it fine. I don't want this to be like 1.7 where I lose a bunch of iron and coal because of bugs and bad code.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Guys I think I am being incredibly dense here, but I cleared out all the minecraft files on my server, dropped the 1.8 server jar there and loaded up, set some whitelisted players.. and no-one can break blocks.

Is there some default option I have to set to let people build? There's nothing in server.properties about it.

e - oh drat I think we were trying to build in the spawn area, gonna check that real quick ...

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Works fine for me, better than 1.8PR1 in fact.

andyf posted:

Guys I think I am being incredibly dense here, but I cleared out all the minecraft files on my server, dropped the 1.8 server jar there and loaded up, set some whitelisted players.. and no-one can break blocks.

Is there some default option I have to set to let people build? There's nothing in server.properties about it.

Try setting online mode to false in server.properties, it happens sometimes when the authentication server is being screwy.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Vatek posted:

Works fine for me, better than 1.8PR1 in fact.

Try setting online mode to false in server.properties, it happens sometimes when the authentication server is being screwy.

Nah it was me being away from vanilla minecraft for ages - protected spawn area! I can't recall if vanilla server had an option to reduce the size of the spawn protected area, think I'll leave it so people don't make it an instant death trap

Anuv-
Jun 15, 2010

by T. Finn
Is there a go-to list of servers? Like, really big populated Survival mode ones?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mike the TV posted:

You didn't give them time to breed and now they are extinct. :(

Is this really what happens now? Kill off animals in an area and they're gone forever?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Master Twig posted:

Is this really what happens now? Kill off animals in an area and they're gone forever?

No, I'm pretty sure he's just loving with you.

melaTONE
Nov 5, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I miss being able to toggle my fog :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

How hard is hard?
suavebaby spawns you on a teeny-tiny island in the middle of a vast ocean with no trees.

I saw a tree on a little island just to the south (render distance far). That's enough to build a boat - you call that hard?

(but it is a vast ocean I'll grant you that)

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nenonen posted:

I saw a tree on a little island just to the south (render distance far). That's enough to build a boat - you call that hard?

(but it is a vast ocean I'll grant you that)

Are you using my seed and if not can I have your seed?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Anuv- posted:

Is there a go-to list of servers? Like, really big populated Survival mode ones?

Check the Private Game Servers subforum.

Penislandia is the server I help run, but there's a bunch of others. Insert Coins, Wilson's, Goonimati; there's something for every taste.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I wish they'd add a diving helmet you can craft with glass and iron or something. Ocean biomes are kind of wasted when you can't really do anything with them.

E: I just spotted what looks like an underwater ravine in suavebaby too.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anuv- posted:

Lost shard is a great one if "survival" means "40 man murderfest"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Senator Woofington posted:

Are you using my seed and if not can I have your seed?

It is Vib Rib's suavebaby

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

melaTONE posted:

F3+F?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

melaTONE posted:

F3 + F, or am I missing something?

EDIT: f;basdlhasdljha!! ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
So if I update my server to 1.8, is there any special workaround that still needs to be done to get villages et al to spawn in the new chunks?

Also I'm running a super-chill survival server and wouldn't mind a couple goons coming to essentially play co-operative single player on a big, mostly empty map. I can't support enough people to warrant a PGS thread but I figured I'd put the word out for any goons that are looking for a very small (usually 1-2 people online at a time) server with a strict 'no being dicks' policy. If you wanna build some cool looking poo poo, and know no ones gonna do anything besides admire it, let me know. Fairly minimal in terms of mods, just some quality of life stuff.

Some of the construction projects and Mt. Blargen from the server's first month. A few more are in my imgur folder.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 14, 2011