Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Ashenai posted:

I dunno, an unanswered Massacre Wurm or Wurmcoil Engine in SOM was easily as bad as any of the M12 Titans.

The only M12 bomb that I feel is really bullshit levels of unfair in Limited is Jace, Memory Adept.

Grave Titan is totally bullshit too. For Jace you at least need to have something to stick in front of him. If you play Grave Titan and your opponent doesn't have a shitload of fliers or Mind Control you will probably win. At least the rest of the Titans die to Doom Blade. Wurmcoil Engine does not even necessarily win you the game, thanks to poison decks; it's just that ANYBODY might have one.

Massacre Wurm, though...I've seen so many board states where one person looks like they are getting their rear end handed to them and cannot possibly win and them BAM Massacre Wurm wins for them on the spot. I also don't think I've ever seen someone untap with Elesh Norn or Sheoldred and lose.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Elesh Norn is also frequently "I win".

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Your deck seems pretty good. Fliers and removal will get you a lot of wins. I probably would have wound up running Dimir/Orzhov/Azorius, but I'm not really convinced it would have come out too much better.

Thanks for the tips! I tried one more tonight before they go away and finally managed to win out thanks to a sweet pack 2: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wyk2

I didn't really like the block when we played it in goonleague but I'm starting to get the hang of these, wish I had gotten to play it when it was actually new.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Tiny Torso posted:

Thanks for the tips! I tried one more tonight before they go away and finally managed to win out thanks to a sweet pack 2: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wyk2

I didn't really like the block when we played it in goonleague but I'm starting to get the hang of these, wish I had gotten to play it when it was actually new.

p1p1 Nice open. :)

p1p7 Fists of Ironwood is better, especially if you wind up with something that cares about enchantments.

p1p8, p1p12, p1p14 I'm a little confused. You're in Golgari, which means you should be aiming for Gruul in pack 2 and Rakdos pack 3. Also, you have Galvanic Arc. But here you take three blue cards over red cards--bad red cards, admittedly, but they could be 23rd cards if needed.

p2p1 Again, I don't understand why you're in blue. You have no exciting blue cards, so you seem to be in blue just on the back of Watery Grave, which isn't really that exciting in Limited. Exhumer Thrull is great, Gruul Signet is obviously great.

p2p2 Another Gruul Signet, and Scab-Clan Mauler. Anyway, I'll quit harping about G/R/B and go with you into G/R/U (especially since it ended up working so well!).

p3 Holy poo poo.

p3p7 I might take Coiling Oracle instead.

I think getting into blue to start pack 2 was dangerous, but you either got lucky or read the table right, and it paid off handsomely. I'll go with the latter. :D Congrats on your win.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Some tips on this draft would be appreciated : http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2ww8t

I think I made a couple of mistakes, but was over all pretty happy with the draft. Won the first game 2-0, and lost the second 1-2 when he had Archon and Sun Titan to lock out some of my better dudes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cercies posted:

Some tips on this draft would be appreciated : http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2ww8t

I think I made a couple of mistakes, but was over all pretty happy with the draft. Won the first game 2-0, and lost the second 1-2 when he had Archon and Sun Titan to lock out some of my better dudes.

P2P1 You're pretty set on WG currently. Is Djinn really worth jumping ship for? Lawkeeper it up and keep on color. Hope for the croc to table. Guy isn't worth enough to raredraft, and I don't think giving up a lawkeeper is worth hating it out.
P2P4 Hunter's Insight is an amazing card in green.
P2P6 I'm seeing this on a bet on whether or not you see Sacred Wolf. I'd normally take the basilisk here, but if you get a few wolves the enchantment makes sense.

P3P3 You do have a decent number of flyers, but removal is removal. Plummet.
P3P7 I think I'd have taken the Griffon here as your mana seems to be slated towards G and you may not be able to play him until turn 3 or so depending on your hand. May be misremembering picks, though.

Pretty decent deck, though you didn't luck out with any wolves and your only safe bet on enchantments = Cudgel Troll while you have the regen mana up. Could've used some more spiders/webs too, but can't work if you don't open them.

Against things like Sun Titan and Archon I'd just pray you were able to find a web with spinner out and continue to throw webs at them during their turn. Yes, they'll fall off during the end step- but you'll have stalled a turn of attack.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

zerox147o posted:

Against things like Sun Titan and Archon I'd just pray you were able to find a web with spinner out and continue to throw webs at them during their turn. Yes, they'll fall off during the end step- but you'll have stalled a turn of attack.

Well he did get an O-Ring. Also Plummet would have worked for Archon, hopefully you don't have anything awesome out when you do it though. Lawkeeper deals with both pretty cleanly as well.

And I agree - I wouldn't have moved to blue for a Djinn (and then you past on a Sphinx P2P2??). It's an alright card, but not as amazing as it seems at first.

Also that pack (P1P3) was pretty hosed. I mean seriously what was in there that you got passed a Serra Angel, Lawkeeper and O-Ring?? If there wasn't a Foil and non-foil Titan or something in there I have no idea why all three of those are still in the pack.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

subx posted:

Well he did get an O-Ring. Also Plummet would have worked for Archon, hopefully you don't have anything awesome out when you do it though. Lawkeeper deals with both pretty cleanly as well.

And I agree - I wouldn't have moved to blue for a Djinn (and then you past on a Sphinx P2P2??). It's an alright card, but not as amazing as it seems at first.

Also that pack (P1P3) was pretty hosed. I mean seriously what was in there that you got passed a Serra Angel, Lawkeeper and O-Ring?? If there wasn't a Foil and non-foil Titan or something in there I have no idea why all three of those are still in the pack.

Remember that Plummeting an Archon will cause it to O-Ring one of your permanents whereas locking it down with a Lawkeeper or Webs will keep it from doing so.

I think the Djinn was just a hate/rare drafting. It is a strong body and card advantage in one, though it isn't even worth a ticket.

By pack 3 it is pretty much too late to switch colors if you weren't already invested in it no matter what you open. This will lead to the occasional amazing string of picks of the same color.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

zerox147o posted:

Remember that Plummeting an Archon will cause it to O-Ring one of your permanents whereas locking it down with a Lawkeeper or Webs will keep it from doing so.

Hence why I said "and hope you don't have anything awesome out when you do it." And that's exactly what I meant by Lawkeeper dealing with them "cleanly."

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

zerox147o posted:

I think the Djinn was just a hate/rare drafting. It is a strong body and card advantage in one, though it isn't even worth a ticket.

By pack 3 it is pretty much too late to switch colors if you weren't already invested in it no matter what you open. This will lead to the occasional amazing string of picks of the same color.

Djinn was a straight up hate draft. I would have thought about changing if the cards had been there early in pack 2, but I felt that card is too strong to pass. Looking back I regret not taking the lawkeeper, since it is what got me the one win in that titan/archon match.

Thanks for the responses all.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Reminder that hate drafting simply isn't worth it when you still can clearly improve your own deck with a pick.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cercies posted:

Djinn was a straight up hate draft. I would have thought about changing if the cards had been there early in pack 2, but I felt that card is too strong to pass. Looking back I regret not taking the lawkeeper, since it is what got me the one win in that titan/archon match.

Thanks for the responses all.

Hurting a deck you may not even face < improving your deck. Worry about hate drafting when you're on dead packs.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

To reiterate what everyone is saying, NEVER HATEDRAFT unless there is literally nothing else in the pack you would ever, ever play. If you see something powerful out of color, fuckin pass it! You WANT people you are passing it to to go into a color other than yours, so give them a reason to.

This is also why trying to stay in one color for the entire first pack is a good idea.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 14, 2011

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Okie dokie. This thing seems to have cut off some of my commentary, maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to save before going on to the next one. But here is a draft from yesterday in which I pop Inferno Titan, stumble through some mediocre red and green picks to support it, and lose in round two of 4322.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wx0i

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
is BW as bad as it seems in m12? I've tried it a couple of times and there is some synergy there but I end up dying to random monored decks a lot, and I can't tell if it's just a sample size issue or if I am loving up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TheAttackSlug posted:

Okie dokie. This thing seems to have cut off some of my commentary, maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to save before going on to the next one. But here is a draft from yesterday in which I pop Inferno Titan, stumble through some mediocre red and green picks to support it, and lose in round two of 4322.

A couple of things I'm seeing -

p1p3 - The looter is good, I would have taken Jace's Archivist. It's a legitimately good card and the fact that it is there in this pack shows that blue is at least coming your way. If the Archivist isn't there, looter for sure.
p1p4 - Three good blue cards and a bunch of green. Llanowar Elves isn't a card that makes me want to jump into Green, even this early. Again, Blue seems more open than green, especially considering the previous pick.
p1p5 - Taking Rampant Growth over playable dudes like Sacred Wolf or Skywinder Drake is not the way I would go. Sacred Wolf is a much better Green card for both signalling and power.
p1p6 - I'd probably take the Rusted Sentinel here, although a Bear is a Bear (is a bear is a bear)
p2p4 - I'd take the Outrage here. You have a few Webs, but Outrage is just great removal, and it beats the Beserker. Although Beserker + Trollhide is pretty sweet.
p2p5 - Taking the Elite Vanguard here is bad, Trollhide is a great card, especially on Sacred Wolf or Fleetwing.
p3p2 - I'd probably take one of the Green dudes or the red Giant here, as hating the white card really does nothing for your deck.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TheAttackSlug posted:

P1P3 Good call with the Looter over the Fleetwing. You've got a card worth cycling to.
P1P4 You've seen a few straight good blue cards come your way. Pack 4 is pretty much a good indicator that there will be more coming unless packs were stacked. Why are you going green when your only card is the Web? Chasm Drake and Fleetwing are both the poo poo. Them + Divination in the pack are just screaming "play blue" to me.
P1P5 Skywinder.
P1P6 Manic Vandal or Rusted Sentinel depending on preference if you're RU. Hell, even with green i'm not sure if the bear is the right pick over either as much as the format relies on trading bears.

Ignoring my own decisions and going with the idea of being GR now.

P2P4 Stormblood is good and all, but def not a card you'd take over quality removal like Chandra's.
P2P5 You don't have a single white playable and there is a Trollhide here. You for some reason want to play G, but are passing one of its best commons for offcolor.
P2P10 Snag the Fog for the sideboard + signaling purposes (though the people who will see it are only going to affect your 5+ picks anyway).

P3P2 You aren't white. Rhino helps your deck. Read above posts on hate drafting.
P3P6 You are removal light with 0 flyers. Plummet.

This draft went downhill from pick 4. You had no reason to be in green. There were tons of available blue picks from quality fliers to card draw to counters. There was potential for a great RU aggro deck with the Inferno to come in and finish games that got drawn out.

Gyshall posted:

p1p3 - The looter is good, I would have taken Jace's Archivist. It's a legitimately good card and the fact that it is there in this pack shows that blue is at least coming your way. If the Archivist isn't there, looter for sure.

Jace's Archivist is a pretty late pick usually as it is very hard to use without giving your opponent the same advantage you are gaining yourself. You're either giving them cards or letting them cycle into their answers. Not to mention late game it may only be good for 1 or 2 cards. Someone who has used it more can comment further, but I avoid playing this card and will always pick the Looter (or Fleetwing) first.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

zerox147o posted:

Jace's Archivist is a pretty late pick usually as it is very hard to use without giving your opponent the same advantage you are gaining yourself. You're either giving them cards or letting them cycle into their answers. Not to mention late game it may only be good for 1 or 2 cards. Someone who has used it more can comment further, but I avoid playing this card and will always pick the Looter (or Fleetwing) first.

I couldn't disagree more. I consider Jace's Archivist easily firstpickable. Not a true bomb, but I'd take it on the level of top removal. Like, P1P1 I think Jace's Archivist vs. Doom Blade is a tough decision.

It is also actually very easy to get massive card advantage off him, since you can use him in the opponent's draw step. If you also have bounce (which I heard might be available in blue,) then hey all your bounce cards also become removal. That cantrips. It's very easy to set up situations where he completely breaks the game in half.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 14, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

TheAttackSlug posted:

p1p4 Looter's better than Web, Fleetwing and Drake are both better than Elves (so is Basilisk). Pick that Drake.

p1p5 A Drake is again the best card, but I'd actually strongly consider Fling if you want to play that Titan. Even then, Wolf is the better green card (because Trollhide).

p1p9 Lightning Elemental isn't exciting, but it's better than a narrow sideboard card.

p1p12 Greatsword is horrible in G/R, where you have no fliers.

p2p1 Pretty bad pack, but this is another chance to cut red via Fling.

p2p4 Outrage is definitely the superior card, and I think at this point your draft pretty much hinges on more good red coming somewhere, so you may as well take the risk.

p2p5 This is a pretty ridiculous hatedraft with Trollhide chilling right there. Even Fog is credible out of the sideboard.

p2p7 Treason but no Flings :smith:

p2p9 I am quite puzzled how one could seem to prefer Titanic Growth over Trollhide.

p2p10 Why?

p2p12 You never want to play War Paint, I'd hate out the horse for blocking my bears.

p3p2 Basilisk. You're not in white.

p3p3 NB: Neither Blood Ogre nor Stormblood Berserkers is a bear. fake edit: Neither is Garruk's Companion.

p3p10 hahaha you drafted against someone who picked Rhino over Basilisk.

p3p11 Are you paying attention to your mana curve/number of playables during the draft? By my count, you end up with exactly 23 playables, including lowlights like Brindle Boar, in a deck that wants to run 16 land. Also, you seem to have exactly one 4-drop. Lightning Elemental fixes both of these problems.

In general, you passed up playable cards for unplayable ones several times, as well as tending to value mana fixing a little too highly. p2p5 and p3p2 were especially egregious cases. You went into green for no clear reason, and wound up without any of the really good cards that make it worthwhile. Similarly, you forced red for your Titan, even though it wasn't coming. One of these two is defensible, but the combination was obviously not good. Black and blue were both open, and one of them should have been taken.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2011

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ashenai posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I consider Jace's Archivist easily firstpickable. Not a true bomb, but I'd take it on the level of top removal. Like, P1P1 I think Jace's Archivist vs. Doom Blade is a tough decision.

It is also actually very easy to get massive card advantage off him, since you can use him in the opponent's draw step. If you also have bounce (which I heard might be available in blue,) then hey all your bounce cards also become removal. That cantrips. It's very easy to set up situations where he completely breaks the game in half.

I'll have to make a conscious effort to give that a shot next time I see him, though I am trying not to draft much until INN releases. Hadn't thought about Unsummon/etc + activate during the draw step. I stand corrected. Guess you just have to build around him a little bit.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

yeah I was pretty down on the Archivist when the set first came out but I've since seen the light. Its easily a first pick bomb.

Its very easy to get card advantage out of him and he doubles as a possible win condition. I even once used him to force a draw in a Magic Online draft, since the game was already unwinnable for me and a draw in a single-elimination queue is essentially a do-over.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Ashenai posted:

I agree 100%, there are few cards I'm more excited to get passed to me than Archivist (actually probably none since literally every card I grade as better is probably taken first). He has exceptional synergy with stuff that dumps out of your hand quickly, and I've often gone turn 1 Bear, turn 2 Looter, turn 3 Archivist, turn 4 dump hand and then Archivist on their draw.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I agree 100%, there are few cards I'm more excited to get passed to me than Archivist (actually probably none since literally every card I grade as better is probably taken first). He has exceptional synergy with stuff that dumps out of your hand quickly, and I've often gone turn 1 Bear, turn 2 Looter, turn 3 Archivist, turn 4 dump hand and then Archivist on their draw.

Game 2/3 if you know they have a bomb, do you sideboard it out or hope that you make them discard it rather than draw? Or is this too specific a question and would rely on knowing the rest of your deck construction.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hmm I'll have to try playing Archivist if I ever see him in a draft. Unsummon and Aether Adept are already two of my favorite cards in the format.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Welp, I just got swept in the second round of an 8-4 by HideousVisage.dec. It's been fun, time to end the world.

e: Aaaand followed up with a round-1 loss to Goblin Tunneler with a 2x Mind Control, Arachnus Spinner deck

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 15, 2011

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Here is my latest Swiss abortion.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2ww92

A blue-white skies deck with 4 pacifisms, an O-Ring, and a pick 8 archivist. It sounded great in theory but it had no offense. Lost fast to red/black bloodthirst, lost slow to green/white do nothing, won against a black/green deck that had a grave titan but not enough skies control to deal with 3 pacifisms by turn 6.

What I Learned: draft arbalests

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

TheAttackSlug posted:

A blue-white skies deck with 4 pacifisms, an O-Ring, and a pick 8 archivist. It sounded great in theory but it had no offense. Lost fast to red/black bloodthirst, lost slow to green/white do nothing, won against a black/green deck that had a grave titan but not enough skies control to deal with 3 pacifisms by turn 6.

Did Green/White do-nothing mill you to death with seven seconds left on the clock?

Because if so, that was me.

Also, you should feel bad, because I am terrible and also went 1-2. :downs:

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Yeeeeeep.

Sup bro. That was a fun little buzzer bomb at the end.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

TheAttackSlug posted:

Yeeeeeep.

Sup bro. That was a fun little buzzer bomb at the end.

If it makes you feel any better, I had Overrun in my hand and probably could have won even if you hadn't milled yourself to death. :shobon:

Kind of funny to see that happen right after everyone in this thread was discussing how great Jace's Archivist is. Not that that makes it bad, obviously, but I guess there always is that risk.

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This was my fist NMS draft. I went 1-2 in the first round. Losing to Karn, and Blight Dragon.... One of which I passed.

So make fun away.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2x2ep

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Viscardus posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I had Overrun in my hand and probably could have won even if you hadn't milled yourself to death. :shobon:

Kind of funny to see that happen right after everyone in this thread was discussing how great Jace's Archivist is. Not that that makes it bad, obviously, but I guess there always is that risk.

Well, there's a context to almost every card when someone says it is good. Not all cards, mind you; like grave titan. Merfolk looter is a pretty bad card if you're trying to fish up some goblin tunnelers. Archivist is kind of the same way in that if you're not really looking for anything (or milling) it isn't going to be super awesome.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Arrg posted:

This was my fist NMS draft. I went 1-2 in the first round. Losing to Karn, and Blight Dragon.... One of which I passed.

So make fun away.

p1p3 - Grim Affliction is solid removal, Melira is a Grizzly Bear
p1p4 - You are already in green and you take a crappy 1-drop over a good piece of artifact removal?
p1p6 - Mental Misstep doesn't do anything in draft, Maul Splicer and Suture Priest do.
pack 2 - I don't even know. Did you know that Fangren Marauder is really, really good?

Yeah you really need to take removal in drafts. You had a shitload passed to you in all colors and you took none of it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arrg posted:

So make fun away.

P1P2 Whispering Specter is a fantastic card for infect, and Pristine Talisman is mediocre.
P1P3 Melira is mediocre, because there's so much stuff that kills her. Grim Affliction is the pick.
P1P4 If you want a green card here, Glissa's Scorn is the pick. Glistener Elf ain't that good.
P1P6 Mental Misstep is useless in limited. Maul Splicer is playable if you're staying in green, but I'm looking at the Mindculling here.
P2P2 Um... Neurok Commando is kind of bad. Melira's Keepers is fine in green, but Myr Turbine is the pick.
P2P4 Fangren Marauder is one of the best commons in the set. It way outclasses Serum Raker. I'm wondering at this point what was the moment you decided that blue was one of your colours. You didn't get a single playable blue card in pack one, but now you're taking mediocre blue stuff over great green stuff.
P2P5 Core Prowler goes great with your infect guys.
P2P7 Fangren Marauder is a fantastic card. Tangle Hulk is not.
P3P1 I think either Cystbearer or Molder Beast are better than the Replica.
P3P2 Even at this point, Skittles is the pick. Your blue cards aren't that good, so you can afford to jump out of it.
P3P3 Trigon of Corruption is fantastic removal, even if you're not in black. You don't take Sylvok Lifestaff over it.
P3P4 Riddlesmith is much better than the Seastrider.
P3P7 A 1/1 won't usually be relevant, but a 2/1 unblockable dude with an upside will always be.
P3P9 You have a great green dino right there in the pack. Don't take the bad removal.

This draft was kind of a train wreck :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is it actually possible to draft urza block online anymore or should I just crack my prize packs from back when they were doing those drafts?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

TheAttackSlug posted:

p1p7 Arbalest, as you know. There's really no reason you should be considering anything but U/W at this point.

p1p8 And here's the very solid Benalish Veteran. Unsummon isn't great.

p3p1 I might have taken Jens, in case you needed to splash green or red...

p3p2 ...for something like this guy.

p3p8 As much as everyone says Archivist is the poo poo, you probably want Pegasus here.

p3p9 Auramancer is at worst a Grey Ogre, but in this deck it's amazing!

I really don't think you had a bad draft, though, to be honest. Your deck would have been better if you'd picked a flier over Pacifism once or twice, but that's all hindsight: you had no way to know that you'd end up with more removal than good creatures. Unfortunately, the packs fell in such a way that you had almost no margin for error, so the couple mistakes that you did make wound up costing you.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 15, 2011

Hydros
May 23, 2007
sup bro?
Lately I have been addicted to drafting. I have probably played at least 2 drafts a day since m12 came out. With that said, I am still not very good at it.

My latest attempt:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wxsq

White/Blue was just wide open. Towards end of pack 2 I realized I have a pretty aggro deck. 2x Lawkeeper, 2x Bears, 2x O-Ring! I had to cut a bunch of cards which I am terrible at, but here is what did not make the final deck:

- Crown of Empires (with two lawkeepers this card looks too slow)
- Timely Reinforcements (seems like this has no place in an aggro deck)
- Cancel
- Spinner splash (too slow?)
- Assault Griffen (ice cage took the spot)
- First Strike Griffen
- Chasm Drake
- Aven Fleetwing (no enchants aside from spirit mantle and 2/2 for 4CMC seems slow)
- 2/1 Merfolk

The only 5 drop I kept was the sphinx. Should I have played the other fliers as well?

Hydros fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 15, 2011

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
As far as your spinner splash goes, Carnage worm is a bigger bomb, as you aren't in green, and don't have any spiders or arachnus webs. You also had a few picks that were down right strange. end of pack 2 I think you take a forest of apmhin cutthroat which is a playable blue crature, while you are in white and blue. You pass on a lot of siege mastadons as well very late for cards in other colors. Neither of these guys are awesome but they both have a high toughness, which is kinda lacking in your deck.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I don't really consider spinner much of a bomb unless you are packing some webs to go along with it. I would've rather had the adaptive in that spot.

I would have probably built my deck a little like this:

Mindcontrol x1
Oring x2
Lawkeeper x2
Looter x2
Elite Vanguard x1
Archivist x1
Skywinder Drake x1
Phantasmal bear x2
Spirit Mantle x1
Azure Mage x1
Aven Fleetwing x1
Assault Griffin x1
Stormfront Pegasus x1
Belltower Sphinx x1
Mana leak x1
Chasm Drake x1
Coral Merfolk x1
Peregrine Griffin x1
Griffin Sentinel x1

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Here is Stovetop posted:

As far as your spinner splash goes, Carnage worm is a bigger bomb, as you aren't in green, and don't have any spiders or arachnus webs. You also had a few picks that were down right strange. end of pack 2 I think you take a forest of apmhin cutthroat which is a playable blue crature, while you are in white and blue. You pass on a lot of siege mastadons as well very late for cards in other colors. Neither of these guys are awesome but they both have a high toughness, which is kinda lacking in your deck.

It was a foil land, Cutthroat is pretty meh, whatever.

I'm pretty sure I'd have snagged Automaton over the Spinner. This deck is so unbelievable that I just see no reason to chance getting tripped up on mana for so little upside.

As for the deckbuilding, I'd rather you upload your deck before I comment too much, but there's basically never a credible reason to cut Assault Griffin from a white deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hydros posted:

Lately I have been addicted to drafting. I have probably played at least 2 drafts a day since m12 came out. With that said, I am still not very good at it.

My latest attempt:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wxsq

White/Blue was just wide open. Towards end of pack 2 I realized I have a pretty aggro deck. 2x Lawkeeper, 2x Bears, 2x O-Ring! I had to cut a bunch of cards which I am terrible at, but here is what did not make the final deck:

- Crown of Empires (with two lawkeepers this card looks too slow)
- Timely Reinforcements (seems like this has no place in an aggro deck)
- Cancel
- Spinner splash (too slow?)
- Assault Griffen (ice cage took the spot)
- First Strike Griffen
- Chasm Drake
- Aven Fleetwing (no enchants aside from spirit mantle and 2/2 for 4CMC seems slow)
- 2/1 Merfolk

The only 5 drop I kept was the sphinx. Should I have played the other fliers as well?

P1P1 has a ton of playable black and red, even green. You immediately know your left is going to be fighting over it. Stingerflinger, Gorehorn, Chandra's, Runsecar, Doomblade. Off the bat your sights are on WU (peaking ahead this seems to work out).
P1P3 I'd normally take the Looter or Adept, but there has been a lot of Archivist discussion the past page or two.
P1P9 Lawkeeper tabled in a pack where it was the only white pick. Wow. You're pretty much home free.

P2P7 Seriously? I want to draft this table.
P2P9 :regd08:

Just stopping here as the entire time I have no different picks from you and am just jealous I wasn't in that seat.

one thing I would like to point out, though, is that your P3P1 is the correct time to be hate drafting. There were no picks in that pack that made your deck stronger, but you had seen quite a few webs and spiders go past you to your left in pack 1 and know that within a seat or 2 there is someone playing green that that spider will be a house for.