Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

LoKout posted:

psexec.exe deltree /y

I don't really know what you're getting at with "his setup is HTTPS enabled". I'm assuming you have remote access to the system, which means you can do all kinds of stuff to the perp.

Remote wipe is not going to work very well without booting an alternative OS, though, since Windows will freak when you start deleting system files. It will likely take care of the questionable files - or you could target them directly with a batch file or remote access.

It might be better to change the desktop to an image saying you've contacted the authorities, call ### to the return the laptop no questions asked. Or just spy on the person for a while and report what he's doing to police.

Yeah, remote access. I have scheduled a teamviewer installation next time the computer will come online. - I'm using a (for you guys) unknown deployment system, but since I'm also an employee at this company, it wouldn't be kosher mentioning names here :)

I suggested the client something similar to the wallpaper switch, but he wants wipe..

For now, I will modify a Winpe image, and just wipe all partitions, unless someone comes up with a easy 3'rd part tool to do this while the system is online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
What's everyone doing for encryption? I work for a healthcare company and we use PGP whole disk encryption but I hate the fact that it's not centrally manageable. Anything out there that does whole disk encryption that's better then PGP?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Noghri_ViR posted:

What's everyone doing for encryption? I work for a healthcare company and we use PGP whole disk encryption but I hate the fact that it's not centrally manageable. Anything out there that does whole disk encryption that's better then PGP?

Using TrueCrypt whole disk encryption here. Also not centrally managed, but free. Bitlocker is probably better but requires Win 7 Enterprise.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Using TrueCrypt whole disk encryption here. Also not centrally managed, but free. Bitlocker is probably better but requires Win 7 Enterprise.

That's the on frustrating thing about Bitlocker, when I buy a laptop through Dell or whatever I can't get it with Enterprise already on it. I have to go through a reseller and get an anytime upgrade which blows donkey dicks.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
edit: Nevermind

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 16, 2011

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm having a really weird problem with SCCM 2007 and Software Updates. I've created a package for Office 2010 updates and the clients just won't detect the updates. SCCM says that the clients need them but the clients themselves don't seem to detect them at all.

It's probably something really simple and stupid but I've just been banging my head against a wall with it for a day now and I'm not getting anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas?

e: I should mention that other software updates appear to be working fine.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Force a client update and check the log file? Did you create a distribution point? gently caress I hate SCCM for updates. WSUS for life.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I've been forcing the client to update and watching the logs. The regular Windows updates show up as installed but the Office ones just never show up in the logs at all.

I have a distribution point and the update package is installed. It's setup exactly the same as my other package for regular Windows updates so I'm pretty confused.

I don't get how they took something that works so well (WSUS) and broke it so horribly for SCCM.

e: gently caress it, I'm just going to delete my SUP and use WSUS. This isn't worth it.

e2: :lol: my "naw gently caress man it wouldn't work like this" try worked. Something about having two packages targeting the same collection...they get detected consecutively and the second one overrides the first or something v:shobon:v

Number19 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 16, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm riding the SCCM Updates train all the way to... I don't even know this analogy sucks.

I'm also interested in SCUP, the stuff in this guide makes me really excited:
http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/the-complete-scup-2011-installation-and-configuration-guide/

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone know when SCCM 12 is coming out of beta?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

We use: http://wsushelper.codeplex.com/

It supplements the WSUS console to performs some additional functions, such as:

Copying update approvals from one group to another.
Bulk management of client group membership.
Reconciling WSUS client data with the Active Directory.
Auditing the deployment status of all the updates associated with a particular Microsoft KB article.

Oh and gently caress SCE 2010 its a piece of poo poo!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Has anyone else deployed Chrome Frame?

My manager holds a strict policy of IE only on the corporate computers but doesn't seem to give a poo poo about installing Chrome Frame for certain web applications we develop in house. It works amazing for us as we no longer have to support IE's massacre of anything we develop.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Honey Im Homme posted:

Oh and gently caress SCE 2010 its a piece of poo poo!

:( so so so true

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
What are people using for quick installation or procedural documentation? At the moment, my organization is using word documents, but it's a pain in the rear end inserting screenshots or creating links that change. We tried out Windows 7 built-in tool which works ok, but still requires the word like capability having to precisely edit things.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Italy's Chicken posted:

What are people using for quick installation or procedural documentation? At the moment, my organization is using word documents, but it's a pain in the rear end inserting screenshots or creating links that change. We tried out Windows 7 built-in tool which works ok, but still requires the word like capability having to precisely edit things.

For really quick stuff Word is probably the easiest program that I've found. You just have to know some of the shortcuts to get things going well. Keep things in lists, try to save inserting screenshots for the end, and ctrl+enter to jump to a new page works really well for keeping things together.

Wikis work well for documentation too. If you're quick with the markup they could easily be faster than a Word doc, but I'm not so fast and therefor prefer Word.

Putting together documentation quickly and well is mostly about getting things setup. Run through the procedure 3 times - first run get some notes about what you did. Second run verify and expand your notes and put them into step by step format. Third run take and insert screenshots where appropriate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Number19 posted:

e2: :lol: my "naw gently caress man it wouldn't work like this" try worked. Something about having two packages targeting the same collection...they get detected consecutively and the second one overrides the first or something v:shobon:v
Hahaha gently caress SCCM

LoKout posted:

Putting together documentation quickly and well is mostly about getting things setup. Run through the procedure 3 times - first run get some notes about what you did. Second run verify and expand your notes and put them into step by step format. Third run take and insert screenshots where appropriate.
I'd be curious how you'd document an exchange migration.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2011

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It was actually even stupider than that. I was trying to deploy SP1 for Office 2010. It appears that if you don't download certain languages then the update fails to deploy because...uh...gently caress if I know.

Yay Microsoft :downs:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Number19 posted:

It was actually even stupider than that. I was trying to deploy SP1 for Office 2010. It appears that if you don't download certain languages then the update fails to deploy because...uh...gently caress if I know.

Yay Microsoft :downs:

Yeah, I just hit that poo poo. It's because Office 2010 installs a bunch of secret language proofing packs, so you basically need to put that in a seperate package and tell that package to download all the languages.

Here's a forum post about it on technet:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsum/thread/a1b8dc7d-f99c-429c-81e3-ebb242397a94/

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I just hit that poo poo. It's because Office 2010 installs a bunch of secret language proofing packs, so you basically need to put that in a seperate package and tell that package to download all the languages.

Here's a forum post about it on technet:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsum/thread/a1b8dc7d-f99c-429c-81e3-ebb242397a94/

This falls into that special kind of stupid where I'm actually in awe of it. It's just so...Microsoft.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Does anyone have a recommendation of how to accomplish unified print quotas in an environment with CUPS and a Windows print server, preferably one that doesn't involve purchasing commercial software? I'm having a difficult time finding anything on Google that doesn't suggest buying a solution. We're currently using PyKota to manage print quotas with CUPS and are using the free version of PaperCut to log print requests, but we don't have a way to enforce the quotas on the Windows side.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adocious posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation of how to accomplish unified print quotas in an environment with CUPS and a Windows print server, preferably one that doesn't involve purchasing commercial software? I'm having a difficult time finding anything on Google that doesn't suggest buying a solution. We're currently using PyKota to manage print quotas with CUPS and are using the free version of PaperCut to log print requests, but we don't have a way to enforce the quotas on the Windows side.

We gave up on PyKota and switched to PaperCut. Apparently the only problem is that there's no authentication with CUPS, so you can pass any username in an LPR command and use someone's print quota that way.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I have a question about event subscriptions that I'm hoping somebody can help me with.

I've configured a VM to deal with event subscriptions and alert tasks for a few systems, and I'm basically trying to have the collection system collect events in say, the "Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Exchange\HighAvailability\Operational" on one of the exchange servers.

The problem is, that bolded event channel does not exist on the collection system (since Exchange is not installed on it) so it does not offer it to me as a selection in the subscription screen. I tried to simply generate the .xml for it on the exchange system and paste it into a custom subscription on the collection system, but when I go to create the filter it barks at me about "the specified channel could not be found".

I assume I am going to run into this issue with some other services on remote systems that have things like SQL installed on it as well.

Am I boned? I can always create the alert tasks on the individual servers but I would like to centralize it as much as possible. Is there a way to import these specific event channels into my collection system so I can create a proper subscription?

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Helmet Jap posted:

My boss keeps on buying Dell machines with OEM licenses (we buy machines as we need). I cannot convince him to just go VL so that is a losing battle.

Our company: about 300 people with 5 different configurations (almost all windows 7 users)
Technology: We currently use Ghost 2.5

what we want: use minimum WDS as I hear wonderful things about it. possibly SCCM

is there any logical way of achieving an easy to maintain imaging/deployment in our case? I keep on reading that unless you have Volume License, you are kind of screwed. the only way to get around it is to purchase 1 VL (but only can be sysprepped twice or something like that)

You can deploy retail Windows 7 through WDS/MDT and then set the product key using Slmgr.vbs /ipk. I scripted it to read a .ini with a list of computer names and matching keys. I can't remember if/what I used to stop it prompting for the key during the actual install.

Volume licences are 'upgrade' anyway, so he'd still have to buy Windows on the computer.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Started my project to install and migrate everything to SMP 7.1 today ohgod i have no idea what im doing and i even went to training :shepface:

Alektorophobia
Apr 7, 2005

I don't have to listen to you! You're a dog! You don't have a soul!

IT Guy posted:

Has anyone else deployed Chrome Frame?

My manager holds a strict policy of IE only on the corporate computers but doesn't seem to give a poo poo about installing Chrome Frame for certain web applications we develop in house. It works amazing for us as we no longer have to support IE's massacre of anything we develop.

We plan on deploying it. We have to use IE8 for other plugins that don't work with IE9. So we are deploying the Chrome Frame to support additional webpages.

grab the offline MSI installer for Chrome Frame

Administrators guide to install Chrome Frame.

I'll also provide a sample batch script to install the plug-in. Enjoy.

code:
:: Google Chrome Frame Addon 14.0.835.202

if not exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Google\Chrome Frame\Application\chrome.exe" goto install
if exist "%path%\to log file\chromeframe14.0.835.202.log" goto end

:install
start "" /wait msiexec /i "\\server\share\chromeframe14.0.835.202\GoogleChromeframeStandaloneEnterprise.msi" /passive /l*v "%path%\to log file\chromeframe14.0.835.202.log" /norestart

:end

Alektorophobia fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 7, 2011

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here's a question for you larger-scale folk

redirected folders is the devil, but also makes backing up user data and migrating machines so goddamn easy. still though, the number of times I've lost data with redirected folders is ridiculous, and I just operate small 10 user networks.

most notably and irritatingly, sometimes when a user logs in to a workstation he's never logged in to before, 'offline folders' will apparently pull all the users data off the network and on to that machine, leaving the poor guy freaking the gently caress out - until he logs in 3 times to the new machine and (presumably) all the GP settings are applied or something.

but, on the plus side, all the syncing and 'offline' use is really beneficial for the companies I work with - guys with laptops like that all their documents are both on their laptop and desktop, and later sync up automatically if they take their work on the road for a week or whatever.

SO

how do you guys in larger shops get this sort of functionality? I can't imagine redirected folders being manageable in a larger organization?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
How are you losing data with redirected folders? Are they vanishing, being deleted, is Windows gobbling them up? While redirected folder and roaming profiles can act up, we've never lost any data in the places we've used them.

We've found that placing shortcuts on the desktop to drive letters or UNC mappings is easier for people to deal with though.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
What OS are you supporting? Folder Redirection is much improved in Windows 7 compared to XP. That said, you really shouldn't be losing data if you have correctly configured Roaming Profiles with Folder Redirection and by having both you should be minimising the amount of content you have to pull down from the Profile share. Microsoft is pushing both technologies as part of its "user state virtualisation" initiative.

There is also a Group Policy setting in both XP and 7 to force complete application of GPO's on the first boot at the cost of a delayed startup time.

I've done Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection in 4000 seat networks, without any major issues, managed via Group Policy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hmm, I'll have to research that 'first boot' GPO option. That's my main major complaint.

I'm doing 100% windows 7 and SBS 2008.

'losing data' seems to happen in that strange gap between when a device is first provisioned with a user's data. I really have no christing idea why it goes into limbo, but almost without fail, the situation will go like :

user has desktop computer, and is logged in
user gets laptop, which is joined to domain and assigned to user.
user logs into his/her account on laptop for first time
user sees no documents.
user logs off, and back on - user sees documents on laptop, and maybe leaves for the day
next day user logs on desktop computer and flips the gently caress out because none of his documents are in 'my documents' folder on the desktop machine. Browsing redirected folders on server also is empty.

they call me, I look on their laptop, and find all their poo poo. they calm down. I tell them to log back off and back on 3 times and reboot on both machines, and eventually everything syncs back up.

but christ is that painful. I've googled my butt off and can't find anything on what's going on. maybe the complete application of GPOs will help?

anyways - so about the data loss - one time this happened, and a user noticed that all their documents were slowly disappearing from their desktop/server share, and hard shut down their laptop and desktop, and did some weird poo poo with rebooting them. by the time I got to the scene, there was a half-copy of their redirected folders on their laptop, absolutely nothing on the server or the offline files cache on their computer, and it'd happened over a weekend and the company backup policy sucked and had already overwritten the backup I coulda recovered their poo poo from. v:)v ugh.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
It almost sounds like your policies for folder redirection are not the same on both machines. There is an option in the GP to move the documents, are the policies the same on both? Also look into slow link detection. 7 has some smart stuff around loading the profile the first time from the file share and then copying the data afterwards.

Eventing is pretty good on USERENV, if there are any profile issues there should be logs talking about them.

Are you also using Roaming Profiles as well? You should be, they are complimentary.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd be curious how you'd document an exchange migration.

I know this is kinda old, but my information might not apply in that situation. I was talking more repeatable scenarios. Of course, if you're consulting or working for a masochistic company perhaps an Exchange migration is repeated often.

In a complicated scenario - lab lab lab. If you've ever worked with an enterprise consulting company you'll realize this is how they develop all their procedures and framework documentation. Of course you can document on the first shot, but a good engineer/admin will have done research up front and outlined the procedure beforehand, so you're really just updating an existing doc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LoKout posted:

In a complicated scenario - lab lab lab. If you've ever worked with an enterprise consulting company you'll realize this is how they develop all their procedures and framework documentation. Of course you can document on the first shot, but a good engineer/admin will have done research up front and outlined the procedure beforehand, so you're really just updating an existing doc.

I haven't ever, and I'm pretty curious. How do they develop all their procedures and documentation? I'm actually working on a project right now, and I'm basically doing like 10 test migrations (access to SQL upsizing) and taking notes (and notes on notes) on absolutely everything that goes wrong and how to fix whatever goes wrong, until I have just one step by step checklist to go down to run on one of their test servers, which I can then just immediately get a round of feedback on, and soon after put into production.

In any case, I just made my little checklist procedure up since it seemed to make sense, but I'd love to know how the big boys do consulting projects. (since eventually I'd like to be more than just a one man shop)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I haven't ever, and I'm pretty curious. How do they develop all their procedures and documentation? I'm actually working on a project right now, and I'm basically doing like 10 test migrations (access to SQL upsizing) and taking notes (and notes on notes) on absolutely everything that goes wrong and how to fix whatever goes wrong, until I have just one step by step checklist to go down to run on one of their test servers, which I can then just immediately get a round of feedback on, and soon after put into production.

In any case, I just made my little checklist procedure up since it seemed to make sense, but I'd love to know how the big boys do consulting projects. (since eventually I'd like to be more than just a one man shop)
This is pretty much what we did when I worked at an "enterprise consulting" company.
Add a thin crust of prince 2 for larger jobs requiring 2+ specialists.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

evil_bunnY posted:

This is pretty much what we did when I worked at an "enterprise consulting" company.
Add a thin crust of prince 2 for larger jobs requiring 2+ specialists.

I'm not sure if that is reassuring or really frightening.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

After the 10th exchange migration or whatever it is you do, you kinda know the deal.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I have a question when it comes to Microsoft Licensing.

We have volume licenses for all of our servers which are currently all Windows Server 2003 R2. Over the next year we had planned on upgrading them all to Windows Server 2008 R2 and upgrading our servers. Here is the problem, all of our CALs are 2003. Does this mean we are going to have to purchase both 2003 and 2008 CALs until our upgrade is completely switched over?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

I'd always ask vendor to confirm, but 2008 CALs are okay for accessing 2003 boxen (downgrade rights), but 2003 is not good for 2008.

Where I'm at, we wouldn't buy any more CALs until your migration is complete and we knew what we were looking at (typically we just true-up once a year).

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

mute posted:

I'd always ask vendor to confirm, but 2008 CALs are okay for accessing 2003 boxen (downgrade rights), but 2003 is not good for 2008.

Where I'm at, we wouldn't buy any more CALs until your migration is complete and we knew what we were looking at (typically we just true-up once a year).

Perfect, that's what I'm looking for. We'll just drop all of our 2003 CALs and get 2008 CALs since they're backward compatible.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zapateria posted:

I've done this, and communication with the server seems ok. However, I never get the Software Update Agent UI showing up. I've checked the WindowsUpdates.log file in %WinDir% on clients, and it correctly checks for updates from the correct intranet server, except it never starts actually deploying the updates.

I am sorry if soemone hit this over the last 15 pages....

Computer Confg -> Admin Template -> Windows Update -> Configure Update. Set it to 3 or 4 and then go to "Allow Non-administrators to receive update notices" and enable that. I also turn off auto-restart, it pisses people off, but if they are restricted users they will get nagged every 10 minutes to reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

So what the gently caress Java. I'm trying to install 32 bit Java on a 64 bit Win 7 machine, because of course we still have 32 bit browsers. It looks like Java is making GBS threads itself because the MSI basically drops a zip file into the JRE directory, and then extracts it. But it just sits spinning its wheels forever, because I think it's looking in C:\Program Files, and not C:\Program Files (x86) for its Zip file.

I use the EXE and then command line it:

code:
 /s /v/"qr ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0 /L C:\temp\javasetup.log"
the /v passes the msi commands in quotes. You get a nice pretty log file to boot.