Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

And SG1 cost waaaaaay more than Warehouse 13, hence where we are at now.

Guys we gotta cut cost for this episode: http://tinyurl.com/42ps4ue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I could have sworn at one point or another they blamed the insta-translate on the Stargate itself.

Saveron_01 posted:

Make it spin. :colbert:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 13, 2011

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think the best route they could have gone would have been some kind of mass produced device like a bracelet or even just a little thing you hold in your pocket that gives you translation through some technological magic. Would have been a quick and easy solution that is easily explained by a quick scene in the pilot and then wouldn't have to be brought up unless they wanted to have language misunderstanding as a plot element.

In fact that's what I think I'll assume from now on anyway.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Goa'uld are really just super-invasive Babel Fish anyway.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Would you rather them have spent every episode like they did in the Pilot speaking in a new foreign language of the week and spending 30 minutes each episode figuring it out?

No, but that's basically what Daniel was doing for the full hour and a half he spent on-screen with that Unas and we're sitting here agreeing that we liked it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Eikre posted:

No, but that's basically what Daniel was doing for the full hour and a half he spent on-screen with that Unas and we're sitting here agreeing that we liked it.

shakaaaaaaaaaa

(when the walls fell :v: )

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Didn't they cook up some bullshit at some point like everyone speaks english because they system lords do and standardized it over the worlds they rule(d at some point)?

I mean, no, it doesn't explain away every planet they go to speaking english, and why the crap would ancient aliens speak a language that has really only been around in it's current form for a few hundred years but seriously who cares? Either you technobabble it like Farscape did or just ignore it because nobody wants to watch Space Translator: The Series.

The season 8 2-parter finale Mobius tried to explain it all (spoilered for those of you who are just starting to watch the series): When the team went back in time to ancient Egypt to retrieve the ZPM and got stuck, Daniel taught English to the natives and started the rebelion early, forcing Ra to leave the stargate on Earth, leaving the rebels free to roam the galaxy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mthrboard posted:

The season 8 2-parter finale Mobius tried to explain it all (spoilered for those of you who are just starting to watch the series): When the team went back in time to ancient Egypt to retrieve the ZPM and got stuck, Daniel taught English to the natives and started the rebelion early, forcing Ra to leave the stargate on Earth, leaving the rebels free to roam the galaxy.

That was an alternate timeline. Originally they did not go back and the rebellion happened in its own time but they hosed it up so a second team had to come.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh man, Mobius. Does anyone else feel like that one should have ended with the members of the second reality going back in time and incidentally producing the seminal event which causes the divergence to work out into the first reality? An endless loop of time travel producing the need for someone to time travel and change causality to produce the original need to time travel. I mean that's what I was expecting from the title anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm itching all over! This is just like that time I toked pot in college! :supaburn:

Rodney is the absolute best.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Rodney episodes: The best episodes.

I shall call this phenomena freeze lightning. :colbert:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

JetsGuy posted:

shakaaaaaaaaaa

(when the walls fell :v: )

Walter and Siler, when the chevrons locked!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hyperriker posted:

Apohphis, his eyes yellow!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Drighton posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, what's all this Star Trek comparison to SG1? SGU is the TNG of Stargate, and Eli is it's Wesley Crusher. :colbert:

SG1 just has more of a TOS feel: foam scenery, wobbly staff weapons, etc.
The early episodes were pretty TOS. The best one was the episode where they crash a UAV into a plant and make all the plant people sick. The UAV video is very obviously somebody with a camera since it's about 5 feet off the ground and not moving, and all the plant people have zippers on their backs. No attempt to hide it either, they kept putting their backs to the camera and you can see them just fine.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Saveron_01 posted:

I believe the premiere of episode 200 was the same day that SciFi/SyFy announced that they were canceling Stargate SG-1.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Hyperriker posted:

I like the cut of your jib, sir. :)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

JetsGuy posted:

Rodney episodes: The best episodes.

I actually think Rodney McKay's character progression is probably the best thing in all of Stargate.
EDIT:
In hindsight was there any other character who actually changed as much as he did in Stargate?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 16, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Changed or grew? Daniel changed a lot, but I wouldn't say there was really any character growth there.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Remember the big sciencetist guy that all the others would make fun? Can't remember his name at the moment but he appears in both Atlantis and original, he's a bigger guy, happy and friendly, Carter and Jack would make fun of him and he always had outlandish ideas like when he thought Danny boy and Vala were just super tiny instead of phased out of reality?

Yeah when he first appeared, I believe the first two or three times, he was an angry arrogant rear end worse than Rodney. Best example, he wanted to give up and abondon Jack on the planet he was stuck on with the ex-nid traitor guy.

Holy crap I really gotta re-watch the series. There was a time I could name every character, what's happened to me.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Dr. Lee

He's one of the few characters that has appeared on all 3 shows

edit for content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcpDX44ILU

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 16, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

IRQ posted:

Changed or grew? Daniel changed a lot, but I wouldn't say there was really any character growth there.
Grew I mean. I think my favorite McKay line is in the episode with the deralict Ancient ship. Teyla asked Rodney if what he is doing is a good idea. Rodney said,"No but Sheppard and I have gotten in the habit of saving each other lives and well its now my turn to save him."

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Not to mention Rodney got great episodes like 'Tao of Rodney' and 'The Shrine.' Any time an episode like that was focussed on Daniel, it seemed like time for Ham Shanks to come out. :hampants:

In case you can't tell, I vastly preferred Daniel when Shanks was doing his best James Spader impression.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
The first appearance of Rodney on SG1 is also a bit of a shocker if you are used to Atlantis Rodney, he is much more creepy/rapey/angry/etc.

Yeah it's hard to really figure out if any other character grew. Teal'c grew some hair I guess. The guy who played the holodeck doctor changed a bit over the shows, from a by-the-books-you-guys-all-suck to ok-I-am-making-terrible-decisions-now-too. You could probably say Vala mellowed out a bit - while I wasn't a huge fan of season 9 & 10, on rewatch its actually a lot more enjoyable, although season 1-5 are still the best of stargate imo.

Actually probably the SGU characters changed the most. The dopey leader went from a real jerkface idiot to a more mellow and relaxed person. In fact pretty much all the characters went from terrible, terrible people to decent-ish characters, except Camille and Chloe who are the worst characters in the Stargate universe. Yes, even worse than Agent Barrett, "Pete", Lt Ford, or Teyla. Well, maybe not Teyla.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rodney is still creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lct7qit7Q-0

Why does she tell him to go first though? It's his first time on the ship and it's her job to bring him to Eli.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Rodney is still creepy

Of course. He still was pretty awkward by the end of Atlantis. They turned him from a horribly obnoxious and unlikable character to a person who is flawed but still likable.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Grew I mean. I think my favorite McKay line is in the episode with the deralict Ancient ship. Teyla asked Rodney if what he is doing is a good idea. Rodney said,"No but Sheppard and I have gotten in the habit of saving each other lives and well its now my turn to save him."

My favorite is when he's explaining how he shot himself full of enzyme and totally kicked everyone's asses oh and Ford's alive I don't know where the rest of the team is but I totally kicked everyone's asses!

tenh19
Jul 11, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Of course. He still was pretty awkward by the end of Atlantis. They turned him from a horribly obnoxious and unlikable character to a person who is flawed but still likable.

Which makes him and Keller a perfect match. You have to admit, Keller is pretty awkward herself. Not, you know, Rodney awkward but insecure awkward.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

spronk posted:

Actually probably the SGU characters changed the most. The dopey leader went from a real jerkface idiot to a more mellow and relaxed person. In fact pretty much all the characters went from terrible, terrible people to decent-ish characters, except Camille and Chloe who are the worst characters in the Stargate universe. Yes, even worse than Agent Barrett, "Pete", Lt Ford, or Teyla. Well, maybe not Teyla.

Whats wrong with agent Barrett?

edit: also, Maybourne had the best growth on the show. He grew from an evil NID colonel into king of an entire planet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybourne owned so hard. His antics with Jack were some of the best episodes of the early series.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just watched Sunday the other day, and it's really a touching episode all around. It was such a great little character building episode in terms of the interactions of all the characters in more normal situations.

Carson really did deserve better than EXPLODING TUMOR though.

MrBling posted:

Whats wrong with agent Barrett?

edit: also, Maybourne had the best growth on the show. He grew from an evil NID colonel into king of an entire planet.

WiveS???

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

IRQ posted:

Maybourne owned so hard. His antics with Jack were some of the best episodes of the early series.

"You RAT BASTARD"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hyperriker posted:

"You RAT BASTARD"

:mad: I'm SO gonna kick your rear end.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybourne is legit the best character in SG-1.

They should have made a spin-off with Jack O'Neill and Maybourne living together in the big city.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

MrBling posted:

Maybourne is legit the best character in SG-1.

They should have made a spin-off with Jack O'Neill and Maybourne living together in the big city.

I just heard the theme from "The Odd Couple" in my head.

I would watch that show. :)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybourne was the best because you hate him so much at first then after he gets fired he just owns and you are always happy when he shows up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pwnstar posted:

Maybourne was the best because you hate him so much at first then after he gets fired he just owns and you are always happy when he shows up.

They really space out Maybourne episodes just enough so he'd continue to rock and you'd not get tired of him.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Maybourne also helped take out Goa'uld Wayne Brady

edit:

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 20, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vandelay industries posted:

Maybourne also helped take out Goa'uld Wayne Brady

That was such a terrible moment in Stargate and the reactions in the thread were fantastic at the time?

"Holy poo poo, is that Wayne Brady?"

"Is a Jaffa gonna have to smack a Tau-ri?"

And other such nonsense.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Pwnstar posted:

This is exactly me on my current watchthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hyperriker posted:

This is exactly me on my current watchthrough

I'm halfway through season 2 and have seen three Maybourne episodes and this is not me, Maybourne is wonderful and I'm delighted when he shows up no matter what capacity he's in! I've seen a couple of later episodes with him after he leaves the NID (didn't know the circumstances til now, probably shouldn't read this thread as much as I do) and I loved them too.

Then again I react similarly to Bra'tac and Jacob Carter showing up too. I wonder what an episode with all three would be like :allears: