Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

SourKraut posted:

Just wanted to confirm: It's safe to use a 85W Magsafe with the 13" MBPs, right? (From what I remember, you can use larger wattage adapters with MBPs that require less, but obviously not in reverse).

I have quite a friends who visit who often forget their adapters for their systems, and since I planned on getting a second one anyway so I can leave my original at home all the time, I figured I'd get one that they could use as-needed with the larger MBPs some of them have.

I think the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to use a larger adapter. It's also safe to use a smaller one, it will just take bloody ages to charge. If it could damage anything, the connectors would be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Exactly right; swapping adaptors even to use an underpowered PSU on a big laptop is fine. Just don't expect your battery to charge fast if at all while in use.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Kilometers Davis posted:

With all the reasonably decent laptops coming out, why would someone buy an apple product if they don't want OSX? I just don't understand it. It seems likena huge waste of money.

There isn't a PC equivalent of the latest gen MBAs. I can't find a better laptop in terms of portability, performance, battery life, build quality. Samsung 9 series, Sony Vaio Zs, yada yada all don't compare to MBAs and costs around there or even more.

Edit: Oh, and those ASUS UX31s someone linked will retail between 1000-1500. There's no point in not getting a MBA.

rsjr fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 15, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Didn't see any evidence of a backlit keyboard on the UX31 either. Still thinking about selling my 2010 MBA just to get one plus that SD and Tbolt port on a 2011. The Intel HD 3000 would be a small step down from the nVidia 320M, though..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 15, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Windows/Linux on a MBP has pretty lovely battery life.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm in the process of getting rid of as many wires/cables as I can from my iMac.

The only peripheral that remains tethered to my iMac now is a FW800 HDD dock. I was hoping to get rid of this cable and replace the dock with something like the Time Capsule (but it's a loving rip off) and I don't think has a user replaceable drive.

Is anyone making a mac compatible wireless HDD docking station?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 15, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KingEup posted:

I'm in the process of getting rid of as many wires/cables as I can from my iMac.

The only peripheral that remains tethered to my iMac now is a FW800 HDD dock. I was hoping to get rid of this cable and replace the dock with something like the Time Capsule (but it's a loving rip off) and I don't think has a user replaceable drive.

Is anyone making a mac compatible wireless HDD docking station?

A little cheaper than a Time Capsule:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10520

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

With all the reasonably decent laptops coming out, why would someone buy an apple product if they don't want OSX? I just don't understand it. It seems likena huge waste of money.

There really aren't any even close to competitive PC laptops.

As a recently converted Mac hater... my MBA is the physically nicest computer I've ever owned.

I don't love OSX, but it's a metric fuckton better than Windows+cygwin.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

angor posted:

I think the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to use a larger adapter. It's also safe to use a smaller one, it will just take bloody ages to charge. If it could damage anything, the connectors would be different.

~Coxy posted:

Exactly right; swapping adaptors even to use an underpowered PSU on a big laptop is fine. Just don't expect your battery to charge fast if at all while in use.

Thanks for the info! A friend had asked the other day if they could borrow my MBP's adapter, but since they have a 15" MBP and I have the 13", I had thought they couldn't safely charge their system with mine. Good to know it's safe (albeit slow)!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kilometers Davis posted:

What are these decent laptops? They pretty much pale in comparison of the MBA design IMO. A lot of them are more expensive than the Mac too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

What are these decent laptops? They pretty much pale in comparison of the MBA design IMO. A lot of them are more expensive than the Mac too.

He's probably talking about the Ultrabooks that are coming out soon:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/04/aspire-s3-ideapad-u300s-portege-z830-ux21-ultrabooks-family-portrait/

Detailed reviews on each one should be interesting to see.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bob Morales posted:

Windows/Linux on a MBP has pretty lovely battery life.

Yep. Apple needs to get off their rear end and make some drivers that can switch to the onboard video when not doing 3D.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Yep. Apple needs to get off their rear end and make some drivers that can switch to the onboard video when not doing 3D.

poo poo I'd just be happy to have an option that lets me boot into Windows with only the Intel or Discrete video selected. Former for when I'm not gaming, latter for when I am gaming.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think putting a bunch of time into development of a good, thin and powerful laptop is in line with anything the mainstream PC laptop manufacturers focus on.

I recently took a look at various laptops around and it seems like the goal is to just spew out as many laptops as they can with the cheapest material possible. Some of the trackpad designs I've seen are just atrocious. Why the gently caress would anyone want a trackpad that is rippled with texturing on it?

I know we pay more for the nice design of the MacBooks and such but I really don't know if many of the people looking for bottom of the barrel laptops will switch over to buy a sexy ultra book. I feel like the reason the MBA's sell so well are good specs and great form factor which the windows versions most likely will lack.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU MY FANS ARE AT FULL SPEED

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
My march 2009 mini is having start up problems. It started just after upgrading to Lion, but I think it was a coincidence. I get the 3 short 3 long 3 short beeps on startup indicating faulty ram.

It will eventually boot after several attempts, sometimes with an hour long or more break.

I've tried unplugging it to reset the SMC. I've switched 2 upgraded memory modules, tried 1 at a time and even put back the original 1GB stick alone.

Is this likely a logic board failure in progress?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Tried holding down D at bootup and running the hardware test?

Nitr0 posted:

Highly unlikely as Apple would be helping a competing OS vendor on their OWN hardware.

It's as good as it's going to get now, you can hope that maybe in the new Tim Cookyness of Apple that some engineer might suggest it and do it in his spare time and somehow sneak it into a new build of the Boot Camp drivers, but anything that doesn't help OS X before anything else will be shitcanned.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Binary Badger posted:

Highly unlikely as Apple would be helping a competing OS vendor on their OWN hardware.

Pretty much this. Apple has no interest in makng Windows run nearly as well on a Mac as OS X.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SourKraut posted:

Just wanted to confirm: It's safe to use a 85W Magsafe with the 13" MBPs, right? (From what I remember, you can use larger wattage adapters with MBPs that require less, but obviously not in reverse).

Apple has no excuse for making more than one size of power adapter for their laptops.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

To be fair, the Air's battery life (at least the last iteration) was never really that fantastic. Everyday use always yielded me about 3-4 hours at most. I wouldn't complain too much because the form factor is wonderful, but it could be better on the whole. So my boss tells me, his (current model) 13" Air's battery life isn't too great, either.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Sulk posted:

To be fair, the Air's battery life (at least the last iteration) was never really that fantastic. Everyday use always yielded me about 3-4 hours at most. I wouldn't complain too much because the form factor is wonderful, but it could be better on the whole. So my boss tells me, his (current model) 13" Air's battery life isn't too great, either.

My battery life was awful for weeks before I realized adobe update manager was running and taking up a ton of activity. I quit that and my battery life went back up to the 6+ hours on the 13in. I get a pretty good 5 out of the 11 inch i5 MBA without watching video.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sulk posted:

not sure what you and your boss are doing, but I get 6-7 hours out of my late 2010 13" MBA with normal use and always have, and I know I'm not the only one.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

El Duke posted:

not sure what you and your boss are doing, but I get 6-7 hours out of my late 2010 13" MBA with normal use and always have, and I know I'm not the only one.

Ditto, 7~+ hours with click2flash on @ 60-70% brightness.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Binary Badger posted:

It's as good as it's going to get now, you can hope that maybe in the new Tim Cookyness of Apple that some engineer might suggest it and do it in his spare time and somehow sneak it into a new build of the Boot Camp drivers, but anything that doesn't help OS X before anything else will be shitcanned.

Doesn't really matter TBH. It's been stated again and again that Apple makes their money on hardware. In fact it would actually improve sales if they could say that windows doesn't run like poo poo on their hardware.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Apple has no excuse for making more than one size of power adapter for their laptops.

what? It's a matter of size, weight and electrical efficiency.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If Apple cared about running Windows on Macs they wouldn't have made OS X.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

what? It's a matter of size, weight and electrical efficiency.
I'd say mostly of size. The weight difference is fairly negligible (especially given the weight of each system themselves), and the electrical efficiency isn't really an issue given each would only draw as much power as is necessary.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

If Apple cared about running Windows on Macs they wouldn't have made OS X.

If Apple didn't care about running Windows on Macs they wouldn't have made Boot Camp.

I think they just don't care very much.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Binary Badger posted:

Won't even boot anymore. Tried about 50 times. Just beeps

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

I think it's more due to console ports rather than catering to lower end machines.

VMWare's video drivers on DirectX are something to behold. Deus Ex 3 runs great in 720p inside of VMWare on my 2-year old iMac without much of a hit to whatever else I have running. Native resolution in Boot Camp can't crunch any game with FSAA, but sitting directly in front of a 27" display playing an FPS full screen makes me nauseous anyway. Something about FOV to be sure. Added console port bonus: most modern games support a wired 360 controller, so chillaxing a few more feet away from the bigger display is a-ok with me.

Keeping with the theme of previously hardware-obsessed persons owning Macs: Thunderbolt and PCIe... could a TB-ready iMac use its internal display with an external video card? I am guessing an external display attached directly to the card needs to be used unless there's some bizarre feedback loop wherein one gets a ADP adapter, but then there would be no more ports for TB in the first place. It would be a shame not to be able to use that gorgeous display.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

movax posted:

poo poo I'd just be happy to have an option that lets me boot into Windows with only the Intel or Discrete video selected. Former for when I'm not gaming, latter for when I am gaming.

Yes please...honestly when I was looking for a performant laptop, there wasn't much out there at 15" that was portable, had a decent GPU AND didn't feel crapilly built (closest I got was the Alienware M14x but OMG LEDS and space-age design, and it was still less portable than an MBP). Yes I did buy an MBP to use it primarily as a Win7 machine.

The thing is, Apple is being assholic on purpose. There have been some folks out there trying to hack switchable graphics drivers on the MBP but as it turns out, Apple disables the iGPU through UEFI on boot time. There's some way to get it to show up by a weird suspend-resume hack while in windows, but I don't think that anything concrete has come out yet...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Oh cool, the Thunderbolt related firmware update for the new Mac Mini didn't do anything to fix the blinking / glitching when used with the 24" ACD. :sigh:

Anyone using a Thunderbolt Mac with a non-Apple monitor over DisplayPort? I think I'm about to give up on this combination ever working, and both HP and Dell have ~$400 LED Backlit / IPS 24" monitors out now. If I can at least use DisplayPort with one of those guys I can hook an Xbox up to it as well. That'd be nice.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone using a Thunderbolt Mac with a non-Apple monitor over DisplayPort? I think I'm about to give up on this combination ever working, and both HP and Dell have ~$400 LED Backlit / IPS 24" monitors out now. If I can at least use DisplayPort with one of those guys I can hook an Xbox up to it as well. That'd be nice.

I have my MBP 13" connected to a HP L2405WG via DisplayPort using a Monoprice 3' miniDP->DP cable. Has been working great so far without any type of flickering/etc.

Edit - Should have added, it's a 2011 MBP.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 16, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What external HD matches the Mac Mini the best? Is there a page with pictures?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I like the MyBook Studios. I have both of these guys:

2TB:

and 6TB:

They're plastic, but the finish matches my aluminum Macs pretty well. The lights are a bit annoying though. I'm tempted to take them apart and kill the lights, but for now a little opaque tape does the trick.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bob Morales posted:

The iomega minimax is probably closest, and it stacks: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0815VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw

But Apple's storage section has a lot of options that fall into the Mac design: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Edit - Going to put this in HTS forum.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 16, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jeff8472 posted:

Won't even boot anymore. Tried about 50 times. Just beeps
This probably isn't the issue, but do you have any other power supplies to test out? On one of mine it'd only turn on after a few tries and eventually just didn't work at all.

kuskus posted:

Keeping with the theme of previously hardware-obsessed persons owning Macs: Thunderbolt and PCIe... could a TB-ready iMac use its internal display with an external video card? I am guessing an external display attached directly to the card needs to be used unless there's some bizarre feedback loop wherein one gets a ADP adapter, but then there would be no more ports for TB in the first place. It would be a shame not to be able to use that gorgeous display.

So iMac TB port 1 -> PCIe chassis/GPU -> iMac TB port 2? I guess that could work if you can still use the iMac's inputs while switched to video input mode, assuming the GPU output is video only. An issue might be that the OS is effectively seeing two displays while you can only see one...and that the GPU would have to output a TB signal until someone comes out with a TB input video converter.

Or you can do something even more convoluted like using a video input TB box and plugging the GPU output straight into that, viewing the GPU output in a video window :v:.

El Duke posted:

The iomega minimax is probably closest, and it stacks: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0815VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw

But Apple's storage section has a lot of options that fall into the Mac design: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage
I think those are based on the older Mac mini size (6.5" square vs 7.7"), so there'd be a bit of a size mismatch if you stacked them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
PCI-E (and TB) is bidirectional so the external GPU would be able to blit its framebuffer somewhere (maybe system RAM, but ideally it would go directly into the internal GPU's VRAM) and then show it on the internal screen.
The internal GPU would then just be updating its framebuffer 60 times per second or whatever so wouldn't matter how powerful or weak it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like the MyBook Studios. I have both of these guys:

2TB:

and 6TB:

They're plastic, but the finish matches my aluminum Macs pretty well. The lights are a bit annoying though. I'm tempted to take them apart and kill the lights, but for now a little opaque tape does the trick.

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals; I'd like the WD 3TB studio drive but it's literally twice the price of the WD 3TB USB 2.0 drive. I don't care a ton about the difference in transfer speed but I can't really afford to sacrifice the extra USB port on my MBP.