Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koops
Mar 27, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

If the servers for the game will be turned off in October, what does that mean for gameplay? No more bloodstains? What about world tendency?

I expect it will be the same as choosing not to sign in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMania
May 7, 2008

Sumadartson posted:

An easy one is a no shields, no magic, no miracles, no projectile weapons run. I'm still tempted to see if a no-healing items run is possible. No grasses, no regen, no spells to heal. Combining the two should be a ton of fun as well.

Wasn't really a challenge, but I'm one boss away from beating NG+ without doing a point of damage with any magic/miracles, only used bows on those loving mosquitoes. I'm not counting Light Weapon, but frankly the Blueblood sword with 25 luck is good enough without it.

But ugh, don't think I could do a no magic/miracle/shields run. I shudder at 4-1 without something meaty to hide behind or having second chance to fall back on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

MMania posted:

Wasn't really a challenge, but I'm one boss away from beating NG+ without doing a point of damage with any magic/miracles, only used bows on those loving mosquitoes. I'm not counting Light Weapon, but frankly the Blueblood sword with 25 luck is good enough without it.

But ugh, don't think I could do a no magic/miracle/shields run. I shudder at 4-1 without something meaty to hide behind or having second chance to fall back on.

start using 2 handed swords, they're awesome. but, uhm, warding really does help with them.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

You know the three Black Phantoms in 1-4? Are they meant to be the black phantom forms of the three Demons you fight prior to that stage? I mean they're abviously meant to at leats mirror them, what with their equipment, but are they meant to be the same heroes-turned-demons from Biorr/Ostrava's history lessons?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Satanos posted:

You know the three Black Phantoms in 1-4? Are they meant to be the black phantom forms of the three Demons you fight prior to that stage? I mean they're abviously meant to at leats mirror them, what with their equipment, but are they meant to be the same heroes-turned-demons from Biorr/Ostrava's history lessons?

That's pretty much how I always interpreted it, but like a lot of the Demon's Souls lore it's pretty wide and open to interpretation.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

DotyManX posted:

Once you get to the fog gate/hallway just before that reaper, where his laser shooting ghosts start to show up, backtrack to the stairs just after the second reaper's location. From here you can look down to see the third reaper just sitting there waiting to get blasted in the face.

Thanks a bunch for this, I finally got my way through that stage. Now to pray I can do Storm King correctly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Temascos posted:

* Kill the Maiden In Black everytime she asks if you want soul power, do this 20 times or until you get bored.

Can you actually kill her? I accidentally whacked the blacksmith with my sword once and he tried to attack me everytime I came near him for like 10 hours and then he was was cool with me again.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Satanos posted:

Yup! Most 'demons' are just people who started using soul power to buff themselves up. By the end of the game, the Player is even referred to as 'a new demon.'

So, those three guys started harvesting souls like mad once the fog rolled in, left the kingdom a nearly-empty husk patrolled by undead soldier-zombies, and used all those soulbux to upgrade themselves into massive sweet-rear end demonic kill-bodies. Like, you bought +1 endurance? Tower Knight bought +20 height. Then you rolled through, killed them and took their souls. They are now phantoms, since you killed them and they lost their awesome body form with full hp/full size, and they team up for one last shot at invading you and getting back what you took.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
That's a pretty sweet way of looking at it. The reward text for killing your mark as a Black Phantom refers to you as a Demon too.

NESguerilla posted:

Can you actually kill her? I accidentally whacked the blacksmith with my sword once and he tried to attack me everytime I came near him for like 10 hours and then he was was cool with me again.

She dies then immediately resurrects herself. I don't think she even mentions it either.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Leyburn posted:

That's a pretty sweet way of looking at it. The reward text for killing your mark as a Black Phantom refers to you as a Demon too.

She dies then immediately resurrects herself. I don't think she even mentions it either.

Actually, she apologizes to you for not dying.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Leyburn posted:

She dies then immediately resurrects herself.

Her soul is bound to the Nexus, just like the player character. I wonder why no one else gets to come back infinitely. Mopey blue phantom guy obviously died at least once; I guess he gets permadead because he gave up on living entirely and/or wasn't eating enough souls. Maybe you have to enter the Nexus by dying to earn that 'perk'. Or maybe PCs are such greedy soul-gobblers that they drain every last soul from their victims, not even leaving enough for a soul form resurrection.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Koops posted:

Her soul is bound to the Nexus, just like the player character. I wonder why no one else gets to come back infinitely. Mopey blue phantom guy obviously died at least once; I guess he gets permadead because he gave up on living entirely and/or wasn't eating enough souls. Maybe you have to enter the Nexus by dying to earn that 'perk'. Or maybe PCs are such greedy soul-gobblers that they drain every last soul from their victims, not even leaving enough for a soul form resurrection.

Waaaait a minute. Why does no bad guy ever eat your souls, apart from like, the 2 dudes who use soulsucker? surely at least the bosses, which are all demons who have eaten a lot of souls, should be able to eat your souls. Hmmm?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

redreader posted:

Waaaait a minute. Why does no bad guy ever eat your souls, apart from like, the 2 dudes who use soulsucker? surely at least the bosses, which are all demons who have eaten a lot of souls, should be able to eat your souls. Hmmm?

They take a while to eat; about exactly as long as it takes for you to die twice.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I think it's less that they don't come back indefinitely than it is that they either give up after being killed by you or just stay the gently caress out of your way afterwards.

The main question is why your body doesn't get eaten after you die. I mean, Rydell's decomposed and he gave up because he couldn't get it back as a result.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"Hey man, can I bum a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes? Just until I get my next paycheck."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's like the five second rule but for souls.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alright, I started a new game yesterday with the goal in mind to finish it before Dark Souls is released. (I can't believe I haven't finished it once ever since it came out)

World list:
1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4
2-1, 2-2, 2-3
3-1, 3-2, 3-3
4-1, 4-2, 4-3
5-1, 5-2, 5-3

Class: Knight
Soul Level: 52
Stats:
Vit - 17
Int - 16
End - 17
Str - 21
Dex - 16
Mag - 16
Fth - 16
Lck - 13

Main Weapons: Crescent Falchion +3, Dragon Longsword +3
Shield: Dark Heater +2
Armor: Fluted, Knight's Starting Armor
Magic: Soul Arrow
Miracles: Heal

What world should I go for now, and what stats should I work towards?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Reive posted:

What world should I go for now, and what stats should I work towards?

I'd finish upgrading the Dragon Longsword, grab some light armor and head to World 5. Enemies and bosses are weak to fire and since it's the worst world in the game overall (though not too bad, if you ask me), you'll probably want to get done with it as soon as you can. Make sure you take the Adjudicator's Shield and a Regenerator's Ring with you so you can mitigate the Poison damage somewhat and make sure you stay out of the swamp when you get into a fight.

For stats, that all depends on what you'd ultimately want to do. You could go any direction really, so it wouldn't hurt to check out some builds and see what you're interested in. Since your stats are already well rounded and you've put a few points into luck, making a Blueblood Sword build may interest you. It limits your weapon choices to the Blueblood Sword, Northern Regalia and Moon weapons but the Blueblood Sword is powerful, fast, can be enchanted to do stupid amounts of damage and it allows you to be handy with spells.

Hopefully this helps some.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jetpack Postman posted:

Great advice

Sound like a plan then, and the BBS build sounds like it would suit my abilities very well, I think I'll go for it but since I'm a little off balanced for that particular version of the build (high str and int) what should I focus on?

Also any recommendations on what light armor I should get?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Reive posted:

Sound like a plan then, and the BBS build sounds like it would suit my abilities very well, I think I'll go for it but since I'm a little off balanced for that particular version of the build (high str and int) what should I focus on?

Black Leather is some pretty standard light armour that offers good poison resistance but not that great damage resistance, if you're female the Binded Set is the best armour period.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jetpack Postman posted:

It limits your weapon choices to the Blueblood Sword, Northern Regalia and Moon weapons but the Blueblood Sword is powerful, fast, can be enchanted to do stupid amounts of damage and it allows you to be handy with spells.

Hopefully this helps some.

I took blueblood sword advice, and I LOVED IT. But I needed to do some grinding.

Make sure you try warding + 2 handed big swords, and halberds too. Try to get vitality and or endurance up to 40ish, it helps a LOT.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I actually finished up a Demon's Souls run with a knight for the sake of beating it before Dark Souls just a few days ago. I had gotten through most of the game before but never quite finished it. It ended up being incredibly easy, this is what my character progression was like:

1-1 (Obtain Purple Dragon Shield)
4-1 (Obtain Crescent Falchion)
1-2
2-1
2-2
2-3 (Obtain Dragon Bone Smasher)
3-1 (Obtain Warding spell)
1-3
5-1
5-2
5-3 (Obtain Dark Silver Shield)
(Forge Lava Bow)
3-2
3-3
4-2
4-3
1-4

The Dark Silver Shield helps a lot for World 3 and World 4, and the Lava Bow works wonders against the Mindflayer black phantoms. If you have 21 str then I really recommend considering the Dragon Bone Smasher (if you have access to it) as something to try out. The damage is huge, and it has really good dash attacks and R2 attacks. You can toss an Adjudicator's Shield on and 2H it, and generally you can hit Triangle to switch to your shield for when you need to be defensive. The neat thing is that even if you don't have the strength to wield it in one hand, the 1-handed heavy attack can still knock your enemy down so it actually remains useful.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Reive posted:

Again, that depends. Are you going try to do PvP or are you just gonna play PvE? I wouldn't bank on getting much out of PvP or online features now; Demon's Souls servers are planned to be turned off in late October and when Dark Souls comes out in two weeks everyone's going to be playing that. But even so, just follow the build and eat the extra Soul Levels. You should end up around Soul Level 130 and that's still low enough to interact with SL120 folks.

If you're going to just play PvE and New Game + it until you get bored, follow the build then max out Stamina (40, the point where your Stamina meters stops growing), then dump your points into stats that you think will help you the most. The game doesn't get significantly harder once you reach Soul Level 120 in about any build, so just have fun with it.

As for your armor, like Read said you should get the Binded Set from Executioner Miralda (Boletaria Pure White World Tendency) if your character is female or the Black Leather set (you find it in world 3-1) if your character is male. Or you could do neither and just buy the Leather Armor set from Graverobber Blige if you don't feel like doing Boletaria's PWWT or 3-1.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just beat flamelurker first try in human form with my dex based character.

I can normally beat him melee without too much difficulty, but I tend to die at least once. This time? Wasn't even using a shield or flame resistance if any kind. :smug:

Reive
May 21, 2009

I've reached an impasse, up until this point I've had little problem with any other battle.

Old King Allant, he's the only boss I have left before the end-game, and I just can't kill him!

the only viable strategy is melee at this point, but I'm not good enough at dodging his attacks, and even then I don't do much damage due to his drat magic resistance (using Blueblood Sword).

Help? :smith:

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Reive posted:

I've reached an impasse, up until this point I've had little problem with any other battle.

Old King Allant, he's the only boss I have left before the end-game, and I just can't kill him!

the only viable strategy is melee at this point, but I'm not good enough at dodging his attacks, and even then I don't do much damage due to his drat magic resistance (using Blueblood Sword).

Help? :smith:

Hmm, that's tough. I'm not exactly looking over your shoulder and even then Old King Allant is a boss that you need to learn in order to fight effectively. There is no quick and easy tactic to take him down and developing your own strategy is generally best.

I can give you some general advice, though:
  • Try to keep a good distance away from him at all times. Far enough so you stay out of range of his close attacks and can see his attacks coming - particularly his ranged attacks and charge attacks - but close enough so you can get a quick combo in on him if he tries to do his enormous AoE attack.
  • Always attack him when you know for sure he's vulnerable (namely charging his AoE attack or after he does his charging slash) and DON'T use up all of your stamina - always make sure you have enough to roll away and gain some distance.
  • If you're hurting for damage, switch to your Dragon weapon or go back to 1-1 and get the Demonbrandt. At pure white character tendency, the Demonbrandt is a very powerful weapon and more than enough to take him down.

If all else fails, just watch this video from the Demon's Souls Let's Play and see if you can figure something out. Good luck!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jetpack Postman posted:

If all else fails, just watch this video from the Demon's Souls Let's Play and see if you can figure something out. Good luck!
Hrmm, I know it's not recommended but does heavy armor like Doran's generally offer as much protection as it does in Squint's video?
I mainly die in two hits, and with the speed that Allant moves that's very likely to happen, however I may be able to tank him with lots of late moon grasses (I have 90+ thanks to 1-3) if the protection holds up that well.
Edit: Why am I asking when I could just try?

Reive fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 17, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Reive posted:

Hrmm, I know it's not recommended but does heavy armor like Doran's generally offer as much protection as it does in Squint's video?
I mainly die in two hits, and with the speed that Allant moves that's very likely to happen, however I may be able to tank him with lots of late moon grasses (I have 90+ thanks to 1-3) if the protection holds up that well.
Edit: Why am I asking when I could just try?

If you're taking a lot of damage, your Soul Level may be a little low so you could try leveling up a bit and boosting your Vitality for a bit more health. I recommend against heavy armor, since being able to quickly dodge his attacks is much more useful. I also recommend you upgrade to the Full Moon Grasses you can buy from Patches instead of Late Moon Grasses, as being able to heal more at once is very useful.

Reive
May 21, 2009

And I did it!
Only took 2 or 3 soul levels to reach a point were he wouldn't out right kill me, after that I went on to get the good ending.

So I did it, completing Demon's Souls... possibly the best video game related accomplishment I've had this generation.

Reive fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 17, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Reive posted:

And I did it!
Only took 2 or 3 soul levels to reach a point were he wouldn't out right kill me, after that I went on to get the good ending.

So I did it, completing Demon's Souls... possibly the best video game related accomplishment I've had this generation.

Great job!

Now go for plat before Dark Souls comes out. :v:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I got platinum several months ago, and after learning most of the game's tricks, it lost much of its appeal - there was no sense of dread when I knew what to expect, and knew the best couple of ways to min/max my character into a kill-demon with a +5 Magic Sword of Making Dudes loving Die. Most enemies, even on much later playthroughs, would die in 1-3 hits from a cursed/lit weapon; granted, I'd also go down as fast, but it was just a matter of dodging their initial attack and then OHKO'ing them with overwhelming power.

So I started trying a no-leveling, no-upgrading, no-thief's-ring, 'luddite' run, starting as a Barbarian? It definitely goes a long way towards recapturing the feeling of being hosed and outclassed. Why a barbarian? No spells, no miracles, and only 9 dexterity - which means no possibility of effectively using any bows, spears/rapiers that might tempt me to hide behind a shield while poking at mine enemies, and I'd be near useless with that loving Crescent Falchion +1 that everybody creams their pants over. My new favorite weapon is the Large Club. Flamelurker hasn't felt that intense since the first time he ripped me a fiery new rear end in a top hat. 4-2 is really really ridiculously difficult, since the shadow-dudes are actually very durable when you're just hitting them with a piece of wood. I don't have enough attack power or stamina to kill anything without having to pace myself and avoid their counter-attacks a few times. To anyone else who thinks they've seen and beaten everything DS has to offer, I highly recommend doing a low-power run, it's wonderfully masochistic.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Dear Mbiohazard1,

Don't turn your console off like a little bitch when you get your rear end handed to you by a black phantom. :argh:

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Smelly posted:

Dear Mbiohazard1,

Don't turn your console off like a little bitch when you get your rear end handed to you by a black phantom. :argh:

Oh, that's nothing. One Saturday morning, I invaded the same guy three times, who immediately disconnected when he was invaded, all three times. Not defeated, invaded. I thought this was a game for real men. I need a mix between :eng99: and :black101:. Black99?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Sometimes I just feel terrible for the people I invade. I'd say about 20% of the time, the player tries running back to the beginning of the level so that he can exit to the nexus :downs:.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Finally beat the game. I cheesed the false king though, that fucker killed me in like one hit. I could have just continually used second chance but gently caress, he took so little damage from my attacks I'd be fighting him for two hours before he died, and before you get to the fucker you need to fight 4 black phantoms (All of which killed me in one hit, one of which took half my HP even when I blocked his attack) two red eye knights (Also kills me in one hit, whee!) and that loving dragon.
gently caress that poo poo. Doesn't help that my Demon's Souls for some reason has like a one second input lag making dodging very hard sometimes.
Goddamn this game.

Now I need to scrounge up enough cash for Dark Souls.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

WalletBeef posted:

Sometimes I just feel terrible for the people I invade. I'd say about 20% of the time, the player tries running back to the beginning of the level so that he can exit to the nexus :downs:.

I almost never invade, but the one time I did for kicks the other player just hid at the start of the level.

It was 1-4 and I knew exactly where they were since the wolves were lying in wait still. Hid near the locked gate hoping to ambush them, but eventually I just sighed, cast warding and walked over to cut them down. It was a brutal massacre and I suddenly understood why everybody loved being black phantoms.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010
I was playing through NG++ earlier, and I figured that since I haven't needed anything from the people in the Nexus for a while, I might as well see what it's like if Yurt kills them all. Three or four bosses after I released him, I check in on him, and he's decided that I'm next on the list. He starts slowly following me, so I lead him up the stairs, all the way to the Pantheon. He follows me in, and I rush past him and leave. The door closes behind me. Problem solved!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

organburner posted:

Finally beat the game. I cheesed the false king though, that fucker killed me in like one hit. I could have just continually used second chance but gently caress, he took so little damage from my attacks I'd be fighting him for two hours before he died, and before you get to the fucker you need to fight 4 black phantoms (All of which killed me in one hit, one of which took half my HP even when I blocked his attack) two red eye knights (Also kills me in one hit, whee!) and that loving dragon.
gently caress that poo poo. Doesn't help that my Demon's Souls for some reason has like a one second input lag making dodging very hard sometimes.
Goddamn this game.

I only fought the false king once in my first playthrough. A couple of blue phantoms got me through that stage after I'd killed the blue dragon, and I hadn't seen him yet. They killed Ostrava, his corpse fell off the bridge, then they bow and arrowed the false king while I hit him at close range a few times with the large sword of searching, stunlocking him until he died after like 5 hits. It was so easy and I didn't figure out what the big deal was until I TRIED TO beat him legitimately.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

redreader posted:

I only fought the false king once in my first playthrough. A couple of blue phantoms got me through that stage after I'd killed the blue dragon, and I hadn't seen him yet. They killed Ostrava, his corpse fell off the bridge, then they bow and arrowed the false king while I hit him at close range a few times with the large sword of searching, stunlocking him until he died after like 5 hits. It was so easy and I didn't figure out what the big deal was until I TRIED TO beat him legitimately.

I haven't bothered getting my password since the whole Sony hacked thing though, so I didn't play online. Just wanted to get through the game, and I did.

There are only two bosses in this game I felt were straight up unfair. The Guys who you fought on the bridge where dodging was a hazard (Manslayerbeast or whatever) and the false king.
I guess the storm king was also unfair unless you knew to run through the entire boss area to grab this one sword. Or if you had magic (I didn't really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

organburner posted:

Goddamn this game.

Just so you know, black phantom NPCs don't respawn, including the 3 nameless ones at the beginning of 1-4.

On that note, I usually feel pretty bad about invading people also. I invaded a guy on 4-2, and had to chase him around a bit and kill a blue phantom he summoned before I could kill him. I invaded 4-2 again the next day and pretty sure I got the exact same guy- I jumped him in the pit with St. Urbain just as he was finishing off the NPC black phantom. I don't think he even got to pick up the loot before I killed the guy, so he lost that forever.

• Locked thread