Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know if the keys are case-sensitive, but mine is actually called "extensions.checkCompatibility".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ryanbruce posted:

I added extensions.CheckCompatibility.6.0 and set it to false; no dice.

I thought I had compatibility manager, guess I'll reinstall it.

edit: All of these extension shenanigans have me wondering: Wasn't Firefox 4 supposed to start having restart-free installs?

I had some troubles getting it to work, that line did do the trick after deleting and re-adding it a few times. I have no idea what made it stick the last time, though.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

withak posted:

Or set extensions.CheckCompatibility.6.0 = false, though you have to updated that when FF changes version numbers.

For all the below posters, this should be 'extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0' - Lowercase 'c', as it's case sensitive.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just upgraded to 6.0 and had to do this.

1. Type
code:
about:config
in the address bar
2. Right click anywhere and go New > Boolean
3. Set name as
code:
extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0
4. Set value as False
5. Restart Firefox
6. Drag most recent .xpi into an open Firefox window and install addon
7. Restart Firefox
8. ???
9. Profit

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I must have gotten lucky. All I did when I upgraded was use the Add-On Compatibility Reporter extension to turn back on every extension that Firefox tried to turn off.

A quick restart and everything worked.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Forgive me for what is likely a stupid question, but I recall a "Rap Sheet" link appearing under each post along with "Profile" etc. It's vanished for me, and I have no idea why. Is there an option I've accidentally turned off, or what?

Burger King Bathroom
Jan 11, 2005

Arbeit macht LOL

vortmax posted:

Forgive me for what is likely a stupid question, but I recall a "Rap Sheet" link appearing under each post along with "Profile" etc. It's vanished for me, and I have no idea why. Is there an option I've accidentally turned off, or what?
It seems to be in forums software because I can see it with IE.

Burger King Bathroom fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 18, 2011

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It's in misc.js, make sure you're not blocking that somehow.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Swilo posted:

It's in misc.js, make sure you're not blocking that somehow.

That was it, I had googleapis.com blocked in NoScript. Thanks!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Takes No Damage posted:

Thanks for the help. Every now and then I try to go SALR-less but it just doesn't feel right :unsmith:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bumped the version number; sorry about the delay. Been busy with some real-life stuff (also Assembla seems to think the project is taking over 2GB of space when it really should not be so I was hesitant to add more to it - need to send some emails to find out about that).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For what it's worth I just installed Firefox 8.0 Alpha 2 (Aurora) and SALR is working just fine, aside from needing another version number bump.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is it possible to turn off the custom SALR thread buttons and go back to the default?

Want:
Don't want:

I recently switch back to Firefox from Chrome, the Chrome version of the extension had that option but I can't seem to find it in Firefox.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
In the options the Forums tab has a section for that at the bottom.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Swilo posted:

In the options the Forums tab has a section for that at the bottom.

Wow I'm dumb, thanks!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Given that the SALR button you can stick in your browser

()

is functionally the same as the old (and now hidden) dropdown menu, is there a way to make the Alt-A keyboard shortcut trigger the button instead of the menu? Basically, I'm complaining because the keyboard shortcut makes the old menus pop up again for a short amount of time and they're ugly and shift the content on the screen around slightly. :( :(

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

The Dark One posted:

Given that the SALR button you can stick in your browser

()

is functionally the same as the old (and now hidden) dropdown menu, is there a way to make the Alt-A keyboard shortcut trigger the button instead of the menu? Basically, I'm complaining because the keyboard shortcut makes the old menus pop up again for a short amount of time and they're ugly and shift the content on the screen around slightly. :( :(

Seconded. I didn't know there was a button you could add like that, either!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Opera userscript in the OP doesn't seem to work or I am installing it wrong. Is it meant for Greasemonkey or does it just not work?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there any way to make SALR maintain the correct aspect ratio on scaled images?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Toast Museum posted:

Is there any way to make SALR maintain the correct aspect ratio on scaled images?

It should by default, unless you changed both the height and width max scale.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

It should by default, unless you changed both the height and width max scale.
If you scale up a timg that is wider than you allow, it will scale to the max width you allowed but also the full height of the image, resulting in a distorted narrow version.

Or something like this. It doesn't always happen and I can't remember the exact case where it does :downs:

or maybe it has to do with converted text-to-images? I'm not useful!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Okay, it looks like the problem is a little more specific than I initially thought. My scaling settings are default (800 horizontal, -1 vertical). Clicking to expand a timg image expands it to its full height but 800px wide, resulting in stretching on anything wider. It works properly after the thumbnail has been clicked, though.

Edit: I knew I should have previewed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I use a Greasemonky script called SA Thumbnail Fix that works great with SALR and doesn't lead to image distortion.

As the [timg] command loads the full-sized image anyway, the script lets you change how big it gets displayed.

I set it to display thumbnails up to 1200 in either dimension because I was so bloody sick of clicking on endless thumbnails in image threads to see what they were.

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
Looks like the last version of SALR doesn't work with FF7.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

gi- posted:

Looks like the last version of SALR doesn't work with FF7.

Like, a version number check problem, or an actual break by a change in the way Firefox works?

gi-
Aug 18, 2004

The Dark One posted:

Like, a version number check problem, or an actual break by a change in the way Firefox works?

Just a version number check.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
This is what I got:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

guaranteed posted:

This is what I got:

Just install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter and never worry about this again.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

guaranteed posted:

This is what I got:

From earlier on this page:

Takes No Damage posted:

1. Type
code:
about:config
in the address bar
2. Right click anywhere and go New > Boolean
3. Set name as
code:
extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0
4. Set value as False
5. Restart Firefox
6. Drag most recent .xpi into an open Firefox window and install addon
7. Restart Firefox
8. ???
9. Profit

I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring thing... anyway, I added extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0 and set it to false and restarted Firefox and it's back to normal again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
astral: When you bump the version number, please bump it to at least 8.0, as I've tested it in the current Aurora (Alpha) build and it works fine. I suspect it will also work fine in 9.0, that build should be released tomorrow I think and I'll retest then. That's one of the advantages of the Rapid Release process, you know two versions ahead whether your add-on will work, so the only people who should need to worry about compatibility are Nightly and Aurora testers right at the start of a release cycle, and anyone running those builds should know how to work-around add-on compatibility.

As a reminder, if you get SALR put on Addons.Mozilla.Org, they'll handle compatibility testing and version number bumping for you automatically, and e-mail you a report if they introduce any changes that actually break things. This is useful because you find out two releases ahead of time before any problems will occur. I'd recommend doing this after the next update, as add-ons have to be reviewed before they go live.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

Just install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter and never worry about this again.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

This is really the best plugin, I can use all kinds of outdated plugins I loved that haven't been updated with any new Firefox upgrades.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

vortmax posted:

This is really the best plugin, I can use all kinds of outdated plugins I loved that haven't been updated with any new Firefox upgrades.

And, I just found out they make one for Thunderbird!

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

Thanks! You live up to your name.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It's been a very long time since I said it but thank you to all of you that work on SALR, browsing the forums without it even for a few minutes kinda sucked. Guess I got way too used to that dropdown menu.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 30, 2011

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Brilliant! This should be in the OP (of every thread).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For what it's worth, SALR appears to be working fine in Firefox 9.0 (Aurora), so I'd bump the maxversion up to this.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I'm noticing a very small bug in FF7: The SA forums in the toolbar dropdown menu are no longer indented, it's just a flat list.

RandolphCarter posted:

It's been a very long time since I said it but thank you to all of you that work on SALR, browsing the forums without it even for a few minutes kinda sucked.
Yeah, I wanna echo this. SALR is pretty awesome and the forums feels very weird without it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The indentation is still there for me. v:)v

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
This is what I'm seeing. It's hardly a big problem. FF7.0.1, latest SALR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

RandolphCarter posted:

It's been a very long time since I said it but thank you to all of you that work on SALR, browsing the forums without it even for a few minutes kinda sucked. Guess I got way too used to that dropdown menu.

Yeah, you folks really deserve a lot of credit for the work you put in on this add-on. Whenever the browser updates and I need to manually navigate to this thread to find the new version it's really striking how goddamn primitive the native forums feel without it.

Thanks, and keep up the good work - it is appreciated! :)

• Locked thread