Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Looks like his elevator never moves from full deflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That's so sad. My sister and her husband were good friends with Brad Morehouse who crashed his L-39 back in '07. On the selfish side, I was going to get a ride with him later that year after the races were through which would have been a dream come true.

His wife kept saying although it's super tragic, he at least was doing exactly what he loved. However, in this case where spectators are involved, it's even more tragic.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I know some of you were wondering, so.... Strega was in first, the Galloping Ghost and Rare Bear were fighting for 2nd.

:(

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

VikingSkull posted:

I know some of you were wondering, so.... Strega was in first, the Galloping Ghost and Rare Bear were fighting for 2nd.

:(

Goddamnit. He had Galloping Ghost in contention with Rare Bear? It really was a beautiful airplane.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

So far 3 dead, 50+ injured.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

YouTube is pulling down the videos real quick.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Some guy on CNN is speculating it was caused by a high speed stall.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's not at all what it looks like.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

How many G's are these guys pulling? Could the pilot have passed out?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peace out Reno Air Races, you were fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Previa_fun posted:

YouTube is pulling down the videos real quick.

Why would they do that? They seemed to be uploaded by the makers?
Edit: Says removed by the user. Hmmm.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
CNN is reporting that a show spokesman said Leeward got off a Mayday call and pulled out of the lap before the crash.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

http://youtu.be/qs98xkTIBQU

This video is amazing. The sound of the aircraft approaching is horrendous, and this guy was really close to the crash. He didn't get the impact on camera really, but you can definitely see just how fast the plane disintegrated. There is a puff, then almost nothing.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Jesus Christ.

Click here to view the full image

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 17, 2011

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Jesus Christ.

Click here to view the full image

oh holy poo poo :gonk: Where did you get this?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Butt Reactor posted:

oh holy poo poo :gonk: Where did you get this?

Was in the gbs thread

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I've always wanted to go to the Reno races. This is just awful. :(

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I'm pretty sure the races will be back, it's a large part of Reno/Sparks, gently caress it's on our license plates and everything. Some family was there I guess, fairly close to where it happened, but they are OK.

But going home.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A couple more pictures from the GBS thread:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Ugh, 50% elevator effectiveness is a very bad thing in a p-51

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ that GBS thread

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Cygni posted:

Peace out Reno Air Races, you were fun.

Goddamnit. The plan was to go next year. I've wanted to go all my freaking life!

I really hope they make an announcement about next year soon, we'll be buying our tickets in less than a month if they're on.

This sucks in so many ways, hopefully nobody else dies.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Advent Horizon posted:

Goddamnit. The plan was to go next year. I've wanted to go all my freaking life!

I really hope they make an announcement about next year soon, we'll be buying our tickets in less than a month if they're on.

This sucks in so many ways, hopefully nobody else dies.

Despite what happened today, if you're a gearhead, it's basically heaven.
The noises those planes make when they go by is not only impossible to record and really capture, but it also defies description. You FEEL them go by.

I really hope it's still going next year.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fknlo posted:

A couple more pictures from the GBS thread:

I did some poking around regarding the elevator trim tabs on the P-51, and I found this:

P-51H Flight Test Report, 1946 posted:

However, at the high manifold pressures approaching 90" Hg. where water injection is necessary, the elevator trim is inadequate and it is necessary to exert excessive forward pressure on the control stick to maintain level flight.

It seems as though the elevator trim in a stock P-51 isn't great at high speed and power settings. The Reno racers are likely to have been modified, but no modifications can save you if they depart the aircraft. If what I read is true, there was likely no recovery from this...the control force needed would have been hundreds of pounds.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I would like to point out at first how bad the reporting got. First report was Rare Bear went into the crowd, with hundreds dead, then it was Rare Bear the P-51 Mustang, which made me wonder if it was VooDoo (both are brightly colored) and then finally it was the Ghost.

I think I might order the Air racing plates to show my support.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...
(re-post from GBS, to a forum where there might be more enlightened comments)

Re: earlier comment about "airplanes lose their trim tabs all the time"...

Early P-51's were delivered with cloth covered elevators (the moving surface, not the fixed horizontal stabilizer); later versions were retrofitted with metal covered elevators. Cloth covered were used to reduce the incidence of aerodynamic flutter, as they were more naturally damped. The loss of the tab could have indicated that there was a failure due to flutter.

It's also possible (any others know more about this?) that this was a booster tab, used to actually drive the elevator - the control linkage moves the tab down, the elevator moves up in reaction, the plane goes up in response to that. No booster, no elevator.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not sure if there are any Daily Show fans in this thread, but about a month ago he had an author on named Ann Jacobson who'd written a history of Area 51. I've picked it up, and I'm part way through it. It's a ripping yarn so far; right now I'm in the middle of the CIA's Oxcart program becoming operational. (I didn't realize the SR-71 was originally called the RS-71, until Lyndon Johnson accidentally transposed the letters when announcing it's existence.)

A little story from the book: when the Bell P59 Airacomet was being flight tested in the Mojave desert, it was of course, top secret. Propless airplanes in 1943 was a alien idea back then, so the air force was careful to keep them out of sight, even fixing fake props to them when they were on the ground. Still, P-38 Lightning pilots on training would occasionally fly close enough to get a good look.

So, the head test pilot orders from a Hollywood prop shop a gorilla mask, which he wears the next time a Lighting pilot was peeping. The test pilot also flies close enough to the Lightning so the Lightning pilot can get a good look inside the cockpit.

So, upon landing, the Lightning pilot heads straight to the local bar, orders a stiff drink, and announces that he's seen a propless airplane being flown by a Gorilla. Naturally, no one believes him. And because of this, all the other Airacomet test pilots order their own Gorilla masks.:haw:

That book is a crime against humanity. Well, Aviation, at any rate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

slidebite posted:

The guy who said that one wing is half the size of the other wing had to be trolling. I just...he *had* to be.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

galliumscan posted:

It's also possible (any others know more about this?) that this was a booster tab, used to actually drive the elevator - the control linkage moves the tab down, the elevator moves up in reaction, the plane goes up in response to that. No booster, no elevator.

I looked through the flight manuals for a P-51B and an F-51D, and didn't see any reference to the elevator being boosted.

The manuals refer to the rudder and ailerons using booster tabs (which doubled as trim tabs), but the elevator is only referenced as having a trim tab for both the B and D model Mustangs.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

I did some poking around regarding the elevator trim tabs on the P-51, and I found this:

It seems as though the elevator trim in a stock P-51 isn't great at high speed and power settings. The Reno racers are likely to have been modified, but no modifications can save you if they depart the aircraft. If what I read is true, there was likely no recovery from this...the control force needed would have been hundreds of pounds.
If I'm reading this correctly, the worst thing about this is that according to this you need your elevator trim fully down at full power... so imagine if you will, you are flying at very high speed and high power setting, with your elevator trim fully down as well as pushing on the stick to keep the nose down... and then your trim tab lets go.

On another forum I read about another incident with a P-51 called Voodoo Chile, which was flown by Bob Hannah. He went into a sudden +10G climb when his trim tab failed at high speed, with him blacking out instantly. He regained consciousness at 9000 feet.

With this information I think it's hard to see how the pilot's age could have been even a minor factor. RIP.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 17, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
When did the trip tab fail, was it immediately preceding the mayday and crash?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Slothophile posted:

That picture is huge, and is that body parts riding the shockwave?

I've self-banned myself from posting in GBS, but really, some people in that thread.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

And Rare Bear's engine builder passed away a couple of weeks ago at the age of 93.

I hope I live long enough to see a piston driven prop airplane hit Mach 1.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

InterceptorV8 posted:

That picture is huge, and is that body parts riding the shockwave?

I've self-banned myself from posting in GBS, but really, some people in that thread.

If you look for the parachute, you can see what is probably his torso and disconnected head. His legs probably are 15 feet or so in front of him.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tsuru posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, the worst thing about this is that according to this you need your elevator trim fully down at full power... so imagine if you will, you are flying at very high speed and high power setting, with your elevator trim fully down as well as pushing on the stick to keep the nose down... and then your trim tab lets go.

...causing the elevator control forces to increase almost instantly. Since no one short of He-Man would be able to hold several hundred pounds of force, the elevator would center itself in the airflow, causing an uncontrollable pitch-up of the aircraft.

Whether or not this proves to be a probable cause in this accident remains to be seen, it is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

InterceptorV8 posted:

I hope I live long enough to see a piston driven prop airplane hit Mach 1.

Isn't this impossible due to the decreasing efficiency of prop engines as they reach the speed of sound or does it just make it a bitch?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

I really wish the news and GBS posters would understand that the plane in question wasn't a P-51. It was the Galloping Ghost, it was a high performance experimental aircraft loosely based on a P-51, and there was no other plane in the world like it at all. Too many people are questioning why they let a 70 year old plane fly without understanding that the plane was nowhere near 70 years old.

Also that asymmetrical wing guy in the GBS thread was great.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

...causing the elevator control forces to increase almost instantly. Since no one short of He-Man would be able to hold several hundred pounds of force, the elevator would center itself in the airflow, causing an uncontrollable pitch-up of the aircraft.

Whether or not this proves to be a probable cause in this accident remains to be seen, it is certainly within the realm of possibility.
On a sidenote, has no-one considered that a fully trimmable stabilizer or a fully moving tailplane would be an asset for an air-racer? Since so many other things have been so heavily modified on these birds, a redesigned longitudinal control system and tailplane would probably make these birds even faster (and maybe safer?). As far as I can see nothing like this has been done to these racers. Even though many of them have been given smaller ailerons and tip fences, the tail looks like it hasn't been touched.

Bondematt posted:

Isn't this impossible due to the decreasing efficiency of prop engines as they reach the speed of sound or does it just make it a bitch?
This is probably true. You could conceivably do this if you had an engine that has enough power in a structure that could deal with all the vibration and compressibility issues, but acc to wikipedia even the thunderscreech with its nearly 6000hp could only do mach 0.7. So in theory yes, but practically no.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The top end of these planes are approaching 0.7 on a good day, so there's that.