Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Reminder that Jones believes she could take Ysengrin and Coyote at the same time and they didn't argue too much.

Whichever mythological entity she is, she's one of the super badass ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has her being a literal wandering eye of Coyote been proposed?
Maybe somebody bargained for Coyote's eye.
Its not like he's low on them.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

1stGear posted:

Reminder that Jones believes she could take Ysengrin and Coyote at the same time and they didn't argue too much.

The only mention of a "wandering eye" with reference to mythology is in an Egyptian creation myth, where the creator god wishes to search for his first creations which have left him, and removes an eye which becomes a goddess.

Not that it'd be that straightforward of course, even the mythology that is used fairly straightforwardly still has an interesting spin put on it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Zorak posted:

Rocks don't have genders! God do you know nothing about geology?

It was definitely igneous though.

But rocks do have a lot of cleavage. :downsrim:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

1stGear posted:

Strictly speaking, that isn't a case of Jones being able to match the two of them in a fight. It could be an assertion of an old agreement on their respective roles akin to a political treaty, it could be that Jones fighting them would just make the issue moot (I can't imagine standing next to a fight between godlike beings is healthy for school children), or it could be that Jones can do something that they can't counter to remove Annie. Nothing there automatically says that Jones is on the same level of them.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Well I did a fan art for gunnerkrigg week, even if nobody else listened to me. <:mad:>

So uninspired.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fried Chicken posted:

Nothing there automatically says that Jones is on the same level of them.

Especially when a couple pages later, Coyote freezes time like it's most normal thing in the world, and Jones takes absolutely no notice of what happened to Annie during that period.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

1stGear posted:

Man, that chapter is good. Like, Sky Watcher-good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kismet posted:

Well I did a fan art for gunnerkrigg week, even if nobody else listened to me. <:mad:>

So uninspired.

I like it. It's like an old children's book illustrations dealing with horrible, violent mythology in an accesible manner.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Saoshyant posted:

Especially when a couple pages later, Coyote freezes time like it's most normal thing in the world, and Jones takes absolutely no notice of what happened to Annie during that period.

Well, strictly speaking that doesn't mean anything either. Jones may simply have let Coyote do that. We have nothing that shows one way or the other what Jones is or the limits of what she could do. That Eglamore thinks there are scenarios in which he could beat her doesn't say much either - we don't know what he is capable of (though if he can go toe to toe with the god empowered general of the forest he probably has some firepower beyond a good gym routine) and he could be underestimating Jones. About the most indicative thing is that someone who is familiar with gods, demons, death avatars, and all other sorts of beings can't fully comprehend what Jones is.

Really, there is only one prediction or extrapolation we can make based on what we have seen so far: The next comic is going to be really awesome and result in us all wishing it was time for the next update already.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 17, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Zorak posted:

Rocks don't have genders! God do you know nothing about geology?

It was definitely igneous though.

Well I mean obviously, that's why I asked about sex not gender.

And clearly if I knew more about geology I wouldn't need your helping in sexing rocks.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kismet posted:

So uninspired.

Some listened.
Me, for instance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jones is a flesh golem created by the intimate bonding of two other flesh golems.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Kismet posted:

So uninspired.

What, when is GC week, wait.

That is lovely.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fatkraken posted:

The only mention of a "wandering eye" with reference to mythology is in an Egyptian creation myth, where the creator god wishes to search for his first creations which have left him, and removes an eye which becomes a goddess.

Not that it'd be that straightforward of course, even the mythology that is used fairly straightforwardly still has an interesting spin put on it.

See really that name comes from Antimony 'mishearing' the name: Coyote was referring to Jones as the Wandering "I", a fragment of her identity externalized as a confining, passionless regulator, more or less the superego. Sort of an imaginary authority instead of an imaginary friend, given tangible form (unless Eglamore Coyote etc. are read as projections of Annie's psyche too).

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 17, 2011

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Well, if we're posting our fan week stuff, I drew some too!

Also, it's not a super polished drawing or anything but I had to doodle Eglamore from this chapter. His dress is so cute, I want it! :3:

I have a couple more things I want to draw but I'm not sure I'll get to it before the whole fan week thing is over. There's been some really great stuff so far, I'd post some of it but I'm scared of making this one too image-heavy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

yellowyams posted:

Also, it's not a super polished drawing or anything but I had to doodle Eglamore from this chapter. His dress is so cute, I want it! :3:

Either you mean Paz, or Eglamore got up to some weird poo poo as a kid.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Everyone is Eglamore, especially Jones.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

YggiDee posted:

Everyone is Eglamore, especially Jones.

Someone who's not lazy photoshop this image:

DontMockMySmock posted:

so that "a robot" is replaced with "Eglamore". I'd mspaint it up but I don't think the text would fit in the existing space.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Someone who's not lazy photoshop this image:

so that "a robot" is replaced with "Eglamore". I'd mspaint it up but I don't think the text would fit in the existing space.

Wish granted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Sorry for the double post, but

Option B:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Dodgeball posted:

Option B:

I think you've landed on something. We can't rule out that it is Eglamore who is a robot

:stare:

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 17, 2011

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Some listened.
Me, for instance.

yellowyams posted:

Well, if we're posting our fan week stuff, I drew some too!

I have a couple more things I want to draw but I'm not sure I'll get to it before the whole fan week thing is over. There's been some really great stuff so far, I'd post some of it but I'm scared of making this one too image-heavy.

So rad. Any objections if I add these to the OP?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Kismet posted:

It's fine with me! Anyway, you guys really should check out all the fan week stuff if you haven't yet, here's some of my favorites besides the ones that have been posted already

by illasart

by drewapple

by punkrockshark

by allbearsallthetime

by magnoliaporter

by jelajade

I know this thread wasn't really made for posting images so I'll stop myself there, but this tumblr has been reblogging it all, I'd give it a look if you want to see the rest, there's definitely some really cool ones that I left out.

If all the images are making this page a pain to load I can take some down, just ask. :ohdear:

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 17, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
That magnoliaporter one is the greatest.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kismet posted:

No objections here.

And those lego Robox and Boxbot figures were really something special. Well, at least one of them was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This one needs a special shout out.

(But really, in addition to those posted, this is one of my favourites. Simple, but really nice)

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I like how Ysengrim looks not so much like an enforcer holding a badass pose as someone who really does not approve of such silliness.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MikeJF posted:

This one needs a special shout out.

(But really, in addition to those posted, this is one of my favourites. Simple, but really nice)
Shadow reminds me of Philippe. Who's seven dollars? You are!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shadow reminds me of Philippe. Who's seven dollars? You are!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dodgeball posted:

Wish granted:

Hah, I didn't expect anyone to actually do it. Thanks a lo-

Dodgeball posted:

:aaaaa:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

OP has been updated with goon art, and also with the latest treatise page. As always, if there's anything else in there that wants tweaking/adding, let me know.

yellowyams posted:

If all the images are making this page a pain to load I can take some down, just ask. :ohdear:

Is this an issue for anyone? Personally I love seeing more images in the thread, and this last page pretty much constitutes my entire argument in favour of keeping up the trend. It didn't occur to me that people might find it a problem for reasons other than preference.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Bud sure is modest. But then again, who knows if mutant crabs' voice organs are designed for singing!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paz in the first panel is freaking me the gently caress out. Stop looking at me like that!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shocking reveal: Vegeta is actually a girl! Take THAT, boring heteronormative romance!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Man, I would not have guessed, when Gunnerkrigg was new, that William would be one of the coolest characters.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Evil Sagan posted:

Man, I would not have guessed, when Gunnerkrigg was new, that William would be one of the coolest characters.

Eh, he's no Eglamore...

Or IS he? :tinfoil:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

Eh, he's no Eglamore...

Or IS he? :tinfoil:
Today, we are all Eglamore. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000