Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just did the 2nd boss fight on GMDE difficulty, what was that electricity stuff everyone was talking about? Nothing like that happened for me, and my fight lasted a good minute. All she did was run up to me, typhoon and run off. She was incredibly easy to follow around because she made these large puddles wherever she stepped, and if you shot her at least twice her cloak would turn off and she would stop moving. Eliza also warned me every time she was about to typhoon again, so there was really no danger since I could step behind cover and return my own typhoon in kind.

Douche Bag: Pay attention to the direction an enemy is facing, that is the best way to move between cover sections. Unless you stand around for ages your enemies dont generally look up and down either. If you are holding the 'cover' button/have your back against something, an enemy can walk right next to you, and will not see you unless they look directly at you. Lethal takedowns make noise, and non-lethal takedowns are completely silent, but knocked out enemies can be immediately woken up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

KnightLight posted:

Trying to go nonlethal is driving me insane. My tranquilizer dart sneak attacks keep killing my targets. These aren't just random folks, either, they are required to complete missions!

I guess there will be no Pacifist achievement for me.

How exactly are you killing people with a tranq dart? Are they falling into electrified floors or what :confused:

Douche Bag posted:

Just got this. Is stealth/sneaking around an absolute ballbreaker in this game or do I just need to get that initial stealth upgrade?

It depends on which stealth upgrade you mean - the one which shows enemy cones of vision? Entirely optional. Upgrading your cloak, on the other hand, quite handy!

The cover system makes stealth pretty simple if you're patient. Exploring and finding alternate side routes like the inevitable convenient vent hidden behind a barrel makes it easier.

So no, you don't need the vision cone/guard cooldown timer augs unless you want them. And don't ever put points in that Mark and Track poo poo, trust me :v:

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Psion posted:

How exactly are you killing people with a tranq dart? Are they falling into electrified floors or what :confused:

They just die. It's incredibly annoying.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

KnightLight posted:

They just die. It's incredibly annoying.

Are you talking about the MCB guy? Because that's some weird bug that would happen to me. Lethally take him down.

As far as I know, the other guys that show as dead aren't actually dead, it's just a weird bug. Shouldn't count against you for pacifist.

You might be better off avoiding the tranq gun. I find the stun gun much better anyway

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Psion posted:

It depends on which stealth upgrade you mean - the one which shows enemy cones of vision? Entirely optional. Upgrading your cloak, on the other hand, quite handy!

The cover system makes stealth pretty simple if you're patient. Exploring and finding alternate side routes like the inevitable convenient vent hidden behind a barrel makes it easier.

So no, you don't need the vision cone/guard cooldown timer augs unless you want them. And don't ever put points in that Mark and Track poo poo, trust me :v:

poo poo, I don't think I have a cloak. I just shut down an antenna at a gang hideout. Should I have one by now? I feel stupid asking this but I can't check fire up the game at the moment.

sponges fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 18, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

Just did the 2nd boss fight on GMDE difficulty, what was that electricity stuff everyone was talking about? Nothing like that happened for me, and my fight lasted a good minute. All she did was run up to me, typhoon and run off. She was incredibly easy to follow around because she made these large puddles wherever she stepped, and if you shot her at least twice her cloak would turn off and she would stop moving. Eliza also warned me every time she was about to typhoon again, so there was really no danger since I could step behind cover and return my own typhoon in kind.

I just did this boss on normal difficulty, and I didn't know about the electricity until one of the generators exploded out of the blue. I don't know whether it was my explosive-filled revolver or her charge attack thing that did it, but it paralyses her, and since I'd bought the electricity-proof upgrade, I was able to wreck her quickly with the revolver.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Psion posted:

It is a physics bug of some sort. Several specific enemies, if completely unaware they are in danger and sitting or standing next to a low wall, will simply die if hit with a tranq dart as though they had fallen a long way. It led to me manually checking every single guy I took down in the entire game to make sure I hadn't accidentally killed them. It is kind of hard to explain exactly which guys this happens with, but there were several that I could consistently cause the tranq=death thing on and led to me going out of my way to find alternate means of dealing with them.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I'm doing a second run of the game, pacifist and min-maxing my stats. Hacking in this game has some weird canyon-type curve in terms of difficulty. The middle of the game nearly every terminal has a red firewall (I don't know what to call it) that is easily hacked, whereas Detroit basically every terminal the firewall is behind a one way path. The very end of the game the firewalls are similarly unhackable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anyone have the link posted a bunch of pages back in this thread of the video where the guard mentions nearly getting crushed by the vending machine, then cut to Jensen massacring all of Zhao's office ambush with one, set to the theme of "Ecstasy of Gold"?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cowcaster posted:

Anyone have the link posted a bunch of pages back in this thread of the video where the guard mentions nearly getting crushed by the vending machine, then cut to Jensen massacring all of Zhao's office ambush with one, set to the theme of "Ecstasy of Gold"?

"Deus Ex ecstasy of gold" pulls it up easily, but here ya go for the lazy. Ecstasy of Au(gmentation).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bruceski posted:

"Deus Ex ecstasy of gold" pulls it up easily, but here ya go for the lazy. Ecstasy of Au(gmentation).

Bleh, I tried "Adam Jensen Ecstasy of Gold" and "Vending Machine Ecstasy of Gold". Cursed by my specificity. Thanks a bunch.

edit: Haha I hadn't seen this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9gDVQBxcc

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 18, 2011

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Pretty sure im not the only one who did this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglypBSCv-A&NR=1 (minor sidequest spoilers?)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Alright, which one of you did this.

Adam Jensen is a real ladies man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRMOeZspkU

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 18, 2011

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GreatGreen posted:

The double takedown where he stuns them then pimpsmacks both at once is priceless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dumb question: I don't ever see the prompt for doing takedowns on random civilians. Do I just have to hit the button anyway? Is there a thing I have to turn on?

Anyway, on my second run through in the game, near the end of the first part of Detroit. I have managed to get myself hacking 5 as well as a fair number of actual utility stuff, largely through doing sidequests, so I'm really feeling this 'the game throws praxis at you' thing people are talking about. I also turned the difficulty up from easy mode to normal and I have actually barely noticed, though probably a lot of that is because I am now ahead on the skill curve of being Robocop, for now.

What effects on the enemies do the different difficulty levels have, anyway? The most I've noticed is that armored guys seem harder to kill with guns, even with AP on the 10-mike.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Nessus posted:

Dumb question: I don't ever see the prompt for doing takedowns on random civilians. Do I just have to hit the button anyway? Is there a thing I have to turn on?

Anyway, on my second run through in the game, near the end of the first part of Detroit. I have managed to get myself hacking 5 as well as a fair number of actual utility stuff, largely through doing sidequests, so I'm really feeling this 'the game throws praxis at you' thing people are talking about. I also turned the difficulty up from easy mode to normal and I have actually barely noticed, though probably a lot of that is because I am now ahead on the skill curve of being Robocop, for now.

What effects on the enemies do the different difficulty levels have, anyway? The most I've noticed is that armored guys seem harder to kill with guns, even with AP on the 10-mike.

Just hit the Q button as you would otherwise.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Thundarr posted:

It is a physics bug of some sort. Several specific enemies, if completely unaware they are in danger and sitting or standing next to a low wall, will simply die if hit with a tranq dart as though they had fallen a long way. It led to me manually checking every single guy I took down in the entire game to make sure I hadn't accidentally killed them. It is kind of hard to explain exactly which guys this happens with, but there were several that I could consistently cause the tranq=death thing on and led to me going out of my way to find alternate means of dealing with them.

KnightLight posted:

Trying to go nonlethal is driving me insane. My tranquilizer dart sneak attacks keep killing my targets. These aren't just random folks, either, they are required to complete missions!

I guess there will be no Pacifist achievement for me.

I can confirm that killing someone with the tranq and getting a skull does not break your pacifist run. It still gives you the little bonus for merciful soul, even though they're dead. The tranq gun always kills that one gangster outside D-whatever's apartment, no matter what. Still got the trophy.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Nessus posted:

I took down Haas after he came at me outside my apartment and unintentionally took down some random at the same time with no prompt, it is just a matter of being close enough, and either holding or tapping for lethal/non.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

TheMostFrench posted:

and unintentionally took down some random at the same time with no prompt

I took down a Belltower guard and a female scientist in Upper Hengsha with this takedown. The lady did the punching.

The "BWAAAK" noise she made when Jensen bent her over made my day.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Confirming this. Just started a non-lethal playthrough and tranqed some guy at Sarif warehouses who was crouched down configuring a sentry and he just died, or at least the HUD showed a skull on him. Only noticed by chance, would've been royally pissed off if that had counted against me.

Mug posted:

I can confirm that killing someone with the tranq and getting a skull does not break your pacifist run. It still gives you the little bonus for merciful soul, even though they're dead. The tranq gun always kills that one gangster outside D-whatever's apartment, no matter what. Still got the trophy.
Ah good to know, thanks.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 18, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Regarding the spoiler crap a couple of pages ago - I was being semi-comical but I would say that there is this thread and a spoiler-specific thread for a reason, so no, I don't expect to see spoilers in here. The Demon's Souls thread has been going since forever and the game's been out for ages, but people still censor any spoilers. I shouldn't have to finish a game before I can post in a thread about it.

Ecstasy of (Au)gmentation has improved my mood, however, so let's all dance and party!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GreatGreen posted:

This actually makes me really uncomfortable. Shaggy's music doesn't help things.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, wouldn't it be wacky if someone used the takedowns in Deus Ex: Human Revolution on civilian NPCs instead of on enemies?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's kinda enh. I like this series of Adam being a dick though, because it looks like he's just sightseeing and people are volunteering info he didnt ask for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xd0LO04tis

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Douche Bag posted:

poo poo, I don't think I have a cloak. I just shut down an antenna at a gang hideout. Should I have one by now? I feel stupid asking this but I can't check fire up the game at the moment.
You can sneak through the entire game without ever buying an augmentation if you're careful enough, so don't worry about it. The augmentations just make it easier to do. Outside of the obvious cloak option, the augmentation that allows you to jump higher, the one that allows you to survive falls from any height, and the one that allows you to lift heavy objects are all helpful for sneaking through the game as well. The hacking augmentations help as well, since that can allow you to take easier routes and shut off security cameras, turrets and robots. None of them are required though.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2011

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Jason Bourne can take down 5 guys, with no augs.

http://youtu.be/avTejGH15FE

The most you can do is 2, even if there's a third nearby. That seem right to you when you have robot arms?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, the vending machines and nondestructible crates are incredibly overpowered. I carried a crate through most of Hengsha alternating between either using it as a mobile shield and headshotting over the top of it or throwing it at people who got in my way. Sometimes I had to travel quite long distances and break through several doors to find someone standing in my way :black101:

By the time I'd left China, I'd dropped every weapon except my upgraded pistol and my grenade collection (learned that the heard way in the first boss fight) because I simply didn't need anything else.

I only kept other guns for the chance to sell them, but I consistently had tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket at any one time, so what was the point in taking up booze space better used for fueling Jensen's secret alcoholic binges (and sadistically violent outbursts)?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Stumpus posted:

Jason Bourne can take down 5 guys, with no augs.

http://youtu.be/avTejGH15FE

The most you can do is 2, even if there's a third nearby. That seem right to you when you have robot arms?
With all the stuff they borrowed from Metal Gear Solid, they should have lifted the CQC from Peace Walker. In that game, if you did a takedown, you could do another takedown if another enemy way nearby. In fact, you could keep chaining takedowns ad nauseum, as long as there were hostiles in the Snake's Ownage Zone.

Would have been sick to be able to Icarus stun a group of dudes, then drop them with a chain of takedowns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finally got around to finishing the game and holy poo poo, when everyone was comparing it to Metal Gear Solid they weren't just talking about the gameplay! Hyron Project was straight up Metal Gear Arsenal poo poo... and I liked it! I ended up blowing up the facility. gently caress Taggart, gently caress Darrow, gently caress Sarif, and gently caress the world. I was sick of everyone's poo poo.

Gxp
Jan 23, 2004

Son I'm afraid this is a stereo disaster.
I don't know why I didn't post this here earlier.

Scientists are mainly concerned with augmenting sick beats.

Gxp fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 18, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I found out in Hengsha of playthrough 2 that gas grenades are non lethal. :psypop:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

While strutting around virtual Detroit, fighting crime and keeping the peace the only way Jensen knows how, I accidentally killed the weapons dealer who sells you the silencer :doh:

Is that the only opportunity to acquire the silencer?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nope, Since I did the same the first playtrhough.
I forgot where I got one though, but it was either very early in Hub2 or just before it or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's two dealers in Hub 2, but they're a pain in the rear end to find. One's hidden behind a secret panel that you'd probably never see if you dont have object highlighting on, and the second is hidden way down in a backroom in a warren.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tincans posted:

While strutting around virtual Detroit, fighting crime and keeping the peace the only way Jensen knows how, I accidentally killed the weapons dealer who sells you the silencer :doh:

I can't remember where else they are, but I know that by the end of the game I'd sold or passed on 2 of them and had put one on both the pistol and the assault rifle.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Tincans posted:

You can pick up a silencer for doing a side quest given to you when you come back to Detroit the second time, the quest is thrown at you as you advance the main mission line.

Hint: it involves a oh my god JC

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Tincans posted:

Aside from other dealers stocking it, there is a side mission a little later on from where you are which, if you do it non-lethally, you will get a silencer as a reward.

Which makes no sense, but there you go.

I just did a side mission which required me to hunt down a bunch of dudes. I finished the last two off by throwing the unconscious body of their buddy at them.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Tincans posted:

You'll be able to find one in a drawer in the Picus building.

The bad news is that that location has more drawers than IKEA.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 18, 2011

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ChuckDHead posted:

Its in a drawer in front of a turret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ChuckDHead posted:

This drawer is hidden behind some cardboard boxes, if that helps.

• Locked thread