Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Gorilla Salad posted:

A little thing I almost missed - in the Picus computers there's an email complaining about their coverage of the Australian Civil War from John Howard.

That was the name of our PM who became internet famous with this:

Sadly, in real life, he was just a oval office. Still a nice little touch by Eidos. It's the little things that make a game like this so replayable.

That email is great, 'calling a spade a spade' is exactly something Howard would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tapatio posted:

Is there anybody who didn't punch the Detroit subway break dancer in the face?
That guy and his antics burrowed into my brain like a memetic virus. Why does he have the cardboard laid out, but stays on his feet? What is that 'Riverdance As Performed By A Stroke Victim' move supposed to be? C-walking? Pop and lock? Did the animator in charge of him think "Huh, what kind of dances do poors like? Perhaps this 'broken dancing' or 'lockpopping' I saw on Youtube..."

I stuck him with the prod.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tapatio posted:

Is there anybody who didn't punch the Detroit subway break dancer in the face?

Apparently, the Jensen I was playing thought the break dancer was just "kind of annoying but whatever" until he did that "what you got boyeee yeah haha served" move. Then I guess Adam decided he didn't like the dancer anymore and killed everybody in the subway.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Doesn't the world's worst dancer get arrested and cuffed on the ground during the Detroit riot section or am I remembering wrong?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Daeren posted:

Doesn't the world's worst dancer get arrested and cuffed on the ground during the Detroit riot section or am I remembering wrong?

Yes I guess the police don't like his dancing either.

Wrecking him with a Typhoon was def. worth a save and reload.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

etalian posted:

Yes I guess the police don't like his dancing either.

Wrecking him with a Typhoon was def. worth a save and reload.

This is still one of my favorite things I've done with the typhoon. The others being everything else I've done with the typhoon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShineDog posted:

(Also, AC just slaps you on the wrist, it doesn't actually stop you.)

Killing civilians in AC makes you lose health yourself (it makes sense in the context of the game), so if your killing spree goes too fast it will most definitely stop you.

I always punch out the LIMB clerk in Malik's sidequest because he's wearing a 4Chan hat and generally acts like a contemporary internet jackass.

e: Also the guy who threatens to report me to Belltower.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 19, 2011

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Killing civilians in AC makes you lose health yourself (it makes sense in the context of the game), so if your killing spree goes to fast it will most definitely stop you.

More than that, you kill three in a short enough time span you de-sync immediately regardless of how much health you have.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

I always punch out the LIMB clerk in Malik's sidequest because he's wearing a 4Chan hat and generally acts like a contemporary internet jackass.

I knock him out and drop him off at the worst part of town.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Am I the only one that knocked people out for the delicious XP then unceremoniously double (or quintuple, dermal armor :argh:) tapped the sleeping enemies in the face? They needed to know that Jensen doesn't gently caress around :colbert: Near the end of Henghsa in Zhao's penthouse I managed to get a gas grenade off on the assembled belltower guys. I picked up a heavy machine gun and just raked the body pile until it became a corpse pile.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Was the boss fights being outsourced to another development studio as reported in this common knowledge? Especially that the head of the studio is kind of a dbag who didn't know anything about Deus Ex because he likes shooters? Because that suddenly explains everything.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Why the hell would you outsource that anyway?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al! posted:

Was the boss fights being outsourced to another development studio as reported in this common knowledge? Especially that the head of the studio is kind of a dbag who didn't know anything about Deus Ex because he likes shooters? Because that suddenly explains everything.

Well it would explain why the boss fights were so dull and disjointed compared to the other aspects of the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Deadly Hume posted:

My best guess is that it's like the mandatory split english/french thing--they have to have equal parts gaming gold and suck.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Scoobi posted:

Am I the only one that knocked people out for the delicious XP then unceremoniously double (or quintuple, dermal armor :argh:) tapped the sleeping enemies in the face? They needed to know that Jensen doesn't gently caress around :colbert:

Nope. That was the best way to do it, XP bonus or not. :c00l:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Some new answers on the DLC off Tumblr, I'll post the important ones since the questions repeat a lot:

Type
“The Missing Link will only be accessible from the main menu, and its content does not affect Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It is its own little bubble universe!”

Length
“We’ve seen an average of a little bit over five hours in playtest. If I’m not mistaken I think the playtest completion time bracket went from four hours (while missing a lot of content) to upwards of seven hours.”

Size
“Definitely upwards of 1.5 gb. Clean your hard drives and make some room, or you’ll regret it!”

Storyline
“The Missing Link will not appear in the main game narrative, and your augmentation set in The Missing Link will not carry over to the main game after you’ve completed it. While gameplay-wise The Missing Link is not tied back into the main game, narratively you will find out things that will shed some much needed light on some of the …shadier sections of the Human Revolution world.”

“Mary DeMarle, lead narrative designer on DX:HR was the lead writer on The Missing Link. Most members from the DX:HR writing team were back for writing duty on The Missing Link as well.”

And here's one unrelated to the DLC:

In the recently released video about play testing you mentioned the matrix system that tracks play testers as they played the game and then collated all of the information to assist developers to make changes that improved the game. will this system be present when the game is released so that developers can gain even more understanding of how players interact within games so that future games will need less 'adjustment' during alpha and beta play testing? Just to be clear i, personally, think this would be a good thing! Although i can imagine alot of (paranoid) people would disagree!

Frank says:
“The actual term is ‘metrics’. Yes, during playtests we were gathering information about each players, such as:

- How often do they die? Where? How?
- Which weapon did they prefer?
- How much ammo did they find?
- How long did they take to complete each level?

We used this data to balance the game. We were asked to design a system that would also ship with the game, so that the knowledge we gain may be applied to the next games. However, I do not know if it’s been included in the shipped code. Marketing may tell you more (hint: ask Kyle).”

Sorry, Frank. I’ve got nothing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I've had this game for about a week off of steam, I just reached Singapore. I got off and went to bed. Next time I tried to play it wouldn't load the game. Does anyone else have a problem like this or know how to fix it?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any good tips for the second boss?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Typhoon, EMP grenades, Typhoon, EMP protection, Typhoon

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Two new mods!

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122055

satan claus posted:

Deus Ex HR augmentation rebalance mod

info: Augmentation rebalance mod made to complement DxHR hard difficulty level,
but its optional and can be used on any difficulty.

Mod compatible with patch 1.1.630.0 and any older version of the game.
New game strongly recommended due augs price changes.

Changelist screenshot

Download mod

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122046

satan claus posted:

Inventory and weapon rebalance mod:

Main focus of the mod
- increase inventory size but keep game balance (no 99999 stack here)
-nerf sligtly 10mm pistol due its overpower
and few other weapon minor changes listed in readme.

Inventory with only modded items screenshot
--
download link (Mod compatible with patch 1.1.630.0 and any older version of the game)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Eggplant posted:

Typhoon, EMP grenades, Typhoon, EMP protection, Typhoon

Yeah, I don't have EMP shielding and I don't have nearly enough Praxis to get it ( I only have 0. )

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Good question, honestly. I can't even understand why the killings were mandated in the first place, story-wise, because killing them didn't really solve anything. The bosses were all just cogs in a bigger machine and any particular fate for them would have been fine. Their deaths really did nothing for the story other than satisfying typical "revenge" tropes.

I honestly wonder if it wasn't some of the business-minded higher ups with no idea about how to design games or what people who play this game would want just kind of forced them in because IN VIDEO GAMES YOU KILL THINGS AND THAT'S THAT.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Capsaicin posted:

Stun gun, you can either kill it completely with it or just stun, shoot her and stun again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreatGreen posted:

Good question, honestly. I can't even understand why the killings were mandated in the first place, story-wise, because killing them didn't really solve anything. The bosses were all just cogs in a bigger machine and any particular fate for them would have been fine. Their deaths really did nothing for the story other than satisfying typical "revenge" tropes.

That's just another reason why everyone is so obsessed with them- Adam is forced to decide that they deserve to die, even if the player doesn't decide this, the same as JC Denton was forced to betray UNATCO and side with Paul and the Illuminati in Deus Ex 1. He even does this after learning that Megan is actually still alive.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
well to be fair to DX 1, if you had the ability to side with UNACTO it would have been basically two separate games and taken 10 years to make.

DX gives you a wide range of choices on how to do things, but you still have to follow the predetermined story as a general outline. A non lethal or non combat way to take out the bosses would have been a nice touch.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I think my problem, as far as the narrative is concerned, wasn't that I was forced to kill them but that I didn't know or care enough about them to care whether they lived or died. I mean I knew that the story was designating them BAD GUYS but besides being stock villains they didn't have anything going for them to make me care.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Haha, it's pretty ridiculous how quickly you can speedrun this game if you only do primary objectives and skip your way through all cutscenes and conversation. I did a quick runthrough this morning to get Pacifist and it only took 4 hours or so, knowing the right routes to take and what augs to choose. Kinda makes me wish the game had MGS-style ratings at the end of a playthrough.

It also feels pretty badass to not give a gently caress about alarms and just keep trooping through the level while poo poo blows up behind you.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Cat Machine posted:

Haha, it's pretty ridiculous how quickly you can speedrun this game if you only do primary objectives and skip your way through all cutscenes and conversation. I did a quick runthrough this morning to get Pacifist and it only took 4 hours or so, knowing the right routes to take and what augs to choose. Kinda makes me wish the game had MGS-style ratings at the end of a playthrough.

It also feels pretty badass to not give a gently caress about alarms and just keep trooping through the level while poo poo blows up behind you.

I genuinely want to try this one of these days, on TMAS mode, with Typhoon, all the armor/resistance/toughness augs, battery recharge speed. What other augs would be conducive to a speedrun to you guys?

deepshock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 19, 2011

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah I've started a homicidal maniac run and you can fly through the game pretty quickly when you don't have to worry about alarms or silent takedowns.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I did a quick runthrough this morning to get Pacifist and it only took 4 hours or so, knowing the right routes to take and what augs to choose.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You can run through the game, start to finish, in 4 hours?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreatGreen posted:

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You can run through the game, start to finish, in 4 hours?

If all you do is the primary mission objectives, and ignore all exploration, sidequests, reading text documents, storage rooms full of ammo, and especially maintaining stealth, 4 hours is quite believable. The vast majority of content in this game does not advance you towards its ending, it's there for you to better prepare for the content that does and to exercise your freedom to take other paths through the world.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

You could probably speedrun it in a couple if this dude is to be believed: http://www.twitch.tv/vunik/videos

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Wouldn't be to big of a stretch.

I beat the entire game doing absolutely everything in Detroit/Hengsha/Picus/Detroit, and then just rushing the ending of Hengsha/Singapore/Panchea/stuff, and I still finished in around 12 hours total. Of course, I stopped doing the hacking minigame unless I had to fairly early on.

Out of curiosity, are the AUDs only available in the game world if you got the copy from Gamestop? I just looked around trying to find them, and realized I've never seen a single one spawn, and can't find them at merchants either, I just assumed they are rare, but wondering if its more a only can get them from that version of the game style thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, are the AUDs only available in the game world if you got the copy from Gamestop? I just looked around trying to find them, and realized I've never seen a single one spawn, and can't find them at merchants either.

Yes. gibbed's debug menu unlocker will let you spawn them though I think.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Easily. I started at ~10am and was done by 3pm with plenty of breaks. There are only six main story missions (the plant, FEMA, TYM, Picus, Omega Ranch, Panchea ) each of which can take as little as 15 minutes with the right route. Everything in between is just running to waypoints and mashing 'Use'

For anyone wondering about augs:
- 3/3 Cloak
- All 5 levels of hacking and all three levels of stealth hacking
- Icarus (lets you bypass a lot of stuff when combined with cloak, you can jump off catwalks/buildings and skip whole sections)
- Longer sprint
- Typhoon (for bruteforcing boss battles)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

4H sounds pretty good, if you see how fast other games can be done even without outright breaking the game, that sounds pretty decent.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Tecman posted:

Type
“The Missing Link will only be accessible from the main menu, and its content does not affect Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It is its own little bubble universe!”

That sounds terrible.

GreatGreen posted:

While that may be true for most enemies, do you truly think the Bosses would just stop coming after you if you only knocked them out?

They would keep coming back over and over again until you killed them, which would be far more of a pain to code. It would also still result in people complaining about railroading... despite that the behavior perfectly fits their 'indentured thug' character.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 19, 2011

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I see what they have done here. DLC is not actually "bonus" content but the stuff they should have put in the game during development but ran out of time because of retarded game business poo poo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does gibbed's debug menu let you play through the Tong pre-order mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
So... I beat the game for the first time.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE MALIK :qq:

That aside, I'm not happy with my first run. Cheated up a fully upgraded revolver and loads of ammo for it at a point that I got stuck at. Also, didn't someone say there were four choices at the end? I only was given two.

• Locked thread