Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImperialGuard posted:

So... I beat the game for the first time.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE MALIK :qq:

Because you didn't try hard enough. You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ImperialGuard posted:

So... I beat the game for the first time.

That aside, I'm not happy with my first run. Cheated up a fully upgraded revolver and loads of ammo for it at a point that I got stuck at. Also, didn't someone say there were four choices at the end? I only was given two.

The Darrow ending and splodey ending are always there. To get Sarif's and Taggart's endings, you have to find and talk to them in Panchaea before you take the big elevator down to wrap things up.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

404notfound posted:

The Darrow ending and splodey ending are always there. To get Sarif's and Taggart's endings, you have to find and talk to them in Panchaea before you take the big elevator down to wrap things up.
I was wondering what I was missing by not talking to them. :doh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ImperialGuard posted:

Gonna blow your mind here. Get ready.

She doesn't have to die.

Boom.

:ssh:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

She doesn't have to die.

Boom.

I was a hero, all it took was 5 sniper rounds about 20 combat rifle rounds an emp grenade and an energy bar. Thats the best one man army moment in the entire game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

http://www.elecplay.com/watch/21/191/3/14

Has this been posted yet? It's an interview with the Devs (seperate company) that made the boss fights. I'm guessing this interview was done before the game came out. So much irony you could cut it with a knife.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Hahaha just found the "hacktheplanet" email from "Zerocool" I love the little tidbits in this game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spaceman Future! posted:

I was a hero, all it took was 5 sniper rounds about 20 combat rifle rounds an emp grenade and an energy bar. Thats the best one man army moment in the entire game.

I love scarfing down on all the energy bars I'm carrying, whipping on cloak, and running into the fray doing takedowns on everybody. Really nice to have a section like that where I can just unload on everybody. Shame the end of the game isn't as cathartic. Why couldn't you have gone to a killer robot factory or infiltrated a secret Illuminati kung-fu training center, Adam?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Crappy Jack posted:

I love scarfing down on all the energy bars I'm carrying, whipping on cloak, and running into the fray doing takedowns on everybody. Really nice to have a section like that where I can just unload on everybody. Shame the end of the game isn't as cathartic. Why couldn't you have gone to a killer robot factory or infiltrated a secret Illuminati kung-fu training center, Adam?

Splinter Cell: Conviction does a good job of making you feel like an utter badass at the end: you get unlimited usage of the mark-and-execute mechanic, so you're effortlessly headshotting guys left and right .

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

404notfound posted:

Splinter Cell: Conviction does a good job of making you feel like an utter badass at the end: you get unlimited usage of the mark-and-execute mechanic, so you're effortlessly headshotting guys left and right .

I remember being very lukewarm toward Conviction until that point. I understand it'd totally ruin the balance of the game, but I really wished they'd included that as a cheat code for a replay so I could just run through the game like a badass. More games need a climax that just lets you utterly decimate your opponents as a way of saying "We know you busted your rear end playing the game up until now, so here, have fun".

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

GreatGreen posted:

Does gibbed's debug menu let you play through the Tong pre-order mission?

Yeah, use the map select.

It's just a sewer level with a lot of Belltower people.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Offkorn posted:

That sounds terrible.

While that may be true for most enemies, do you truly think the Bosses would just stop coming after you if you only knocked them out?

They would keep coming back over and over again until you killed them, which would be far more of a pain to code. It would also still result in people complaining about railroading... despite that the behavior perfectly fits their 'indentured thug' character.

Not really - you could easily work a storyline angle in there which made sense of it. What if they just couldn't find you after that encounter? That's not entirely illogical, and with some actual half decent writing around that, it could be properly justified in line with the story. It wouldn't be hard.

GreatGreen posted:

She doesn't have to die.

Boom.

Are you loving joking? I presumed that was something you couldn't change. GAH.

On the above note, I was a bit confused that when I found Malik's body in that butchers / operating room in Tong's base that I couldn't bring it up in conversation. Does Jensen not give a poo poo that they're cutting up his friend for her augs, like she were a prize cow that had been slaughtered?

Seems a bit stupid. I dragged her into Tong's room as if to say "look at that, look, you oval office.

It didn't work, though. Obviously.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gazmachine posted:

Are you loving joking? I presumed that was something you couldn't change. GAH.

There are two ways she can get killed in the Hengsha attack, and if you save her, she'll help you out at the last part of Singapore

Just finished my first run of the game. It was a great ride, although I do wish that Montreal and Singapore were hubs offering more gameplay. The boss fights were a little disappointing (and knowing that they're outsourced, even more so) especially as the trailer shows them shooting people in what looked like the Detroit riots. Was expecting crazy MGS-like expositions but instead it's "yeah I'll let her bleed out like a pig for a sec while I talk to you". Still, it took up almost 26 hours on me so I can't really complain.

Am I the only person who found it hilarious that in Hengsha, the major character Tong Sr appears to be the only person who can't speak Chinese properly :v:

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 20, 2011

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gazmachine posted:

On the above note, I was a bit confused that when I found Malik's body in that butchers / operating room in Tong's base that I couldn't bring it up in conversation. Does Jensen not give a poo poo that they're cutting up his friend for her augs, like she were a prize cow that had been slaughtered?
They probably just found the body dumped in a ditch, it's nothing personal.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

ImperialGuard posted:

you can save her, if you kill all the attackers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

coolskillrex remix posted:

Huh? it says a lot when you say its NOT worth exploring stuff, and then other guys are trolling me when i say i wasted time looking in drawers or hacking certain computers (durr "give me halo of duty LOL"). Everyone needs to make up their mind
Who is saying it's not worth exploring stuff? I'm saying you are doing this poo poo to yourself and you can't blame the game for making you do something you don't want to do, when it does not.

Anyways i wanted to explore. Exploration = game content. Hacking = not game content, and only stands in the way of it. Period.
I'm sorry, hacking IS part of the game. It is, in fact, half the game. Maybe it's part of the game you don't like. Ignore it if you wish then.

quote:

Dont bother responding to my posts if you dont read the bolded line.

You loving child. I read it. Now what? Is it a deep meaning to your lovely bolded line? Is it supposed to make me go into an epiphany and say "oh poo poo that's what he meant I'm such a loving idiot"?

Because it just makes you sound like an entitled troll who can't communicate without putting an ultimatum behind your posts. gently caress you.

Also, everything in the game is "game content", sorry, you lose.

I never failed any hacking games, i ended the game with something like 15 nukes, and 20 stop worms, because it was a waste of time to even use them. 99% of the hacks dont require using any of that if you simply go straight for the hub, thats how mindless they were.
Yet they bothered you to the point where you needed to post poo poo. Why did you even bother?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

They probably just found the body dumped in a ditch, it's nothing personal.

I suppose, but even so, you'd think he might have said something like "I'm taking her back with me - she's a friend" or something.

This way it's like he thinks it's fair game.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Offkorn posted:

That sounds terrible.

While that may be true for most enemies, do you truly think the Bosses would just stop coming after you if you only knocked them out?

They would keep coming back over and over again until you killed them, which would be far more of a pain to code. It would also still result in people complaining about railroading... despite that the behavior perfectly fits their 'indentured thug' character.

For me, an ideal scenario, if the player manages to avoid every boss, would be to have them all appear at the Omega Ranch in Singapore, like Walton Simons in Area 51. I'm sure some reason could be contrived in-game. Also, rather than having a special cutscene-introduced "boss battle", it'd be nice for the game to just treat them as badass normal enemies. Being able to kite Barrett or Namir around the map into some exploding barrels or hacked robots/turrets would be more interesting than what we got, I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

I suppose, but even so, you'd think he might have said something like "I'm taking her back with me - she's a friend" or something.

This way it's like he thinks it's fair game.

I'll take that arm too, that was also a friend!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Well, if you knock out Nasir he turns up again and again throughout the game, with more money on his body each time you do it. The final time he had at least 1000 credits on him.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Gazmachine posted:

Not really - you could easily work a storyline angle in there which made sense of it. What if they just couldn't find you after that encounter? That's not entirely illogical, and with some actual half decent writing around that, it could be properly justified in line with the story. It wouldn't be hard.

Um... they all work for the same organization and are part of the same team. If one can find you, they all can find you. You don't think Typhoon-girl was just hanging out at Picus on her day off do you?

Barring the first boss, they are all deliberately sent after you.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

For me, an ideal scenario, if the player manages to avoid every boss, would be to have them all appear at the Omega Ranch in Singapore, like Walton Simons in Area 51. I'm sure some reason could be contrived in-game.

I thought about something like that. Don't kill the first? Fight two during the second encounter. Don't kill either of them then? Have to fight all three the third encounter.

Unfortunately (for those that want to play the game like Thief), that would magnify the 'difficulty of defeating them with a non-combat build' issue quite a bit.

If people are complaining about not being able to kill Typhoon-girl now, just image how hard they would be raging if they had to fight both her and chain-gun-guy at the same time.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 20, 2011

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just finished my first run of the game. It was a great ride, although I do wish that Montreal and Singapore were hubs offering more gameplay.
Oh my god a Singapore hub would be amazing.

"Wah lau, your augs drat solid one!"
"Eh, look at that ang moh, wearing sunglasses at night. So blur..."

quote:

Am I the only person who found it hilarious that in Hengsha, the major character Tong Sr appears to be the only person who can't speak Chinese properly :v:
Is this because he called Jensen 'gwailo' in one scene, and then 'laowai' in another? Maybe his brain is stuck in 一国两制 mode :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That'd be like dropping Jensen in the middle of Just Cause 2. My god. Imagine the possibilities.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Offkorn posted:

Um... they all work for the same organization and are part of the same team. If one can find you, they all can find you. You don't think Typhoon-girl was just hanging out at Picus on her day off do you?

Barring the first boss, they are all deliberately sent after you.

I know, I know, obviously they would write something that would make more sense - I was just making the point that you could easily write something which would rationalise you being able to non-lethally take out the bosses yet not have you need to fight them again. I wasn't offering up "they can't find you now" as a viable solution.

Quick and cheesy option - seeing as all the chips in augs' heads are freaking out, they could have manual killswitches in there, like in the first Deus Ex, which are triggered by whoever's behind all this, because he finds them unworthy due to not being able to take you out, and therefore an inferior prototype, unworthy of keeping.

Or whatever. I'm just saying it would be easy to rationalise not fighting them again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ahahahaha I just started a pacifist run and met Letitia for the first time. How did I miss her? She's like a sassy fat black woman trapped in a slim girl's body, constantly grabbing a hot dog from the trash can and putting it back in.

Tupperwarez posted:

Oh my god a Singapore hub would be amazing.

"Wah lau, your augs drat solid one!"
"Eh, look at that ang moh, wearing sunglasses at night. So blur..."

"My name is Bolo Santosi." :v: Just thinking of that voice in Deus Ex brings tears to my eyes.

quote:

Is this because he called Jensen 'gwailo' in one scene, and then 'laowai' in another? Maybe his brain is stuck in 一国两制 mode :v:

To be specific, it's this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7T-1qcdJaI&feature=related (Hengsha spoilers) at about 1.18. "Let us dang mu dang e here" :psyduck: It sticks out because all the incidental Chinese dialogue are usually pretty good, like the prostitute asking to "help you relieve stress" and the beggar telling you to burn and die. Then there's dang mu dang e here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You could have 3 basic options for boss fights:

1) Kill them. Game continues as it currently does.

2) Run away. They return later on for extra fun.

3) KO them. Take them to Sarif Industries where they're taken apart and interrogated. Later on you get an infodump with bonus information or goodies. Or, they could simply blow up like MiBs from the first game no matter how you take them down.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not in this thread as such, but are there really people calling the game racist because Tong rips the piss out of you with his 'ancient Chinese secret' line? I mean of all the things to get worked up over... :negative:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

3) KO them. Take them to Sarif Industries where they're taken apart and interrogated. Later on you get an infodump with bonus information or goodies. Or, they could simply blow up like MiBs from the first game no matter how you take them down.

Yeah, this is the sort of thing I mean, although my brain was being stupid dumb. Option 3 is simple, makes sense, and would have simply needed one line of dialogue to explain what was happening. In fact, this is exactly what happens in the side missions where you are given the option to deal with people lethally or non-lethally.

I guess that's what happens when you outsource the boss fights to a team who are known for creating crowd scenes. I mean who made that decision?

poptart_fairy posted:

Not in this thread as such, but are there really people calling the game racist because Tong rips the piss out of you with his 'ancient Chinese secret' line? I mean of all the things to get worked up over... :negative:

When I first heard it I did a bit of a double take, but then put it in context - it's clearly meant as Tong commenting on Westerners stereotyping Easterners, as in "oh I don't know, it must have been crazy foreign magic". Anyone getting upset eithe rhasn't played it in context and heard the quote independently, or is very stupid. I would argue it's a comment attacking prejudiuces, albeit a totally throwaway one.

It's like an aussie going "oh I don't know, I found it in a kangaroo's pouch".

Or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gazmachine posted:

it's clearly meant as Tong commenting on Westerners stereotyping Easterners,

Precisely how I read it. Tong's a dick, so he's going to say something suitably dickish. :v:

The 'you lackeys all look the same' thing seems to be getting similar momentum in similar areas. I mean yes the context is questionable, but it's clearly not intended as a racial thing. I mean c'mon, there's Laticia in the game there's no need to go warping everything else. :saddowns:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

poptart_fairy posted:

What? If anything that line empowers Tong because he's using it to ice-burn Jensen, and neatly encapsulates his 'Shut the gently caress up, dumb gwailo' approach to their team-up. Everyone in China was pretty well handled, I thought. Definitely a quantum leap ahead of DX1's "Yoo wirr not reave Hong Kong arive!"

Detroit, on the other hand... sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I liked the Ancient Chinese Secret line. His mangling of the line though, that's probably due to the voice actor actually being japanese I guess.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The 'you lackeys all look the same' thing seems to be getting similar momentum in similar areas. I mean yes the context is questionable, but it's clearly not intended as a racial thing. I mean c'mon, there's Laticia in the game there's no need to go warping everything else. :saddowns:

I missed this line I think - could someone elaborate?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Well - Jensen gets an option to annoy someone, and the line is something like 'I dunno, you guys all look the same to me' and considering the guy is asian it seems a bit racist, but when you hear the delivery it really is just for the purpose of antagonizing him.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Tong's "ancient Chinese secret" quip absolutely cracked me up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Supreme Court posted:

It was hilarious and anyone who thinks it was meant to be offensive has no ability to read people or understand context.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I thought Tong was kind of awesome. Especially the bit when you find out what happened to Sevchenko.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

4) Kill switch behind a level 5 security terminal without a passcode or hidden someplace necessarily difficult to get to.

As far as "Jensen doesn't say anything about Malik" goes, I think that's more indicative of the devs cutting their losses after the branch where you can save her or not by not dedicating much time, money, or effort to the results of either decision. It already seems like they were strapped for time by the end so having to pull double-duty by coming up with two separate endings for what's essentially a sidequest probably ranked pretty low on the priority list.

Or if you want to be really optimistic it's actually a clever callback to Paul in the first Deus Ex!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 20, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Deadly Hume posted:

I thought Tong was kind of awesome. Especially the bit when you find out what happened to Sevchenko.

Especially the shock if you remember the arm aug from the intro level of the game.

I also like the small detail If you fail to save Malik you find her corpse in the process of getting sawed up for augs in the Harvester hideout

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously, the return to Hengsha is what a proper Deus Ex 'boss fight' should be. A high pressure situation with high stakes and a million ways to gently caress up, but you can walk out of it having killed everyone, or take them out with a fuckload of bruises or run away like a goddamn coward and wondering how you're going to live with yourself. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Supreme Court posted:

It was the perfect crowner for the running gag of Jensen getting bothered about unfamiliar people talking in his head.

• Locked thread