Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

organburner posted:

I haven't bothered getting my password since the whole Sony hacked thing though, so I didn't play online. Just wanted to get through the game, and I did.

There are only two bosses in this game I felt were straight up unfair. The Guys who you fought on the bridge where dodging was a hazard (Manslayerbeast or whatever) and the false king.
I guess the storm king was also unfair unless you knew to run through the entire boss area to grab this one sword. Or if you had magic (I didn't really)

I'd say unfair is entirely the wrong word. Difficult? Definitely. But they are always fair.

Except the dragons, they're just bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Well, I always felt that Maneater is the unfair boss if any of them are. That shockwave ripple attack took me out more times than I like.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just got a PS3 and this game, and this is the most fun I've had with a video game since the release of Diablo 2.

Just when I was starting to feel competent, I stumbled across the tower knight. I think I saw him for all of five seconds before dying to some kind of spear or lance stab.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Satanos posted:

I almost never invade, but the one time I did for kicks the other player just hid at the start of the level.

It was 1-4 and I knew exactly where they were since the wolves were lying in wait still. Hid near the locked gate hoping to ambush them, but eventually I just sighed, cast warding and walked over to cut them down. It was a brutal massacre and I suddenly understood why everybody loved being black phantoms.

I've had a few people who went and hid near the archstone. I wonder how many of them know that invaders don't tend to just give up because it means taking a hit in your soul level.

I've had my fair share of people who disconnect immediately when I invade them, and more than a few who sent me nasty messages after I killed them/the invasion went sour. I had someone who sent me a nasty message after I got jacked up by his two blue phantom friends, then I invaded him again a little while later when he didn't have his friends to help him, he wasn't so ready to send that message after I rammed a sword down his throat.

The most fun I've ever had as an invader, though, was in 3-1. I was trying to get summoned as the Old Monk and didn't have any luck, so I threw down my black eye stone instead, and got this guy who just started the level. Instead of trying to get him quick, I played some games with him. I'd go ahead and kill certain enemies that he might have a bit of trouble with so he could progress through the stage a bit easier, then every now and then, I'd shoot him from a distance with a crossbow or something pathetically weak like that. Basically, I messed with his head up until the stairs where the black phantom is, and then I put him down. Can't let him get up to that fog gate, now can we?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Satanos posted:

I'd say unfair is entirely the wrong word. Difficult? Definitely. But they are always fair.

Except the dragons, they're just bullshit.

I don't get how the storm king would reasonably be beaten unless you either knew enough magic or knew to go find the sword.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

organburner posted:

I don't get how the storm king would reasonably be beaten unless you either knew enough magic or knew to go find the sword.

Arrows. He's not very durable.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

How much influence does your starting class have on this game? I picked temple knight after agonizing over the manual for what was surely far too long, but after some soul levels, it seems like most any initial choices wouldn't matter all that much.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Your initial class only sets your starting equipment and stats. Everything every class has can be found in the game, and you can learn how to do everything any other class can, so it's less of a class and more of a base.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Satanos posted:

Arrows. He's not very durable.

More specifically, the Lava Bow is tremendously helpful if you're anything other than Dex focused. It may not do as much damage per-hit as the Stormruler, but it can easily get off 6 hits every time the Storm King rolls around. I think I almost killed him during his first pass on New Game + with a Lava Bow and Heavy Arrows.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a foolish pianist posted:

How much influence does your starting class have on this game? I picked temple knight after agonizing over the manual for what was surely far too long, but after some soul levels, it seems like most any initial choices wouldn't matter all that much.

Almost none. If you're minmaxing for PvP you should either pick Temple Knight for most melee classes or Royal if you're going to be a mage of some sort. However, if you take some other starting class instead of these two at most you'll waste like five soul levels and so "finish" your build at 125 instead of 120, which is still well within invading range.

If you're playing strictly PvM even this incredibly minor concern is moot. You will always be able to grind some more levels and do what you want with your character.

Best starting classes are, IMO:
-Solider (has a spear which becomes the go-to weapon for many people new to the game -- you can buy a spear in 1-1 for like 1500 souls though so this isn't a huge deal, and you can find the best spear in the game very early in 1-2)
-Temple Knight (good shield, shields are very important in Demon's Souls. The Knight and Priest are the other two that have good shields but the Temple Knight has more solid starting stats than those two)
-Royal (has an MP regen ring that others can find later on but which is most useful right at the beginning)

Worst are:
-Thief (great starting armor but only has a dagger out of the gate)
-Magician (basically same as a royal but doesn't have the MP regen ring so why bother)
-Barbarian (bullshit weapon, bullshit shield)

Keep in mind that after you kill your first boss you will be able to go anywhere, level any stat, get any weapon or spell, etc. So these choices only involve how you get to the point of beating the first boss. Your very first time through this will seem difficult but after you've done it once or twice the level will be a cakewalk. As sort of mentioned above, the only sticking point with choice of starting class is that you can't decrease their levels beyond what they start with and Luck isn't worth a poo poo and should never be leveled so if you want a character who will be as strong as possible at as low a soul level as possible (which would only matter for PvP) you'd pick a character that doesn't have any bulging stats you don't need and has low luck -- which means a Temple Knight for melee or a Royal for mages, which also happen to be two of the best starting characters anyway.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 18, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I went with the Temple Knight, and I'm going to be pretty strictly PvM (aren't they turning the servers off soon anyway, so everyone will be strictly local PvM?), so I don't think I've wasted much.

I found a Winged Spear in 1-1, before I fought Phalanx - some random soldier dropped it - and I've been using and upgrading it as much as possible.

I went into the underground world, killed some weird guys, and got some more material. I tried a few of the others and died really fast - once to a tentacle-faced thing that shot me with blue lightning, another time to some cartwheeling terminator-type things, so I think I'm going to head back and try for the Tower Knight again.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I went with the Temple Knight, and I'm going to be pretty strictly PvM (aren't they turning the servers off soon anyway, so everyone will be strictly local PvM?), so I don't think I've wasted much.

I found a Winged Spear in 1-1, before I fought Phalanx - some random soldier dropped it - and I've been using and upgrading it as much as possible.

I went into the underground world, killed some weird guys, and got some more material. I tried a few of the others and died really fast - once to a tentacle-faced thing that shot me with blue lightning, another time to some cartwheeling terminator-type things, so I think I'm going to head back and try for the Tower Knight again.
spoilered in case you don't want the advice.

If you feel up to it, there's a blessed mace in 5-1that will help you kill the skeletons in world 4. Remember, since they're skeletons piercing and slashing doesn't do much to them.

And the mindflayers(tentacle face dudes): if you can dodge the lightning ball, they're fairly easy.

Draven fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you get your spear to +6 don't take it to +7. You'll find some stones later to make a popular upgrade to a Moon Winged Spear from the +7 spear and that's the overall safest weapon in the game.

Good places to go are world 2 (Stonefang Mines -- lots of upgrade materials) and world 4 (good soul farming and a few great items laying around on the ground, this is the one with the rolling terminators -- use your shield, don't let them hit you with the big overhand attack). Tower Knight is fine, too.

Increasing your Vitality to 20 will help a lot. Other than that get stats for the stuff you want to use (usually more strength) and to be able to use basic spells (10 magic, 10 intelligence, 10 faith) and a bit later advanced spells (14 intelligence, 16 faith). Getting endurance up to 20 will also be very helpful. The rolling terminators (everybody calls them silver skeletons) in 4-1 are the easiest source of farmable souls for now, once you figure out how to kill them that is.

There's a vendor in world four (poke at bricked up doorways to find him) that sells leather armor. It's fairly protective and light enough to allow you to roll around quickly instead of like a putz. Consider buying a set, it's not too expensive (maybe 3500 souls).

Wear your Thief Ring and Cling Ring almost always. Use your shield. Love your shield. But your shield can't always save you.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 18, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just beat the Maneater on my NG+ using melee and it was a hell of an intense fight. I managed to lose the first one and make it over to the 3-3 fog gate to wait for the second so I could fight them separately. The first one took ages because he kept flying away and I rarely actually had the chance to hit him.

The second one was a fair bit easier though, since I could use the brazier in the middle to my advantage against him, and I didn't cut off his tail, so he kept trying to do that boost thing he does, which gave me a chance to do some serious two hand damage in relative safety.

Took me around 10-15 attempts, but the time I beat him was the only time the fight lasted any more than a minute. So felt like once I got him figured out I was alright. Thank god for my DSS + 4. All in all I think I've made up for one shotting both with firestorm on my very first playthrough.

My Tower of Latria had better be pure white now or I'm gonna be upset!

Edit: Has anyone taken on both Maneaters at the same time, on a a NG+, using melee and won? Without any second chance or warding bullshit?

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 18, 2011

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Leyburn posted:

Edit: Has anyone taken on both Maneaters at the same time, on a a NG+, using melee and won? Without any second chance or warding bullshit?
I did it my first time through, which I know doesn't mean much. I actually don't understand why everyone had so much trouble with them, honestly. Guess I'm just too good at the game :smug:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My Tower Of Latria still isn't PWWT and it's bloody frustrating. I'm about to go and kill the Old Monk, and if it isn't pure white after this, then I'm gonna be pissed.

Edit: wtf, my old monk black phantom was bullshit. Some guy using a spear or some poo poo that wasn't anywhere near hitting me, yet still taking away my stamina/health.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 18, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Smelly posted:

spoilered in case you don't want the advice.

If you feel up to it, there's a blessed mace in 5-1that will help you kill the skeletons in world 4. Remember, since they're skeletons piercing and slashing doesn't do much to them.

I went, found that mace, then got the plague from some rats and had a giant birdmanzombie beat me to death with a club.

I'm seriously wondering why it is that I like this game so much.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I went, found that mace, then got the plague from some rats and had a giant birdmanzombie beat me to death with a club.

I'm seriously wondering why it is that I like this game so much.

Yeah, that's how you get welcomed in 5-1.

5-2 isn't any better.

Some of the coolest parts in terms of environment though.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Leyburn posted:

Yes and its terrible. I did it with my first NG+ build and it essentially comes down to a whole lot of "Oh my god that was so close". It's not fun. It's just awful.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Leyburn posted:

I'm about to go and kill the Old Monk, and if it isn't pure white after this, then I'm gonna be pissed.

Finally managed to free Rydell and got a brand new (entirely useless) ring for my troubles. I'm almost certain the only ring I need to get now is the Foes Ring. I dunno if I can stand to kill Yuria and co for it though :(.

Seriously, what's the point in a ring that increases defence at less than 30% health? Seems completely retarded.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leyburn posted:

Finally managed to free Rydell and got a brand new (entirely useless) ring for my troubles. I'm almost certain the only ring I need to get now is the Foes Ring. I dunno if I can stand to kill Yuria and co for it though :(.

Seriously, what's the point in a ring that increases defence at less than 30% health? Seems completely retarded.

What you do is make a build that has like 80 vitality at level 120, then wear the clever and dull rat's rings, cast warding, put the morion blade in your left hand and then weild something with high base damage not dependent on your stats (your stats are going to be kinda bad because you spend it all on vitality). Good weapons for this are the Dragon Bone Smasher, the Northern Regalia, and a Dragon Mirdan Hammer or Moon Mirdan Hammer or whatever. Now you can take two or three shots before dying and do an absurd amount of damage per blow.

These are refered to as "vitality gouged hypermode" builds.

I'm a nerd.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't take the wait so I started a new character, knight and going for a faith build for pvp. Sheep-goats, I summon thee to recommend me stuff! I want something overpowered to make other people cry in pvp. I am not going to restart or do soul level drains or whatever. I'm ok with being sl 130, it's still within The Range of 120.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

redreader posted:

I couldn't take the wait so I started a new character, knight and going for a faith build for pvp. Sheep-goats, I summon thee to recommend me stuff! I want something overpowered to make other people cry in pvp. I am not going to restart or do soul level drains or whatever. I'm ok with being sl 130, it's still within The Range of 120.

Sounds to me like you want the standard Blessed Mirdan Hammer build since it's among the most broken in the game!

J
Jun 10, 2001

I've never thought about this before since when DS was new, my internet connection was fine at the time. But now my connection is kind of lovely and intermittently goes out for 15-20 seconds at a time before coming back up. I'm looking ahead a bit to dark souls which I am assuming will be using a similar type of online system. Do messages and bloodstains come back when your connection comes back online? Do you have to sign back into anything, and can that be done from within a level or do you have to go back to the nexus?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

(This will be at sl124 if you don't delevel. Big woop. Any extra levels should go into vitality but stay near the 120 range so you don't have to wait all day to get a fight)

I recommend the Blessed Great Axe and Claymore combination for PvP. The great axe is a mainstay and you should rely on the standard two handed R1 > R1 > R1 combo a lot more than most people do because it does a ridiculous 500 damage per hit, has great stunlock (often you will land all three blows if you hit with the first one right), and all swings have hyperarmor. Got a katana fag crowing you after a backstab? Don't roll away, just start spamming R1 and watch his Second Chance go away. The rolling R1 is great too -- it's the only melee build I've used to kill a pair of jumpers with legitimately.

The weakness of the Great Axe is against people who are good at backstabs since all of its attacks have a non-trivial amount of recovery time to them. This is why you have the Claymore, which is the strongest anti-backstab weapon in the game thanks to its giant arc and lighting quick attacks. Often people with Northern Regalia are proficient backstabbers (estoc is the other one to watch out for) and the claymore totally outclasses the NR and you'll only lose a claymore vs. NR fight out of carelessness or from very creative play from the foe.

Mages are helpless against faith builds. Your huge magic damage combined with high magic resistance will leave them trying to score with a few one-shot tricks basically.

And, of course, you can just go Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5 and spam R1 all day but that's boring and gay.

Oh, most people think Adjudicator is the right thing to put on your back with a Faith build but they're wrong. Put the Morion Blade back there. HP regen isn't worth a poo poo in the modern era of huge burst damage PvP, so the occasional damage bump from Morion is of more value than a trickle of HP (especially since you already have a trickle coming in from your weapon).

Some people use the Guillotine Axe as their secondary for its sick stunlocking two handed R1 combo. It's range is poo poo though, I don't really like it.

Overall I feel that Blessed Great Axe + Blessed Claymore is the strongest legit sl120 pvp build (non-legit builds are hypermode firespray, running firestorm (lol), any polearm or a cursed Dragon Bone Smasher).

If you want the ultimate :qq: build, however, and aren't looking to just troll (acid cloud + tower shield + scraping spear) then the most invincible build is the Vitality Gouged Dragon Bone Smasher build, using curse weapon:

Unfortunately fights are totally mindless with a DBS. You curse it, then charge your foe two handed and use the R1 attack to do the big sweep move. This often hits them even if they roll correctly because of the way the sweep is animated. If you knock them down you charge at them and try to catch them with a sweep as they stand again. If you don't they probably rolled way far away and so you just charge them again. They can only really beat you by staying close after you miss a charge and wearing your down but in that case you can always sneak in a backstab which will do sick damage with a cursed DBS anyway.

What's their reward for overcoming this mindless and nearly impenetrable offense? 71 vitality to have to chew through.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 20, 2011

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think I've made the worst character possible.

My main weapon is the Dozer Axe, which makes me need the Ring of Great Strength, so the only other ring I have is the much needed Cling Ring.

At level 89 I'm spec'd all across the board:
Vitality: 30
Intelligence: 14
Endurance: 32
Strength: 31
Dexterity: 24
Magic: 12
Faith 19
Luck: 7

In NG+ In PVP and PVE I'm slaughtered because I'm way too slow and somehow squishy despite being a Knight in Gloom armor. Should I just keep grinding the first half of 4-1 and level my vitality?

Note to self, do not play Dark Souls while high, you'll gently caress up your character build.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well your main problem is that you're using the Dozer Axe which sucks rear end. Your build actually looks like it would be decent for using a Meat Cleaver. That way all the excess Dex and Faith you have won't go to waste. I'd suggest raising your End to 40, and then dump points into Vit till about 50. Possibly raise your Int a few points to get access to Cursed weapon, or you could stick with Light weapon I guess, but its less optimal. Try taking off that heavy armor too. You'll have much more mobility wearing light armor, and you'll hardly notice a difference in the damage you take. All in all definitely a salvageable build.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks for the advice! Of course the one soul I need for the Meat Cleaver is the one I don't have (Swollen Demon's Soul). Funny, that's 4-1, what I've been banging my head against all night. I'll try ditching the armor so I can free up a ring slot.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Okay, I'm approaching the end of my strength guy I started a while back. He’s SL100, and I have a few things left on my checklist to do...
  • Finish my NG+ World 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 4-2, 4-3 then 1-4. None of this should be too bad, except the Giant Depraved ones. I’m hoping that 4-2 shouldn’t be too bad with my DSS + 4.
  • Blacken all my worlds and get to SL120 & then colourless souls.
  • Get my character tendency to black and get my Foe’s Ring (and accompanying trophy I hope).
Then I should be just about done, with a decent PvP character to show for it at the end. 4-1 is the best hangout for PvP yeah? I take it the guys at SL120 don’t gently caress about?

I’m toying with the idea of trying one more character, since I’m fairly confident I can stroll through most of the game now. On all my playthroughs so far I have used the cling ring and thief’s ring, swords, light armour & shields and so I’m considering trying something different. Any ideas? Something involving heavy armour and a big loving axe perhaps? What other rings are worthwhile?

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 20, 2011

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

J posted:

I've never thought about this before since when DS was new, my internet connection was fine at the time. But now my connection is kind of lovely and intermittently goes out for 15-20 seconds at a time before coming back up. I'm looking ahead a bit to dark souls which I am assuming will be using a similar type of online system. Do messages and bloodstains come back when your connection comes back online? Do you have to sign back into anything, and can that be done from within a level or do you have to go back to the nexus?

I've had my internet go out while playing Demon's Souls, its the most frustrating thing ever. The game kicks you to the start menu.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

pixaal posted:

I've had my internet go out while playing Demon's Souls, its the most frustrating thing ever. The game kicks you to the start menu.

That's happened to me once, about a month ago. Of course, it was right after (3-2 spoiler) I'd killed Maneater #1. It's the only time I've managed to take even one of them down.. I was frustrated enough that after a few more tries, I put the game down. So I'm still halfway through the game and haven't beaten it yet.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I feel kinda bad that Maneater never really gave me much trouble. I think I died twice to him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started a new character last night (all my old characters are forever lost in the shiny grave that is my old PS3) and getting invaded is a joke now. Im just running around with no gear and everyone that invades me clearly has PVP builds and 1 of 2 things happen.

1. I get loving destroyed
2. They think I am some complete newb and decide to kill everything in the level before they get dropped. I know you are trying to help guys but I can do it myself thanks.

Oldstench posted:

I feel kinda bad that Maneater never really gave me much trouble. I think I died twice to him.

On my first run I died so many times that it drove my world to pure black and I could never even beat him with multiple Blues. I eventually had my caster friend cheese him with gods wrath so I could get on with the game. I think he went down pretty easily on my second run though.

I always kind of felt that way about Flamelurker though. He never gave me that much trouble.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 21, 2011

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oldstench posted:

I only died to him the first time I ran into him, I almost killed the 2nd one then bullshit happened and I got knocked off :smith: haven't died since. He's really easy if you take it slow well after raping the first one to 25% because gently caress hitting the timer and fighting 2 at full health

e: flame lurker was a real bitch for me, I took him on early, I think the 4th or 5th boss I did. I still had base vit (what was I thinking) so he could one shot me. I spent a good 6 or so hours trying to kill him before doing it. I can now do him flawlessly and never get hit. Really the entire game became cake after that.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 21, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The only two three fights I ever had problems with were Old King Doran (holy gently caress that fight), the False King and the Old Monk.

I think it's pretty self evident why the Old King is hard as balls to anyone who beat him without cheesing but gently caress. Not only does he; hit hard, hit fast and attack aggressively. He also took next to no damage from my spells or Crescent Moon Axe +5 so the battle was long and there were loads of opportunities for gently caress ups.

The False King was made much more difficult for me by the fact that I was using a pretty slow weapon, and It took me 4 or 5 deaths before I decided I had to up my vitality to stand a chance.

The Old Monk is super super easy if you do it offline, but the black phantoms that were summoned for me were all (except for the last one) very good PVP build players. I think the first three used Meat Cleavers, the fourth one was a pure mage who caught me with a firestorm and the last one was a DBS build which I had no problem with.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I guess I should be ashamed that I had to cheese the Old King, but I'm not. gently caress that guy.

I'd like to see a video of someone going toe to toe with him without resorting to bullshit tactics.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Leyburn posted:

I guess I should be ashamed that I had to cheese the Old King, but I'm not. gently caress that guy.

I'd like to see a video of someone going toe to toe with him without resorting to bullshit tactics.

If by old king you mean the boss of 1-4, I recently watched a lvl 1 run of the old king, it basically came down to dodging like gently caress, rolling forward at exactly the right time and not doing much damage very quickly. If you meant Doran, then ignore what I just wrote

I've just picked up my previously incomplete file, got 1-3,1-4,3-2,3-3,5-2,5-3 to do still, been hunting around a bit for various stones for upgrading. Should I just wait until NG+ to do all that poo poo or will i benefit upgrading some weapons to max right away. For reference i'm an SL73 thief using a dagger +9 sharpstone, crescent falchion+4, spiked shield and silver catalyst (because i'm a pussy). I just got the white bow too.

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 21, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Leyburn posted:

Define "bullshit tactics". I went toe to toe with him just fine, and so did Squint under less ideal circumstances than me. What are you having difficulties with, specifically? I think someone can help.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

If by old king you mean the boss of 1-4, I recently watched a lvl 1 run of the old king, it basically came down to dodging like gently caress, rolling forward at exactly the right time and not doing much damage very quickly. If you meant Doran, then ignore what I just wrote

I've just picked up my previously incomplete file, got 1-3,1-4,3-2,3-3,5-2,5-3 to do still, been hunting around a bit for various stones for upgrading. Should I just wait until NG+ to do all that poo poo or will i benefit upgrading some weapons to max right away. For reference i'm an SL73 thief using a dagger +9 sharpstone, crescent falchion+4, spiked shield and silver catalyst (because i'm a pussy). I just got the white bow too.

Old King Doran is the dude in the ancient blue armor that you can only access after getting the Mausoleum Key from Ostrava before fighting Allant (the guy you're thinking of.)

And yeah, bullshit tactics needs to be more clarified. I went toe-to-toe with him with the only "bullshit" thing being a blessed sword that I used to heal up between the occasional dodge gently caress ups so he couldn't two-shot me. Given I was probably over-leveled from that runthrough though as it was my first runthrough and I spent a lot of time farming poo poo.

I'm trying to do a runthrough with no shield and wearing full armor but I can't even get past the tower knight fight. I'm too slow to move in and out. Even if I get him to shield drop to go for his legs he tends to do the stupid backstep that drags his shield back over where I'm fighting him. It's really annoying. I probably shouldn't be doing this at like soul level 10 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The False King is a loving pussycat compared to Old King Doran.

Bullshit tactics = Knocking him off a cliff with Storm Ruler, eroding his health with Poison Cloud or any other poo poo that means you avoid actually having to fight him. He's difficult because, You can hardly do any damage at all, he is super aggressive, he heals and he can kill you in one or two hits.

And I'm not having trouble, I have no intention of fighting him fairly, because as I stated before. gently caress that guy!

• Locked thread