Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Boo This Man posted:

Have fun trying to find a server with more than a handful of people.

And of those servers, they will all be instagib low gravity.

I miss the good ol' days of Unreal Tournament (UT99.) Now that was a deathmatch game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I long for those kind of shooters again as well. UT2004 was great but hardly anyone plays those games anymore and the only games that kinda come close that people still play are the Left 4 Dead games. I'm hoping the new Serious Sam game can give us some good old school FPS fun.

I also saw a trailer for Rage while I was watching TV earlier and that game is looking more loving awesome by the moment.:pcgaming::fh:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

HotCanadianChick posted:

Cover based games are old hat, play Space Marine instead.

Actually play Vanquish instead (if it was on PC :sigh: )

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I love how people just throw around "lovely port" whenever it's a game they don't like. Gears of War is easily the best console port of any game I have ever played, by a long shot.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
At least the PC version had an extra chapter which made the story make slightly more sense.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

kuddles posted:

I love how people just throw around "lovely port" whenever it's a game they don't like. Gears of War is easily the best console port of any game I have ever played, by a long shot.

Best console port for me is Assassin's Creed Botherhood. That thing runs like a dream on great settings on a fairly average PC. I am always blown away with it every time I play it on my friends laptop. Forgetting whether the game is any good, just going on the amazing port quality.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The only time I really think of ports as being lovely is if they skimp on the graphics options, lock the framerate or refuse to let you remap the controls. Quantum of Solace, for example, is pretty fun, but the graphics options are massively limited and there's no way to get it over 30 FPS. I've got a sodding quad core with a 560Ti, don't make me run it at 30 FPS when I should be able to easily get 60 with vsync on.

And yeah, the AC games are really well ported. Space Marine's well done too. Deus Ex is mostly well done, but for the baffling insistance on keeping pre-rendered low res movies in for cutscenes instead of doing them in engine.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Epic has always just been inferior.

Seriously? Unreal Tournament '99 was awesome fun, and Bulletstorm (despite having a script made entirely from profanity) was good fun too.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

Seconded, Gears of War was a good port.

If you want to see a bad console port, try the newest Alice: Madness Returns. It even has mouse control, and by mouse control they mean it uses mouse to emulate the analog stick on a pad. :suicide:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Fil5000 posted:

Seriously? Unreal Tournament '99 was awesome fun, and Bulletstorm (despite having a script made entirely from profanity) was good fun too.

UT was almost 12 years ago, it's been completely downhill since then. I'm also offended that you included UT and Bulletstorm in the same sentence. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

What's actually wrong with Bulletstorm, from a gameplay standpoint?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kuddles posted:

Maybe it was patched up but at release it had a ton of issues so when people say it was a bad port, that's the kind of thing they mean. I don't recall how customizable it was in terms of options either but I remember people being unhappy with that too.

quote:

What's actually wrong with Bulletstorm, from a gameplay standpoint?

That game was dying for a jump key. I don't know, it wasn't a bad game or anything, far from it. It just felt like two different games that were at odds with each other, the game that wanted to be a cover shooter and the game that wanted to be a bombastic over the top fast shooter like Painkiller. I never really got comfortable with the controls despite a fair amount of play time either.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wait, does Bulletstorm have some kind of context-sensitive control scheme or can you literally not jump in an FPS in the year 2011? :psyduck:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wait, does Bulletstorm have some kind of context-sensitive control scheme or can you literally not jump in an FPS in the year 2011? :psyduck:

It's context-sensitive in that there are points in the levels where you need to press a button to climb over something, but you can't vault over every object and there's no regular jump. I didn't have a problem with Bulletstorm and thought it was great, but then again I played it with a controller so maybe it was weird with KB+M?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Any shooter without a jump just feels really weird to me. Maybe the game is perfectly fine without the ability to hop around but my brain can't accept it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, that is odd. I played the demo for that game and didn't remember you couldn't jump. I supposed it's alright in a single player game that's crafted for it though. Plenty of third person shooters do it just fine. Is there at least a dodge move?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Play Kill Switch, then play Gears, see what kind of sense the Gears hype makes to you then. Especially play Gears co-op because that's a big part of the experience.

coop? stop assuming I have friends!!

notZaar posted:

Hmm, that is odd. I played the demo for that game and didn't remember you couldn't jump. I supposed it's alright in a single player game that's crafted for it though. Plenty of third person shooters do it just fine. Is there at least a dodge move?

You can sprint, a short distance. Does that count?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

notZaar posted:

There's a sprint, and you double tap it to slide.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

notZaar posted:

I've not actually played it for a good long while, so I can't recall if it does or not. The lack of a jump FEELS weird, but it doesn't really impede the flow. I honestly didn't feel like it was trying to be a cover shooter either, it seemed to reward barrelling towards your opponents, kicking them, hurling them around with the whip thing, etc. The only bit I remember finding annoying was the "STAND ON THIS MOVING VEHICLE AND SHOOT THE OTHER VEHICLES WITH THIS TURRET" bit.

Bought it at full price and don't regret it at all.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Category Fun! posted:

It's context-sensitive in that there are points in the levels where you need to press a button to climb over something, but you can't vault over every object and there's no regular jump. I didn't have a problem with Bulletstorm and thought it was great, but then again I played it with a controller so maybe it was weird with KB+M?

The weird part comes in when you hit the button to jump over an obstacle and nothing happens because you were slightly too far to the left or right of the designated jump animation zone. I loved the game for what it was, but it had plenty of annoying little moments like that.

e: The most annoying being the lovely checkpoint system wherein I had to restart an entire level twice because the AI teammates got stuck somewhere, and due to the completely linear paths the game's scripting wouldn't progress without them being around to open a door for you or something. Since the game doesn't save checkpoints often enough & doesn't keep enough old checkpoint saves, there was no checkpoint I could restore to that would fix the problem.

e2: That said, I'd still recommend the game unconditionally to any of my friends.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 21, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

That was the odd part about Bulletstorm to me. It seemed like they couldn't make up their mind for how environmental traversal was supposed to go. There is just enough stuff laying around to "take cover" in but doing so breaks up your run and gun locomotion which is the best part of the game. Taking cover just felt off in that game, I would have preferred they put in a jump key and let me just slide/jump around like a maniac instead.

I didn't dislike Bulletstorm or anything, it just felt like a designed by committee game that needed more single minded direction. To me its the poster boy for $20/DD Sale.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone got any experience with Logitech mice?

Just bought a G400 to replace my MX518, since the mousewheel stopped working, and I don't know enough about mice to fix it. And now, a month or so after I got this thing, its having some major issues, mainly that every few minutes or so, it'll just drop connection to my PC, then reconnect a second later with a loud beeping noise. And I can't for the life of me figure out whats causing it.

Did some digging online, and found it was a common issue with the G500 brand of mice, hoping its not a common issue with the G400 brand as well, because if it is, wonderful, I wonder if I can get Logitech to fix up my MX518 as well. Just wondering if any goons had this issue, and knew how to fix it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I liked Bulletstorm and didn't actually miss the jump button. It's not like it felt it was missing. I think one big missed opportunity was giving you a new game + option. They give you the ability to replay any level you want, but they still lock you out of any upgrades you didn't get storywise. Playing through Act I again with all the skills and weapons would have been great.

The Gunslinger posted:

Maybe it was patched up but at release it had a ton of issues so when people say it was a bad port, that's the kind of thing they mean. I don't recall how customizable it was in terms of options either but I remember people being unhappy with that too.
The only issue I heard consistently were during the first few days of release and involved random stuttering issues and problems connecting online. While that was annoying, all of that had to do with the GFW Live client as other games on GFWL that released in that period had identical issues.

Meanwhile:
- People Can Fly went back to the source and replaced practically every single texture in the game so that it was a higher quality. They basically rebuilt the game from scratch.
- Instead of using the videos for the console version as almost every other port would do, they recreated almost every cinematic using these improved assets to run in-engine.
- You could use the keyboard or controller at any point in the game, and the game would instantly know you made the change and even immediately change on-screen prompts.

It just baffles me when the game I thought got the most astounding attention to detail gets pointed out as an example of a lousy port. That said, I didn't actually enjoy the gameplay that much. (Although I did enjoy the campaign in the sequel for some reason.)

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 21, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious, why do so many games do checkpoint saves but not give you the option to manually save? I'm playing through Crysis (4 years behind the times) and it saves at checkpoints, but I can also manually save. Compare that to a more recent game, such as Bulletstorm (which I haven't played but from reading this thread sounds like you can't save anywhere) which seems like a big step backwards to me. Is there any reason why besides ~*consoles*~

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm really curious, why do so many games do checkpoint saves but not give you the option to manually save? I'm playing through Crysis (4 years behind the times) and it saves at checkpoints, but I can also manually save. Compare that to a more recent game, such as Bulletstorm (which I haven't played but from reading this thread sounds like you can't save anywhere) which seems like a big step backwards to me. Is there any reason why besides ~*consoles*~

I think it's a holdover from pre-hard drive consoles as a rule, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that in some cases it's a deliberate design decision to try and get away from people savescumming their way through things. It SHOULD be a good thing, as if someone had playtested, say, HalfLife's jumping puzzles without the ability to quicksave whenever you'd made one of the jumps, we might have had something less annoying than what we got. A game that has nothing but checkpoints SHOULD play differently to one that has them - if you port a game that's balanced around checkpoint saves to PC and throw anytime saves in there then it could easily wind up being a ton easier.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does it really matter if it makes the game easier? It's not like you HAVE to abuse saves. I think this is just an ingrained holdover mentality from the arcade days - that you have to earn your progress in a game. I think it's stupid. Can you imagine if a DVD you bought didn't let you "unlock" scenes until you'd seen them in their entirety at least once on your player?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Hey, I'm not arguing it's a GOOD design decision, just that it might be why they're doing it. And that if you're doing extensive playtesting and you note that your players are using quicksaves to make a part of the game trivial, then you'll probably make it harder.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Rookersh posted:

Anyone got any experience with Logitech mice?

Just bought a G400 to replace my MX518, since the mousewheel stopped working, and I don't know enough about mice to fix it. And now, a month or so after I got this thing, its having some major issues, mainly that every few minutes or so, it'll just drop connection to my PC, then reconnect a second later with a loud beeping noise. And I can't for the life of me figure out whats causing it.

Did some digging online, and found it was a common issue with the G500 brand of mice, hoping its not a common issue with the G400 brand as well, because if it is, wonderful, I wonder if I can get Logitech to fix up my MX518 as well. Just wondering if any goons had this issue, and knew how to fix it.

Logitech has amazing customer support. Call them, tell them your problem and they'll send you a new mouse if its under warranty (even if its not, sometimes they do in my experience).

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I don't mind checkpoint systems if they're implemented properly. It's just the fact that half the time that isn't the case.

And yeah, it's certainly a design decision and/or an arbitrary way to increase game length at this point. Consoles can handle random saves just fine and many games even do it. I mean, hell, even a lot of DS RPGs have quicksave slots.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

That was the odd part about Bulletstorm to me. It seemed like they couldn't make up their mind for how environmental traversal was supposed to go. There is just enough stuff laying around to "take cover" in but doing so breaks up your run and gun locomotion which is the best part of the game. Taking cover just felt off in that game, I would have preferred they put in a jump key and let me just slide/jump around like a maniac instead.

I didn't dislike Bulletstorm or anything, it just felt like a designed by committee game that needed more single minded direction. To me its the poster boy for $20/DD Sale.

The most disappointing thing about Bulletstorm, to me, was that they built it up as a throwback FPS all about runnin' and gunnin' around a crazy world with the added bonus of Skillshots and bullet-time whip/kick. The whole "Duty Calls" promo really tries to hammer this home, mocking the corridor/leash map layouts, expository dialouge encounters, and regenerative health/cover system, as if Bulletstorm will be an escape from it. Instead it features all of it.

That being said, I still really enjoyed Bulletstorm because the Skillshots and using the whip/kick were a lot of fun. It's main flaw is the aborting of the co-op mode. Co-op Bulletstorm would have been the best Bulletstorm.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

KFCB posted:

The most disappointing thing about Bulletstorm, to me, was that they built it up as a throwback FPS all about runnin' and gunnin' around a crazy world with the added bonus of Skillshots and bullet-time whip/kick. The whole "Duty Calls" promo really tries to hammer this home, mocking the corridor/leash map layouts, expository dialouge encounters, and regenerative health/cover system, as if Bulletstorm will be an escape from it. Instead it features all of it.

That being said, I still really enjoyed Bulletstorm because the Skillshots and using the whip/kick were a lot of fun. It's main flaw is the aborting of the co-op mode. Co-op Bulletstorm would have been the best Bulletstorm.

At least Duty Calls had a goddamn jump button even if it was useless. Other than that tho, I agree with you. The game was nothing like what it was billed to be and that's probably the thing that disappointed me the most. I wanted a zany over the top action game that's a throwback to the good ole days just with modern tech etc. The game just didn't feel like it was put together by the same team. One team wanted to go crazy, the others wanted to be very rigid because that's what is expected these days, which I suspect is half the reason there's knee high walls all over to cover yourself with, except if you are covering and shooting, you are doing it wrong. I'll probably go back and beat it at some point because I really enjoyed some of the set pieces, and skillshots, are pretty fun, abet rather limited (I'd love a 'cunning stunt bonus' equivalent for skillshots that don't fall into the 'list').

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, I'm not arguing it's a GOOD design decision, just that it might be why they're doing it. And that if you're doing extensive playtesting and you note that your players are using quicksaves to make a part of the game trivial, then you'll probably make it harder.

Uhhh, wouldn't that tell the developers that the part in question is either too hard or too drat boring/annoying/lovely?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

VDay posted:

monocle, smoking pipe, and PC Master Race tophat

Holy poo poo, are these available in a set somewhere? Because if they are, I need them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhhh, wouldn't that tell the developers that the part in question is either too hard or too drat boring/annoying/lovely?

Yeah. If they're dying a lot, why would that mean make it HARDER?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

kuddles posted:

It just baffles me when the game I thought got the most astounding attention to detail gets pointed out as an example of a lousy port.

Bulletstorm has mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing turned on by default. The default FOV was 85, which is a bit low for some people. The config files are encrypted, leaving you no way to fix these problems. When people went to the trouble of decrypting the files to make these fixes themselves, the developers just bitched about it on twitter.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Maxwell Adams posted:

Bulletstorm has mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing turned on by default. The default FOV was 85, which is a bit low for some people. The config files are encrypted, leaving you no way to fix these problems. When people went to the trouble of decrypting the files to make these fixes themselves, the developers just bitched about it on twitter.

Wow, that's... childish. Tiresomely so.

"Hey, if we'd meant you to change those things we would have put it in the options menus, you RAPIST."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

He was talking about Gears of War, though, not Bulletstorm.

And in all honesty, a default FOV of 85 is better than most ports, not that that defends anything else (or calling config editing "rape").

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

KFCB posted:

He was talking about Gears of War, though, not Bulletstorm.

And in all honesty, a default FOV of 85 is better than most ports, not that that defends anything else (or calling config editing "rape").

I don't mind the FOV issue so much, but it's dumb as hell to force mouse smoothing. I guess if your goal is to make press videos look more fluid it can do that, but goddamn does it make controlling the game frustrating.

First thing I did when I got Bulletstorm was run the decrypter/encrypter tool to fix that error.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Oddly enough, I've been playing through Gears of War on PC. I wanted to do the whole 'play through the previous games due to impending sequel' thing and decided that I wanted to give the PC version a shot. Once it's patched up and ready to go, it really is an impressive port. Although while getting the patches I read about some really ugly issues, like showstopper bugs/crashes, saves getting deleted, saves not even working at all, etc. Seems these were fixed fairly quickly though. It sucks that I'm impressed that a game does PC aiming right from a console port, that should at least be a minimum for PC games, but GearsPC really does have excellent mouse controls.

Cool thing about Games for Windows integration is that if you've played it on the xbox, the achievements aren't already unlocked, you can actually double up on the achievements you've earned in the console version. I mean, I'm not gonna go out of my way to get games I've played that have these achievements on PC, but it's a nice bonus.

Btw, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the game look better beyond the in game settings. It seems there's a fairly drastic level of detail dropoff in distance textures that is a lot easier to notice when you have 1080p resolution and 16xAF. Anyone know if there's some lod setting I can fiddle with?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone else find this hysterically funny? Make a game about being a hardcore badass way too cool to play by the rules, and then sort of scoff at people wanting to personalize the settings. "Sacré bleu, that does not mesh with our artistic vision of this piece, RAPIST"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KFCB posted:

Well said, a friend of mine made similar comments after release because I had linked him that Duty Calls thing as a joke. He bought Bulletstorm and sent me a series of Steam messages, each one increasing in his annoyance factor as he discovered that the game had mocked other games but then copied their features/tropes anyway.

• Locked thread