Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
id like to just brag for a second and mention that on my wall, in a neat row, are three framed pictures: john delancie, brent spiner, and jonathan frakes

each one signed and dedicated to my irl name

this is a real series of items that i really have in my home in real life that i spent money and time acquiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

my fave story is how much he wanted to edit the last star trek movie made before he died and instead of going along with his insane cuts they just waited for him to die v:shobon:v

nick meyer claims he had some pretty intense arguments with roddenberry about changes, yeah, but they showed the finished movie to him about a day or two before he died.

he claimed at the time he liked it, but then later his rabid attack lawyer maizlish popped up and said "actually, he hated it, and wanted at least fifteen minutes cut from it" but by then no fucks were given. also, the "tell you what you want to hear to your face, then get nasty in the memos" pattern was classic roddenberry. a two-faced shithead to the very last.

he was also super-paranoid about having TNG taken away from him, he was afraid that he'd get kicked out of production like he was with the trek films.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

Kirk posted:

id like to just brag for a second and mention that on my wall, in a neat row, are three framed pictures: john delancie, brent spiner, and jonathan frakes

this is a real series of items that i really have in my home in real life that i spent money and time acquiring

bank gonna take em

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

InferiorWang posted:

remember the dianetics ads from the 80s with the erupting volcano?

obi-wan cuts off xenu's arms and legs and leaves him for dead but he survives

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

you can never calla nyone a nerd ever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that awful man posted:

obi-wan cuts off xenu's arms and legs and leaves him for dead but he survives
no elron came up with that cover after a painful gonorrhea experience

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

qirex posted:

no elron came up with that cover after a painful gonorrhea experience

you better believe his penis gets burnt off by the lava

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

little prosthetic dong

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
.....kirk :negative:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey let's talk about good shows like stargate

Stargate owns

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
thanks kirk i unironically enjoyed reading all that borgchat :tipshat:

z0rabelle dearfart
Sep 13, 2011

Kirk posted:

all those posts lost... like... tears... in the rain

time to autoban

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

early SG-1 and SGU owns, the rest is lame as hell

fixed that for you

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

you can never calla nyone a nerd ever

really

thats why??

that was the straw that broke the torrasques back???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FEMA summer camp posted:

fixed that for you
sgu sucked

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Kirk posted:

really

thats why??

that was the straw that broke the torrasques back???

Vorpal straw

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
snicker thbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

reallyprettymad posted:

Vorpal straw

interestingly the torrasque cannot be killed by vorpal weapons, as beheading it has no effect. i think it just automatically regens a head. the only way to kill a torrasque is to cast wish or something.

inigo monz0rya
Sep 23, 2011

golgo13sf posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ok my joke spawned a serious discussion, whatever

actually I probably shouldn't be surprised because this same discussion was probably started on usenet in 1989

Kirk posted:

interestingly the torrasque cannot be killed by vorpal weapons, as beheading it has no effect. i think it just automatically regens a head. the only way to kill a torrasque is to cast wish or something.

slice it in half and get two of them

Kirk posted:

not even by the main laser, the regular turbolasers would tear the borg ship apart - despite their ability to adapt to various phasers frequencies and what have you, the sheer amount of energy output from turbolasers compared to phasers or disruptors would simply overpower whatever shielding the borg could generate

I don't feel like confirming my memory but I remember reading something about the output of a standard star destroyer's heavy turbolaser being something like sixty billion gigawatts which makes it sound like "OK WE NEED A BIG NUMBER FOR A BIG GUN, HOW ABOUT A BILLION loving WATTS? NO A BILLION loving GIGAWATTS"

Kirk posted:

in a deleted scene in the movie Independence Day, we learn that most of mankinds modern computational technology advancements actually came from reverse engineering the alien starship that crashed in Nevada in the 1950s

motorola 68020 came from aliens

Kirk posted:

a big questions is if the borg will continue to function efficiently despite the fact that they are cut off from the larger collective, and there are probably only 40-50 of them remaining once the cube is destroyed. some borg collectives like this that have been cut off in the past simply break down. addt'l they would have no contact with the "queen", but i believe that we're all talking about classic borg vs first contact/voyager borg

you're assuming star trek and star wars are set in different universes

haveblue posted:

obi-wan was able to utterly defeat death star security with nothing more than the ability to make human guards not see him. the borg would loving destroy it

the destruction of the empire only happened because he was able to get to the big humming thing with the lever on it

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

atomicthumbs posted:

the destruction of the empire only happened because he was able to get to the big humming thing with the lever on it

The shields for the door to the hangar containing the Falcon?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cylon Dinner Party posted:

Whatever the thing was he went around on and pulled on the other thing and it went "nreeooow" and then a stormtrooper walked by and he put it back and then he did it again

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

now I remember, it was the midichlorian dispenser

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Kirk posted:

this is actually a common misconception - in a deleted scene in the movie Independence Day, we learn that most of mankinds modern computational technology advancements actually came from reverse engineering the alien starship that crashed in Nevada in the 1950s, thus that's why the laptop used by one of the main characters was able to connect to the alien mothership, and why the virus that they used was nominally compatible with the alien operating system.

this has been bugging me all day, it doesn't make any sense

like even when you describe endianness to CS kids it's the kind of thing where rational people will latch onto one or the other and very quickly assume religious-level fervor on that position, so going from reverse engineering a computer to the systems built years later you're bound to introduce some inconsistencies

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Shaggar posted:

sgu sucked

YOU sucked!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

you're assuming star trek and star wars are set in different universes

even if they weren't, individual groups of borg have been cut off from the collective by mere distance before

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Me a borg me assimilate very nace!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the idea that we need aliens to tell us how to make build machines to let us remotely masturbate at each other is a little offensive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sgu blew because it took away everything good about stargate (campy adventure and comic relief) and tried to turn it into a dark and serious bsg lite.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember reading ringworld, that was a pretty good book i think?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yes it was, although people will fight you over whether the others were worth reading.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also i remember one by whoever wrote ringworld (larry niven? idk) that posited that humans were actually aliens and that our species needed the fruit of some kind of weird tree to actually mature past the adolescent stage and then some space dude finds this tree and transforms into the adult form of humans and some other stuff happens and he flies a big spaceship full of stuff to earth and probably some other stuff happens i cant remember, i was like 12 when i read it, it seemed neat at the time.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Cylon Dinner Party posted:

Tractor beam control

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yep, those are the ringworld books.

imo the first two are worth rereading. the third i recall being a chore but it's been a while, and there's a fourth i haven't gotten to yet.

inigo monz0rya
Sep 23, 2011

yo im reading the george RRRRR martin thrones books and they are pretty good even tho peopl esaid they sucked i still wanted to read them bcuz the first season on hbo was p good and im on the second book clash of kings and it's p good ok welp cya that's my reading story

:tipshat:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cool, thx!

inigo monz0rya
Sep 23, 2011

:tipshat:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

also i remember one by whoever wrote ringworld (larry niven? idk) that posited that humans were actually aliens and that our species needed the fruit of some kind of weird tree to actually mature past the adolescent stage and then some space dude finds this tree and transforms into the adult form of humans and some other stuff happens and he flies a big spaceship full of stuff to earth and probably some other stuff happens i cant remember, i was like 12 when i read it, it seemed neat at the time.

You forgot the birth-control-via-interspecies-sex thing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

You forgot the birth-control-via-interspecies-sex thing.

??

i guess i - thankfully - did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rishathra

That and the sunflowers are the only thing I remember of Ringworld.

The only thing I remember of Rocheworld is the utility bush and the life extension drugs that temporarily induce a retarded child level intelligence with a hyperactive libido.

The only thing I remember from Foundation are the hand full of anti-social hermaphrodites living on Earth.

Basically what I'm saying is that 1970s scifi was written by perverts.

edit: Also, Heinlein.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 24, 2011

• Locked thread