Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My sl one character killed the old king with a crescent estoc +5 by rolling behind for backstabs. He swings, you roll into the swing to get behind him, you backstab. Then you reposition so when he gets up to come after you he'll walk into a backstabable area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Ok, Penetrator down, fairly easy though I imagine he'd be a nightmare for melee classes. Did the fog door trick on maneater because i'm a pansy then fell off the battlement fighting the second one. Might give 5-2 another try before giving up and just trophy grinding stones for a bit until i feel up to the masochism once again.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just killed the Tower Knight, finally. Smashing his head in was enormously satisfying.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well I FINALLY beat the maneater brothers. :byewhore:

I was playing as a heavily armored knight, but I basically took of everything except a rogue vest I found. I just dodged like crazy and healed everytime I got hit. Somehow I got a little lucky and killed the first guy shortly after his brother shows up.

Once you knock one of, then it's actually reasonable.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I killed my NG+ Old Hero, Storm King & Leechmonger yesterday with not much trouble. Although I lost around 45000 souls on 4-2 due to having a bit of trouble with the skeletons on the cliff edge, mostly caused by my own impatience.

Before heading to bed I tried an invasion on 4-1 and found some guy with his blue phantom buddy. I started fighting the blue phantom and it wasn't going very well. But then I caught him with his guard down and hammered him with 2 handed attacks till my stamina was gone, managing to get his health down to almost nothing, at which point the human host backstabs me, giving his buddy a chance to heal.

So I go at it again, wailing away on his shield till his guard breaks and get a good few hits in before my stamina is drained and the bloody host backstabs me again, finishing me off this time.

Boo!

Edit: The Leechmonger is such a joke he doesn't even give off enough souls to let me level up.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 22, 2011

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Edit: The Leechmonger is such a joke he doesn't even give off enough souls to let me level up.

The harder the level, the easier the boss, for some reason. 5-1, 5-2, 4-1 and 4-2 were all difficult levels with gimmick bosses.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Well I just realized somethinG dumb I must've done a very long time ago when I first got the game.

Discarded my Cling Ring :suicide: :suicide:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well I just realized somethinG dumb I must've done a very long time ago when I first got the game.

Discarded my Cling Ring :suicide: :suicide:

Be a man and go for body form! That makes every loss mean something because your levels will get harder and harder.....

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just posted on Atlus' facebook page:

"The True Demon's Souls starts here: ATLUS to extend online server support into 2012. See what all the awards and buzz are all about, and for only $19.99."

:dance:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Just posted on Atlus' facebook page:

"The True Demon's Souls starts here: ATLUS to extend online server support into 2012. See what all the awards and buzz are all about, and for only $19.99."

:dance:

excellent!

Been playing in anticipation of Dark Souls.

Got three chars, but mostly been using a Hunter and a Royal. Any good builds for a decent warrior mage for the royal and what would make the Hunter more effective as a quick melee char? Figure I'll go mage cheese with the royal and actually try and learn to play with the Hunter.

Also I'm curious, if I got the maso. key in 1-1 does that particular npc not show up? I saved him before but got killed before I could complete the area. When i got back he retardly jumped off and got killed by a large knight.

QQmore fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 22, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Well, after FINALLY finishing off Maneater, 3-3 was disappointingly short. Internet is bad here so I did it offline and took off three quarters of the Old Monk's life with two consecutive backstabs.

5-2 is ruining my life right now, getting past the first island of giant depraved ones and up the platform, I now keep falling off the high ledges. Is there actually an efficient method for fighting the Giant Depraved Ones?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

QQmore posted:

Also I'm curious, if I got the maso. key in 1-1 does that particular npc not show up? I saved him before but got killed before I could complete the area. When i got back he retardly jumped off and got killed by a large knight.

Yeah, if he dies and drops his key, he won't show up again in later levels. He keeps needing to be saved every level, but I don't remember him giving you anything particularly rare or unique after the first time. If you do the assassination quests with a pure black character tendency, you get a relatively rare item for assassinating him, but there's another way to get that item every playthough.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, if he dies and drops his key, he won't show up again in later levels. He keeps needing to be saved every level, but I don't remember him giving you anything particularly rare or unique after the first time. If you do the assassination quests with a pure black character tendency, you get a relatively rare item for assassinating him, but there's another way to get that item every playthough.

welp. On the bright side, that was with the Hunter, royal he should still be alive.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Polite Tim posted:

Well, after FINALLY finishing off Maneater, 3-3 was disappointingly short. Internet is bad here so I did it offline and took off three quarters of the Old Monk's life with two consecutive backstabs.

5-2 is ruining my life right now, getting past the first island of giant depraved ones and up the platform, I now keep falling off the high ledges. Is there actually an efficient method for fighting the Giant Depraved Ones?

x-3 (apart from 1-3) is normally just a variant of a large boss room, not really a full level. Often they have non-boss bad guys in them too, but it's not a slog ever, like x-1 and x-2.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just finally hit the boss demon of 3-1. Seeing a huge ball of zombies with tiny arms waving knives around just made me burst out laughing. All that spooky atmosphere, for that thing?

It did kill me pretty good, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a foolish pianist posted:

I just finally hit the boss demon of 3-1. Seeing a huge ball of zombies with tiny arms waving knives around just made me burst out laughing. All that spooky atmosphere, for that thing?

Haha that ain't the boss that's just another foe. You're about halfway through.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The real demon's souls starts here (P.much why sheep said)

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I decided to load up DS and mess about with a new character a bit in preparation for dark souls, and I managed to kill Vanguard during the tutorial for the first time ever. It's amazing how much life this game has in it, even after finishing the game a few times it's still hard to put it down.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Oh my god this is precious :3:

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Chachi posted:

Oh my god this is precious :3:

To be fair, that creature is a bit more imposing than the actual boss. The actual boss seems bored with the whole fight.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Went back and you guys were right. The actual boss is kinda disappointing after the zomboball, though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Went back and you guys were right. The actual boss is kinda disappointing after the zomboball, though.

Have fun with the 3-2 boss :hfive:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can someone explain to me how to kill the 4-2 boss? :( I heard he was weak to poison, so I threw a bunch of Kunai at him, but they only did like, 6 damage each.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Capsaicin posted:

Can someone explain to me how to kill the 4-2 boss? :( I heard he was weak to poison, so I threw a bunch of Kunai at him, but they only did like, 6 damage each.

Don't run, slowly walk to the other side and you'll find a broken staircase. Hide behind there and shoot him with arrows but make sure not to shoot when he's close. He's blind so use that to your advantage but keep in mind that he's not deaf.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Capsaicin posted:

Imagine you were a giant, blind sword weilding demon. A housecat weilding a sharpened butter knife has decided to slay you. What would be the best way for that cat to accomplish that without you getting a lucky shot in?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Capsaicin posted:

You're talking about the giant blind guy, right? You can get in close and fence with him for a very difficult and intense fight that'll end with your bloody death after even a slight misstep, or you can take the easy route, which capitalizes on the fact that he is blind. Basically, you hit him once or twice, and then run away from him. He'll swing around and roar, but if you're not nearby when he does so, he'll go right back to pacing around and searching. Every once in a while he might appear to pursue you for a moment, or let out a random shot-in-the-dark swing, but if you withdraw rather than aggress, he'll lose track of you again. You can't beat him quickly with these hit and run tactics, so stay patient. Being in soul form makes you a bit sneakier and makes it harder for him to find you, wearing the thief's ring or casting Cloak makes it a Lot harder for him to find you.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pandanaut posted:

Don't run, slowly walk to the other side and you'll find a broken staircase. Hide behind there and shoot him with arrows but make sure not to shoot when he's close. He's blind so use that to your advantage but keep in mind that he's not deaf.

Don't take this route if you can help it, he's not a hard fight once you figure out how to work on the fact that he's blind.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Smelly posted:

Don't take this route if you can help it, he's not a hard fight once you figure out how to work on the fact that he's blind.

There is no shame in that route if you don't have the firepower to take him on in melee. :colbert:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
That's why I said if you can help it. :)

He really isn't a hard fight though, first time I saw him I thought I was up for some big rear end slug fest. Turns out I was in for some tendon cutting action.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You hit him and he roars- apparently if you hit him after he starts roaring, he WILL detect you wherever you are and try to cut your face off. So the trick is to get in one or two quick hits and then stop. If you sneak around he probably won't find you.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I can't wait for you to fight the boss of 3-2 :allears:.
You'd better post about it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Read posted:

I can't wait for you to fight the boss of 3-2 :allears:.
You'd better post about it.

Seconding this. We are living through you, here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redreader posted:

Seconding this. We are living through you, here.

I will agree with this, anything that sounds like we are making fun of you, we aren't. We are reliving our past with the game. Everyone went through the hell, not all of us posted about it, but we understand what are you going through, and its awesome to relive the glory days.

e: have you killed flame lurker yet? (2-2)

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
Alright, so I'm on my first time through this, and I want to finish it before Dark Souls comes out. I just have 5-2, 5-3 and 1-4 left, and I'm not doing well on any of them. I can get to Allant in 1-4, and then he destroys me. Any tips?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cakeequals posted:

Alright, so I'm on my first time through this, and I want to finish it before Dark Souls comes out. I just have 5-2, 5-3 and 1-4 left, and I'm not doing well on any of them. I can get to Allant in 1-4, and then he destroys me. Any tips?

Treat him as the final boss, do everything else first. Also learn his patterns (After 5-1 5-2)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Cakeequals posted:

When he starts charging up for his big AoE attack, run up and hit him once (he recovers quickly and hitting more than once is asking for a face full of sword). Most of the rest of his attacks are varieties of dashing and leaping lunges- you just need to learn the timing for these and roll out of the way. Of course, if you have the slow roll from heavy equipment, rolling might not be so effective there. You can block his little sonic booms, but they're weak and easy to avoid anyway. You can't count on stunning him, so you can usually only get a hit or two in at a time, which can make the battle take a while (especially if your weapon damage is mostly magical, like mine- he's resistant to magic damage).

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Schwartzcough posted:

which can make the battle take a while (especially if your weapon damage is mostly magical, like mine- he's resistant to magic damage).
I've been using the Meat Cleaver lately. Would it help if I switched to the DBS for this fight?

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

redreader posted:

Treat him as the final boss, do everything else first. Also learn his patterns (After 5-1 5-2)

5-1 can be shortened significantly and the boss is really easy. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnE-Yfs103M for the shortcut. He uses a slow strategy for the nest though, the best trick is to roll immediately when you hit the ground (cuts out the landing animation). Safer and faster. The thing in 5-2 is to wear a thief's ring and regenerative equipment. Walk through the swamp carefully and avoid as many of the giant trolls as possible. Do not engage if you can avoid it. Nearly all enemies in world five are weak to fire.

Also, for those of you who aren't reading the thread yet: Dark Souls is looking amazing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

pixaal posted:

I will agree with this, anything that sounds like we are making fun of you, we aren't. We are reliving our past with the game. Everyone went through the hell, not all of us posted about it, but we understand what are you going through, and its awesome to relive the glory days.

e: have you killed flame lurker yet? (2-2)

I've only killed Phalanx and the Tower Knight and whatever Zombie Ball's boss, whatever her name is, so far. I'll probably get some more time in later today. Any advice on what I should do next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

I've only killed Phalanx and the Tower Knight and whatever Zombie Ball's boss, whatever her name is, so far. I'll probably get some more time in later today. Any advice on what I should do next?

Decide on a character build. When levelling up and using a melee build, make sure you spend sufficient points on vitality and endurance.
If you want souls and levels, get the blessed mace from 5-1, using the shortcut mentioned above. Then, make sure you have a decent shield (heater, for instance) and have a crack at 4-1. Lots of souls there and the boss soul gets you the meat cleaver, one of the best weapons around. Make sure you get the crescent falchion from 4-1, which is one of the best weapons early on.
Alternatively, using the (upgraded?) winged spear from 1-2, have stab at 2-1 and try to kill the Armoured Spider. You can also open the route to the better blacksmith in that level. Be aware that you'll need something that does magic damage against the boss of 2-2. Purple Flame shield comes highly recommended for these two levels, but you need relatively high strength to be able to use that, which will almost certainly set you on the path for a strength build.

Sumadartson fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 24, 2011

• Locked thread