Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeti taken. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

Kobold: Astus (Unconfirmed, awaiting revision - if no revision is made, I will be accepting another Kobold entry)

I have revised my Kobold build.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
An update!

Gremlin: TheWhaler (Confirmed)
Dark Gnome: Krysmphoenix (Confirmed)
Kobold: Astus (Confirmed)
Strangler: AJ_Impy (Confirmed)
Serpent Man: PublicOpinion (Confirmed)
Soldier Ant Woman: Anchors (Confirmed)
Dwarf: Ramc (Confirmed)
Elf: Bene Elim (Confirmed)
Goblin: <UNCLAIMED>
Human: Brick Moses (Confirmed)
Molemarian: Silverminnow (Confirmed)
Werewolf: Locomotive breath (Confirmed)
Tigerman: <UNCLAIMED>
Minotaur: Hooplah (Confirmed)
Troll: KezzKezzan (Confirmed)
Yeti: ZeeToo (Confirmed)

I'm going to leave the entry deadline open for a while longer, if anyone wants to submit a build for the unclaimed classes, please do so immediately! Again, my email is <my username> @gmail.com

If these classes remain unclaimed, I will likely be submitting my own bot-builds to compete so if you want the glory, get cracking down on those fancy character builds!

You have until I get bored and want to run some fights, likely later tonight :)

VladTheEater fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 25, 2011

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
What the hell. Let's gnome this up. Sending you an e-mail shortly.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
The dark gnome's a little over budget, I think, I've written you back. Confirmed, though.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Only Goblin and Tigerman left! I'm going to be running this very soon so you'd better get crackin'!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Sent a Molemarian in, hopefully not too late!

fake edit: Holy crap you updated that post fast!

Also a preemptive thanks for running this, the more fights in this thread the better in my opinion.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
:siren:FIFTEEN MINUTES remaining if you want to claim Goblin or Tigerman! :siren:

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Right, then. Fighter registration is now CLOSED. Here are the brackets for the first round!

Next up, Meet the Fighters!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
From lightest to heaviest:

Gremlin:
TheWhaler has brought his gladiator, Oliver, to battle. A swift little orphan living on the streets of Mudfog, he drags around his (comparatively) massive Adamantine Shortsword with both his grubby little hands. Certainly vicious, he's fast enough to be quite the Artful Dodger and dangerous enough to know how to Twist his blade around his opponent's entrails.

Dark Gnome:
Krysmphoenix enters Smurf Miner into the mix! A tiny, shiny blue beast with a real meanstreak, he is decked out in a full set of Adamantine armor (Helm, Mail Shirt, Gauntlets, Greaves, High Boots) and a matching Mining Pick forged of the very same material as his armor, he is certainly looking to PICK a fight.

Kobold:
Astus makes known his warrior to be Sacrifice. A miserable, wretched dog-man if ever there was one, he cowers behind his spear of Adamantine. He appears to have very little confidence that his Adamantine Breastplate will protect him and his eyes keep darting around as though he is searching for a way to escape this horrible death-arena.

Strangler:
AJ_Impy brings us Glen Starr, a peculiar creature wearing only an Oak Cap and Gauntlets. He carries a very dangerous looking Iron Scourge, scraping the ground as he goes.

Serpent Man:
PublicOpinion releases Fightin' Bitin' Wrassler into the wild. Well-armored in his Leather Cap, Steel Gauntlets, with Adamantine Mail Shirt, Helm and High Boot, he can't wait to sink his teeth into his opponent. Literally, of course.

Soldier Ant Woman:
Anchors knows it's the time of the month to bring Ant Flow back. Covered in a Copper Cap, Gauntlets and Low Boots as well as an absurd FOUR Copper Shields, she aims to make her foe bleed for days.

Dwarf:
Ramc brings us Tantrum Spiral. His only pre-match remark is that all of his friends have been really unhappy lately and it's starting to get to him. He heads to battle in his Steel Helm and Mail Shirt, dragging a Silver Warhammer slowly through the dirt behind him.

Elf:
Bene Elim enters Robert the Spruce. A Scottish-Elf warrior donning Bronze Mail Shirt, High Boots, Gauntlets and Greaves plus a Steel Helm to top it off. He also sports a very sexy sheep wool skirt and carries a Steel Two-handed Sword off to battle.

Goblin:
<REDACTED>

Human:
Brick Moses has searched through the ranks of humanity to find possibly the most expendable entrant imaginable, Everypony. He wears a pair of Steel Horseshoes and a cloth pony costume. He appears to be practicing his kicks but to be truthful, it seems very likely that the only thing he's going to kick is the bucket.

Molemarian:
Silverminnow brings us Moletariat, a creature so low-class that it has to live underground just to break even. Armed with a Platinum Warhammer and an Oak Shield, he looks to turn his experience in the working class into working his opponent over!

Werewolf:
Locomotive Breath chugs a brewskie and brings us Broseidon, King of the Brocean, dude! He carries a large Steel Two-handed Sword in one hand and an Oak Shield in the other. Armored mostly in Copper (Greaves, Low Boots, Gauntlets, Breastplate, Cap) he changes it up slightly with a Steel Mail Shirt and an Iron Helmet. He assures us that he can't be arrested, his dad owns a dealership.

Tigerman:
<ERROR>

Minotaur:
Hooplah unlocks the stables to unleash Mad Cow, a frothing lunatic of a bullman. He wields a massive Platinum Warhammer in a single hand. The arena lights sparkle off his Copper Leggings. Looking around angrily for something to smash into paste, he snorts and paces frantically.

Troll:
KezzKezzan delivers Bridge. Hefting a massive Adamantine Battleaxe over his shoulder, he slowly trods to the arena. He also carries an Oak Shield that upon closer inspection appears to be merely a section torn from an actual bridge. His Iron Mail Shirt and Helm appear to be smeared with goatsblood and he peers into the arena with a gruff expression on his face.

Yeti:
ZeeToo enters the goliath, YETI. Hailing from Parts Unknown, he menaces with Pick of copper. His matching Copper Helm and Mail Shirt offer him mild protection. YETI comes to prove that you don't need a name to bring the pain.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Looks like there's a pretty decent spread of weapons in this one. I am freaking out over possibly facing a Troll with an adamantine battleaxe though, good god.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Fights will take place tomorrow once I'm home from work! Good night for now, folks, and enjoy your gladiator roster!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The biting thing was a lot more attractive before I realized that 3rd round points means everyone is armored everywhere. Though the Bro is only wearing low boots, so maybe Wrassler can bite him in the shins...

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I forgot to name my gladiator. :saddowns:

YETI works, I suppose.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm surprised no one went for ranged weaponry, 3rd round points make for a very accurate archer.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Anchors posted:

I'm surprised no one went for ranged weaponry, 3rd round points make for a very accurate archer.

Funny you should mention that... *cough*

:siren: GOBLIN vs YETI :siren:

YETI is the first to enter the ring against his heretofore unknown Goblin opponent. A crude Goblin Automaton, G0/B0T clanks into position clutching a steel crossbow. YETI will need to close the distance quickly without sustaining too much injury in order to have a chance here!

The battle begins and the first bolt flies, striking YETI firmly in the hand. He roars in pain but charges onward!

Another bolt flies... and misses! The steel bolt shatters harmlessly against the arena wall.

Pictured above, one incoming Yetiload of pain

With YETI so close, it's a race to reload... surely any smaller opponent would have already reached G0/B0T but as the behemoth YETI lumbers onwards, a third shot is fired from nearly point-blank range, striking YETI in the leg and managing to tear a tendon!... which would be extremely beneficial if the yeti were not already standing right in front of his target.

*THUCK*

YETI slices hard down into G0/B0T's arm with such force that the pick becomes lodged right through it! Certainly a terrible sign for G0/B0T, this could all be over in just a moment...

YETI twists the pick, pulling on G0/B0T as he roars and charges his much smaller foe.

Then, shockingly, YETI slams into the arena wall instead of the goblin! Somehow, with a pick stuck all the way through its arm, G0/B0T has managed to dodge the charge! The impact against the stone wall sends cracks down its length and YETI falls to the ground for a moment, stunned from the impact!

G0/B0T was once a Matador, it seems

It won't be long before YETI is back to fight, though. G0/B0T may only have a single shot left before being torn asunder!

The shot rings true, striking YETI in the leg again. Certainly, not the vital hit required to keep the yeti down.

The yeti slowly rises to his feet... and crashes back down to the arena floor a moment later. One final bolt has found true aim and pierced through the copper armor and straight through YETI's kidney, causing the beast to collapse in pain!

From there, G0/B0T transforms his opponent into a pincushion. YETI manages to wake up and feebly fight back but the fight is already over. YETI suffocates from a punctured lung a moment later and G0/B0T advances!

Note: G0/B0T didn't have a single point in Dodge, so to avoid that charge was INCREDIBLY lucky! I thought G0/B0T was doomed the instant that second bolt missed. Well fought, ZeeToo!

Log: http://pastebin.com/AMgakWJy

VladTheEater fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2011

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I was concerned about fighting a Troll, then I realized that his adamantine battle axe is wicked expensive, and trolls do not get a lot of points. And he bought armor. And a shield.

(Did Tantrum Spiral mention that one of his best friends was killed by a troll recently? This fortress is just wearing on him, I swear)

[Edit:] That said, I'm sure I'll get one-shotted off the bat due to dice, probable 8 rank difference in weapon skill or no.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
First fight posted! More to come when I'm home from work in ~10 hours!

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
So is it just me, or has the Arena Challenge website been hacked?

If it has been, then hopefully there was a back-up of everything. :ohdear:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yikes, you're right, Zarah. That's worrying enough to take the sting out of my goofy loss.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wait, what? How on earth did we get a scene group to attack that?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
The bastards much just hate inventive fun and games shared with internet buddies. :argh:

Either that or it's some sore loser or other...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, they said they hacked the server, not the site specifically. The site just happened to be on the server they targeted.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ah, I tried to log in to that again yesterday, was wondering why it didn't have my info already. poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Ah, poo poo. I hope everything isn't lost

I guess Jazzimus will let us know soon enough.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

Ah, poo poo. I hope everything isn't lost

I guess Jazzimus will let us know soon enough.

poo poo. :argh: Everything is backed up, but I'll need to have a word with the hosting company.

edit2: Nothing is lost, like PureRok said.

edit3: I've restored the pages on the site, I'll continue to check to see if anything else went wrong. Let me know if you still see anything wrong.

The service provider I use was hacked, and it affected a large number of their customers. Some more info from the hosting provider:

--

Dear Customer,

At around 4am EST, our system administration team identified a website defacement attack affecting a large number of customers. We are still investigating, but it appears that files named index.php have been defaced.

We are evaluating how this has occurred and our security team will have more information shortly.

While we review this issue, cPanel and SSH access has been disabled on various platforms. For additional security, we are rotating passwords on a number of accounts. We will honor requests for password resets as they are needed but are attempting to limit the inconvenience to our customers as we're able. FTP is still operational should you wish to access your files at this time and correct any issues you see yourself. We will be working diligently to make cPanel access available again as soon as possible.

If there is a defacement on your account, please know that our Systems team is working to get your site back online. If your index.php was modified, they will be restoring it from the most recent backup and no further action is necessary on your part. At this time, we do not have a definitive timeframe for resolution, but we will update this page as we gather more information.

We do apologize for this issue, let us know as you have further questions, we'll be glad to answer them as we're able. Please understand it will take our security team some time to review this issue before we can have a full explanation available.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 25, 2011

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
"http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/" works properly for me now, though just going to arenachallenge.com throws up this error:
code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '>' in /home/arenac5/public_html/index.php on line 1

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

PublicOpinion posted:

"http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/" works properly for me now, though just going to arenachallenge.com throws up this error:
code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '>' in /home/arenac5/public_html/index.php on line 1

Yeah, I fat-fingered a PHP tag. :downs: Fixed now.

edit: Further investigation shows the database was not hit, just the index.php in each directory.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 25, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yeah, I fat-fingered a PHP tag. :downs: Fixed now.

edit: Further investigation shows the database was not hit, just the index.php in each directory.

Great news! Looks like we can get back to the action on Monday, as planned. :)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

Great news! Looks like we can get back to the action on Monday, as planned. :)

Apparently that TIGER-M@TE guy got 700,000 sites this morning, all of them on that one hosting provider. :psyduck:

I might have to reconsider the hosting provider I'm using. :sigh:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
These things happen - according to that article, the guy got one of Google's sites at one point. I'd want to be convinced they were taking measures to prevent it happening again, though.

If you do want to move, I'm sure there'd be a home for you on goondorfs.net?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

G0/B0T was once a Matador, it seems
This was absolutely beautiful. I've always hoped I could get a ranged gladiator to pull this off, even in testing but it happens so rarely.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maugrim posted:

If you do want to move, I'm sure there'd be a home for you on goondorfs.net?

Yeah, of course: any goon DF-related project is welcome. I can't promise we'd actually be any safer, though, really, and I doubt this is even remotely close to a normal occurrence. ;)

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Wow, I'm kind of sad I missed all that excitement. Glad the site is okay!

TROLL vs DWARF

Bridge squares off against Tantrum Spiral, a real showdown of size versus skill.

Tantrum Spiral mutters to himself about how a troll killed his best friend once and slams his war hammer into Bridge's spleen.

Bridge takes the hit well, charging forward to rush down his much tinier foe. It misses and Tantrum Spiral lands an ineffective hit. A second charge proves to be much more fruitful, hacking Tantrum Spiral in the lower leg and shearing it clean off!

Size - 1, Skill - 0

Bridge then charges right through his now-unbalanced opponent and knocks him hard to the ground but is unable to follow up with another deadly blow.

A few dwarves in the spectator seats suddenly scream. One of them punches a dog, the next begins crying and shouting and the third strips off his clothes and flees his seat.

Tantrum Spiral twitches and shouts at the troll towering above him "THAT LEG WAS MY FRIEND!!!"

Landing a few blows in a row, a solid hit is delivered to Bridge's foot, blood spilling across the arena floor and knocking him over!

A big, happy cuddle pile

Tantrum Spiral continues his rampage, first smashing Bridge hard in the leg and causing him to give in to pain. A few blows to the head later and Bridge is out.

Don't worry, though, the dog that got punched is okay now

Combat Log: http://pastebin.com/U7rtdWQJ

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Tantrum Spirals really are the best part of Dwarf Fortress :black101:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yesss. Tantrum Spiral v1 in the main tourney had to lose 3 limbs before he went down. One leg? Nothing to worry about. That dwarf ++ toughness is pretty solid.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
GREMLIN vs HUMAN

Everypony clops to the arena and the collective crowd is instantly disgusted. Oliver arrives to cheers and cries of "CUT HIS drat HOOVES OFF" to which he grins and promises to oblige.

Oliver immediately makes good on his promise, skewering his sword into Everypony, shattering a rib.

It seems Everypony is remaining the aggressor, though, chasing Oliver backwards as he leaves a trail of his own blood behind.

The tiny gremlin seems overwhelmed, possibly by Everypony's smell. He is unable to mount another offensive attack as Everypony pursues him around the ring, grappling him and punching him. Eventually, a solid punch to Oliver's head snaps his spine and his sword clatters to the ground.

Everypony seriously has zero skill in wrestling or striking or even fighting, what the hell is this

Oliver eventually suffocates and Everypony somehow wins despite having thrown only a single kick all match. I'm going to be sick.

If this isn't proof that Gremlins are currently useless, I don't know what is

Combat Log: http://pastebin.com/KHtgaUPy

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
...is it too much to ask to see Everypony's build? This just sounds completely insane. :psyduck:

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Krysmphoenix posted:

...is it too much to ask to see Everypony's build? This just sounds completely insane. :psyduck:

Steel Low Boots, 14 Kicking skill, 13 Misc Object Use skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
MINOTAUR vs DARK GNOME

*THUNK*

*CRUNCH*

Combat Log: http://pastebin.com/9UXgwW90

• Locked thread