Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

10-1 odds the big twist is that you, too, are a robot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Shalinor posted:

I was feeling it, right up until... they crouched behind a chest-high wall, in a corridor full of what appeared to be chest high walls. :bang:

Does the world really need another cover-based straight up shooter right now? This looks like Vanquish with a better plot but less interesting gameplay.

Wasn't Vanquish supposed to be a cover shooter but if you were playing it that way you were doing it wrong? I know there's not a bazillion billion missiles exploding here, but I'm hoping the same is somewhat true with BD.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vanquish's plot was everything it needed to be. "DUDE SOVIET RUSSIA JUST NUKED SAN FRANSISCO, GO TO THE BIG SPACE STATION AND BLOW UP THEIR COMMUNIST ROBOTS." Perfect.

Krad posted:

Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:

Hadn't seen gameplay before, doesn't look awful which I guess is meaningful when it comes to shooters from Japan. I'll put up with some middling third-person shooting in exchange for seeing some crazy Snatcher poo poo. That's an exchange that I'm comfortable making.

Policenaut posted:

It's really funny watching the Japanese muddle through their own "obsessed over cover shooters" phase.

Pretty sure it's less about Japan being into shooters and more about Japan being desperate to find someone to buy their games.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Which iteration of Final Fantasy XIII will be the cover shooter

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Dominic White posted:

The million dollar (literally) question: Does the PS3 version have all the DLC built-in? Because that poo poo costs about five times the cost of the base game.

Edit: I'd totally be up for a game-share of the game + all DLC, though!

'Paid downloadable characters Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades plus the Pyramid of Ruin map are included as part of the PS3 version.'

So not all the DLC. I just hope they release a video of how the local co-op would look like in action, I wonder if it would be 4 split screens, dungeon hunter's all 4 players have to move in the same direction or like little big planet's slight zoom out but move away from the screen and you die.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Code Jockey posted:

Which iteration of Final Fantasy XIII will be the cover shooter

Versus 13 is already confirmed to have an over-the-shoulder shooting mechanic so I assume that.

Speaking of that stupid name, I'll bet after the amount of time Square's dumped on making it they'll just rebrand it "Final Fantasy XV" and run with it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of that stupid name, I'll bet after the amount of time Square's dumped on making it they'll just rebrand it "Final Fantasy XV" and run with it.

I'm still waiting for the day the marketing department convinces them to go with The Final Fantasy, obviously followed by The Final Fantasy 2/3/etc like those Final Destination movies.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Renoistic posted:

BTW, Might & Magic is discounted at PSN now, are the changes worth the price or should I just stick to the portable DS version?

You dirty loving liar.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

You dirty loving liar.
That reminded me how much I want to play World of Xeen on my PS3 somehow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That reminded me how much I want to play World of Xeen on my PS3 somehow.

Not on the PS3 but GOG.com has it (MM3-6 actually) for $9.99. I keep a copy installed on my netbook.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ahahah. WKC2 has gone full micropayment-MMO; PSN is now selling 'increases experence/drop rates/gold rates for 30 days!' items. I'm not sure how that even works if you want to buy a second one.

e: Oh, what, I've just noticed they were day 0 releases on the US PSN. If you're going to finally release a game two months ahead of the US, couldn't you at least support it properly? :argh:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 24, 2011

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I never wound up finishing Killzone 2 and never even touched the campaign for Killzone 3 despite preordering both and even getting the super duper edition of 3.

I started playing 2 again today from where I last picked up probably like a year or two ago. This game is loving hard :ohdear:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm starting up inFamous 2, and I was wondering 2 things.

1) Like the first game, is the best way to play it Good/Normal, then Bad/Hard?
2) How worth it is it to get the sniper shot and the stalker grenades DLC?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Go Good/Hard because you get some overpowered ability that allows you to rapid-fire bolts.
Either way, I played Evil/Hard the first time around and didn't have much trouble. It's not a hard game by any means, so you won't need any DLC.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so I've stuck with the multiplayer in Resistance 3 and my conclusion is that the game seriously freakin' owns holy poo poo. It's definitely not for everyone and I'm also somebody who really loves SOCOM 4 as well (so take my opinion as you will :shobon:) but I'm really glad that I bought this game now. Put it this way, I recently got Gears of War 3 and keep going back to play more Resistance instead.

If the rumours are true about Insomniac releasing some kinda horde-ish survival online co-op mode as DLC then GOTY :3:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jamesman posted:

I'm starting up inFamous 2, and I was wondering 2 things.

1) Like the first game, is the best way to play it Good/Normal, then Bad/Hard?
2) How worth it is it to get the sniper shot and the stalker grenades DLC?

1) Other way around, play it as Hard/Normal then Good/Hard. Good gets some crazy powers this time around.

2) No idea

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

GUI posted:

Go Good/Hard because you get some overpowered ability that allows you to rapid-fire bolts.
Either way, I played Evil/Hard the first time around and didn't have much trouble. It's not a hard game by any means, so you won't need any DLC.

Good/Hard it is.

And it's not a matter of NEEDING the powers as it is wondering if they're worth getting. As in, are they fun or useful, or will I end up forgetting they're even there at all like I did with the blades in the first game?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Good/Hard it is.

And it's not a matter of NEEDING the powers as it is wondering if they're worth getting. As in, are they fun or useful, or will I end up forgetting they're even there at all like I did with the blades in the first game?

I don't think I ever really used the sniper bolt at all.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is there any reason for me to not buy the ICO/SOTC HD collection next week? Like, has anyone heard about some awful game ruining flaw?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It's got 33 reviews and has a score of 90/100 on Metacritic

I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. I have my copy pre-ordered.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
As someone who would rather have digital copies than physical discs, is there any hint that these new HD collections are coming to the PSN store, like God of War: Origins did?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A lot of HD Collections seem to be coming to digital and the last two Sony-made ones (both God of Wars) did so I assume they'll drop at some point on the PSN.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Drop update says nothing about PSN download versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. So, nothing's confirmed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ShoogaSlim posted:

I never wound up finishing Killzone 2 and never even touched the campaign for Killzone 3 despite preordering both and even getting the super duper edition of 3.

I started playing 2 again today from where I last picked up probably like a year or two ago. This game is loving hard :ohdear:

The loving final battle of Killzone 2 made me never want to loving play it again. That part had me about ready to hurl my controller through the tv. That being said, the final battle in Killzone 3 was really underwhelming and really out of place.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of HD re-releases, I've been playing RE4 HD, and while the fact that I can play it again is great and all, you can really notice that Capcom didn't give two craps about it. It has the laziest trophies ever, they didn't bother to redraw some of the menu textures, and hell, they didn't bother with any of the in-game textures at all for that matter. Oh, yeah, and the framerate can sometimes drop. Even during some cutscenes. I'm beginning to trust Capcom less and less these days.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

The loving final battle of Killzone 2 made me never want to loving play it again. That part had me about ready to hurl my controller through the tv. That being said, the final battle in Killzone 3 was really underwhelming and really out of place.

Good timing. Yesterday the final battle (which I didn't realize was the final battle) was driving me absolutely insane. I stopped, watched a youtube video on how to go about it all and attempted it again just before and did much better. I didn't even realize that it was the last fight. I guess it's fitting that it was the hardest part of the game but jesus christ. I don't even remember what difficulty I had it on but I have absolutely zero desire to play through again to get more trophies. Still a sweet game, though. And considering I just got Gears 3 this week... Killzone 2 still looks better :cool:

I'll be starting up Killzone 3 tonight. I'm almost tempted to just play through on easy just so I don't have to deal with any monumental headaches along the way so I can just say I beat the drat thing. A friend of mine says 3 is a lot less relentless than 2, though. Your thoughts?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yechezkel posted:

The Drop update says nothing about PSN download versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. So, nothing's confirmed.
I'd probably say give it a week or two. Or a month.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Krad posted:

Speaking of HD re-releases, I've been playing RE4 HD, and while the fact that I can play it again is great and all, you can really notice that Capcom didn't give two craps about it. It has the laziest trophies ever, they didn't bother to redraw some of the menu textures, and hell, they didn't bother with any of the in-game textures at all for that matter. Oh, yeah, and the framerate can sometimes drop. Even during some cutscenes. I'm beginning to trust Capcom less and less these days.
That's sad to hear. I was really hoping this would be a cool re-release, as I've had an itch to play RE4 again for awhile. Ultimately I figured I'd just throw the Wii version in again and I bought Bloodrayne instead.

On that note -- is it just me, or are the trophies (for those who care about that kind of thing) for Bloodrayne kind of insane?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I just got Gears 3 this week... Killzone 2 still looks better :cool:

I'll be starting up Killzone 3 tonight.

Killzone 3 is gonna blow your freakin' tits off, it's an absolutely incredible looking game. Shame the multiplayer isn't as good as KZ2 (primarily due to balance issues) but the tech is quite frankly amazing. They have so many great ideas, weapons, vehicles and gameplay mechanics in the series that I'm confident Killzone 4 will be one of the best shooters of this console generation if Guerilla Games learn from their mistakes(and uh, actually make it).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ShoogaSlim posted:

Good timing. Yesterday the final battle (which I didn't realize was the final battle) was driving me absolutely insane. I stopped, watched a youtube video on how to go about it all and attempted it again just before and did much better. I didn't even realize that it was the last fight. I guess it's fitting that it was the hardest part of the game but jesus christ. I don't even remember what difficulty I had it on but I have absolutely zero desire to play through again to get more trophies. Still a sweet game, though. And considering I just got Gears 3 this week... Killzone 2 still looks better :cool:

I'll be starting up Killzone 3 tonight. I'm almost tempted to just play through on easy just so I don't have to deal with any monumental headaches along the way so I can just say I beat the drat thing. A friend of mine says 3 is a lot less relentless than 2, though. Your thoughts?

3 is quite easy compared to 2. Your teammate can actually revive you and overall there are just less frustrating parts. That being said, the campaign is full of mindless vehicle sections that aren't fun at all.

Although I generally think Killzone is a series that has gotten lucky. I tried to go back and play Killzone 1 and it loving sucks. Its a chore to play and I really want to play as the other characters in it but the beginning sucks so bad that I can't muster up the will to play through it. Killzone 2 would be the best if the controls didn't suck so bad. Killzone 3 had the makings of a good game, but some really bad gameplay decisions marred it. The maps are really bad and can easily result in a team stomping the other into the ground.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I just started Nier, anything I should keep in mind for a first time player?

I see you can buy things for a garden? and there's maps of areas? and I heard you can fish?

Also this game is really fugly at times and in serious need of AA, but perhaps coming off of Killzone 3 isn't the best comparison because that game was gorgeous.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you're not going for a platinum trophy, don't garden at all, and I wouldn't really bother fishing either. Other than that, pretty much just play and enjoy. :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you're not going for a platinum trophy, don't garden at all, and I wouldn't really bother fishing either. Other than that, pretty much just play and enjoy. :)

Okay! I don't really give a poo poo about trophies so that's good to know!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I see you can buy things for a garden? and there's maps of areas? and I heard you can fish?

Also this game is really fugly at times and in serious need of AA, but perhaps coming off of Killzone 3 isn't the best comparison because that game was gorgeous.

The Dark Id made this handy-dandy flowchart for his LP

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

No guts no glory run head on into every sidequest.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MUFFlNS posted:

Killzone 3 is gonna blow your freakin' tits off, it's an absolutely incredible looking game. Shame the multiplayer isn't as good as KZ2 (primarily due to balance issues) but the tech is quite frankly amazing. They have so many great ideas, weapons, vehicles and gameplay mechanics in the series that I'm confident Killzone 4 will be one of the best shooters of this console generation if Guerilla Games learn from their mistakes(and uh, actually make it).

I just played a small section of the beginning and to be honest I am not so thrilled by the graphics like I was with KZ2. I've had KZ3 since launch but only ever played MP, I've always thought the graphics in 3 were too bright and washed out looking. Now that I'm playing the campaign those feelings are just magnified. It's especially noticeable going from 2 to 3 in the matter of minutes and seeing how the exact same scenario looks completely different in both games. As of right now my vote goes for 2 having better graphics. I even prefer the menu layout in 2 to the red overlay of 3. I've also encountered a number of overlapping textures that create that weird effect which always bothers the hell out of me when I notice them, all within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. The lip syncing is also way out of wack. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed going into this game.

blackguy32 posted:

3 is quite easy compared to 2. Your teammate can actually revive you and overall there are just less frustrating parts. That being said, the campaign is full of mindless vehicle sections that aren't fun at all.

Although I generally think Killzone is a series that has gotten lucky. I tried to go back and play Killzone 1 and it loving sucks. Its a chore to play and I really want to play as the other characters in it but the beginning sucks so bad that I can't muster up the will to play through it. Killzone 2 would be the best if the controls didn't suck so bad. Killzone 3 had the makings of a good game, but some really bad gameplay decisions marred it. The maps are really bad and can easily result in a team stomping the other into the ground.

I started 3 on Medium and so far so good. I was happy to discover that I could be revived by my teammate because it was always felt like such horse poo poo to have to run and revive Rico in 2 when he doesn't repay the favor. I already did an Exo section that wasn't very fun at all, I much prefer being on foot.

It's pretty jarring going from the second game to the third not only due to the graphical differences I mentioned above but also because there is an entire new cast of characters on the Helghast side that are absolutely never introduced prior. These guys just came out of the woodwork with no introduction. Visari/Radec was a great duo and they felt ominous. These new guys are already bickering at each other and I just don't know who the gently caress they are so I'm left scratching my head over them. Hopefully they flesh out more as the game progresses.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

ShoogaSlim posted:

A fun KZ2 playthrough is; easy, no hud, no crosshair, and using the knife as much as possible and M4 pistol only, for gun parts. It is amazing how :black101: Sev can be.

3 doesn't let you have that same fun but I had a much more enjoyable experience overall, but it could be because I like easier games. The vehicle sections I thought were really fun, but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The red X on your minimap is your objective marker. Keep an eye on it, especially when doing a certain quest involving fish.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
My copy of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus just shipped. gently caress yes gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mug posted:

My copy of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus just shipped. gently caress yes gently caress yes

Wait that's out?

gently caress.

That's what I get for not reading this thread for like 3 weeks.

• Locked thread