Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Personally, I thought Ester was a robot. I can't really explain why and just now realized that I have no good reason to believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Death Priest posted:

Personally, I thought Ester was a robot. I can't really explain why and just now realized that I have no good reason to believe that.

Hey, I thought she was a robot too!

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I just took 'she looks weird' at face value, because look at that dress.

The_Great_Danish
Mar 26, 2010
I always thought she was supposed to be ugly, and tried to make up for it by wearing a flashy dress.

Also, Is it odd, that I never once got a gold chocobo? I thought the reward you get for it was not worth the effort, since it just takes the fun right out of the game.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Hey, I thought she was a robot too!

Same here. I could swear I once saw a 3d rendering of her with a robotic face, but I have no idea where I would have seen it or if I'm even remembering that correctly.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I just thought she was an ugly poorly rendered model. v:v:v

readingatwork posted:

You have NO idea... :3:
its amazing how meta that line could be taken. I still see people with Sephiroth worshiping stuff in their forum signatures to this day (im guessing dissidia was what made all the new 12 year olds into seph fans, or I just believe that so i don't have to think about the alternative. )

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Concordat posted:

I'm sorry that you're so broken.

Whizbang posted:

Sorry you like a bad game duder.

"What!? You mean to tell me there are people who like something I dislike? This is completely unacceptable! I must mock this person immediately!"

Really, why does every Final Fantasy-related thread eventually spiral into bashing XIII? We get it, a lot of people didn't like the game, you don't have to bring this up at every opportunity. Can't a person mention so much as mention Final Fantasy XIII without someone immediately coming in to share their incredibly unique and interesting opinion of the game's quality?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

"What!? You mean to tell me there are people who like something I dislike? This is completely unacceptable! I must mock this person immediately!"

Really, why does every Final Fantasy-related thread eventually spiral into bashing XIII? We get it, a lot of people didn't like the game, you don't have to bring this up at every opportunity. Can't a person mention so much as mention Final Fantasy XIII without someone immediately coming in to share their incredibly unique and interesting opinion of the game's quality?

It's that way with both VIII and XIII. You can't avoid it, so eventually you kinda stop trying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Can't a person mention so much as mention Final Fantasy XIII without someone immediately coming in to share their incredibly unique and interesting opinion of the game's quality?

Here is my incredibly unique and interesting opinion of the game's quality:

I hit select and left to take a piss. When I came back, the battle had been completed faster and more efficiently than it would've been had I actually been there. This is the problem that arises when a system is specifically and explicitly designed for automation over human input. FF13's battle system--and thereby its core gameplay--is literally, "Can you punch in numbers on a calculator faster than a computer can? No? Welcome to obsolescence :smug:"

That's seriously how I felt playing that game. The element of human input and thought is obsolete in its overall gameplay and map progression. Literally a modified Starcraft 2 AI could play it to completion.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 26, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

I hit select and left to take a piss. When I came back, the battle had been completed faster and more efficiently than it would've been had I actually been there. This is the problem that arises when a system is specifically and explicitly designed for automation over human input. FF13's battle system--and thereby its core gameplay--is literally, "Can you punch in numbers on a calculator faster than a computer can? No? Welcome to obsolescence :smug:"

That's seriously how I felt playing that game. The element of human input and thought is obsolete in its overall gameplay and map progression. Literally a modified Starcraft 2 AI could play it to completion.

I feel like the obsolescence trend started in XII and now Square Enix can't stop the automation.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

The White Dragon posted:

Wait. You can put the game into full auto mode?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I don't recall whether or not that's true, but even if it is it wouldn't work as well as he claims. Not really going to discuss it in depth though as I don't really want to derail this topic any further.

In regards to the previous update: When I last played 7 it was on an emulator and used a keyboard for the controls. It wouldn't register the stamina regen trick, making this mandatory chocobo race actually kind of hard. If the regen trick is intentional then they didn't really test it because it definitely trivializes races. Without it, however, they feel incredibly luck based. So who knows.

Adus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 26, 2011

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I wanted a game to choose the decisions of my characters as well as determine the outcomes of their fights, I'd read a goddamn book.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Adus posted:

In regards to the previous update: When I last played 7 it was on an emulator and used a keyboard for the controls. It wouldn't register the stamina regen trick, making this mandatory chocobo race actually kind of hard. If the regen trick is intentional then they didn't really test it because it definitely trivializes races. Without it, however, they feel incredibly luck based. So who knows.

Wouldn't work or your keyboard just wouldn't accept that many inputs at once?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Perhaps Ester is weird in a way relating to Japanese culture and it's entirely lost to us?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The White Dragon posted:

Are you sure you're not referring to FF12? Because I find it seriously hard to believe that a FF13 battle without input could be won more efficiently than one with input, simply due to the fact that one of your party members would stand there doing nothing for the whole fight. (also due to lack of paradigm shifting)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Of all the FF7 characters to cosplay, why Ester? I mean, cosplaying as minor/obscure characters is a good way to stay original, but come on. I suppose it's better than cosplaying Cait Sith or Red XIII.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Waffleman_ posted:

Of all the FF7 characters to cosplay, why Ester?

Because it's likely to get much more praise/attention from hardcore fans of the game than the umpteenth brunette dressed as Aeris will get; it also shows how big a fan the cosplayer is of the material, being that she knows and appreciates more than the poster children of the game...

would be my assumption.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Of all the FF7 characters to cosplay, why Ester? I mean, cosplaying as minor/obscure characters is a good way to stay original, but come on. I suppose it's better than cosplaying Cait Sith or Red XIII.

According to the Cosplayer in the page I found the image, she wanted to go "oldschool" (presumably because FF7 has changed so much over the time) and felt the main characters would no longer portray that, so she picked an obscure NPC that wasn't reused anywhere else.

Makes sense. Even Johnny has been featured in the EU.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I hope you have some Dio cosplay waiting in the wings...

Not for me, off course.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zenintrude posted:

I hope you have some Dio cosplay waiting in the wings...

Not for me, off course.

I have a feeling some of you skip my updates and go straight to the last image.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elentor posted:

According to the Cosplayer in the page I found the image, she wanted to go "oldschool" (presumably because FF7 has changed so much over the time) and felt the main characters would no longer portray that, so she picked an obscure NPC that wasn't reused anywhere else.

Makes sense. Even Johnny has been featured in the EU.

I would cosplay Hojo. He's only been featured like once in the EU and he was still pretty awesome.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Not for me, off course.

No, way! :v:

Elentor posted:

I have a feeling some of you skip my updates and go straight to the last image.

I really like your stories on the sidelines, like that thing about Esther, so I read all your updates from start to finish. :3:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Gahmah posted:

eh, cause of the grey white color of her arms I thought she was a robot or something.

This was my first thought, too, but the transvestite explanation fits the game and her character model way better.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
For some reason I sort of imagined Ester was.. basically a 'prison lawyer' who was going around trying to reduce sentences for people. Or something; I'm not sure what gave me this prompt but I was 17 at the time.

Nowadays I wonder more if she (if she is even a she) lives in the prison or comes down from G.S. to check on things, because I can't imagine someone wearing that and surviving for more than three seconds on the Road Warrior set down there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TKMobile posted:

Nowadays I wonder more if she (if she is even a she) lives in the prison or comes down from G.S. to check on things, because I can't imagine someone wearing that and surviving for more than three seconds on the Road Warrior set down there.

Pretty sure her real occupation is Chocobo Jockey Agent. Her other clients include such fine fellows as Chocobo Joe.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Whizbang posted:

Sorry you like a bad game duder.

I played the PC version of FF7 on a vastly underpowered old Dell back when it firsy came out and the trippy visuals on the Chocobo Track always brought that computer to its knees.

I'm pretty sure it's not just your old computer.

That thing brought the crappy engine they were running it in to its knees. Even on the real console, even in an emulator, the game lags to hell and back in certain parts of the race. The long race is particularly horrible.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xaiter posted:

That thing brought the crappy engine they were running it in to its knees. Even on the real console, even in an emulator, the game lags to hell and back in certain parts of the race. The long race is particularly horrible.

I seem to recall it being less laggy when using a better chocobo. As in, no slowdown with Black or Gold or maybe even a great chocobo? On the other hand I might just be remembering it wrong. v:shobon:v

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Xaiter posted:

If you're talking about the space and underwater areas of the race, that's not lag. Chocobos just go slower through those areas unless they're of the right color (blue for underwater and black [I think] for space). A gold chocobo, of course, will run at full speed regardless of environment.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I wasn't talking about the space/water areas. Green/blue chocobos move normal in each environment accordingly, I think. I might be making poo poo up, but I swear Joe moves at normal space in those areas on Teioh, and he'd ruin so many races in the final stretch because of it.

I was referring to the glacier section where they moved up and down in the long course, where I swear the framerate would chug. Or the last bend before the straight away into the space section on the short course.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Xaiter posted:

I might be making poo poo up, but I swear Joe moves at normal space in those areas on Teioh, and he'd ruin so many races in the final stretch because of it.

Teioh is black, so it runs at normal speed through those areas like a combination of the green and blue chocobos. That's why it's pretty much impossible to beat Joe until you've got a black chocobo of your own.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Nidoking posted:

Teioh is black, so it runs at normal speed through those areas like a combination of the green and blue chocobos. That's why it's pretty much impossible to beat Joe until you've got a black chocobo of your own.

:aaaaa:

Suddenly it all makes sense.

That said, I did beat Teioh a bunch of times with sub-optimal chocobos. The best way to do it is just plant your rear end right in front of Teioh and prevent him from getting in front of you. It's a little bit of a pain in the rear end to do it for the entire race, but it's an effective strategy and you don't have to risk running out of stamina early in the race.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Esther have a normal human face and clothes? I only saw her with half a black face and parts of her clothes in different colors. I figured she is some cyborg with that outfit.

I did beat Teioh with a regular chocobo the same way. I was lucky he didn't manage that charge through the gravity section.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I have never not held down R1+R2 during a race. Not even once to see if I could do it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Joe is a cheating motherfucker. I can only beat him if I constantly cut him off and never let him pass me.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't know why she would be a cyborg, there's been no cyborgs anywhere in the game (or the EU apart from that stupid one in DoC with one eye permanently shut). I think transvestite is far more likely given the game's track record.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Cicadalek posted:

I don't know why she would be a cyborg, there's been no cyborgs anywhere in the game

Barrett and Dyne are/were cyborgs :ssh:

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
I remember the first time I raced chocobos I thought it was the most amazing thing. I packed up my ps1 and took it to my friend jim's house and we stayed up all night racing/breeding chocobos. By the end of it we had a black one that could beat every race without the holding the shoulder buttons, and a gold one that we took all over the world map. Discovered KoTR before I found it in the strategy guide...

Sigh...

Good times...

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm perplexed at all these Esther speculations. Am I seriously the only person who simply thought that she was normal and that a single guy just happened to think "she looks funny"?

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Esther

• Locked thread