Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone in one of the other Fallout threads asked if it was possible to kill Ulysses before he raises the missile and turns around near the end of Lonesome Road.

I can confirm that it's possible, but I had to jack up the critical chance as high as I could and used stealth. I used Christine's sniper rifle, marked Beast face helmet, and True Police Stories magazine, which all increases critical chance levels. I also used hollow point .308, a stealth boy, one shot of Steady, and some drugs to increase strength.

Crouch down, stay hidden, and walk to the middle of the walkway. 2 to 3 shots in VATS, and he's down before he starts up his helper ED-Es.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Somehow (don't ask, I have no goddamn idea how or why this happened) my left-click in FNV has gotten rebound to "walk forward" so it performs the same function as the W key. But I can't rebind left-click to fire in settings in-game because it doesn't seem as if it ever should have been rebindable to begin with. Is there a console command or something I can do to fix this?

Nevermind, I'm a loving dimwit who missed the "device" option when rebinding. Sorry, and thanks anyway.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 26, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Fallout 3 was a great game, deserving of most of it's praise and it does do a few things better than Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas. It's also not as good as those games on some points, and even Fallout Tactics have some things it does better.

The way I see it, Fallout 3 took a look at the traveling you did in Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics and gave that travel personality and variation. It's the core strength that Bethesda as a studio has.

New Vegas doesn't do this as well as Fallout 3 did. It's more hub-based, where you travel between hubs but the roads have some interesting intersections, sure, but it doesn't feel as open as Fallout 3.

It comes down to what you prefer and I understand how most goons would like the Obsidian path of making a more interesting story and focus on characters. It makes for a more compelling memory than "these flowers by the road were nice" that was the Fallout 3 experience. People often draw lines to the main plot of the games to compare them to each other, but I feel that is a fallacy, because people who say they appreciate Fallout 3's plot, were distracted by the keys dangled in front of their faces and lost view of the overarching story and depth to which context and causality takes place.

They are confusing story with experience. Obsidian are just better at storytelling than they[Bethesda] are.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Yechezkel posted:

Someone in one of the other Fallout threads asked if it was possible to kill Ulysses before he raises the missile and turns around near the end of Lonesome Road.

I can confirm that it's possible, but I had to jack up the critical chance as high as I could and used stealth. I used Christine's sniper rifle, marked Beast face helmet, and True Police Stories magazine, which all increases critical chance levels. I also used hollow point .308, a stealth boy, one shot of Steady, and some drugs to increase strength.

Crouch down, stay hidden, and walk to the middle of the walkway. 2 to 3 shots in VATS, and he's down before he starts up his helper ED-Es.

Does this actually affect anything? Or does the game continue like normal afterwards?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So does anyone know why New Vegas crashes the moment I press 'Play Game' in the launcher? One day it was working perfectly, the next - after I completed it with the Mr House ending - it wasn't. I've reinstalled twice and have no mods, so this is really annoying. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Did you try again immediately after? Usually it crashes right away the first time I try, but works the second.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, about six times in fact - with varying amounts of the DLC data files enabled. It's a bizarre thing and the official forums are just telling me my system isn't suitable for the game, despite running it up on max settings up until this point. :argh:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hey Dead Man Posting, you might want to warn the readers that the "What is Fallout: New Vegas?" section reveals quite a bit about the plot (i.e. everything).

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

poptart_fairy posted:

So does anyone know why New Vegas crashes the moment I press 'Play Game' in the launcher? One day it was working perfectly, the next - after I completed it with the Mr House ending - it wasn't. I've reinstalled twice and have no mods, so this is really annoying. :(

Let me tell you about how I launch FNW:

• Launch through game list
  • Immediately crashes
  • Go to it's entry -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
  • Steam retrieves one single tiny file (It's 808 bytes every time)
  • Relaunch
  • Immediately crashes
  • Launch again
  • It either works now or if it crashes again this time I have to verify it again.

I have no idea why this happens, but when it crashes try verifying the game cache in Steam and then trying again a couple times and repeat.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Smol posted:

Hey Dead Man Posting, you might want to warn the readers that the "What is Fallout: New Vegas?" section reveals quite a bit about the plot (i.e. everything).

The last two paragraphs are a bit excessive. You could cut it off before there and it'd be a good set up to the history.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xik posted:

I have no idea why this happens, but when it crashes try verifying the game cache in Steam and then trying again a couple times and repeat.

Done repeatedly. Still nothing. Windows is telling me it's an issue with NVegas'exe but I've replaced that file umpteen times. It's just...argh. If there was something I'd done to the game I could understand why, but I haven't so I can't.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Done repeatedly. Still nothing. Windows is telling me it's an issue with NVegas'exe but I've replaced that file umpteen times. It's just...argh. If there was something I'd done to the game I could understand why, but I haven't so I can't.

Sounds like the only thing left to do is a clean install. Just copy your saves into a new folder, delete it from steam and then delete the folder that held the save-games to reset the ini file when you redownload it and put the save-games back in the appropriate folder. Assuming you don't wanna play with mod settings by de-checking them and removing them from your data folder and put them in one-by-one if it works with no mods on.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Lazaruise posted:

Does this actually affect anything? Or does the game continue like normal afterwards?

There's almost always a "Let's just fight" dialogue option when you're talking to him, and I think that as long as Ulysses dies you get the slide reflecting that. I've managed to take him down in two shots (Anti-Materiel Rifle + guns at 100 + assorted chems, one sneak attack critical headshot in VATS and a second non-vats hit). Based on his dialogue, by the time you enter the Temple the missile has already been set to launch regardless of what happens between you and Ulysses. Similar to how he set up the Marked Men to swarm in, and you have to fight them no matter what.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

Sounds like the only thing left to do is a clean install. Just copy your saves into a new folder, delete it from steam and then delete the folder that held the save-games to reset the ini file when you redownload it and put the save-games back in the appropriate folder. Assuming you don't wanna play with mod settings by de-checking them and removing them from your data folder and put them in one-by-one if it works with no mods on.

This was one of the first things I did and nothing. Think I might just give up on it, this poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

At what point in the main-game do the DLCs take place?

Are any available from the start of a new game?

Do any of them require completing the main storyline?

I have the first two but I'm wondering if I should pick up the next two before starting a new game or not. I'm also considering waiting to see if they go on sale, say for Black Friday or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can access any DLC from the very start of the game, though they're balanced around mid-level characters. There's nothing in the main storyline that opens them up, nor is anything beyond your own curiosity the driving force behind getting to the DLC in the first place.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ploughing through all the DLC and some new mods now, and I got to say I still love this game.

Though the collar mechanics in Dead Money got old in five minutes.

I'm seriously pumped to play the other three DLC though. My only ah, problem with the new Mods as all the female freaks have the dirty tanned freak dude head on them.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

You can access any DLC from the very start of the game, though they're balanced around mid-level characters. There's nothing in the main storyline that opens them up, nor is anything beyond your own curiosity the driving force behind getting to the DLC in the first place.

This should probably be added to the OP, as well as the various weight limits and ability to return. From what I remember:

Dead Money: No weight/gear restrictions; the game takes all of your stuff before beginning the DLC proper, and gives it back after you are finished. Recommended level 20+. Cannot leave before completion, cannot return after completion.

Honest Hearts: Can take only 75 pounds of gear (can be made 100 with certain perks / skill checks). No recommended level (everything scales). Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion via fast-travel to Northern Passage.

Old World Blues: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 15, but at high levels the scaling seems to get out of control and the enemies turn into bullet sponges. Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion with teleport device.

Lonesome Road: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 25+. Can leave/return at any time before and after completion by fast travel to Canyon Wreckage.

It might be useful to have some info about recommended perks/skills (Lockpick / Repair for Dead Money, Survival for Honest Hearts, Science for Old World Blues, etc.), and anything else that would help someone not inadvertently screw themselves.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Simon Draskovic posted:

Survival for Honest Hearts

How important is this? I'm about to start that DLC in the morning and since the Survival skill seems incredibly useless(not playing hardcore) I haven't put any points in it.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Combat difficulty scales well on Honest Hearts, but there is a lot of content behind Hard locked doors that a low level character would have to take into consideration when assigning skill points. I recommend doing Honest Hearts later because the enemies are more interesting with anti-materiel rifles and brush guns than with 10mm SMGs and hunting rifles.

Dead Money scales as well as Honest Hearts, but it's a lot more reliant on skill checks - you can complete the main quests in Honest Hearts without any high skills, you'll just miss out on a lot of goodies behind locked doors. In Dead Money you need the skills to get the optimal ending. I wouldn't start Dead Money without being able to get your Lockpick and Speech (and preferably Science) up to at least 75.

Agree that Old World Blues is easier with lower level characters. Had no trouble beating it with a level 19 character, but had some hairy moments trying to beat it with a level 45. I'm pretty sure Lonesome Road has some fairly hard skill checks that are needed just to advance, but it can be designed that way as it's the only DLC you can leave before it's completed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Favourite perk of the moment, Sneering Imperialist. That art might be a new avatar at some point for me.

Shame there is no Mod for the uniform though.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Xik posted:

How important is this? I'm about to start that DLC in the morning and since the Survival skill seems incredibly useless(not playing hardcore) I haven't put any points in it.

Survival is still useful if you aren't playing hardcore as it increases the healing benefits of food and drink, and there is a LOT of good Survival-related items in Honest Hearts, but the game seems to be made around playing on Hardcore. Non-hardcore is ridiculously easy once you get a good collection of stimpacks, and once you get the Roughing It bedroll from Lonesome Road you wouldn't even need those.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

poptart_fairy posted:

Is the launcher crashing or the actual game? I had that problem until I made Windows 7 run the launcher executable in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Xik posted:

I don't think it's strictly necessary, but I know there were a bunch of times that I saw a Survival dialogue option that I had no hope of reaching. HH also introduced a bunch of new craftable items, so in my mind it feels tied to that skill. ClearAirTurbulence is right, Lockpick is useful, but since I had it at 100 I didn't pay too much attention to the levels of the doors and lockers I was ransacking. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

wolffenstein posted:

Is the launcher crashing or the actual game? I had that problem until I made Windows 7 run the launcher executable in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Yeah this works fine for the launcher but you have to be careful in Windows 7 because setting the launcher to XP SP3 compatibility mode will also set Steam to that compatibility mode if you launch through Steam. Afterwards Steam will refuse to start and you'll have to delete the registry entries that set those modes since for some reason they won't actually be available to change in the properties window.

Your best best is to just use the launcher once, set your options, and then rename FalloutNV.exe to be the same thing as the launcher so Steam just goes straight into the game proper and skips the glitchy launcher.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Though the collar mechanics in Dead Money got old in five minutes.

It's amazing how many lines of dialog were written to try and justify all of the stupid restrictions they put on the player. Hell, in the end it didn't even follow its own logic since after killing Christine if you don't make it to the elevator the first messages you'll receive is that Dog and Dean have died even though they were on different floors of the hotel and perfectly safe, hence your sprint to the elevator.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 26, 2011

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got to Vault 22 last night. gently caress that place so hard! :gonk:

I also was originally planing to not take any companions and just be a loner. But I recruited Cass to hand over the Energy Weapon dealers in Freeside and I just couldn't do it. So I guess I'm stuck with her.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah this works fine for the launcher but you have to be careful in Windows 7 because setting the launcher to XP SP3 compatibility mode will also set Steam to that compatibility mode if you launch through Steam. Afterwards Steam will refuse to start and you'll have to delete the registry entries that set those modes since for some reason they won't actually be available to change in the properties window.
I don't seem to have this problem with my workaround. I navigated to steamapps/common/fallout new vegas, right-clicked the launcher, and checked compatibility mode. Steam doesn't seem to be running in that mode (but then again I always have Steam running), and when I start NV, all I get is a UAC prompt. No big deal.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I got to Vault 22 last night. gently caress that place so hard! :gonk:

I also was originally planing to not take any companions and just be a loner. But I recruited Cass to hand over the Energy Weapon dealers in Freeside and I just couldn't do it. So I guess I'm stuck with her.

You know, you can work with Cass to set up the guys at the Silver Rush and take them down too right? Do so.

And all that laser gun booty is yours!

Kinda sad how your Honest Hearts Companions don't turn up again when you leave too. I got attached to Dino and Dog.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking about the ending of LR, and I think a big part of why I liked it was because it tied into themes of the other DLC. Unless you're playing someone who WANTS to nuke everything, you have to let go of ED-E (the rear end in a top hat options around ED-E are great in how dickish they are, too, and I can't ever take them). You either accept and take responsibility for your part in the past (though a lot of the time the answer "I didn't/don't recall doing that" has Ulysses call you a child or a jerk), or you deny it. You accept the symbolism and meaning of history or you reject it and create your own.

You either get smacked down by that mutated creature with the ability to kill you in one hit or you take every drug known to man and blow everything in the Courier's Mile away with a shotgun. :clint:

Has anyone done a low-int run of Lonesome Road yet? Does it have any unique dialogue with Ulysses?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 26, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

wolffenstein posted:

I don't seem to have this problem with my workaround. I navigated to steamapps/common/fallout new vegas, right-clicked the launcher, and checked compatibility mode. Steam doesn't seem to be running in that mode (but then again I always have Steam running), and when I start NV, all I get is a UAC prompt. No big deal.

Yeah it doesn't always happen, but if it does here's the fix http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Two more DLC are coming out tomorrow.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Courier%27s_Stash

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Runners%27_Arsenal

Gun Runners brings quite a bit new weapons and some uniques to the playing field. :siren: Bozar! :siren:

As well as a few more achievements.

Courier's Stash is just all the pre-order DLC that was stupidly spread out among 4 different vendors.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know, you can work with Cass to set up the guys at the Silver Rush and take them down too right? Do so.

And all that laser gun booty is yours!

Kinda sad how your Honest Hearts Companions don't turn up again when you leave too. I got attached to Dino and Dog.

When Cass said we should kill them all I agreed. So I guess eventually were gonna have to charge in and just kill them all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
With the availability of countless gun mods for PC, the Gun Runner's pack seems like poor value purely from a consumer's POV (I understand a lot of work may have gone in from the developer's side). But a properly modeled Bozar is tempting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

When Cass said we should kill them all I agreed. So I guess eventually were gonna have to charge in and just kill them all.

Throw Cass some good armour and let the good times commence!

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I keep seeing people wishing they could rub meeting Josh Graham in kaiser's face.
Graham explains how that would cause a Kaiser Logic Loop failure, and that would be bad for you.

Kaiser says graham is dead. To announce that youve killed graham even is to question that which kaiser said and prove it wrong.

lastly, making war against good people is bad for the soul.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smol posted:

Good idea. Also this leads to a question I had:

In the Factions section of the OP, I put up Mr. House's face. I admit that after hours of play, I am just used to it, but do you guys think it is a spoiler? If so, can someone help me make up a faction banner trying to use non-spoiler stuff for House with the same image porportions as the other two?

Secondly, can someone help me make banners? I had two in mind.

Both will be 800x50.

One would be the Fallout cartoon character with some random background, I don't know what.

The other one is the NCR Ranger in the red background with its face at the end of the banner, text on left.

Simon Draskovic posted:

This should probably be added to the OP, as well as the various weight limits and ability to return. From what I remember:

Dead Money: No weight/gear restrictions; the game takes all of your stuff before beginning the DLC proper, and gives it back after you are finished. Recommended level 20+. Cannot leave before completion, cannot return after completion.

Honest Hearts: Can take only 75 pounds of gear (can be made 100 with certain perks / skill checks). No recommended level (everything scales). Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion via fast-travel to Northern Passage.

Old World Blues: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 15, but at high levels the scaling seems to get out of control and the enemies turn into bullet sponges. Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion with teleport device.

Lonesome Road: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 25+. Can leave/return at any time before and after completion by fast travel to Canyon Wreckage.

It might be useful to have some info about recommended perks/skills (Lockpick / Repair for Dead Money, Survival for Honest Hearts, Science for Old World Blues, etc.), and anything else that would help someone not inadvertently screw themselves.

I'll update it later today along with goon takes on it. Gotta go to Uni now.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 26, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

With the availability of countless gun mods for PC, the Gun Runner's pack seems like poor value purely from a consumer's POV (I understand a lot of work may have gone in from the developer's side). But a properly modeled Bozar is tempting.

I'd be all over it if I were playing NV on a console, though. Hell, if it has proper animations I might spring for it next time I play NV too, most mods use default ones that don't line up at all with their weapons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dead Man Posting posted:

In the Factions section of the OP, I put up Mr. House's face. I admit that after hours of play, I am just used to it, but do you guys think it is a spoiler? If so, can someone help me make up a faction banner trying to use non-spoiler stuff for House with the same image porportions as the other two?

As a suggestion, maybe you could use a picture of Victor (with a mention of how he's Mr. House's property as we're told at the very beginning of the game). It's not much of a spoiler since he's one of the first NPCs you encounter.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm gonna get the GUNZ DLC simply because I got the spare change for it. I'm kind of hoping though they'd do a loose ends minor quest DLC that continues the game after the main storyline for a few more missions and just a general look on how your choices turned out for the Mojave.

Doubt it'd happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Nice OP man! Maybe I can make some logos for Old World Blues and Lonesome Road if you want to.

EDIT: Nevermind, why not use the dlc ads from Steam?

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 26, 2011